News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

The luddite level was at silly funny with Shirou.

The luddite level is at unbelievable for Rin.  I can buy not caring about the details or deeming it unimportant.  This is set in 2005 japan at the earliest.  Cell phones are everywhere.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7657235/22/

Path of the King updated. This is wholly a downtime chapter, filling in some needed inter-personal advancement and setting up what's to come.
Spoiler: ShowHide
Telling Dojima and Taiga what's up had to happen and did need to happen IC. At least it focused on the right things rather than exposition we already knew. Anyway, the cliffhanger at the end of the chapter looks promising, albeit that there's a lot more to go before the Grail War starts.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9203703/1/Fate-Unlimted-Blade-Works-Sekirei

This is a great fic if you want to see how many variants of WHAT THE FUCK?! you can come up with while reading. Bonus points if the summary provokes it - it sure did with me.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

I almost insist on an "OW" tag being there.  In fact I shall add one.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

I can't say it isn't deserved.

In better news, this fic updated: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6241559/1/Help-Wanted

It's a fun Ranma/Sailor Moon romp that's anything but stereotypical. There's only one bad part and it's a small strand* so far.
Ukyo's appearance screams of transparently tying up loose ends in Ranma's love life. The fic seems to be going in a generally Ranma/Akane direction, which I feel is rather distracting from the story that's being told. There's enough going on without roiling up the fiancee mess into it. Shampoo also got that treatment but it's been decidedly a sideshow at best.

I dunno. The fic premise is amusing enough and decently original. Then we have the Ranma/Akane stuff which feels like the one millionth rehash and tangential to everything else going on. I don't know if the author's going somewhere with it, if they're big Ranma/Akane fans or if they just feel obligated.

*Not such a small strand when I sit down and write it out. Huh.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Pretty much conclude agreement with Anastasia's take on it.

The overall fic is still amusing, though the latest chapter seemed more a handful of unrelated scenes rather than a meaningful step forward?
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on April 15, 2013, 08:24:44 PM
Pretty much conclude agreement with Anastasia's take on it.

The overall fic is still amusing, though the latest chapter seemed more a handful of unrelated scenes rather than a meaningful step forward?

It feels like someone trying to get back to writing after a long delay. Y'know, get something out to help motivate yourself.
<Afina> Forever.

DY

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7366113/1/Shinji-and-the-Doctor

Been reading this fic recently. The Tenth Doctor meets Shinji due to a rift in space-time. Really good characterization of the Doctor, very much enjoyed reading the interactions between Shinji and the Doctor.
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

alethiophile

@that FSN/Sekirei fic:

"Shirou jolted awake when the plane strongly vibrated through the entire plane."

Really?

Anastasia

Quote from: alethiophile on April 16, 2013, 01:48:01 AM
@that FSN/Sekirei fic:

"Shirou jolted awake when the plane strongly vibrated through the entire plane."

Really?

Wait until you read about the soul bond between Shirou and Rin!
<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

Oh hey, they're writing again.  I remember that fic.

Quote from: Anastasia on April 15, 2013, 03:12:46 PM
I don't know if the author's going somewhere with it, if they're big Ranma/Akane fans or if they just feel obligated.

Weebee, one of the two writers, tended to have interesting premises, and inconsistent execution.  Wrote Contrast Match as well, so I don't think there's any particular Ranma/Akane fandom going on.

JonBob

In Flight updated. Again. Lots of talking about Shiro and some plot progression.

Dracos

I Frowned at it disapprovingly, with rambling in kitago.

I prolly will write up something to the author, but my main complaint is that the author spent an enormous amount of time telling a different story, with this scene being something front in his mind as something he wanted to tell from the beginning.  And the story he's been telling is largely incidental to the scene.  Most of it is actually deadweight, if the focus is that this is the climax.  Things that made the slice of life/action story that was running before work in a fun manner are just excess cruft for the event that is 'that big thing that was waited for'.  Having a dozen characters sitting on the sidelines as observers is just cruft.
Well, Goodbye.

JonBob

From Fake Dreams is up to chapter 28. Assassin has hax, Rider is jealous of Saber, and we have some more teaming up.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on April 22, 2013, 03:07:05 PM
I Frowned at it disapprovingly, with rambling in kitago.

I prolly will write up something to the author, but my main complaint is that the author spent an enormous amount of time telling a different story, with this scene being something front in his mind as something he wanted to tell from the beginning.  And the story he's been telling is largely incidental to the scene.  Most of it is actually deadweight, if the focus is that this is the climax. 

Spoilering this.

I thought Hill of Swords had this problem too. It was telling a story of Shirou in FoZ, but the author set out to write a fic where Shirou and Saber reunite in the end. The rest of the story isn't really relevant to that except insofar that he stays loyal to her. Which, incidentally, is invalidated in the epilogue anyway.

Unrelated to the above, but holy hell is In Flight turning into a huge flame magnet elsewhere. I don't care about the story, but wow is it attracting tides of vitriol.
<Afina> Forever.