News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Sinom Bre

Quote from: Brian on January 19, 2012, 06:54:03 PM
hrg

Sometimes, I really hate my country.

http://www.wolfhirschhorn.org/2012/01/amelia/brick-walls/

At least I'm allowed to complain about it. >_<
Anastasia is right: it's a miserable business. I read another couple of actual news articles about this particular baby and the travails of the parents trying to get this transplant done. If it were a question of how best to use some stranger's donor kidney, the doctors might have some cause to deny the child, especially if the organ has another recipient waiting in the queue for it, but if the parent is willing to donate only for their child specifically and has the money to burn on it, the doctors don't really have an ethical leg to stand on for denying the transplant. The little Peruvian(?) doctor is acting like once the organ is out of the parent, it no longer belongs to the parent but to the medical community to be used at their discretion. Bad, bad, bad way to look at it.

Also, the question of whether mental facility is used as a screening criterion is all over the place, according to one article. About 40% do, 40% don't, and the remainder are somewhere in the middle.

A miserable business, indeed...

Edit: Jon brings up a good point: can you stuff an adult kidney into a toddler?
"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -Bill Vaughan
"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?" -James Thurber
"Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage." -Robert A. Heinlein
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split..." –Conan the Cimmerian, The Tower of the Elephant by Robert E. Howard
"Well, it's like the man says... Never take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny, Rabbit's Feat, 1960

Sinom Bre

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on January 19, 2012, 12:08:09 PM
When I came back from my first tour in Iraq, we returned on a Delta charter flight (military only). I got onto this flight wearing full combat equipment (body armor, kevlar helmet, magazine pouches, ect.), a SAW (machine gun), a drum of security ammo (200 rounds), a 6 inch combat/fighting knife, and a couple of people had M203 (grenade launcher) rounds and hand grenades.

Before I got onto the plane with all of the above, they confiscated my multi-tool because it was an 'unauthorized weapon.'

To this day, my response is simply: "....whut?"
They'll let you onboard with enough ordinance to blow the plane up, but God forbid you have the capacity to take it apart with your multitool. :D
"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -Bill Vaughan
"Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage." -Robert A. Heinlein
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split..." –Conan the Cimmerian, The Tower of the Elephant by Robert E. Howard
"Well, it's like the man says... Never take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny, Rabbit's Feat, 1960

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Sinom Bre on January 20, 2012, 11:52:32 PM
They'll let you onboard with enough ordinance to blow the plane up, but God forbid you have the capacity to take it apart with your multitool. :D

Yep. Pretty much. I could have disabled the smoking alarm in the lavatory, god forbid.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Dracos

Today I am wearing All of the Hats.

It sucks.  I want like seven people to try and tackle these.
Well, Goodbye.

Sinom Bre

Quote from: Dracos on January 24, 2012, 03:27:14 PM

Just go all Kirby on them and delegate. ;p

Yuthirin

This is the third time this morning I have heard this Ke$ha song on the radio. I hate it. I want to turn it off. I lack that option.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

VySaika

Quote from: Sinom Bre on January 24, 2012, 05:02:04 PM
Quote from: Dracos on January 24, 2012, 03:27:14 PM

Just go all Kirby on them and delegate. ;p

Well, Kirby doesn't really delegate. He eats people, steals thier jobs, and does all the work himself. Which seems to be what Drac is already doing here.

Minus the eating people part.

Hopefully.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Sinom Bre

I haven't won the Power Ball lotto. That really sucks.

Brian

Quote from: Sinom Bre on January 25, 2012, 05:59:40 PMI haven't won the Power Ball lotto. That really sucks.

We've been over this, DFR.

You gotta buy tickets.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Sinom Bre

Quote from: Brian on January 25, 2012, 07:17:22 PM
Quote from: Sinom Bre on January 25, 2012, 05:59:40 PMI haven't won the Power Ball lotto. That really sucks.

We've been over this, DFR.

You gotta buy tickets.
Damn! I was hoping to skip that step in the process... I am of the opinion that the money you win is the money you don't spend on lotto tickets. :)

Anastasia

I want to get things done tonight, but damned if I can focus. I open up a tab to be productive, stare at it for a few minutes and then end up on another unrelated tab. An hour later I've pissed all that time away. It's the sort of night that's dominated by wiki, tvtropes and youtube. Urgh.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

On the other hand, my outlining has been very productive lately.

Too productive.

What the hell do you do when the plot summary for one of your fics is ballooning over 5,000 words and mentions (counts on fingers) whew merely fifteen characters to worry about getting right, and the outline for another one of your fics seems likely to reach 10,000 words and presently covers hundreds of years of backstory?

(My primary fear is that these ideas are going to be just too complicated to solicit meaningful feedback on.)

On the plus side, the process is making me feel inspired. Inspired and severely daunted by the scale of what I'm trying to undertake.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

When inspiration hits, run with it. You can always come back down to earth afterwards. Let the idea bloom and trim it down later.
<Afina> Forever.