News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Samos, village under a curse

Started by Prince Herb, July 14, 2004, 05:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince Herb

Caflice rolls 6+4=10 for Gather Information

Caflice goes out into the village street to see what the locals can tell him.   He chats with the children and the old folks, with the women at the well, with the smith at his forge, and with the potter at his wheel.   They know little about the black unicorn, other than believing it to be connected with the missing boy and the stone circle.   One of the women at the well mentions that she has heard that there was a message chalked on the fallen stone, but that no one could make out the strange characters.

Chimera_Zero

Hannah nods and proceeds to go out and gather info as well.

Prince Herb

Hannah rolls 10+1=11 in an unskilled attempt to gather information

Hannah learns nothing new about the curse from the villagers.

Prince Herb

Seraya finds Anaxagoras isn't in the village today, but has gone up to the high pastures with another hunter, to help guard the flocks.

Seraya

With Anaxagoras out and about, Seraya decides the next best thing aside from going after him is to speak to Lysimachus. Returning to the home she and the others stayed the night, she searches him out to ask about his knowledge of the black beast. Worst come to worst I'll simply have to wait for Anaxagoras' return...
Seraya Shadowharper

Prince Herb

Seraya makes a Diplomacy check and rolls 9+7=16

"Dear lady," says Lysimachus,"I know little of these things.   Unicorns are described by the writers on natural history, but none of them talk of black unicorns, let alone describe the awful scream we hear each night.   I believe it is connected with the stone circle and with the magician whom legend says once lived there, long, long since."

"There are a number of idle rumours about the stone circle, most of which have sprung up recently, and most of which can be discounted.   I myself believe that the recent collapse of the stone has unsealed something which was meant to be sealed away for all time." He sighs.   "The creature seems impossible to kill, by the way.   It melts away into air when cornered or badly hurt and returns later that night or the next.   I do not know what action we should take, other than sacrificing to the gods and seeking their protection, or if, indeed, there is anything we can do."

Robbie

Caflice returns to Lysimachus' home, intent on waiting for the others here, so he can tell them what he heard about the black unicorn thing outside the village.

Chimera_Zero

Hannah also returns to  Lysimachus' home, disappointed that she found no info.

Seraya

"Do you know of this legendary magician? I've found that legend and rumor often have a grain of truth in them."
Seraya Shadowharper

Prince Herb

Lysimachus rolls 1+5=6 on Knowledge[Arcana], a bad failure

Lysimachus searches his memories and finally responds.

"Circe?   She's mentioned in Homer, of course.   Turned Odysseus' men into pigs, as I recall.   I don't know what connection she has with these stones, though."

He shrugs.

"How about these other rumors? Anything at all that could connect the unicorn?"

Lysimachus looks scornful.   "Idle chitchat.   I don't pay any attention to them, and nor should you, if you want my advice."

Seraya nods. "I understand. Could you tell me more about Circe, elder?"

"She was the daughter of the sun god Helios, and a powerful sorceress.   She turned Odysseus' men into pigs, when they intruded on her island.   That's the main thing she's famous for, although I understand that Jason and his Argonauts also encountered her." He pauses.   "In short, a great and powerful magician and alchemist.   Not someone you'd want to offend.   But I rather doubt she was ever here ; I never even heard of her even leaving her island."

Seraya rubbed her chin as she thought. "And the stone circle... was it a religious symbol of some sort?"

"That's hard to say ; certainly when I was a child, I heard old men say so."   Lysimachus considers this for a moment.   "But if it was, it wasn't a temple like the temple to Athena in Mantinea, or anything else I've ever seen."

"But that's speculation ; I doubt that the old men were inspired by the Spirit of Pure Reason.   It's a stone structure of archaic construction and uncertain date.   Anything else you may hear isn't soundly based in any way."

"If it were, its collapse could indicate... something."

Lysimachus shakes his head.   "That means nothing.   Things other than temples collapse, and the reason is often the displeasure of the Gods."

"Of course. Thank you for speaking with me, elder." Seraya bows respectfully to Lysimachus.

Robbie

Caflices comes into the house, and sees Hannah standing around, looking crestfallen. "Did you find anything about the creature?"

Chimera_Zero

"Unfortunately no. How about you?" Hannah questions.

Seraya

After talking with the elder, Seraya headed back to discuss with Caflice and Hannah about what they could, or should do. The black unicorn must be defeated... By Athena's will I shall overcome this evil beast.
Seraya Shadowharper

Robbie

Caflice leans against a wall. "Well, I heard that the creature has something to do with a stone circle somewhere in the area. One fallen stone apparently has some strange writing scrawled on it.  Maybe that's where we should look."

Chimera_Zero

"Agreed." Hannah says. Hannah then walks toward the door and opens it, "Lets go.", she says with a determined look in her eyes.