News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

There's not enough bitching

Started by Dracos, October 23, 2004, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Music-chan

I have nothing to complain about, gosh darnit!

Wait.....

Um....drivers in Toronto suck?
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Grahf

Every time I try and drop in the chat no one seems to be there.

I have terrible timing. Perhaps even terribad timing.

Brian

Well, I'm not sure, but....

[19:45] * Grahf (186da48b@....) has joined #soulriders
[19:46] * Grahf (186da48b@....) Quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)

[22:29] * Grahf (186da48b@....) has joined #soulriders
[22:30] * Grahf (186da48b@....) Quit (Quit: Grahf)

...I think, you might try sticking around a bit longer.  Chat can take a few minutes to spin up. ;)
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Music-chan

Yeah, we are not always a talkative bunch so sometimes if you say something, then wait around for 10 minutes or so, someone will say something back.  When we get going though, we can be quite chatty.
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

CyMage

Also the times Brian posted are PST I believe.  For Music and I that's 3 hours later in the day.
He's history...play with fire and you get burned."-Magus

And then the mage drew his two handed sword.  "Shit! We're screwed!"

Grahf

Well, now I feel like an idiot.

I wasn't sure if mibbit was actually connecting or not, so when everyone kept showing up as idle I thought it might have been the program.

... I'm not good with IRC.

Dracos

It happens.  I'll have to take a look.  We can get quiet certainly, but it's not cuz we're ignorin' ya.  I'll follow up with you this weekend.
Well, Goodbye.

Grahf

Nah, I can almost guarantee that Brian is right and I just wasn't sticking around long enough to be noticed. The other part is that I'm only generally around on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The other days of the week I work the majority of the evening, so I'd be on at odd hours. I'm not generally sure if people would be around after midnight CST, but that would be when I'd be around some days.

Brian

Nonsense at work.  I've destroyed a system and one of the developers for the product I used to do it is insisting that I used it wrong; it's not a bug.

Blearg.  My credibility!  Well, at least it can't get worse, right?

<co-worker> guess what, brandall?!?!
<co-worker> we have to requalify all disks for 6.2.0.

$#%&.  That's six months of working 7 days a week to do over.  To say nothing of the logistics of getting all those disks to re-test!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Apple's iPhone store policy on free apps sucks.

Really, I don't buy shit from them, but if I did, I wouldn't mind their obnoxious Abere!@3451 password system of being a pain in the ass to type in.  It's handling money and there's importance to having safety measures in place for either side.

But I'm not buying stuff.  I'm downloading a free product where no monetary transaction is taking place.  So why do I have to enter my password every time?  It's a god-damn pain.  And since I do it so infrequently, I often don't remember, so have to go through a reset song and dance number just to do something as trivial as download a stopwatch.  Or don't, because the problem I am trying to solve isn't worth the bother and I just pick up a different device to solve it with that doesn't have me enter extra passwords every time I download something.

Oh, you want to update a product you already have?  Passwords!  Really guys?  I have to enter my password for each one?  Edit: Apparently not.  After the sixth security prompt it considered me logged in enough to just hit update all and have it work.

Also suddenly this time its adding another song and dance of security questions?  Through the iphone interface?   Aren't these already entered from when I created the account years ago?

Do Android users have to put up with this?  Just curious because as cheap as I am, I'm definitely looking at non-iphone at the moment for when I eventually let this thing die.  I really dislike arbitrary data entry through a phone's touch-screen.  It's awkward and I should be having to do it dozens of times to do a simple thing like 'get software updates you're identifying exist for apps I've already gotten'.

Some days, I think it would be less stressful if I just chucked the phone in the trash and went and bought something else.  Seriously, I'm on twenty minutes to download a stopwatch because I figured it would just be more reasonable then requisitioning one from facilities and it's requiring a bunch of arbitrary questions that don't apply well to me, so I won't remember the answers.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Quote from: Dracos on May 02, 2012, 03:53:04 PMDo Android users have to put up with this?  Just curious because as cheap as I am, I'm definitely looking at non-iphone at the moment for when I eventually let this thing die.  I really dislike arbitrary data entry through a phone's touch-screen.  It's awkward and I should be having to do it dozens of times to do a simple thing like 'get software updates you're identifying exist for apps I've already gotten'.

No.  Log into the phone and Android assumes you know who you are and what you're doing.  Hell, I have it set to just update things for me; I only have to manually hit 'update' when it says, "Hey, this program is going to interact with your GPS/camera/flux capacitor/data connection in a different way.  You cool with that?"

But I run into the same exact problem on my iPad.  I'm almost positive it's because while Apple is willing to trust your security on their devices, you can have iTunes itself running on a system that they don't trust the security of (your PC).  It's the same store, so there's no way around it.  I wouldn't mind so much, but there's no reason to do this for things that are entirely free in the first place (I could tolerate this with less grousing if they only checked my password for updates to software that had a fee attached, but that's not how it works).  Still, they do it for everything.

Very annoying.

~exploding tag~

alethiophile

* alethiophile stopped using his iOS gizmo as more than a music player sometime last year; it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Dracos

http://xkcd.com/936/

I am also reminded.  Screw modern password design.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

To be fair, I got the order of words wrong in the example (staple horse battery correct).  But I did remember them all.

I do generally agree, but modern systems require you to use at least one numeral and one punctuation anyway, and then label your security 'strong'.

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Actually, modern ones have gotten worse.  They fail passwords that lack those things.  So instead of me giving a long set of common words using simple characters, I need uppercase and numbers in it too.  Which in turn means I am almost guarenteed to not remember the unique password it is getting a month down the line.
Well, Goodbye.