News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

I know, but considering how early Guiche is, that's basically saying, "It has two chapters!"
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

thepanda

Quote from: Brian on June 20, 2012, 03:02:30 AM
I know, but considering how early Guiche is, that's basically saying, "It has two chapters!"

And yet, so many FoZ fanfics take twice that many chapters, if not more, just to get to that point!

Dracos

Really?

I've read a lot of them I think, and almost all of them handle it by chapter 2.  Usually as the climax of chapter 2.  Much in the way many Ranma fics use chapter 1 to be 'Meet the Tendos' and chapter 2 to be 'and how does Ranma approach school' to establish tone.  I can't recall a one that took 4+ chapters to do it.  Zero Interface takes 3, but also has a lot of ranma antics going on prior too.

Totally agree with Brian here.   FnZ is a mess of hooks, but getting through the guiche fight is hardly even getting onto 'rails' to begin with.  Even Hill of Swords barely explores half the anime in its rather long take.  It's nonsense at points and very flawed, but much like Ranma is more than "Meet the Tendos", so is FnZ more than "Beat Guiche".
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

When I was plotting the FnZ/Haruhi crossover I was originally thinking about, one of the things I realized was that I would need to read/watch FnZ to know what I was dealing with.  There's a surprisingly huge volume of 'not much there'.

Supposedly the novels are a bit better on that count, but I'm not sure. :x

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

What's this? A trolling fanfic draws near! Command?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8238271/1/Proportionate_Retribution

Considering the author, my opinion is to read it, shrug my shoulders and close the browser window.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

<@Kotono> http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8238271/1/Proportionate_Retribution DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER DANGER DANGER DANGER
< Merc> This is why you hurt yourself like you do, Ko. Because you read fics like that.
<@Kotono> Eh, the fic didn't bother me much. Considering the author, I'm pretty sure he's just stirring shit.
* Kuyou kicks Ko through a tree.
< Kuyou> I'm going to write and then post another chapter of Unfair Warning.  Right now.

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6524578/1/Herald_of_the_Void

... is the only one of the Familiar of Zero fanfics I've read that has the distinction of being complete. Not sure about other distinctions... I mean Louise is barely even in it.

Then she shows up at the end when you barely even expected her to reappear. And the ending makes you think, "damn, I wish the author just skipped there in three chapters and focused on writing the sequel, instead of... whatever I just sat through".
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

That was a neat idea that becomes too summarize-y under the weight of what it's doing. Too bad.
<Afina> Forever.

thepanda

Glorious Shotgun Princess chapter 5 is up.

Edit: Promises of a Wandering Hero chapter 6 is up, too.

Anastasia

http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/255077.html

DK:A update. Shit hits the fan in a new and exciting way!

[spoiler]I have a dim inkling that Ami might counter it with something like Eternal Sleep. Assuming that preserves things in a timeless state...probably just a random idea that won't be remotely right.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

Mother of Learning, by nobody103.

It's original fiction story about a fantasy 'groundhog day' style time loop.

Setting is a magical academy where a third year mage named Zorian goes through his first month of school mostly normally (there are some slight inconsistencies he notices but mostly ignores at the time), but when the summer festival starts...things get even weirder as he finds himself repeating his first month of school and all those 'little' inconsistencies suddenly aren't so minor.

I liked that it takes five chapters before we even have a time loop occuring for the main character (as opposed to the usual half a chapter from fanfics), so we have a somewhat fleshed out world by then, and even afterwards we're still picking up more about it. Author also uses a nice touch of foreshadowing where things get mentioned briefly and start becoming more important in later loops as they're fleshed out.

Main character isn't actually going into a crazy power trip either, he's more true to the spirit of the groundhog day movie as he's kind of a self-centered guy that is starting to care a bit more about others little by little.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Brian

Quote from: Merc on June 24, 2012, 11:36:40 AMI liked that it takes five chapters before we even have a time loop occuring for the main character (as opposed to the usual half a chapter from fanfics), so we have a somewhat fleshed out world by then, and even afterwards we're still picking up more about it.

Uh, in fanfic, those 'five chapters' are the entire canon up to the divergence point.

~exploding tag~

Merc

I'm aware of that Brian, but it's still a nice change of pace.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Merc on June 24, 2012, 11:36:40 AM
Mother of Learning, by nobody103.

It's original fiction story about a fantasy 'groundhog day' style time loop.

Quote from: Brian on June 24, 2012, 12:04:10 PM
Uh, in fanfic, those 'five chapters' are the entire canon up to the divergence point.

I'm confused.

Is this an original story or not?  Because if it's a fanfic, I try to avoid writers who spend significant amounts of space retelling the original story (and I generally avoid fanfics of series with which I'm unfamiliar).  If not, this story sounds like something I try.

Merc

It's an original story, Miao. Brian just let slip fanfic because I'd made a comparison to fanfics regarding time taken to start a loop in this sort of stories.