News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arakawa

Well, what else would they do with the knife? It can't go in the plane, and they're not likely to make a nice offer to put it into long term storage for when you come back...

(Unless there was someone seeing you off?)
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Yuthirin

The knife cost me $70 in the store, there was no fine. They just loomed threateningly at me for 30 minutes while they checked if they needed to arrest me or not.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on January 18, 2012, 10:24:30 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on January 18, 2012, 10:06:20 PM
I thought it was in a drawer underneath my computer monitor.

End of the story: I lost a $70 knife, 30 minutes, and some of my pride.

They confiscated the knife?

Of course. They confiscate nail files, Dune.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on January 18, 2012, 10:43:15 PM
Well, what else would they do with the knife? It can't go in the plane, and they're not likely to make a nice offer to put it into long term storage for when you come back...

(Unless there was someone seeing you off?)

They had unfortunately already left!

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on January 18, 2012, 10:50:48 PMOf course. They confiscate nail files, Dune.

Yeah, I figured. Just wanted to be clear on it. That does blow pretty hard.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Iron Dragoon

When I came back from my first tour in Iraq, we returned on a Delta charter flight (military only). I got onto this flight wearing full combat equipment (body armor, kevlar helmet, magazine pouches, ect.), a SAW (machine gun), a drum of security ammo (200 rounds), a 6 inch combat/fighting knife, and a couple of people had M203 (grenade launcher) rounds and hand grenades.

Before I got onto the plane with all of the above, they confiscated my multi-tool because it was an 'unauthorized weapon.'

To this day, my response is simply: "....whut?"
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Brian

I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Brian

hrg

Sometimes, I really hate my country.

http://www.wolfhirschhorn.org/2012/01/amelia/brick-walls/

At least I'm allowed to complain about it. >_<

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

My only opinion is that the business of deciding who gets transplants and why is absolutely miserable.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

That's probably true, but this wasn't about saying she could get an organ or not -- it's about the doctors saying that even if the parents donated their own, they refused to do the surgery.

~exploding tag~

Jon

Quality of life is certainly a factor that goes into approving invasive and traumatic medical treatment such as surgery. I know there are plenty of cases where the family of a patient wants some heroic measures to keep someone alive, and it's the doctor's ethical responsibility to say no.

In this case, man, I don't know. Is it even medically a good idea for an adult to donate a kidney to a child?

Arakawa

The underlying issue, however, is unequivocally not unique to the United States. So if this prompts emotions, it's more like hating modern society in general and the methods it uses to solve ethical dilemmas :-|
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Yuthirin

Quote from: Brian on January 19, 2012, 06:54:03 PM
hrg

Sometimes, I really hate my country.

http://www.wolfhirschhorn.org/2012/01/amelia/brick-walls/

At least I'm allowed to complain about it. >_<

I am entirely unsurprised by this situation and I'm inclined to side with the doctors on their decision.

However, their social worker is a giant pile of shit.