News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepanda

Minecraft gives me headaches so no joining the Minecraft server for me. -_-

Merc

Heh, same situation with headaches for me. It's pretty much why I play Terraria instead.

2D 16-bit (no headaches!) vs 3D 8-bit (OW! PAIN!). >_>
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Brian

You can disable the head-bob, but if it's 3d in general you don't like, well....  Nothing to be done. :\

I tried Terraria, but it feels very limited in a direct comparison to minecraft, at least in terms of creative building--  But I own both, so I will probably try playing Terraria again at some point.  Just ... having only left and right instead of the entire compass rose to choose from....  I dunno. :/
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

I managed to stay up 'till 4 AM. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

Brian: It's primarily the first person perspective. Something about that really screws with my senses and I get dizzy/headaches from that. Games like Portal/Doom/etc also do the same to me.

I can handle 3D with third person perspective (usually, depends on the camera), but the third person mode from minecraft generally looks pretty clunky from what I've seen of it in youtube videos, and I suspect it will both do little to help with headaches and little to help with building.

As for Terraria, yeah, it really is more limited in terms of creative building. Minecraft's focus is build > explore > fight. Terraria's focus is explore + fight > build.

There's a patch coming out next week for Terraria that is adding some 200+ new items though, a lot of them decorative (but a fair chunk are combat related too), and some of the stuff being added is things like switches and pumps. Still not close to the level of minecraft for building, but getting closer.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Brian

~exploding tag~

DY

My PS3 just died in the middle of a game, damn you yellow light of death! >_<
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Yuthirin

Was it Skyrim? I have a friend whose PS3 was murdered by Skyrim.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

I am foolishly stubborn and sick. :(
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Ugh, been going around, yeah.  Hope you feel better soon, Drac. :\

~exploding tag~

DY

Quote from: Yuthirin on November 29, 2011, 05:22:13 PM
Was it Skyrim? I have a friend whose PS3 was murdered by Skyrim.

Actually it was. >.>

Also, hope you get well soon Dracos.
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Dracos

Noted.  No PS3 Skyrim.

*looks at TOWER OF DOOM*

Not a problem.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Never get a Bethesda game for a console anyway.

The mods and console commands are all on PC.

~exploding tag~

Brian

erg

feels like someone's trying to dig out my eyeball through my forehead with a spoon

stress-induced migraines suck

wait, no

all migraines suck >_<

Edit: also, spending the entire day on the verge of a gall bladder attack; man, today is totally a 'my body is out for revenge' day ._.

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

So, here is a serious squick which has taken literally months to bubble to the surface of my normally-imperturbable yandere psychology.

So, first I saw "Princess Mononoke". It was mostly about environmentalism. And it was pretty cool.

Then there was "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind". It was all about environmentalism. And it was also pretty cool. It was like Star Wars for treehuggers. I went and read the manga, and that was even cooler.

"Future Boy Conan" was also a pretty cool anime about environmentalism, which took a tedious Western book as its starting point and actually made the story really engaging.

However, all of the above are by Hayao Miyazaki.

So I set out to find some environmentalist anime that isn't by Hayao Miyazaki.

Next I saw "Tokyo Mew Mew". The first five minutes looked like it might be an anime about the creation of some guardian race attuned with the environment and able to protect the earth from being destroyed due to humanity's folly. Except no, it isn't. It's just the standard Sailor Moon formula, with cat ears. And also with creepy flirting alien antagonists. Umm... what was that about humanity screwing up the environment? Forget that, it's all the aliens' fault. Ugh.

(Tokyo Mew Mew is an ultimately harmless anime, but man, the fact that they tried to half-ass this environmental theme into it pisses me off.)

Then I saw "Squid Girl". The first five minutes also looked like this would be a series about environmentalism. Weird-looking woobie girl declares war on humanity, for polluting the ocean. Then we find out that she has an attention span of about ten seconds, which prevents her from ever accomplishing anything. The series just an excuse for cute moe (though to the show's credit it is actually kind of cute and not just shamelessly exploitative, completely unlike -- say -- K-On). In this show the only character who ever bothers to give a damn about the environment is generally also so pathetically wild-eyed, inept and helpless (and just generally a butt monkey for the remaining cast) that the only apparent message I can try to derive from what I'm seeing is that human civilization as it is now, is actually pretty awesome, and its opponents are mostly subhuman, childish retards. I could kind of understand and appreciate (perversely enough) a series which actually deliberately set out to justify that kind of insane human chauvinism, but that's prooooobably not what the creators were aiming for. They were just looking for a framework to insert cute moe waff into, and this ridiculous subtext comes out unintentionally as a result of the specific set of comedy tropes they settled with.

(Actually, I kind of liked Squid Girl, but at the same time, that last aspect kind of makes me utterly loathe myself for liking the other stuff in it. Again, environmentalism has absolutely nothing to do with a cute and harmless series which mostly just recycles tried-and-true Azumanga waff. The only scene where the creators manage to sort-of-maybe-justify having brought up the theme in the first place is the scene where Squid Girl manages to get a crowd of children to suddenly start cheering for the villain of a traveling Kamen Rider show. This is unusually thoughtful and sophisticated compared to the rest of the antics on Squid Girl... that is, before the resident yandere shows up and puts the insubordinate sea creature back into her designated lowly place on the food chain. This is, of course, meant to be funny. Again, UGH.)

Can anyone recommend good-quality, environmentally-themed anime or manga that's actually about environmentalism, and isn't by Miyazaki? I'm getting kind of depressed at this point. To the extent of being tempted to plan out some monumentally horrifying doujin which takes Tokyo Mew Mew and Squid Girl, inverts every premise that makes them so cute and harmless, and deconstructs that general sort of thing to all hell. Because my impression so far is that there's too much Tokyo Mew Mew out there and not enough Nausicaa.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)