News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Dracos on April 17, 2014, 12:52:46 PM

Huh.  Not a great fic, but a very readable one for an SI.

*finishes it in its entirety*
This post convinced me to read the fic through.  It is linked to by others fairly often, and I'd started it several times in the past, but always quit when the writer kept using the word "dieing."  But if several of you gave it a thumbs up, it couldn't be that bad.

Quote from: Ergoemos on April 17, 2014, 04:59:58 PM
Agreed. I have been convinced that a SI fic can be done and remain enjoyable.
At the end of the day, an SI is just a 1st person perspective character, so there isn't a reason why they can't be.  But the tendencies of a writer to write an ANC is double when the ANC is the writer.

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

My account apparently needs to be confirmed by an administrator. I've already done something wrong and I just got here.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Merc

Alas, poor turtle. Always slow to the party.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Ergoemos

Quote from: Jason_Miao on April 17, 2014, 09:16:28 PM
At the end of the day, an SI is just a 1st person perspective character, so there isn't a reason why they can't be.  But the tendencies of a writer to write an ANC is double when the ANC is the writer.

You got me stumped. ANC? The internet doesn't provide me easy answers either, or my google-fu is weak before 5AM.

Generally, my impression is that a self-insert fanfiction, especially a literal one, usually has some of the following  elements: 1) a Mary Sue resolving all the plot points in the canon, 2) the Self-insert blatantly hooking up with their favorite character, and/or 3) completely unbelievable success by the Insert where other characters struggle.

None of those really happened, so I was moderately surprised and pleased. It's not amazing, but the story was pleasant.

Quote from: Dracos on April 17, 2014, 05:54:29 PM
Well, a lot of that fic is using anime filler and direct to tv short films.  Canon, I suppose, in the same way most of the DBZ short films are.

Well, it has been more faithful than most of the previous sources I learned from. I have watch three episodes of the actual show, seven or eight of a fan-based-parody of a fan-based-parody of Naruto, and I have read Team 8 before this.

If your only source of information on DBZ came from the short movies, I imagine that you would be really disappointed at how long it takes to actually finish a fight.
Battle not with stupid, lest ye become stupid, and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you.
-R. K. Milholland

thepanda

ANC = annoying new character

Dracos

Quote from: Jason_Miao on April 17, 2014, 09:16:28 PM
Quote from: Dracos on April 17, 2014, 12:52:46 PM

Huh.  Not a great fic, but a very readable one for an SI.

*finishes it in its entirety*
This post convinced me to read the fic through.  It is linked to by others fairly often, and I'd started it several times in the past, but always quit when the writer kept using the word "dieing."  But if several of you gave it a thumbs up, it couldn't be that bad.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised by the occasional 'this did not go through a spellchecker' indications, given that overall it seems to be written at a reasonable tenth grade level of English proficiency.  Still, there are many fics I would not have read if I let technical alone drive me off.

Not everything can be Victory at Ostagar. :P
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Anastasia

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9384156/9/Why-Me

Why Me? updated.

Spoiler: ShowHide
This chapter was a lot better than the previous and I enjoyed it. The familiar actually winning the familiar contest? I don't think I've seen that before. It's one of those little canon things that sticks around. Also, outside forces throw a massive butterfly up with the Fouquet heist and made Alex think. Pretty good stuff and setup for next time.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6789454/1/For-Want-of-a-War

Someone linked this.  I think for the 3rd time or so to me.  I actually found it cute, though the chapter length felt inconsistent and short and it's pretty blatant Super Protagonist.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on May 01, 2014, 10:22:47 PM
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6789454/1/For-Want-of-a-War

Someone linked this.  I think for the 3rd time or so to me.  I actually found it cute, though the chapter length felt inconsistent and short and it's pretty blatant Super Protagonist.

Yeah, I've linked it before too. It's fun, moreso if you understand that super Ramza is a nod and a wink to how many Ramzas turn out. You have Ramza the entire game and have to use him, so he tends to be a well developed character.

To be honest, a solid Monk setup can do everything that's happened in the story. Monk Ramza's pretty good plus FFT isn't that hard a game.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

I actually don't have a problem with super-protag, played fun.  But felt it worth commenting on.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Reread "When In Doubt, Obliviate".  Still a very cute story by Sarah1281.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Has anyone else been reading anything lately? :)

Cricket, Cricket.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

I started reading this... https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7026800/1/Masters-of-Genjutsu

But it gave me a headache within a few gigantic text heavy paragraphs of nothing happening, tons of crappy honorifics, and other weird descriptive trip-ups.
Well, Goodbye.