News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

It's a crummy job, but....

Started by Brian, October 12, 2004, 05:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjorn

Making her way over to the robot, Finn checks its condition.

Brian

Other then a small dent on the casing in the back, and a chip on the front (right side), it looks perfectly intact.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

"Oi, Hale," Finn says, still studying the bot.  "What do I need to do to get this fing up and runnin' again?"

Brian

"It is in working condition," Hale reports.  "Merely unable to operate the door."

The bot finishes warming up, and turns sensors towards Finn briefly before examining the newly prepared door.  Its clamp-like apendages should be able to grip the wheel on the door, but it does not try to leave the airlock.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Finn stares, somewhat irritably, at the robot.  "An' why, eggzactly, is it unable to operate th' door?"

Brian

"Until now the door has been broken.  Now the robot is unable to operate the airlock doors because one of the crew is in the airlock, and the robot is programmed not to interfere with crew activities," Hale explains.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Finn sighs.  "Roight," she mutters, and then reaches for the airlock.  Before she opens it, though, she frowns.  "Hey, didn't Kieran say somefing about this fing having a busted pressure seal?"

Brian

"That is correct," Hale says.  "The repair robot has since repaired this damage, however."

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Finn shrugs.  "Well, then, pass all that on to Kieran, I guess," she says, opening the airlock.

Brian

After Finn opens the airlock, the repair bot scurries out and plows through the dust, moving towards a maintainence locker.  Another (somewhat larger) bot is already approaching, outfitted with some kind of quiet vaccum cleaner that leaves cannisters filled with dust lying in the corridor every few meters.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Finn frowns, watching the robot for a second.  "Hale, whazit fink it's doin'?"

Brian

"Its battery is low," Hale replies.  "It's been in energy conservation mode for several years, so it's reporting to the robotic maintainence bay.  Would you like me to indicate the path there?"

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

"Nah, that's okay," Finn says.  "I'm gonna fix the main control on th' airlock.  Lemme know when the bot's fixed; I wanna send it out t' get a look at what's outside th' ship."

Brian

"Understood," Hale says quietly, while Finn works on getting the crowbar out and replacing the panel.

~exploding tag~

Brian

Some hours pass before the new panel is finally in place, and working (to all tests short of cycling the airlock and exiting the ship).  In the meantime, the bots have come through the nearby hallways at least twice with their vaccums and have done a good job of reducing the general level of dust to only a centimeter or so.  Hale still hasn't mentioned that a bot is ready to go outside the ship, but it's getting to be late, in ship time, and it's been a while since Finn's had any food....

...not to mention that the captain said he wanted to talk to everyone once they were done with their most immediate tasks.

~exploding tag~