News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kt3

Quote from: Brian on May 03, 2013, 12:21:18 AM
Had some thoughts while going through the Peggy Sue section of Naruto thoughts on TVTropes, and Drac suggested I share them here:

(snip)
I'm pretty sure I've read a couple of Naruto fics that treaded that path already.

Can't remember which ones they would be for the life of me however.
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Brian

Yeah, more of them don't than do, so....

Anyway, on the topic of Naruto Peggy Sues, I've been going through them a bit while waiting for long tests to finish.  So here's another one:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8298025/

It's abandoned, but I found it surprisingly enjoyable.  Premise is that Sakura gets sent back ... but lands when she's four years old.  The style is minimal, yet surprisingly evocative, and Sakura is kind of ridiculously powerful, but the story was a pleasant distraction anyway.  You can even look at where it leaves off as a sort of conclusion, which helps mitigate the 'abandoned' factor ... though I'm a little 'meh' on the last scene personally.

Anyway, it managed to not be wholly offensive.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

thepanda

Quote from: Anastasia on May 08, 2013, 02:42:55 AM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6556187/41/In-Flight

In Flight updated. Y'all have fun with that.
These last three chapters remind me of when I watched Mahoromatic back in the day. You know, the end part. -_-

Anastasia

I read the chapter and
Spoiler: ShowHide
I was not impressed by how Shirou resolved the situation. Better hope no one can break a geas.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

In flight, being unimpressive in its logic patterns?

Color me surprised.

*reads, finds the entire thing rather ridiculous*
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Anastasia on May 08, 2013, 06:07:04 PM
Spoiler: ShowHide
Better hope no one can break a geas.

If this is based on classic myths, doesn't doing so lead to death?

JonBob

[/quote]

If this is based on classic myths, doesn't doing so lead to death?
[/quote]
If you take a look at Fate Zero and the self-geis scroll, that essentially forces one's own magic crest/circuit to enforce the geis. That then brings up an issue of magic resistance (which Rin should have a lot more than Shirou), but it seems like Gabriel has made a way around it by saying "if I geis myself hard, I can geis someone else just as hard".
[/spoiler]

Dracos

Like most things, its lore driven which kind of makes it feel very bullshittish in context of the story because Nasu lore is a pile of inconsistencies combined with absurdities.  But its not like there wasn't the lead up of them being SUPEREFFECTIVE.  It just was lame regardless.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

So, still going through my Naruto Peggy Sue trawl.  Evidently 'Naruto's life as a videogame' is a subgenre.  Who knew?  This one is amusing, at least:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7820743/

It's not complete, but appears to actually be in progress, not abandoned.  In any case, so far it starts off great, gets briefly awesome, and then declines to decent, but enjoyable, and holds steady.  I think you could do a lot worse than this one.

~exploding tag~

thepanda

Have I recommended Halkegenia Online yet? If not, consider this a high recommendation. Familiar of Zero/ Sword Art Online crossover.

Louise's summons brings the whole of the VMMORPG Alfhelm Online into the FoZ universe. Much, MUCH better than it sounds. Updates often. Latest Spacebattles thread here.

Anastasia

Quote from: thepanda on May 09, 2013, 07:24:32 PM
Have I recommended Halkegenia Online yet? If not, consider this a high recommendation. Familiar of Zero/ Sword Art Online crossover.

Louise's summons brings the whole of the VMMORPG Alfhelm Online into the FoZ universe. Much, MUCH better than it sounds. Updates often. Latest Spacebattles thread here.

I skim that one. It has the occasional interesting segment, but I'm not familiar with Sword Art Online. So I'm reading it for the FoZ bits and not the bulk of the story. Despite all that, it manages to be entertaining sometimes.
<Afina> Forever.

thepanda

Quote from: Anastasia on May 09, 2013, 07:38:44 PM
Quote from: thepanda on May 09, 2013, 07:24:32 PM

I skim that one. It has the occasional interesting segment, but I'm not familiar with Sword Art Online. So I'm reading it for the FoZ bits and not the bulk of the story. Despite all that, it manages to be entertaining sometimes.
It's what made me watch Sword Art Online in the first place. I started for the FoZ, but by the time they made any significant appearance I was reading for the SAO. The Tarbes side story arc was just about the perfect mix of the two.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Anastasia on May 09, 2013, 07:38:44 PM
I skim that one. It has the occasional interesting segment, but I'm not familiar with Sword Art Online.

Translations of the novels are online.  When I made the observation on IRC that generally in harem anime, the girl whose specialty is cooking never seems to win (and tried writing a tiny story based on that), someone pointed to Asuna in SAO as a counter-example.  So I went looking for SAO translations to see how it was handled.

Brian

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8264234/

Another in the chain of Naruto Peggy Sues I've been going through.

No spectacular premises here, but so far, very nice execution.

~exploding tag~