News:

"It occured to me while drunk, so it must have been genius."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Oh hey, let's check fics out one more time before bed. What could go wrong?

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6372400/20/Chaos-Theory

Oh. Oh well, it's not like I need sleep.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Jason_Miao

It's not that I'm determined to never read them.  It's that if I'm going to read >3 books that I probably won't like to read 3 books that I probably would like, I'll just try reading something I'd probably like instead.  It's not as if I'm lacking books to read at the moment, so reading through WoT would just be a lower priority.

Having tried to read the Ranma/SM/Eva fic I linked earlier, I can't recommend it.  However, I did find this: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1556217/1/Dear-Akane

It's a Ryouga slice-of-life by the same guy who wrote that Ranma/SM xover with the "finest of birdfoods" line.  I think the writing style works in this fic.  Since Ryouga is sort of awkward and melodramatic, writing his thoughts in that manner sounds like something Ryouga may have thought.

alethiophile

This thing is kind of amusing. HP time travel, somewhat AU; it takes a lot of the cliches of super!Harry stories and dumps them on Hermione instead, while leaving Harry as the POV. Watching Hermione kind of genius all over everything is fun.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7657235/25/Path-of-the-King

Path of the King updated. It's largely a character development chapter with the action ready to burst in the next one. I liked all of it, there was some nice building blocks in play. Now it's just a question of what precisely Shirou's new Mystic Code can do.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

Quote from: alethiophile on July 26, 2013, 02:02:10 PMWatching Hermione kind of genius all over everything is fun.

That sounds suspiciously like the actual canon.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

alethiophile

It's even more so here. Perhaps a bit blatant, even, but since I'm decidedly biased in favor of Hermione I can excuse it. And the writing is amusing.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9059345/9/Of-The-Stars

Of the Stars updated. I thought it was okay.

Spoiler: ShowHide
It's jumping too fast towards Sailor Moon going all Messiah up in here for my tastes. This feels really premature to pull. Maybe the author's going somewhere with it, I don't know.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Quote from: alethiophile on July 26, 2013, 02:02:10 PM
This thing is kind of amusing. HP time travel, somewhat AU; it takes a lot of the cliches of super!Harry stories and dumps them on Hermione instead, while leaving Harry as the POV. Watching Hermione kind of genius all over everything is fun.

I read the pitch, but didn't go further.  A squib'd harry is less interesting than a weak one just because it'll require tremendous suspension of disbelief for him to even be hanging out at hogwarts to watch.
Well, Goodbye.

alethiophile

He's not actually squibbed, just very weak; it's predicted that over the course of the Hogwarts years he'll increase in power, though it's left ambiguous just to where. He is still capable of doing the ordinary first-year magic, with circumscriptions.

Empyrean

Quote from: Anastasia on July 26, 2013, 02:12:28 PM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7657235/25/Path-of-the-King

Path of the King updated. It's largely a character development chapter with the action ready to burst in the next one. I liked all of it, there was some nice building blocks in play. Now it's just a question of what precisely Shirou's new Mystic Code can do.

I'm enjoying this fic as well, although the most recent chapter seems to shift hard toward the Tsukihime side of the Nasuverse rather than the Fate/whatever side. I guess it gives Shirou some more things to do before the next Grail War starts, but I'm a sucker for the Shirou/Caster interactions, and it seems like there will be fewer of those with them being in different cities. Oh well; it's not supposed to last too long, so I can deal with it.

Anastasia

That and it looks like Caster's going to stay in partial focus while he's away. Things like that phone argument and Caster, Rin and Saber bouncing off each other were good. I'm a big fan of Tsukihime, so I can't wait for Shirou to muck around in that.
<Afina> Forever.

alethiophile

I'm a bit wary of inserting another big subplot before the actual Grail War; the subplots are entertaining, but it would be nice to get to the actual plot of the story sometime. That said, it will be interesting seeing Shirou run into the Tsukihime plot.

Ebiris

I plugged this maybe a couple of years ago, but Victory at Ostagar is finally finished, clocking in at an impressive 1.1 million words. Updating every Sunday without fail, I've gotta give the writer some props just for that, even if it wasn't well written with weighty chapters. If you didn't read it before, check it out now!

Another two chapters are planned in the coming weeks for an alternate ending, which should be good but I think this one hit the right notes. I'm hoping once it's all wrapped she'll get back to The Keening Blade which was dropped last year to focus on Victory at Ostagar.

Dracos

Hmmm, I've been looking for a convenient giant fic to read. :)  *remembers the original rec, but never got into Dragon Age fanfiction*
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Firebird's Son

Harry Potter set in a world with a massive gender disparity in the magic world. If you're looking for comedy and harem hijacks this is not the fic for you. Good world-building, depressing story. Maybe a bit too much quidditch.