What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Heir to the Empire was fine until the end, when he just shot the moon and engaged in a lot of silly bullshit fanon. He felt some need to demolish Crystal Tokyo - he's really horrible about bad Sailor Moon fanfiction cliches - and generally trample the SM canon. It was funny to a point, but Ranma/Serenity taking over the world and bringing in giant battleships? That just went past interesting and into dumb.

---

I think the next chapter of Hell is a Martial Artist is going to be the deciding one for later fic quality. Shit is finally going to hit the fan, can Ozzallos pull it off? This is the payoff everyone's been waiting for; all of the changes and choices Ranma has made are about to cause the failed wedding to go much differently.

I think he can pull it off. I hope, since it's one of my favorite fics.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Beautiful Destroyer Sailor Moon updated. I was cold on this fic after it pushed things too far, but I read the latest chapter on a whim. Holy fucking hell is it amazing. Wow.
<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Anastasia on August 25, 2011, 01:18:35 AM
It was funny to a point, but Ranma/Serenity taking over the world and bringing in giant battleships? That just went past interesting and into dumb.

I honestly don't have a problem with that per se.  It's how and when a writer brings in a plot device that makes or breaks a story for me.  Dealing with two-bit villains using the contents of a dead civilization's armory and ancient battleships?  Lame.  Using the scavenged contents of an dead civiliation's armory and ancient battleships to (e.g) barely turn the tide in holding off overwhelming and unstoppable eldrich horrors?  Could be cool.  My problem with Heir is that it's mostly the former, and merely lip service to the latter.  One has potential (Mr. Anderson) for dramatic tension.  The other does not.

Re: HiMA, let's hope for something interesting. :)

Dracos

Quote from: Anastasia on August 25, 2011, 01:18:35 AM
Heir to the Empire was fine until the end, when he just shot the moon and engaged in a lot of silly bullshit fanon. He felt some need to demolish Crystal Tokyo - he's really horrible about bad Sailor Moon fanfiction cliches - and generally trample the SM canon. It was funny to a point, but Ranma/Serenity taking over the world and bringing in giant battleships? That just went past interesting and into dumb.

---

I think the next chapter of Hell is a Martial Artist is going to be the deciding one for later fic quality. Shit is finally going to hit the fan, can Ozzallos pull it off? This is the payoff everyone's been waiting for; all of the changes and choices Ranma has made are about to cause the failed wedding to go much differently.

I think he can pull it off. I hope, since it's one of my favorite fics.

Heh, I hope so too.

I would say its a turning point but for a wholly different reason.  He's marching out of Ranma territory after that.  There's no canon to play around with anymore there, so it'll also be where the original idea goes.

Also, man, far too many Kyuubey.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

"Wahhh! My punishment doesn't work any more! That delinquent Saotome...! Wahhhh!" Hinako cried, clinging Principal Kuno's leg.

I don't know about the rest of the fic, but any story that has this line is okay with me.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

thepanda

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: thepanda on August 27, 2011, 07:57:42 PM
Link?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/233706/1/Rain

This fic runs a bit rough over the A!MG canon, but nothing untenable. If you dislike this fic I suspect it will be for other reasons. For what it's worth, I think it's okay but not great. Sorta feels late 90s-ish with the crossover elements.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6362397/13/Beautiful_Destroyer_Sailor_Moon

Beautiful Destroyer Sailor Moon updated again. Shit continues to get crazy.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

I'll have to read that later.  I glanced briefly this morning and skimmed and it looked like it genre bounced the main characters.  "Btw, Now you are morally ambiguous for property destruction and there's swat goons".   Hope I mis-saw as that really drives me up a wall.  I'm fine with "Mass damage is not acceptable' from the get-go, but not swapping it up after  they do epic city save.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on August 29, 2011, 10:03:25 PM
I'll have to read that later.  I glanced briefly this morning and skimmed and it looked like it genre bounced the main characters.  "Btw, Now you are morally ambiguous for property destruction and there's swat goons".   Hope I mis-saw as that really drives me up a wall.  I'm fine with "Mass damage is not acceptable' from the get-go, but not swapping it up after  they do epic city save.

I'm okay with this. From the beginning the battles have been overwhelmingly destructive and the last big battle was so insane that things can't be reasonably tolerated. I see it as a natural result of what's happened.
<Afina> Forever.