News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_Miao

https://activetranslations.xyz/never-die-extra/

Korean.  Protagonist is inserted into an RPG as a character fated to die.

Author does not excessively spam stat sheets in a transparent attempt to fill word count.

Jason_Miao

Ended up getting pretty bored of the earlier story, since its ostensibly a dungeon crawling story but they hardly do any of that.

https://activetranslations.xyz/ has several other ongoing translations.  This is my brief reviews of them:

Regressor Instruction Manual
   Protagonist is summoned to a game-like world, and is weak so has to rely on his wits and personality politics to survive.  He also encounters a regressor, even though he himself is not one, and sets himself up as the right hand man.

I kind of lost interest in the protagonist, so stopped reading it.

I Came Back And Conquered It All
   Reincarnation from the future, with overpowered talent.  Dungeon crawling.

I Became the First Prince
  Sentient sword swaps consciousness with a scummy crown prince, finds that the kingdom he helped build with the prince's ancestors has degraded, and tries to save it.  Has some superfluous game elements early on, but writer seems to drop them later (and frankly, I don't think they were necessary at all).  I'm still interested in this one.

Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World
  Premise is amusing.  Transmigrator is summoned to a tutorial world, along with a bunch of other people.  Everyone gets an RPG-like interface...but his is bugged.  Everyone is supposed to graduate at level 5, but his is bugged, so every time he hits level 5, his level is reset to 1.  His stats are not.

Setup aside, the bulk of the story is still the adventures of an overpowered protagonist that stomps over everything in his path.

Carnivorous Hunter
   Post-apocalyptic world of Superpowers/mutants.  Protagonist eats powers.  Not far enough along for me to have a concrete opinion.

I Login Alone
   Strictly speaking, the title is misleading because the world has lots of people who only dungeon crawl in a castle in the sky, whereas the overpowered protagonist can only access caves in the ground.  It's light hearted, which can be shown in this absolute gem of dialogue:

"There are only two goods that can be obtained from a monster.  The first is money, and the second is a crystal with a special mana structure that the monster has known as a monster bead."

"What's the currency?  It probably won't be Korean won."

"Yes, unfortunately, it's not Korean won.  It's US dollars."

After Returning, My Abilities are Infinite
   Super analyst with low combat talent goes back in time after being killed and decides to fight instead.

2000 Years of Magic History in My Head
  Protagonist in a martial world has little talent for it, but the talent for being a great wizard.  Another person in a magic world has little talent for it, but the talent for being a great warrior.  Magic world guy gets the protagonist to take over his body from time to time, and they swap knowledge, so that they can help their respective worlds fight off monsters.

The Editor Is the Novel's Extra
  Haven't looked at this one yet.

Anastasia

https://archiveofourown.org/works/19312162/chapters/45935500

Harry Potter fanfic, comedy. The horcrux in Harry Potter's head awakens after an accident and comedy ensues. Pretty amusing for what it is, but maybe that's because I read it late at night.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

thepanda

Just finished "Oh Great! I was Reincarnated as a Farmer". Its Litrpg and the beginning is a little rough, but I did enjoy it.

Guy is killed due to a botched resurrection spell and now has to live in a world with game-like mechanics. Unfortunately for him, he's stuck as a farmer until he reaches a high enough level to dual class. Even more unfortunate, the system is set up to keep farmers farmers.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

I'm surprise that I hadn't posted this one before.  I thought I had...

https://kobatochan.com/korean-novels/fff-class-trashero/
https://a-t.nu/novel/fff-class-trashero/

Shameless and unreliable narrator meets Isekai-RPG.  Korean novel.  Absurdist.  Groundhogs Day.

I'm a fan of this one.

Merc

Quote from: Jason_Miao on August 05, 2021, 04:40:37 PM
FFF-Class Trash Hero. Shameless and unreliable narrator meets Isekai-RPG.  Korean novel.  Absurdist.  Groundhogs Day. I'm a fan of this one.

I've read the manga version of this. The MC is a scumbag and very deserving of his FFF-class moniker, and you really want to hate him. At the same time, you can't help but sorta relate with his feelings of why the situation he found himself in was bullshit as you learn of it, and enjoy his extremely petty workarounds for doing what needs to be done without actually doing it the way he's intended to do it.

And of course he then gets punished for it, and he doubles down on being petty and still succeeding because he's learned how to cheat the system. Start is a bit dull because it focuses more on his scumbag tendencies, but gets better as one sees his creative pettiness. Still a scumbag though.

On a separate note, I've been working my way through Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint, a completed 551 chapter novel about a guy who spent much of his life reading a very long webnovel called "Three Ways to Survive in A Ruined World", and being the sole reader to read it in its entirety. As the novel ends, he finds the complete story downloaded into his phone...just as the events of the novel begin to occur in his reality. Knowing what he knows, he seeks for a fourth way to survive using his knowledge to craft a scenario beyond what he knows of the novel's scope. I'm about 60% of the way through the novel right now, on chapter 348, it's fun with all the references of mythological beings and historical figures, and all the multiple plotting by different characters who have different goals plus all the silly time travel shenanigans. It's kind of a self-insert/time travel/peggy sue/reincarnator thing, without specifically being any of those and simultaneously being all of the above, and it's neat that way.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Ebiris

Been a while since I've read anything Familiar of Zero related but I've been on a Resident Evil kick so this caught my eye.

Familiar Evil

Louise reverse summons herself to Raccoon City a few weeks before the events of Resident Evil 2/3. Saito's there and the two of them have some really nice chemistry as she adapts to the modern world before everything goes to hell and the two of them have to survive, while those on the Halkegenia side try to figure out where she went and how to retrieve her. Really captures the horror and feel of the earlier Resident Evil games, give it a look if that kind of thing interests you.

Jason_Miao

I hadn't realized that Journey had updated last year.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

Briefly tried reading a Japanese translated webnovel, The Middle-aged Man who just Returned from Another World Melts his Fathercon Daughters with his Paternal Skill

Quote from: chapter 1
"My background was rather slightly unique. Because at the age of fifteen, I was summoned to an another world. It was the so-called medieval European fantasy-esque, the world of sword and magic. In addition, it was a strange sadiste-time with a game-like system.

I spent the past 7 years on that land. Teens to twenties, I dedicated myself for adventuring, and before I noticed it, I was already 32 years old."

Welp.  So much for that.

Anastasia

Huh. Bad translation or weird plot?
<Afina> Forever.

thepanda

Looks like a typo. The page you linked says 17 years.

Arakawa

Tried to get into Mauling Snarks but the whole 'S9 is
Spoiler: ShowHide
a therapy group for capes with particularly anti-social powers
' requires a mental adjustment period.

So I've put it off to read after https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/how-hookwolf-and-vista-saved-christmas.52052/ because unlike Snarks this setup seems totally sane and normal.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Ebiris

Damn this thread has not seen use in a long time.

The world won't wait till you're older is a fun look into Captain Marvel (or Shazam rather) joining the Justice League and them later discovering that he's actually 14.