News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Heh, well, truthfully, the story seems more 'bad ranma' then 'bad akane'.  But both of them don't shine.
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

Oh hey, same Ozzallos time, same Ozzallos channel, but actually different fic.

http://s3.zetaboards.com/FanFictionFederation/topic/7584026/1/

alethiophile

So this thing updated. Pretty decent HP fic, Harry in Slytherin, covers up to the start of year 6.

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8326543/5/Subtle_Variations

Subtle Variations updated. It's a mildly summary-esque chapter, though the AN says the real story starts next chapter.
<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Anastasia on August 05, 2012, 12:56:56 PM
It's a mildly summary-esque chapter, though the AN says the real story starts next chapter.
It took five chapters to get to the "real story"?

Also, clicking around on link that you posted earlier, it looks like Ozzallos is doing a general dump of fic drafts/fragments.

I should probably stop looking at that forum.  Because none of those look like they're going to be stories with a small number of chapters and I know everything will end up the same as most of his other multi-chapter stories: He'll have a strong opening, 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through he'll give into the urge to not murder his darlings, and I'll end up on my rooftop with arms spread out shouting "Whyyyyyy?!" in overly dramatic fashion into the deep-blue sky.

Kt3

Quote from: Dracos on August 01, 2012, 06:21:27 PM
Remember when we were constantly tossing out good fics here?

I miss that :(

At least the writing board is all lively :)  We should go read and link some of those :P

We could at least discuss more about the things we link.  And not just things that bug us about, say, Ozz's newest work, but instead the undiscussed things Kt3 linked a while ago.  :P
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Dracos

Quote from: alethiophile on August 03, 2012, 04:11:07 AM
So this thing updated. Pretty decent HP fic, Harry in Slytherin, covers up to the start of year 6.

I've just finished consuming all of this.

It's got its problems, but I agree with the assessment.  It's got a lot going for it and is kind of interesting.  More, it's got a lot covered and seems to have a plan through to finish.

About the only thing I blink at is some of Harry's personality swaps and that the other side of the romance plots seem unaffected?  "They're murdering your aunt, but he's too close to the war to date?"

It does play Ron as a jerk, but well...he is.  And he doesn't have much screentime with it.

I rather like the callout on Azkaban being utterly ridiculous in every way.  I've also mostly enjoyed Dumbledorf's scheming in this one.  Generally not wanting to, but willing to recognize that the Plan Has Changed.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Kt3 on August 06, 2012, 06:18:51 PM

At least the writing board is all lively :)  We should go read and link some of those :P

We could at least discuss more about the things we link.  And not just things that bug us about, say, Ozz's newest work, but instead the undiscussed things Kt3 linked a while ago.  :P

Heh, well, I think it's just a lack of FF8 fans in that fact.  I know I was shaky at even looking since me and FF8's narrative aren't on speaking terms.

"Bitch, put your continuity together!"
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: thepanda on July 21, 2012, 09:25:09 PM
Fate/Ingens Cor

A Fate/Stay Night crossover with Harry Potter. And shockingly enough it doesn't suck. Though I think I know who all the servants are.

That being said, it does have a lot of technical issues, repetition of words (and sometimes entire phrases) being one of the most annoying. It could use some proofing.

Hmm.  I think I've got about the same thoughts.  I think there's a little...no a lot too much 'informed' knowledge.  And Lars is convienent plot device that I don't think was needed.

I'll probably follow somewhat longer at least.  It is kind of a bit eyebrow raising in how many of the heroes are all local legends of the same time period.  It is also eyebrow raising how many of them simply clash horribly with their master.

in both Fate Stay/night and Fate Zero, it seemed like in general there was a lot of natural kinship in any of the summons that weren't forced using a magic artifact.

Here, half of them want to kill people that summoned them right away.  :( 
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7207791/21/From_Fake_Dreams

From Fake Dreams updated.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Shiro gets a powerup that's more of a hindrance and there's more setup for the Grail War. Still feels like it's treading water until the actual war.
<Afina> Forever.

Kt3

Quote from: Dracos on August 06, 2012, 06:41:42 PM
Quote from: Kt3 on August 06, 2012, 06:18:51 PM

Heh, well, I think it's just a lack of FF8 fans in that fact.  I know I was shaky at even looking since me and FF8's narrative aren't on speaking terms.

"Bitch, put your continuity together!"
Yes, well, I personally hated it as well.  That should be a sign.  :)

I was also speaking of other things I linked.  I've been trying to link things that I think anyone could enjoy reading, regardless of fandom.
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Jason_Miao

Yes, well, I personally hated it as well.  That should be a sign.  :)

I was also speaking of other things I linked.  I've been trying to link things that I think anyone could enjoy reading, regardless of fandom.
That's something to point out. 

I tend to avoid fics of series I haven't read/watched/played, mainly because I suspect I won't really understand what is going on.  And I think the Final Fantasy series is the antithesis of how to make a good game, so I tend to especially avoid stories about those...unless someone mentions that the story is a good story even if you don't like the game.

Dracos

Quote from: Jason_Miao on July 30, 2012, 10:43:23 PM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7977390/1/Life_in_Konohas_ANBU

It's easy to get the impression in the first few paragraphs that this is just a thing that was written; if you care to glance at it, finish chapter one before deciding whether to continue reading.

I sorta get what it's going for, but it's really playing the buttmonkey card way too hard.  It makes it hard to keep in a serious raising a hero context.  Mmm.  Yeah.

Got to chapter 5.  Hard drop.  It's just incoherent.  A mix of "Naruto as Sarutobi's heir", buttmonkey, he's 'not awesome', but he  totally is using dozens of complicated techniques, and look sarutobi's grandson is taking his place?  And going to wave country?
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

KT3:

Not that we're ignoring, it's just slow to hook with unexpected stories.
Well, Goodbye.