News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Realized my dog thinks my bed is a salt lick. >_<
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Apparently, one of my job interviews went over poorly! So poorly that the system politely informs that they won't be considering any further applications from me, ever. Sigh. More fish in the sea, more fish in the sea.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

Uguu. :(

Sorry to hear that, Ko--  Better luck next time!
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on January 05, 2012, 10:00:10 PM
Apparently, one of my job interviews went over poorly! So poorly that the system politely informs that they won't be considering any further applications from me, ever. Sigh. More fish in the sea, more fish in the sea.
Rude.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Thanks you two.

I though the interview went rather well, so I'm inclined to think we were talking past each other. I mean, I qualified for the position so it isn't that.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

I just want to slightly disagree with Yuth: Being informed is better than, "We'll call you," and eternal silence.  Even if it does seem that they were being jerks about it.

(Also, they'll totally forget about you in 4 years.)

Could be that you were (or they thought you were) overqualified for the position and they felt you would bail on them the second something better came along.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

I doubt it. If anything they sounded like they really needed the help. The entire thing doesn't play unless I somehow offended the interviewer or violated some unwritten rule.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Quote from: Anastasia on January 06, 2012, 12:00:25 AM
I doubt it. If anything they sounded like they really needed the help. The entire thing doesn't play unless I somehow offended the interviewer or violated some unwritten rule.

(Remembering an unsuccessful job interview of my own where we warmed up by discussing data encapsulation, at which point the person did not like my explanation, claiming that what I'd described was called 'data abstraction'. I can only assume that this was some SubDepartmentOfFacelessBigCo internal jargon which I was just not savvy to; either that or the interviewer had just memorized Object Oriented Software Construction or some textbook like that and was expecting me to give the definitions exactly as in the book. I don't know... haven't read that kind of literature in a while, you know?

I bet it was OOSC. Not to say it's not a neat book, but from what I remember the guy who wrote it also sounds like the kind of person who'd turn away a job candidate based on some triviality like that.)
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Arakawa

Also feeling bitter about the job offer I had to turn down from the other department of FacelessBigCo which actually seemed like a nice job, until I realized that 30% of the reason I had been hired had to do with straight-up cultural nepotism, and I would spend the next k years becoming completely isolated from broader Canadian society in this bizarre onshoring enclave flourishing within BigCo.

I don't regret turning it down, but I really wish I'd had the sense of etiquette necessary to do so in a way that wouldn't be douchebaggy within either of the sets of cultural assumptions I had to be dealing with.

(Hilariously, this happened after I wrote that demented worldbuilding thing with Canadian future-history and onshoring in the 'Anywhere in this World' thread. Thus, rather than a diseased invention of my imagination, onshoring turns out to be quite real, although in reality it occurs by complete accident, and seeing it in action is mostly disconcerting. Welcome to the 21st century.)
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Carthrat

Abstraction and encapsulation are pretty different, though! Well, if we're talking from a programming perspective.

Some interviews, though. :/
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Anastasia

Things that suck: The night after a heavy, spicy, bean laden chili feast. Uguuuuuu.
<Afina> Forever.

Carthrat

My umbrella broke on the way to work.

Also, I was late.

Also, I now have to pay a fine for skipping a train ticket and getting caught out. Dammit, I just ran on board because if I didn't catch that one, I would've been even later. Crime not paying off for me this year. :(

best morning ever
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Anastasia

Well, you'll probably have a really good day tomorrow to make up for it. Right?
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

Silence, Murphymancer!  We've been over this! >.<

Rat: Sucks on getting the fine and all. :(

For what it's worth, once you're late, you're late ... the magnitude of lateness isn't usually a huuuge issue ... is it?

Don't worry, we'll plot a bank heist instead!  That'll pay off for sure!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Murphymancer. That sounds like a PrC.

Hm. Excuse me.
<Afina> Forever.