News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Field Promotions

Started by Brian, October 05, 2004, 02:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

"Ah sure thing." Kelly nodded, more confident stepping onto familiar ground.  Sitting down he first went over what was 'known' already about it, and examining it then going over the rod logic of it specifically.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

After about an hour of poring over the rod-logic records, Kelly basically managed to come up with the following sequence of events:

The robot was ordered to go work on the airlock.  While it was in the airlock something happened to cause a breach or a rupture -- this same breach also caused the robot to unbalance, but they're designed to handle that sort of thing, so it caught itself, managed to save the PPC unit, and then when it managed to get back into a proper working position, it finished repairing an airlock, and then waited for further orders, since the internal door no longer opened correctly.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"Okay, looks like the robot was ordered to do some repairs on the airlock, the door probably getting shut after it to keep the rest of the ship secure while it was doing the repairs  on the outer door.  Something happened during this to blow open the outer door.  Probably a collision.  That's what caused the damage to the robot's hull and the door.  The robot managed to save itself and catch the PPC unit, automatically continuing with repairs until it finished.  When it was done, having not received any orders to exit, it went into wait mode."

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Rezantis

Kieran shakes his head.  "What was it sent there to fix?  And what makes you say it was a collision?"
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Dracos

"Well, first thing I would think of that'd bust a seal while also rattling the airlock around.  Could be something else.  And the outer door.  Seems it had some minor damage on it that they wanted repaired."

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Rezantis

Kieran taps the screen.

"Don't guess; just tell me exactly what the bot records being originally sent there to fix."
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Brian

Upon examination, the bot records the command as exactly, "Go fix the port airlock."  It's only recorded after text translation, so there's no way to play it back and get an idea of who uttered it.

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"The command it got was 'go fix the port airlock.'" Kelly answered.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

After poring over the arcane and hidden meaning of this line of text for some hours, Kelly and Kieran eventually returned to their pods to rest a bit more once Hale announces that it needs them there to conduct some cursory medical scans.

After falling asleep, everyone is roused by a general alarm from Hale about two hours before quarantine is lifted.  Before anyone can ask, Hale reports, "Our braking cycle is taking us into very close proximity to the planet's atmosphere.  All operations are currently within acceptible paramaters.  The crew has been notified of the change in attitude as per standard procedure."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Finn might recover from cryostasis quickly, but unfortunately, when it comes to regular sleep, she's just as unhappy about waking up as anybody else.

As she stumbles back out into the meeting room, she grouses, "An' why 'idn't ya warn us 'bout this 'fore we went to sleep?"

Edit: stupid random tags

Brian

"I am currently in 'Good Child Mode'," Hale reports happily.  "I can only reply to questions and orders made to me, outside of emergency situations or specified alarms."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

I hate software.

"So.  If fings are all okay, c'n I get back to sleep?"

Brian

There's a pause, then.  After a moment, Hale responds with a simple, "Yes."

~exploding tag~

Ebiris

"What does this mean?" Albert asks, trying to sound authoritative. "Are we close enough for the atmosphere to pose any danger to the ship?"

Brian

"Only in theory," Hale replies.  "According to the math done on entering the system, we should maintain adequate clearance from the planet to avoid disruption.  For the purposes of safety, we will cease deceleration in fifteen minutes to reorient sensors.

"There will only be a ten minute window for course corrections before we resume braking, but this pass by the planet allows the starboard sensors to sweep the planet once before we finish braking.  This will give us time to study the planet before we make our final approach."

There's another pause then.

"General alarm," Hale announces.  "Be advised that the Eidolon will be operating in zero gravity begining in fifteen minutes, for a period of ten minutes in length."

~exploding tag~