News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Brightest before the duskfall

Started by Anastasia, January 17, 2022, 10:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

"Perhaps we'll have occasion to call that debt one day, but for now go forward in peace," Alicia says, opening a gate for him to where he wants to go.

And checking with the other three goddesses.

Not me, but I think this is blowback from other activities you've done recently. Someone called in a favour, Orcus agitated one of his unstable minions in the right direction, all without seeming to order anything directly. Saves him from getting off his throne.

Anastasia

Entirely possible, Marie. That fits just as well.

In practice I don't think it matters much for our response. What I'm chewing over is why Hope's Landing was also attacked, but I've heard nothing else of other instances.

Shall I investigate this, sister? If Pardol has attracted any attention or made any moves recently, I can find out. If Orcus has tipped his hand, I may well be able to find that too.

'I confess I have nothing that comes to mind, beyond a general opposition to Orcus. We've had other problems,' Latha chimes in for her part.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

If you can spare the time, Jessica. And consult with Hope's Landing to see if they uncovered anything different from what we did.

Anastasia

As Jessica is surely off? Antenora comes to your side.

"The timing could be better," she confesses in a low voice to you. "But odds are in our favor Orcus won't respond fast to any provocations short of extreme. Also Syala's right, we're missing one piece here, the reason why both of us were attacked and not just Sylica or just Hope's Landing."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

The two of them return back to Liberton and privacy - perhaps with Syala if she was nearby too.

"We just can't afford to respond to the provocation right now," she admits. "Greater matters are in play and we can't risk being indisposed fighting battles in the Abyss."

Anastasia

At the moment it's just you and Antenora. She sits, smoothing her dress before, "I agree - but. If we can strike at Pardol quickly and without great risk of a war, I see no reason not to do it. We can't let this go unaddressed, and if it does give us an opportunity...unless, of course, that's the entire plan and it's to have us incur Orcus's wrath and be distracted."

At that Syala catches up, appearing into the room and sitting next to Antenora. "You're thinking like a devil, Antenora, not a demon."

"Heaven forbid I think like a demon," Antenora's retort lacks heat to it, but instead, "It may be best to see what Moore turns up as does Jessica."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"No, I agree," Alicia shakes her head. "Whoever orchestrated this, I don't think it was Orcus at the first step. But it would certainly benefit them for us to be so busily distracted and dealing with an escalating conflict with Thanatos. Sometimes you just have to bite your tongue."

Anastasia

"For reference, Shar is suspect number 1 but hardly the only one," Antenora says, "Talona could be behind it, or a dozen other enemies we've made and the timing is either opportunistic or coincidental. In the latter it really is nothing more than bad luck." She's quiet a few moments after that, as if lost in thought.

"Well?" Syala asks.

"I'm asking Moore how his end goes, in case that illuminates this further," Antenora answers. "Let's see. Another mercane victim, innocent, and likely part of the same group that was captured. Moore did have a small conflict with Orcus semi recently."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Us being a diversion for an attack on Moore is plausible but doesn't fit with Pardol's ravings about Sylica specifically," Alicia says. "But yes, I suspect Shar as the primary motive here, or one of her underlings. Talona and the Nameless Lying Demon are also potential movers of something like this who'd have the necessary pull with Orcus."

Anastasia

"I think we may have gotten lucky this time," Antenora says at last, "We countered Pardol's tricks rather than jumping to conclusions." Drumming her fingers, "No matter who is behind this, and I'd like to know who very much, I think that last bit clinches it. It's a distraction. Maybe from Shadow but maybe from something else. Either way..."

"If Pardol's an easy target we can consider it then," Syala points out.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"Or worry about it later, when things have calmed down. We just can't spare the time or resource to get entangled in tit for tat," Alicia concludes.

Anastasia

Okay, give me a d100 while I get Moore to catch up a bit. I don't think he needs more than a post or two.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

[19:46] <@Ebiris> roll 1d100
[19:46] <Rei-chan> Ebiris rolled : 1d100 --> [ 1d100=32 ]{32}

Anastasia

Soon Jessica returns. "I'm back, sister," she announces as you look up at her presence. "We found Pardol."
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

"That was fast," Alicia says, surprised.

"Maybe he wanted to be found?" Marie speculates. She's here now too!