News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

The Sons of Kilroy

Started by Brian, October 13, 2004, 03:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

After clambering down the access hatch in the middle of the floor, Kelly is left more or less alone with all of Hale's processors, memory banks, and backups.  One of the robots follows Kelly down and immediately goes to check the status of the electrical system.

At a glance, everything looks intact, save for the fact that one of the primary memory modules is missing.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"Well that's interesting.  Hale, who has come down here aside from myself since this mission began?  Can you access that information?"

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

"This room has been accessed on multiple occasions throughout the course of the mission," Hale replies.  "Complete logs are maintained, with the exception of downtime due to the outage."

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"Is their any record of a primary memory module being removed?"

Kelly went over near the computers, logging in and beginning to look around.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

"Negative," Hale replies almost instantly.  A moment later he adds, "However, processing is down to a level that indicates this is a possibility.  One section of memory is known to be either damaged, missing, or protected from access."

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"Hale, check your file table index.  What general data was stored on primary memory module H?" Kelly said reading off the slot where the module had been.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Hale thinks about this for a minute, and eventually replies, "Confidential information regarding the mission and all primary crew bios are located on that sector, as well as the main communications drivers for integrated systems operands: Mindie and Hale."

This would explain why Hale's communication center needed to be recompiled by hand.

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"So, if your lifesign scanners are working correctly, who is everyone currently not in ice sleep on the ship?  If they aren't, is there any chance your scanners can hunt down the current position of any and all memory modules on this ship not contained within this room."

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

"Captain Albert has just left the bridge, and is en route to Captain Kim's quarters.  Crewman Eric is in the port workshop.  Crewman Finn is currently at the port airlock.  Crewman Kelly is in the computer core.  Crewman Kieran has just entered the bridge.  No other live-signs detected," Hale replies.  After a moment, he adds, "I am unable to detect the presence of any memory modules outside of this room."

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"Hum.  Hale, are there any standing orders given to you that may in any vague or specific sense threaten the current crew?"

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

"Safety is priority number one," he answers immediately.

After a minute of considering the question, he adds, "There are currently no standing orders from the First Crew."

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"Can you do a rundown of all ship equipment with your scanners and compare the data with the initial ship manifest?"

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

This ends up taking Hale quite a while.  Once he's done, it takes Kelly judicious filtering to find a list of discrepancies that seem worth noticing:

One of the probes and two vaccuum suits are missing, along with one of the EVA toolkits.  Beyond that, everything is still on the ship as far as Hale can tell ... though, he can't monitor most of the Eidolon, currently.  Just the Prometheus.

For what it's worth, Hale does report that two of the damaged repair bots have been fixed and are currently working on clearing out the dust.  A third reports having power but not being operational yet.

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"Hale, can you bring up the technical administrative log of deleted or editted files?"

If Hale can, Kelly reviews them, mentally cataloguing only any specific instances that look particularly odd to him and creating a brief minirecord of only these instances, organized by the authority level of the person who made them.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Hale doesn't have the deleted data, but he does have records of what was deleted.  Almost all of what was deleted were messages between the crew, from the crew back to Congress, and from Congresss to the crew.  Generally, a message can be deleted simply by the recipient.  In the case of a message to the whole crew, only the captain can delete it.

The only other notable deletions were by the other programmer, and while the filenames could be intentionally deceptive, it looks like he was just trying to code a better interface for the comm system right up until the moment that everyone died.

Outside of that, it all appears to be routine file management.

~exploding tag~