Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_Miao

Quote from: thepanda on October 11, 2012, 12:34:09 AM
Most awesome, massively-OOC Genma

Not most awesomely massively-OOC

The changes in interpretation that commas provide can also be awesome. :)

Dracos

Quote from: JonBob on October 10, 2012, 11:38:39 AM
In Flight updated. Battle time! and banana nut muffins.

Enjoyed this chapter.  Kinda curious though
Spoiler: ShowHide

How shirou won't end up simply dead?  Since they already let the black sekerei into melee distance with him.
Well, Goodbye.

alethiophile

Speculations vary. More seriously, he's not at full capacity at the moment, and fairly obviously so; it's quite possible that Karasuba will hold off on killing him in order to fight him when he's fresh. (Also, killing him will terminate Musubi, and this would remove Karasuba's ability to fulfill her promise.) Less seriously, others speculate that she's in fact not winged yet, and this is just Shirou triggering the same overpowered reaction (in this case, via bloodlust) that he has in, well, just about every other Sekirei he's ever looked at. :P

thepanda

Less seriously, others speculate that she's in fact not winged yet, and this is just Shirou triggering the same overpowered reaction (in this case, via bloodlust) that he has in, well, just about every other Sekirei he's ever looked at. :P

That's what I took from Benitsubasa's final comment.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5019925/1/The-Attractions-of-Abduction

A dragonball Z fic that doesn't suck? What sorcery is this?! I like the setup and the author's writing style a lot. The plot detours when Nappa and Vegeta arrive on Earth and goes off the rails. Namely, the Namek Dragonballs are used to restore the Saiyan homeworld, all the people there and transport everyone on Namek to the Saiyan homeworld. This isn't a spoiler since it's mentioned in the fic summary.

Fair warning: The fic is rated M for a reason. It doesn't go full on lemon, but a few bits skirt into soft lime. It's not common, but it does happen a time or two.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

Been reading The Well Groomed Mind a Harry Potter fic which takes a few things we know about the Ministry of Magic from the books and runs with them. I'll let this excerpt from chapter 8 which I just finished summarise it for you:

"Open your eyes and look at the world around you. The Ministry of Magic, our legal government, ordered a man who was imprisoned without a trial kissed on sight. There's another phrase for that: summary execution. We're not at war with anyone, they didn't declare a state of emergency, or take any other step to legalize it because they consider it perfectly legal. Before you claim Sirius is an exception, do the research. He's not the first person they've targeted; he's just the first who's survived more than a year." I grabbed her hand. "Summary executions are the stuff of totalitarian regimes and nightmares. It's currently our government's policy. I'm sorry. I know you want to believe Dumbledore fought for what's right. I want to believe the same thing about my parents, but the fact remains summary execution is wrong as is political censorship, show trials, state-controlled mass media like The Daily Prophet and the Wizarding Wireless Network, and warrant-less searches. All of which the Ministry of Magic, led by Minister Fudge and Chief Warlock Albus Dumbledore, practices."

There's no super Harry armed with aristocratic titles and vaults of gold fighting the good fight against this, he's much more a scared kid trying to figure out how to protect himself without sticking his head out and getting disappeared for his trouble, while stuck dealing with the Triwizard tournament - though he is benefiting from additional training via Moody, who seems to share much of Harry's newfound views...

VySaika

Please tell me it doesn't try to turn Voldemort into the misunderstood rebel who is actually not that bad outside of his extreme methods.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Ebiris

Okay I won't.

Voldemort hasn't appeared in person yet (by chapter 14) but we've learned that he's kept his Tom Riddle and Voldemort personas seperate, and Tom Riddle is a reclusive academic who occasionally writes articles for Transfiguration Weekly. I admit I'm a bit dubious, it would have been more interesting if the Wizarding World was completely fucked rather than Voldemort of all people offering change for the better. But I'm still enjoying it.

VySaika

Oi.

Yeah, I definately agree. A case of canon badguy still being the badguy even as the fanfic is setting up the ministry to also be badguys...well, leaves poor Harry and co in a really bad spot, but would make for a more interesting fic. Still, if they haven't outright made Voldemort not a badguy yet, then it might still do something surprising.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Arakawa

Quote from: Ebiris on October 13, 2012, 08:52:38 PM
There's no super Harry armed with aristocratic titles and vaults of gold fighting the good fight against this, he's much more a scared kid trying to figure out how to protect himself without sticking his head out and getting disappeared for his trouble, while stuck dealing with the Triwizard tournament - though he is benefiting from additional training via Moody, who seems to share much of Harry's newfound views...

If it's circa Goblet of Fire, wouldn't you reasonably expect this Moody
to be the fake Moody who's actually Barty Crouch Jr.?

EDIT: never mind, it's brought up in Chapter 5.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Dracos

Quote from: thepanda on October 11, 2012, 10:44:44 PM
 Less seriously, others speculate that she's in fact not winged yet, and this is just Shirou triggering the same overpowered reaction (in this case, via bloodlust) that he has in, well, just about every other Sekirei he's ever looked at. :P

That's what I took from Benitsubasa's final comment.

HUh, that'd actually be pretty cool.
Well, Goodbye.

alethiophile

Unfortunately, it's unlikely to actually happen; GB has stated that Shirou will not end up winging Karasuba, if only because that would make him so utterly broken. Funny to think about, though.

Anastasia

http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/256704.html

DK:A update. One part funny and
Crowned Death just got bitch smacked again.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Jason_Miao

The early parts of the story did have Keeper Ami with a certain theme.  I had been wondering if it had been forgotten about entirely, or would be revisited. 

alethiophile

Nightmares of Futures Past updated. (After about three years of downtime. Seriously, my entire writing career, such as it is and what there is of it, has been since this thing last updated.)

Decent enough. Fairly short, for the whole 'three years' aspect.