News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Brightest before the duskfall

Started by Anastasia, January 17, 2022, 10:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Not resisting so no save.

You see it. Tall, lanky is right. Filthy blonde hair that's too long. Human-like on a glance but its eyes are black. It wears a bloodied smock and goes from rapt interest to fury to a dozen other emotions. A dead thing, a rotting body given form.

You know this thing. Pardol, a servant of Orcus. Obscure if known, one said to have long ago been some sort of mortal doctor. It's said he mostly keeps a low profile and works on his insane experiments. Notably unstable and uncontrolled, but that's not really a drawback in Thanatos unless you irritate Orcus or a rival strong enough to kill you.

This isn't quite his normal MO, he tends not to openly provoke too often, but he's unstable enough it's 100% within his abilities. Or if he was commanded to do it, one supposes.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

She lets Antenora and Syala know while allowing the mercane to provide his name and continue his tale.

Our brain-butcher is probably Pardol. Servant of Orcus. Matches the iconography described. Of course it's all easily faked too.

Anastasia

"I don't remember much else until then, just a blur. I can clarify anything you want. My name is Barnen." He answers.

Of course it is. I'm trying to square why Orcus would pick a fight with us.

It could be unrelated to Orcus. A mad dog may lash out for whatever reason it likes. But...it doesn't make as much sense with Hope's Landing being attacked too.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Perhaps Orcus owes someone a favour? We're not exactly popular down there.

"Thank you Barnen, you've already been very helpful."

Even if he doesn't consciously remember, probe thoughts can access suppressed or hidden memories, so she'll see if it can find his memory of entering Sylica in there.

Anastasia

It can.

He enters Sylica through the planar boundary with Elysium. He simply enters with others, part of the crowd. Anonymity through participation. There's nothing remarkable about it. But you do notice something. His tells of being mind controlled aren't there at first, but as he goes, they slowly become more notable.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

What is he thinking at that point?

What is he thinking when he takes out the poison?

Anastasia

He's thinking that he can complete his task in both cases.

A steady sense of determination with just the slightest bit of giddiness.

That master Pardol will be pleased.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Does he know what the poison will do?

After ascertaining that she looks back at older memories, of the surgeries to see if they match what he told them, and of Pardol giving him his orders.

And when he learned Pardol's name.

Anastasia

Something that will please master, he suspects, but you get a sense it's not important. Not truly in his right mind like this.

They all match. Once it's done Pardol caresses the mercane's face with both hands, smearing blood all over his cheeks. He stares into the mercane's eyes. The eyes turn with the fires of madness as he whispers how beautiful his mind is now. How he'll do what he needs to do. How he'll watch them all suffer and die. How the realm of that filthy whore will burn for it. How she won't compete with him for master's dark attention.

The orders come, whispered into the mercane's ear like a secret shared between gossiping girls. Follow where you are lead. Go to Sylica. Mercia. Open and spread the vial you are given. He'll make him proud. Please him. Please Pardol. They'll be together again if he's good and he'll again show his favor by sculpting his brain and flesh. His beautiful body. A masterpiece to be made, to be changed. So many beautiful changes to be made.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Any other memories referring to said filthy whore that can give better context as to which one of Sylica's deities has garnered Orcus's attention?

Anastasia

Nothing, Pardol doesn't go into that sort of detail, unfortunately.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Was he given any instruction for what to do after unleashing the poison?

Obviously he wasn't expected to survive but she's still curious if anything's in there.

Also did he see any other captives suffering the same fate?

Anastasia

No instructions beyond that. Not that it seemed to bother the mercane in the state he was in.

Nope, no other captives seen, but as he was held in a cell there was hardly much chance.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"It's clear in any case that you meant no harm yourself and were the victim of another party," she says aloud after her scan through his thoughts. "Where is your home? We can send you there."

And to Antenora and Syala? His memories check out with his story. Pardol is apparently jealous of some attention someone here has garnered from Orcus. Have either of you had any issues with him lately I never heard about?

Anastasia

"A small house in the Consortium," The mercane answers, then bows. "I owe you and yours a great debt. If I can ever repay it..."

Not at all, beyond the usual anyway.

I've heard he's unstable. This may not be the actions of a rational creature.

I despise that answer, but I must confess it would fit such a loathsome being.
<Afina> Forever.