News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

It really does a lot with the canvas.  I don't like the constant use of foreign languages in it, but frankly it really is taking an effort to tell that story as part of a real world rather than as a story in the anime setting.

I could do without the Desmond bits.  But I could also do without the Desmond bits in the original Assassin's Creed, so hey, can't blame an author for being true to the canon.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Indeed.

This is one of those rare fics where the foreign language tidbits aren't terribly annoying. So hell, I'll give it latitude on that.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/256527.html

DK:A update.

[spoiler]Ami's cracking. I think something's gonna happen there soon.
<Afina> Forever.

Rayearth

This thread is lacking in Gundam, so I'll toss this one in, since it just got updated: Mobile Battalion Gundam Wars

So it's a semi-crossover arena fanfic, but its treated seriously, like the plot of a typical Super Robot Wars. It's somewhat technical, as in characters take note of the odd patterns and breaks in the pattern between their gathered mobile suits. However, it definitely doesn't drown you in specs like a Battletech fic or something like that.

I feel somewhat embarrassed that I managed to recognize most of the characters from the start. There's, what, been fifteen different Gundam series since 1979? Twenty?

thepanda

Quote from: Rayearth on October 05, 2012, 08:32:23 AM
This thread is lacking in Gundam, so I'll toss this one in, since it just got updated: Mobile Battalion Gundam Wars

So it's a semi-crossover arena fanfic, but its treated seriously, like the plot of a typical Super Robot Wars. It's somewhat technical, as in characters take note of the odd patterns and breaks in the pattern between their gathered mobile suits. However, it definitely doesn't drown you in specs like a Battletech fic or something like that.

I feel somewhat embarrassed that I managed to recognize most of the characters from the start. There's, what, been fifteen different Gundam series since 1979? Twenty?

That sounds a lot like the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games. (Own all three. Two is still the best!)

Arakawa

Something I found that people have been enjoying on IRC:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4975814/1/My-Wish-Order-Brother

Bit rough around the edges technically, but an interesting study of how to make Deidara sympathetic, and why he is so insane. (Namely, the inevitably traumatic childhood of a child Jounin with a nearly-extinct heavy-weapons bloodline.) He escapes from Iwagakure, winds up hiding in Konoha instead of joining up with Akatsuki, comes to adopt Naruto as a brother and teaches all of the future genin characters how to blow things up. (They are all about six years old at this point, while Deidara is ten.) Alternately cutesy and a bit dark, with just enough of an actual plot to keep things going strong so far.

Sakura's mom is for some reason
Spoiler: ShowHide
the most terrifying yandere in the history of history, and hangs out with Orochimaru like it's no big deal
. That was kind of wut.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6892672/10/Haigeki

Read some of this out of pure curiosity.

Pluto has Bitch of the Decade in the bag now. Wow.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Quote from: Anastasia on October 06, 2012, 12:40:54 AM
Pluto has Bitch of the Decade in the bag now. Wow.

Oh lord almighty, they drag Bitch Pluto into this as well? That cements my resolution not to read any more of the fic. And it started out so promisingly too.

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Cold blooded bitch Pluto. Now maybe she had her reasons, but it was a sublime sort of uberbitch. I was in awe of the sheer bitch factor, as if all the saints of bitchdom had come to bless this fic.
<Afina> Forever.

JonBob

In Flight updated. Battle time! and banana nut muffins.

Jason_Miao

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5245635/1/Magical-Girl-Nanoha-12

DY posted a link last year.  Last note states that the writer likely won't continue the story, but at least the arc was finished.

Arakawa

Quote from: Jason_Miao on October 10, 2012, 09:01:35 PM
DY posted a link last year.  Last note states that the writer likely won't continue the story, but at least the arc was finished.

Ah yes, this was the one with the most awesome massively-OOC Genma in the history of history.

---

(from Wm. Blake)

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on October 10, 2012, 09:05:45 PM
Ah yes, this was the one with the most awesome massively-OOC Genma in the history of history.

Nah, I think the most awesomely massively-OOC Genma was that fic on the FFML back in the day where Akane is barren, Ranma volunteers to become pregnant to further the schools, Genma greatly protests this as terrible and Nodoka gives her full support and blessing as it's clearly a manly thing to do.  But obviously, from the previous line, the writer had issues beyond his handling of Genma in the first place, so eh.

VySaika

All I can say to that is "wut"
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

thepanda

Most awesome, massively-OOC Genma

Not most awesomely massively-OOC