News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Great Rpg bosses

Started by Dracos, July 14, 2002, 08:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Well, this is mainly for Console rpgs (hidden bosses in particular) but it can also apply to any rpg.  Basically if you have a nifty boss anecedote that you had lots of fun participating in, share it ^_^

To start...I will consider the Black Bunny Rabite of Doom(tm).  You might have  seen him from time to time in Yosho arc in COR rpg but he doesn't originate from there..
He originally was a hidden bad guy in the superb game Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Denetsu 3) that only was legally released in Japan.  The black bunny rabite is only encountered deep in the dark volcano of destruction...a land where mortal men dare not enter...where the average enemy is a large and feriocious dragon.  And here it was in a tiny little passage that I encountered the bunny.  Stepping through a hidden door I found myself in a small room with wonder of wonders a tiny little rabite.
1st thought: Awww..ain't dat just da cutest thing?
2nd thought:  This is a level with uberly powerful demons and dragons capable of smiting you in a handful of attacks...what the hell is a little bunny rabite doing here?

now if you are incredibly fast you might get off both those thoughts before the bunny wakes up.   It takes little under a second for it to blink it's cute bunny eyes and roll off the floor to an awake position, staring straight at you (the player) with it's big bunny eyes.  Immediately boss music begins to play.

1st thought: WTF?
2nd thought: EEEEEEEEEEEP!

The black bunny lashes out with a  huge wave of dark energy...a globe of power that blasts your party to the side.  If you are a wimp this can verily be the end of the fight right then and there.  If you aren't your party is flung apart on the room.  Ya get up and you charge the supposedly helpless bunny as he (if you are lucky) hops away...your cleric healing you the best he/she is able to.  Slash slash suplex uber meteor spell....then it hits you...  usually a spinning attack that drains your life like it's going out of style and sends you flying back.  This continues for a good while with the occassional black wave of destruction, glowing red flame cross of death, etc tossed in to make it  interesting.

Eventually you begin to feel almost comfortable...  then he flicks his ears.

Twin Level 99 Red Arch Demons appear beside him.  Each a fearsome challenge representing upwards of a thousand hp and deadly moves alone.  Additionally they bear a deadly breath weapon that just eats your hp.  Also around this time the rabite decides to show he's part dragon.  He'll usually leap to the center of the room and breath noxious gas that hits the whole room.  Needless to say this devestates your party and deals status ailments that can mean instant death in this situation.

If you survived all of this it becomes a grudge match against the bunny...  a war of attrition with no quarter given by any side...  your items will disappear as you use every trick in the book.  The rabite will continue usually to pull out more nifty moves and spells as the battle continues...an endles supply of Demons coming to his beck and call.  Truly a test of cleverness, skill, and preparation to take the beast down.  Even completely maxed out your odds are around 1 in 3 of beating the beast.  It's that powerful ^_^;;.

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.

Carthrat

o_O That's chunky. Never faced the Black Rabite myself..

Terranigma never had a hidden boss, I'm sorry to say, but I do recall a few corkers in there.. the first time I played, they were really hard.

Take, for instance, Bloody Mary. There is a happy little trick you can use to beat her - you keep running circles around her using the Running+Attack combo. However..

Mess up once, and touch her, or one of her attacks with Ark's poor little body, and chances are it's game over.  You have, around that point in the game, maybe 150hp, can with each of her attacks doing something like 125 damage, your in trouble. Not to mention that I found Bloody Mary to be a truly frightning piece of work. Though, I was about 12 at the time. Didn't get the plot at all until I played the game again at 14 >_<
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Anastasia

Heh.....That Black Rabite is rather nasty.  I haven't gotten around to fighting him yet, but I've heard the stories.  Let's see now...

Oh, and mind you that I enjoy a challenge, so I don't mind a extra boss being strong unless it's overly cheap(OZMA)

Tales of Eternia- Nereid/Regulus

Normally, a boss that can just cast magic for tons of damage or use powerful techs for massive beat downs is bad enough.  Imagine one that can do both at the same time and is almost impossible to disrupt.  This might be one of the few times that TOE's combat system works against you, he combos you whilst charging spells -_-.  Even if you beat him the first time, you can still challenge him on Hard or Hardcore....*shudders*

Despite the challenge involved, Regulus wasn't that bad.  It was more about knowing what items and moves to use than anything else.  All Divide can save your ass in this battle.

Star Ocean 2- Unlimited Indalecio

Who said last bosses are pushovers?  Indalecio laughs at that stereotype while killing you in 4 seconds flat.  Granted, you have to do a special event after saving at the final save point to unlock him, but still.  Anyway, he's pure hell.  Not only is he faster than a Bunny/Valiant Booted Dias or Claude, he has a massive damage KM that hits 10 times and causes petrification(Divine Wave) and spells that ignore elemental defense and do 9999 damage regardless. (Earthquake).  Oh, and he's the only enemy that can move and charge spells at the same time.  Bastard.  Top that off with 1,500,000 HP(More on Galaxy or Universe) and you have a instant ass whipping in a bottle.  Hell, the Cave of Trials exists just to give you the exp and items to stand a small chance against him.

It took me a 'mere' week to of trying to beat UI on Earth difficulty.  In my infinite wisdom, I figured that he couldn't be much harder on Universe, so I skipped over Galaxy and went for the gold.  Big, big ass mistake.  I got to him at max level with tons of good stuff from the COT and Iseria Queen and guess what happened?  One Divine Wave wiped out Claude, Dias and Ashton in 4 seconds.  To her credit, Rena lasted a whopping 10 more seconds until a Earthquake did her in.  Whoo, I lasted a quater of a minute.  It took me a month of trying and tweaking to finally win.  Even then, the battle lasted a hour(!) and I was damn lucky that he didn't get off Divine Wave much.

Final Fantasy 9- Ozma- He makes it as the designated cheapass bitch of the group.  Say it with me: "Countering damage with a 9000 HP Curaga and a Curse spell is cheap"  I love fighting extra bosses, but he broke even my patience with his unbelievable bullshit cheapness.  He's not even THAT hard, it's just a matter of luck on his counters and the spells he chooses.  If the AI feels nasty, it can wipe you out in 2 or 3 moves.  Ozma is the portrait of what a extra boss should NOT be.

I don't even want to go into my many battles agains this biatch.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

heh...I remember cursing when I realized out of pique I had skipped the event to unlock Unlimited Indelecio.  Won't be missing him this time around, no siree.   Hope to have fun with that ubertwinked boss I do.  I LIVE for uber challenging bosses.  Universe Indelecio...you best kick my arse ^_~

Hum, I think I consistantly got bored with ToE prior to going to fight Regulus.  I think it might be an unconscious bit with the fact Dhaos is in that game.  And dhaos is so fucking cool, fast, strong, utterly vicious  that the idea of something topping that fight in that system seems wrong.   I loved battling him with his "I leap back and vaporize your entire party with energy waves.....and look cool while doing it."

I disagree with you about ozma though.....it all is in the wrist...or in this case the armor you equip.  Equiping the strongest armor you got is about as worthwhile a venture for him as tossing your control at him.  I forget whether Steiner had achieved Golden fucking battle god status yet (After hades you pretty much have the most obscene equipment for him) but it was generally vivi that carried the day against him for me.  The other's were there too for my amusement.  Trick to beating him: A)Have on dark aligned armor....half his stuff and his best spell heals you.  Laugh as he deals 9999 to himself and completely heals your entire party.
B)Pick autoregen as one of your abilities....  and then when you reallly need it cast the last summon in the game.  Bloody thing takes long enough for me to walk across my  old house, toast bread and make a peanut butter sandwich (Am not  kidding, did this during the battle) walk back, and see the ending blast of it.  And because it remains in some pseudo active time you'll find you recovered about 3-5000 hp each character during the summon.
C) Do the bloody chocobo quest so steiner can hit him.  It really isn't necessary but the extra 9999 every bloody hit does help quicken him.

Addendum: Please nobody bring up Omega/Ultimate weapons Mk  2 or above.   Or anything cloned after them.  They were really pathetic and cheap instead of challenging.  I love a good fight as much as the next man but the second they start expecting you to use invulnerability items to win the fight I toss down my controller and pick a game that isn't stupid shit.

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Universe Indelecio...you best kick my arse ^_~

I doubt you'll be dissapointed.  By the way, kill Iseria Queen and stock up on Angel Armbands before you even consider fighting him.  Of course, IQ is a whole other can of worms on Universe.  Bosses with 6 million HP are like that.

Hum, I think I consistantly got bored with ToE prior to going to fight Regulus.  I think it might be an unconscious bit with the fact Dhaos is in that game.  And dhaos is so fucking cool, fast, strong, utterly vicious  that the idea of something topping that fight in that system seems wrong.  I loved battling him with his "I leap back and vaporize your entire party with energy waves.....and look cool while doing it."

Can't blame you for that........Hell, Regulus is harder, but Dhaos is just that damn awesome.  At least Dhaos has his weakness to Indignation....

As far as Ozma goes, I did everything I could to help beat him.  What it came down to was that damn counter-curaga shit and some terribly bad luck with Curse damage.  Yeah, I've had people tell me he's not THAT bad, but somehow I find it hard to believe.

Another one while I'm thinking about it.

Star Ocean 2- Iseria Queen.

After slaying Gabriel Celestia at the end of the Cave of Trials, you thought all you had left was Unlimited Indalecio, right?  Not quite.  If you want more than one Angel Armband or Demon Sword Levantine, you'll have to fight her evil, PMSing sister, Iseria Queen.  Basically, change Gab's Star Flare to Meteor Swarm and add petrify to all her attacks, and you get IQ.  That, and quintupled HP.  She has in the ballpark of 3 million on Earth, and 6 million on Universe.  Despite all this, she's still marginally easier than Indalecio, just because she's not as fast and easier to trap.

<Afina> Forever.

RangerShade

Omega Weapon from FF V.

Hard as hell to beat even when you know what you're doing.

Damn cheap instant kill attack, super speed, and he reflects magic.

"Wonderful, we're probably all going to die now."

Dracos

It sadened me when you posted Omega Weapon the original from FFV.  Only because you posted  him first ^_^;

Omega Weapon was truly a  grand enemy, one of my favorite ever.  I'm not even sure I ever beat the mechanized creature of destruction.  One may ask why I favor this boss so much when I've been rather open in my absolute disgust for the later weapon models.  What makes his method of destruction so utterly nifty?

It really comes down to a simple AI  bit...

He starts out slowly...and  makes you think you can win.

When Shade mentions his instant death technique (Black Hole I believe), it's actually more than that.   Most instant death techniques leave a body for you to cast life on...  this guy vaporizes a character or two midway through the fight.   Usually when you've gotten into a pattern and are beginning to think you can win... BAM there goes your main summoner..or healer....   Yeah...  it's fun.

Omega weapon's primary attacks are lasers.  Ranging from 1000 to a single person to 5000 to everyone.  I honestly believe the AI on him was programmed beautifully as I've had great fun every time I fought him.   If there's a pattern, it's simply that he's more evil than the party that  fights him.

Either way...  If ye have an FF 5 cartridge or Rom, this is not a boss to miss.

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.

RangerShade

Heh.

The flamethrower and heat beams can be countered with flame rings.

Omega also has that annoying missile attack that not only damaged you, but it confused the guy it hit too.

Floating saves you from his earthquake attack,  but that was actually a rare one (only happened to me once out of 50 times)

The death technique was called Blaster, no way to dodge, no block, no save, just pray it didn't hit the wrong guy. ^^

The erase technique was Black hole, wipes out a character from memory (and the fight).

Oh yeah, speaking of FFV...was anyone ever crazy enough to try and fight the Gil turtle in the Gil cave?

That monster was supposedly one of the toughest in the game, but I was never crazy enough to try and find it.

Dracos

Never heard of it..  darn, maybe I need to replay through the copy I purchased after beating it on emulator ^_^

fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Gilgame-Use Ice 3 Magic Sword and S shot with non elemental weapons. 2 sword helps as well, but you'll probably want the raw evade of a good shield.  He has around 60000 HP, so bring a mastered priest.  Also, he has a death attack, Earthquake, that does 5000 damage or so, so cast Float before the battle starts.

If you want all the gold in his cave you have to kill him 3 or 4 times.  Not fun, but a good challenge.  In all fairness, most players don't build up enough to kill him.  I just happen to be a crazy gamer. :)

Omega Weapon- Bolt 3 Magic Sword+non elemental weapons(Brave Blade is awesome for this, if it's powered up fully)+2 sword+S-shot.  You need enough HP to survive a round or two of attacks before your lighting swords shred him, so bring lots of HP.  This is a good battle to go bare in.  Haste 2, Return(If the battle goes sour and you don't want to reset *Shrugs*) Cure 3 and Golem help as well.  I never bothered with Fire Rings, I just overpowered him.

Anyone gonna mention Shinryu while FF5 is up?......Although, he's not that bad with Coral Rings.

And yes, it is evident by this point in the thread that I've spent way too much of my life playing video games.
<Afina> Forever.

RangerShade

You managed to survive without fire rings?!

Two or three rounds against Omega translates to about 6-8 attacks, and the flame attacks not only do 1000-3000 damage each but they also drain life for a couple minutes after the attack. Then there's the confuse missiles that not only take out a character from your order, but turn them against you too.

Shinryuu is the easiest mega-creature to beat. You just need Ninja's two-hands, Dragoon's jump, 4 water rings, and 8 anti-dragon spears stolen from the crystal dragons in the last part of the game. Let the water rings absorb his opening Tsunami attack, have everyone jump and do 9,999 x2 spears and it's over.

Anastasia

Dracos, did you ever make it to Unlimited Indalecio?
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

not yet, it will probably wait till college as  my tv was forfeited in the interest of family peace. -_-

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Gabriel Celeste, Valkyrie Profile.

I dunno, there is something special about beating down a crossdressing angel.  It's a strange boss fight to begin with when you think about it, and Gab's voice only makes it...messer.

Oh, and Drac, ever pick SO2 back up?  I long to hear more tales of Unlimited Indalecio ass whippings. :)
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Not yet...  *Shakes head*  Between school work and massive *something on the order of hundreds of gamed hours a week (culmative among the games)* Chat RP'ing I've been doing....  haven't gotten through my current gaming stash (KH and Suikoden 3)

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.