News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Anastasia on July 17, 2013, 01:46:05 PM
Oh yeah, I remember that one. Was it going anywhere?
The fic?  Maybe, but it settled the relationship issue at chapter 2, so I'm not sure what the writer would want to do with it.

God of Cookery?  Definitely not.

Quote from: Dracos on July 17, 2013, 06:13:25 PM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6633749/1/Synesthesia updated.

Haven't read yet.  Will yammer more later.
Oh hey, the writer continued writing that?  I don't actually remember much about it, except the restaurant uniforms.

Dracos

synesthesia continues to be enjoyable.  I finished a reread of all of it and the new chapter today.
Well, Goodbye.

Pensive Rumination

Quote from: Anastasia on July 17, 2013, 01:56:20 PM
I liked that one at first and got less interested as it went on. It's not badly written in a technical sense, but Shirou's entire gig there doesn't feel right to me. I can't really elaborate it coherently without a reread, but it was sort of Mary Sue-ish? The feel of what happens to Shirou doesn't really groove to the Nasuverse to me, flavorwise.

I do get what you mean, he does seem to emit a shounen-esque aura of competence and lucky coincidence at times.  Not sure, but I think some of it relates to his ultimate fate, arrows backwards in time and all that.

I just wish he'd get rid of the ANs clogging up the start of any chapter. Fuck, I want to strangle Gabriel Blessing or whomever popularized that.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8560965/17/God-Slaying-Blade-Works

Umm..I think it was Gabriel Blessing.  I recall there were quite a few calls for readers to move it to the bottom, but he/she refused.  Would you kill me if I told you I was the one who suggested he put in the *Spoiler Warning* which then became his compromise? :p

Ebiris

Quote from: Pensive Rumination on July 18, 2013, 07:26:31 AM
Umm..I think it was Gabriel Blessing.  I recall there were quite a few calls for readers to move it to the bottom, but he/she refused.  Would you kill me if I told you I was the one who suggested he put in the *Spoiler Warning* which then became his compromise? :p

I've never read any of his ANs and I really did resent him for including them. I generally read fanfic on my phone, so having to scroll down past his giant screed of spoilers for what I'm about to read was bad enough, but like fuck I'm arsing myself to go all the way back up top to read them when I'm done.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Ebiris on July 18, 2013, 12:34:31 PM
Quote from: Pensive Rumination on July 18, 2013, 07:26:31 AM

I've never read any of his ANs and I really did resent him for including them. I generally read fanfic on my phone, so having to scroll down past his giant screed of spoilers for what I'm about to read was bad enough, but like fuck I'm arsing myself to go all the way back up top to read them when I'm done.

This right here is why I stopped reading his stuff.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Dunno how many of you remember him, but I've been reading Megane 6.7's MSTings again, after having forgtten about them for years and years. About half of them aren't work safe, but they are hilarious.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

I don't think that's far enough in the past.

Go further.

They may invent THE WHEEL.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

I can tolerate the opening ANs, but they are annoying as all hell.

QuoteUmm..I think it was Gabriel Blessing.  I recall there were quite a few calls for readers to move it to the bottom, but he/she refused.  Would you kill me if I told you I was the one who suggested he put in the *Spoiler Warning* which then became his compromise? :p

Ahahahhaa. Nah, it's cool. I get the impression he wasn't going to budge on the issue. For whatever reason he seems stuck on front-loading ANs.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Rayearth

I had to confirm for myself that his recent author's notes really do spoil the chapter directly under them. Why? Why would anyone do that?

I also found this style analysis of one of the later chapters. It's detailed, but it puts into words what exactly made the past (2?) year's worth of the story almost unreadable to me.

Anastasia

Quote from: Rayearth on July 18, 2013, 07:41:22 PMI also found this style analysis of one of the later chapters. It's detailed, but it puts into words what exactly made the past (2?) year's worth of the story almost unreadable to me.

Yeah, isn't that one the people from Beast's Lair did?

I basically agree with the points there - though I don't care much since I don't follow Sekirei so whatever - and I remember the hubbub about it.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

I'm kind of tempted to split off the gabe bashing into it's own thread, but it's sort of mixed in with comments on the actual new fic postings.  I will say, let's move it to its own discussion thread if you guys want to keep it up.
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Quote from: Yuthirin on July 18, 2013, 04:40:54 PM
Dunno how many of you remember him, but I've been reading Megane 6.7's MSTings again, after having forgtten about them for years and years. About half of them aren't work safe, but they are hilarious.

I remember The Countess Chronicles.  -_-

I really, really wish I didn't. -_-

Pensive Rumination

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9384156/1/Why-Me

A FoZ SI from the writer of God Slaying Blade Works. I'm really torn on this one. I want to like parts of it and other parts of it make me wince hard. I dunno.

Don't really like it, title made me think it might contain some reference to David Eddings Belgariad, but it didn't.  Has the feel of a badly written SI to me, even though the author claims the main character is an OC.  Seems like it'd make a better crack or comedy fic.  Also the author's outright copied the plot out from another fic called Familiar of ZerOOO.  It has almost exactly the same set-up only with Fate/Zero instead of Kamen Rider.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7518163/1/Familiar-of-ZerOOO
(in case you wanted to check it out, it's...okay?)

If your looking for Iskander antics in FoZ try:

www.fanfiction.net/s/6995539/1/Alexandriad-The-Song-of-Fire

Hasn't been updated in more than a year, but it's much better in my opinion.  Plots progressed to about the same spot as Why Me, though it doesn't look like it'll be updated anytime soon.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9216685/18/MLP-Loops

Recently updated.  Basically an Innortal-style time loop fic involving the MLP:FiM cast, which means it's mostly played for laughs and any form of plot rarely lasts past the chapter.  Also contains a lot of 'crossover loops' with basically any series the author can think of (latest chapter involved 'Hey Arnold!') including other fanfictions.  Other authors often contribute scenes which are chucked in, because time-loops.  Great for if you want a few laughs, though some scenes can be a bit incomprehensible if your not familiar with the TV episodes. 

Author is Saphroneth and they have a flair for humor and warfare.  Some of their other fics:
Another time loops fic starring characters from How to Train Your Dragon (also crosses over with this MLP time-loops)
www.fanfiction.net/s/7305602/1/HTTYD-Loops

Not-so-serious Peggy Sue Pokemon fic ('physics', jokes, Awesome!Squirtle and TVtropes page included)
www.fanfiction.net/s/7262793/1/Ashes-of-the-Past

MLP Sci-fi fic done in the style of David Weber ("Confound these ponies!")
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7769439/1/Ponies-in-space

LoTR/General series by David Drake crossover (where Saruman is less 'Evil' and more 'Gunpowder + Innovation')
www.fanfiction.net/s/7568728/1/Saruman-of-many-Devices

Not-so-serious Naruto rewrite (which attempts to explain why Summoning and other stuff in Naruto is broken amidst the comedy)
www.fanfiction.net/s/7183151/1/Vulpine

And wow, is this a long post or what? XD