News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6942921/8/He_Who_Fights_Monsters

That...was kinda an epic chapter.  Lots of stuff in it I don't like personally, but it's pretty awesomely delivered.
Serious spoilers below for discussing:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Moka tries to ask Tsukune out on a date?  Accidents happen and instead vampire Moka is saying how tasty he smells?  Panicked vampire versus Tsukune rush and Moka gets murdered?

Worst that can happen is that he'll reject you?  Wow, super Bad End for Moka. 

He also hooks back up with Keilo.  What a stunner chapter.  A very standout job at the descent into disaster.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

I actually saw the missing hokage challenge today.  The actual thing instead of the one liner that many fics reference.

It was epic fanon of badness.  it's really something else.  Sure, many fic challenges specify a few things, but this is like a 25 long list of 'must do' elements that get more and more out there and specific as it goes.  It's practically a fic skeleton rather than a challenge.  It'd be like the Choose One scenario including "Must include reapers, also Golden boy flying a ship, and all the fiancees lost in space, and also Tenchi must be emperor of jurai and Ryu must be Jupiter's Senpai, also Mary Sues."
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Man, you aren't kidding. Fourteen bullet points plus the original premise. Hm. Looking at the descriptions of his other fics, this is a guy who likes to super powerup the characters he favors?

Edit: Oh! It's Skysaber. Didn't realize he'd changed names. Really, that explains so much.

Dracos

Of course.  I'd been avoiding looking cuz hey, bullying is bad.  But haha.  It really is a legendarily bad challenge.
Well, Goodbye.

Edward

Quote from: thepanda on November 08, 2011, 09:02:47 PMEdit: Oh! It's Skysaber. Didn't realize he'd changed names. Really, that explains so much.

And such a humble new nick, too. :)

Then again, after the ranting and plagiarism, he'd rather destroyed his previous nick's credibility.
If you see Vampire Hikaru Shidou, it is Fox.  No one else does that.  You need no other evidence." - Dracos

"Huh? Which rant?" - Gary

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Servitor of the Outer Gods with your ineffective Thompson Submachine Gun." - grimjack

Kt3

Still reading and enjoying Dauntless, a Code Geass fanfiction by Allora Gale.  Premise is that Lelouch gets recognized by Clovis at the beginning of everything and gets recognized and reinstated as a Prince before the events of Code Geass happen proper.  Involves quite a bit of politics, overanalyzation by Lelouch, interesting OCs, and it's still updating.

My only main gripe is how short the chapters are.  There's a lot written, it's just spaced a bit short, but not short enough that I absolutely can't stand it.  Other than that, I've been very entertained by it and have been waiting warmly for the updates.

My apologies if it's been posted before, been looking through the thread and didn't see it.
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Anastasia

http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/251208.html

Dungeon Keeper Ami update. It's the best chapter in awhile, plus it looks like the author may be getting back to once a week updates. Yay.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

DY

My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Dracos

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3933832/17/Harry_Potter_and_the_Invincible_TechnoMage

This in some ways is a very amusing story.  Harry raised in Marvel-verse by Tony Stark.

In other ways it's obnoxious and terrible.  Dumbledore is played as classic incompetent manipulator with blinders on.  Everyone else villianous besides the main baddies has a change of heart.  Voldemort doesn't really get a chance and Harry is sort of a super-being with superallies.

At it's best its playing with someone who has a different school of magic and a scientific bent being brought into the school and not being left entirely to his own devices.  A more high tier/less philosophical/cereberal angle than Methods of Rationality.  At its worst, its is bashfic.

Still, read it, so I'll link.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: DY on November 12, 2011, 01:26:22 PM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6325846/11/Harry_Potter_and_the_Heartlands_of_Time

New chapter for the Heartlands of Time, for those who are following the story.

Never heard of this.  See it has a 300k prequel.  Can you give a couple line "What's awesome here?"
Well, Goodbye.

Ebiris

I haven't really read the Heartlands of Time, but the Wastelands of Time (aforementioned prequel) was awesome. You know how Peggy Sue fics are popular in Harry Potter? Go back to the start with greater knowledge and make things better? Well Harry's been doing that hundreds of times, gaining more and more incredible power and knowledge from ancient sources every time.

Voldemort still kills him horribly every time because he's that much better at this stuff.

There's next to no Hogwarts shenanigans, it's much more adventure/mystery focused over the wider world with Harry, Voldemort, and a set of mysterious new players acting on a tier barely reachable by all but the most aged and powerful wizards in the setting. The fights and action pieces are every bit as awesome as all of this implies.

DY

Quote from: Ebiris on November 12, 2011, 02:13:34 PM
I haven't really read the Heartlands of Time, but the Wastelands of Time (aforementioned prequel) was awesome. You know how Peggy Sue fics are popular in Harry Potter? Go back to the start with greater knowledge and make things better? Well Harry's been doing that hundreds of times, gaining more and more incredible power and knowledge from ancient sources every time.

Voldemort still kills him horribly every time because he's that much better at this stuff.

There's next to no Hogwarts shenanigans, it's much more adventure/mystery focused over the wider world with Harry, Voldemort, and a set of mysterious new players acting on a tier barely reachable by all but the most aged and powerful wizards in the setting. The fights and action pieces are every bit as awesome as all of this implies.

Pretty much that ^^. Definitely a recommended read.
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Jon

HP&tWoT/HoT is a fun read, but it gets a bit vague at times, I think. I'm not sure how to describe it, maybe that I don't really get a sense of place from Joe's writing. Since almost all of the storyline takes place in new locales, that's a problem.

Dracos

Huh.  Sounds neat.  Thanks for the short byline, Ebiris!
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Zero Interface has updated.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Nice derail. Now I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.