What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Seems rather abuse centric within the first few paragraphs, with a summary suggestion saying it doesn't get better.
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Quote from: thepanda on July 30, 2013, 12:45:45 AM
Firebird's Son

Harry Potter set in a world with a massive gender disparity in the magic world. If you're looking for comedy and harem hijacks this is not the fic for you. Good world-building, depressing story. Maybe a bit too much quidditch.

First chapter = NOPE.

Sorry!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

Didn't make it past the summary/warnings.  I spent all my badfic endurance for this week navigating a PeggyMary Sue fic of epic proportions:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8175132/1/Jamie-Evans-and-Fate-s-Fool

It's quite terrible.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Jason_Miao

Looked at the first two chapters of this:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9386627/1/Destiny-Vs-Chaos

Not something I'd recommend, but it has an example of something I've been seeing pop up in a few assorted Ranma fics I've read recently (which I also don't recommend, so didn't post them here), so I'll quote from it here.

Ranma's blue eyes darkened noticeably for a second then he sighed. "I could ask something like 'oh and where was it when I needed help?'" The man in front of him winced, he had read the file on one Genma Saotome and knew the government had dropped the ball several times there. "Or why I should give a flying fuck about the government, but I won't. That wouldn't be worthy of The Code, so why don't you tell me why the government needs my help then I can tell ya if I can actually help ya."

This isn't the first fic of recent vintage where I've seen some writer has Ranma mention "The Code."  Having read most of the manga, I have no clue what the writers are talking about.  Was The Code some anime feature?

I'm halfway tempted to write a short story about Shampoo who is shamed because she performed a bit of cryptanalysis and "broke The Code", subsequently being banished to the NSA (No Such Amazon).  But it doesn't seem to be a common enough phenomenon in Ranma fics, so if it's not a feature of the anime, it's probably not widespread enough to meaningfully spoof.

-

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3780694/1/Synnecrosis

Only written to ch 2.  Ranma seems Ranma-ish enough.  I don't know much about Fate/Stay/Night, but I've been reading this so I think I have the basics down.

Brian

'The Code' is the fanon (il)logical conclusion of, "It's a martial artist's duty to protect the weak."

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

Quote from: Brian on July 30, 2013, 07:15:18 PM
'The Code' is the fanon (il)logical conclusion of, "It's a martial artist's duty to protect the weak."

That's codeword for bullshit
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

Enjoying a first read of Victory at Ostgar.  It's a bit of a head twist though seeing romantic play between the heroine and Loghain, given Loghain is supposed to be at least twice her age (having a daughter at least as old as she is).  It's played very well setting wise, but was a weird thing in the original as well.
Well, Goodbye.

Ebiris

Yeah, at least it's not so bad since Loghain doesn't have the chance to do most of the awful things he did in the original, but the relationship is handled well - the age difference isn't dismissed and their feelings shift just as their relationship does.

Dracos

Yeah, the author is definitely handling it well.  It's just a blink to see, as much as an Akane/Genma hookup would cause me to blink.  (What a terrible analogy.)
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Brian

I've seen it twice, and it was unpleasant both times.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9547582/1/Zero-s-Bullet

FoZ/Hellsing crossover. Rip van Winkle is saved from death at Alucard's hands by a glowing green portal and ends up the familiar of Louise. Hellsing ensues in Halkegenia. This is a darkfic, albeit one that's done well. Several characters are treated with skill and compassion, even those that don't deserve it. Well worth reading, especially as more is posted to fanfiction.net. This is a repost from spacebattles, so there should be more chapters up soon.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

That's rather more exciting than I think it really ought to be.

Jason_Miao

I've seen it once in a fic that I liked.  It was a Ranma/SM fic, and all of the Nerima relationship fallout was handled off screen.  I've never seen it in any fic that had it as its focus, likely because I stopped reading such fics before it had a chance to crop up.

Brian

~exploding tag~