News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olvelsper

Quote from: Brian on July 09, 2012, 03:52:03 AM
Thirteen chapters in before you chose to share a link...?

Here's chapter one for anyone interested: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7267553/1/Full_of_Sound_and_Fury

Edit: Poked at chapter one.  That's ... Olg, right?  As a quick observation, you have a very stiff sentence structure, specifically sticking two or more events together (per sentence) with 'as'.  It may change later, but made the first few paragraphs scan like a dry list of actions.

Heya Brian and Jason, thanks for the feedback. Those were pretty old stories that I wrote only towards the start of my writing. Not really sure if I've gotten better, but yeah I was pretty simplistic.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2589971/Ol%27Velsper : Then we will write in the shade.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 09, 2012, 11:27:33 AM
Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on July 06, 2012, 10:37:13 PM
So... Dark Lords of Nerima.

I still enjoy the series. Why does everyone hate this? :(
Drac and I have already answered this question.  Why do you not hate it? :)

Arakawa

Huh. My original curiosity was more along the lines of 'why is this worthy of hate rather than apathy?' I guess due to the feeling of getting bait-and-switched... as far as I understood the explanation.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

thepanda

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on July 09, 2012, 09:19:20 PM
Huh. My original curiosity was more along the lines of 'why is this worthy of hate rather than apathy?' I guess due to the feeling of getting bait-and-switched... as far as I understood the explanation.

Plus the 'status quo is god' ending of the first part really didn't help.

Arakawa

Quote from: thepanda on July 09, 2012, 09:38:13 PM
Plus the 'status quo is god' ending of the first part really didn't help.

Guess you're really not going to like the Death Phantom scene in Part 3, then, because... Ranma fights Death Phantom and precisely nothing changes as a result. Death Phantom just eventually gets bored and teleports away.

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Yeah. If the story is going to turn out exactly the same way as it did before, why bother reading a fanfic in the first place?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on July 09, 2012, 09:54:22 PMGuess you're really not going to like the Death Phantom scene in Part 3, then, because... Ranma fights Death Phantom and precisely nothing changes as a result. Death Phantom just eventually gets bored and teleports away.

Nope.  Just not going to bother reading it.

It doesn't help that I'm not a huge Ryouga fanboy, and part one was pretty clear that the author was.  That mismatch of interests plus the lack of progression boiled up in raging ... indifference.

I don't hate it.  I just couldn't care.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Arakawa

Meh, I don't know. Part 1 was clearly setting up for something more than what transpired, given that the whole scheme is implied to be a huge, brilliant application of Saotome Final Technique (i.e. disengaging from the battle to give themselves time to plan i.e. running away). Then it kills all momentum by skipping over the part where they'd logically apply the next plan. (The whole huge battle was... a bit too straightforward to be ideal.)

The next part should have been either them messing with Jadeite at Haneda airport (ideal) or perhaps the huge-battle interlude (sure, why not) then resuming immediately after Doom Tree arc finishes, instead of after Stars. But it seems like the author got tired of thinking of ways to mess with canon.

---

(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7502509/1/Cross_and_Thorn_a_Tale_of_the_Demon_Castle

Castlevania 1 fanfic. It's superbly written but challenging to get through. It's really as much a religious journey as the actual game, so a casual reader may be dissuaded. I really can't recommend it enough, as the flavor is absolutely outstanding.
<Afina> Forever.

thepanda

Ranma is Reborn by Fuyukazehime reviews
RanmaTenchi Xover. Ranma is accidentally nearly killed by Ayeka's warning shot! He is healed in a medical capsule but something went wrong. He is now a pure blooded juraian female and to top it all off has lost her memory. What will happen now? On Hold
Rated: T - English - Drama - Chapters: 1 - Words: 3,408 - Reviews: 61 - Published: 11-21-06 - Ranma

Anastasia

Why do you hate us, Panda?
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Merc

He doesn't hate you! He loves you enough to share his pain with you, but without offering an actual link to it!
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

thepanda

If I hated you I'd have simply given you a link, sans description, titled 'So, this is a thing that was written.'

Edit: Because, seriously, that chapter? That chapter. Man, that chapter. *shakes head and laughs*

Jason_Miao

So, this was a thing that was written.

-edit-
I should note for fairness: this isn't as bad as Panda's fic sounds, per se.  It's pretty neutral, with nothing particularly for or against it.  But I don't purposefully read terrible stories such as foot-fetish-Ukyou and the like, and I'm not going to go looking for Skysaber, so this is the worst I can come up with on short notice.