News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepanda

I remember not being able to get into the Lovehammer stuff. I's say they were senshi in name only but the name changes were a big part of why I couldn't get into to it in the first place. >_>

Ebiris

Child of the Emperor is a pretty cool story I read a while back about a chaos space marine finding redemption.

alethiophile

So Amelia continues. Now hosted elsewhere, because of a moderation snafu on Spacebattles.

In other news, Mushoku Tensei. A light novel/web novel about a guy from modern Japan reincarnated into Fantasyverse. Pretty fun, and very long.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

A Worm fic. I'm not terribly familiar with it, but what little I've seen doesn't do much for me. Apparently it went over the acceptable content line for Spacebattles.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8993792/12/One-World

Read a chunk of this.  Giving up here.  It spends a lot of time willy-nilly tearing up the magical world, and then tearing things up some more before the last bit has even settled, and not an awful lot going anywhere with it.  There's a lot of vignettes involving other hogwart's students who the protagonists haven't ever met yet, but we're supposed to care about in context.  Basically, looked ahead and saw that around 23 chapters in, the cast actually gets to hogwarts for year 1.  This is pretty baffling given that they've already had several on screen magic training sessions.

Just too much establishment I suppose for the plot.  It makes it hard for any of it to hook in.
Well, Goodbye.

lolipettanko

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10225608/19/A-Demon-Among-Devils

Updated.

Although I do understand the need for brief breaks from tone from time to time, I didn't really enjoy this chapter as much as the last 18. The "comedy" was spread too thick and Minato's character was more or less butchered for its sake. I enjoy this fic, I really do, but that last chapter just did not sit well with me. :/ I certainly did...kind of enjoy the talking segments in the chapter because those parts are what made this thing good to me in the first place. A bit bummed considering I was expecting a bit more.

I think this stems from the author's setting up of a forum for the fic. He's become way too indulgent in taking reader requests, because I'm certain I saw some of those jokes there. Kinda disappointed, will keep reading.
"Those who show others the way must not avert their eyes from the weight of responsibility."

Dracos

Make sure to pass your thoughts back if so.   Looks like it's the second popular fic he's had, and the longest by far.

Glancing at it again, I'm curious where you think his character was slaughtered, aside from the ending chaos (which I'd agree with).

Most of the humor in the chapter is pulling more out of the DxD book I think.
Well, Goodbye.

lolipettanko

Except for the last part, which really rubbed me the wrong way, maybe "butchered" was too strong a word. I think I was mostly bothered by the sheer volume of events that we had to hear Minato's reactions to, I guess? A short witty quip in narration here and there is all good oncd in a while, but when they start popping up more frequently to the point where it gets worn and a bit uncomfortable.... There's only so much "this could not be happening" moments in his head I can stomach before it starts bothering me. Ehh, maybe I'm being too picky.

Although the comedy's taken a hit, I don't think it's DxD terrible yet. That's pretty much yapping about tits and misunderstandings, Kiba's masculinity etc. Issei's POV too...yeah. :^)

In other news, consumed all of what's available of this yesterday:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8550403/1/The-Howling-Wind

I think it's really good. Premise is Naruto has a chakra defect that prevents him from channeling regular chakra, only wind elemental chakra. That means no Kage Bunshin, etc. Flowing first person narration, almost completely different setting... Yeah I'm pretty interested in it. Sakura being intriguing's also playing a big factor in my enjoyment of it.
"Those who show others the way must not avert their eyes from the weight of responsibility."

Dracos

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9340220/6/Crosswinds-of-Fate

There was a new chapter, and so Kitago was discussing it.

This is kind of a fun story.  A post Fate crew (including the magic wand ruby) get ordered to investigate the Harry Potter dimension.  While overused, there's a fun rhythm the author likes cutting between scenes as different groups are discussing things, sometimes on the same wave-length, other times on opposite ones (Only an idiot would...).

Overall, it's been enjoyable, as much as it isn't very good at being serious.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Read through The Howling Wind.

It is pretty neat as far as AU goes.  The lack of actual 'hey we know' between him and Lee was a bit odd and what happened with Tenten.  There's a lot of subtext going on and generally the ninja feel like serious people.  Leaf comes across a little surprisingly weak, despite how the characters never do (Everyone seems willing to stomp on leaf).
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Dracos on January 22, 2015, 07:06:24 PM
Read through The Howling Wind.
I have as well.

I didn't get the impression of "weak" as much as "unstable king of the hill."  As in, the strongest, but not so much stronger as to be able to push others around.

thepanda

It is a pretty good time to attack them. Think about it. After the third war Leaf had been attacked by the nine-tailed beast, lost its super powerful leader, had its super team (the sages) fall apart, and lost an entire founding clan (and all the op bull the sharingan brought to the table) and they were still considered king of the hill.

Dracos

This is true.

What I meant by that is it is not even subtle with the killing all leaf genin that go to the chuunin exams, sending way more genin and sending them with general orders to murder the shit out of a specific group, and the leaf response being 'we can't afford to send genin', not 'we send genin with instructions that they will be tackled by groups of enemy nin and need to try to do team stay/together stuff to counter it'.

This AU doesn't have the Uchiha massacre (which is a good thing).  It does have a cute reference that rookie thirteen chuunin exam happened at some point, with a different cast, though it is hard to explain why Iwa seems in such ascendence after some of the events mentioned (Them being losing before the third war, losing the third war itself, etc etc).

Basically, everything talks as if there's an enormous population advantage by both Iwa and Kumo, even though the Uchiha are still there.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8162862/87/Bringer-of-Death

Bringer of Death updated. Okay chapter.

[spoiler]A little annoyed at Goku getting stuck in the afterlife, but at least he isn't there intentionally this time. It puts a different spin on things, especially if he's stuck there.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?