News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

Field Promotions

Started by Brian, October 05, 2004, 02:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjorn

Finn rolls her eyes.  "Right.  Sure thing.  An' how low are we on memory?"  

Opening her locker, she pulls out her effects -- a deck of cards and a single coin.  Tucking them in her pockets, she heads back to the table and slumps down in her seat, pulling up the console to check what messages she has, if any.

Brian

"We are and were below 5% usage," Hale reports.

Finn finds only two messages waiting for her specifically.  One from her parents, both solemn, but still somewhat friendly as they wish her good luck.  The other message is marked private, indicating it should probably be viewed when no one else is around.

Eric has yet to view his messages; both of them are marked private.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Finn clears the console, and then leans forward, resting her elbows on the table.  Pulling out her deck, she starts to shuffle it.  "Anybody up fer a game?"

Ebiris

Albert looks up blearily, seemingly still rather out of it. "Wait, wait, wait a minute... the whole first crew is dead?" he waits a second, whether to process that or for a response from the others is unknown, before proceeding anyway, "The ship is heavily damaged, we don't know where we are, and I'm... captain?"

Sighing heavily and rubbing below his eyes, he adds a muttered, "Bless me."

Bjorn

"Well, look at it this way," Finn offers cheerily  "If you fuck up really badly in the first bit, ain't nobody gonna know it was yer fault!"

Brian

Eric chuckles good naturedly, and pats Albert on the back.  "No problem; you are blessed," he says.  Rubbing his hands together briefly, he says, "Well, we can't do much until we pass quarantine.  But we can at least assemble a plan of action for what we need to do once we get out.  My first priority is going to be to get the robots back online to make the entire ship safe."  He then looks at Albert cautiously.  "Assuming, of course, that this is alright with you, Captain."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Finn cocks an eyebrow.  "I fought you were hydraulics," she points out.  "Seems that the robots would be Kieran here's job, wot?"

Ebiris

Albert blinks oddly at Eric for a long moment before replying. "Yes," he says slowly, "With most of the crew either dead or still in stasis, we need as much automation as we can manage.  I suppose I can work on repairing the communications system."

Brian

"The mechanics, yes," Eric replies.  "But most likely, the hydraulics are what's damaged.  It's unlikely anything fell and broke the robots -- they just got their hydraulics full of dust."  He frowns.  "Hale, do we have cleansuits for this?"

"Affirmative," Hale replies after a moment.  "There are ten of them within the airlock of the quarantine room."  There is another pause.  "One of them may even-- unknown quantity."  This time there's a brief sputtering of static.  "It is possible that one of them will fit you, Crewman Eric."

"Thanks," Eric says dryly.

"You're welcome!" Hale enthuses.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

"Anyways, seems pretty clear to me," Finn says.   Seeing a general lack of interest, she sighs, shuffles the cards one final time, and then efficiently lays out a game of solitaire.  "Get the maintenance 'bots up an' running.  Then I take a walk, fix the comm array, and then the Cap'n gets on the horn.  In the meanwhile, Daisy here," she jerks her head at Kelly, "does wot he can for Hale."

Ebiris

Albert just rests with his head in his hands, doing his best not to freak out.

Dracos

Kelly, meanwhile, had turned his attention to pouring over the reports in detail, trying to organize things in his mind into the categories of short term fix, long term fix, and unfixable, ordered by priority.  He also checks what's in his locker, briefly nodding to Finn's comment before continuing on to check what information (mail, network status, access rights, whatnot) he could garner at one of the terminals while still in quarentine.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

After putting on his wrist-strap interface, Kelly studied the print out on its tiny holoscreen, text scrolling by rapidly.  In short order, he finds the A.I. priority list (crew safety is number one).

In terms of a fix, parts of Hale will need to be taken offline to work on them, as he's not able to go through a 'hot-fix'.  This means that the worst of the damage can't be addressed until it's safe to leave the ship without any automatic control.  Hale is currently running in 'good child mode', and will only speak when spoken to, outside of emergencies or specific events (crew-members completing thaw being one of them).

If you're willing to take the A.I.s communication protocols offline, those could be fixed in a few hours.

In terms of mail, there's four transmissions from your father, one of which is marked 'private', and two from your sisters (collectively).  There's also some text messages (about ten) from some students on Corvalis asking the mighty scientist what it's like to be in space, though they obviously shouldn't have expected any kind of swift reply.

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Kelly puts off all of them until later, briefly considering.

"I can get the communication system fixed, but Hale will have to be quiet while I do it.  Anyone have a problem with that or any last questions to ask?"

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Bjorn

"Go for," Finn says, finishing her game.  With practiced dexterity, she sweeps up the cards, reshuffles them, and lays out a game of pyramid.