News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 31, 2017, 02:13:39 AM
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/of-blackguards-and-mercenaries-worm-alt-power-overwatch-crossover.506906/#post-32914784

Yuth linked me to this. I give it a 3/10 and spoiler box for why.

Spoiler: ShowHide

So this story runs with the premise that Taylor has a bunch of Overwatch heroes in her head to summon. Naturally shenanigans ensue. The story starts strong as she explores her powers and experiments with what she has. She starts to build herself up to resist the Trio, it's solidly written stuff that doesn't rush anything. Highly enjoyable, and until a certain scene, I was enjoying it a great deal.

The catch is that one scene signals the entire fic going downhill fast.

So the bathroom stall incident happens as canon and Taylor's had enough. She kicks open the door and catches Madison by surprise, then beats up Emma. I'm okay with that and this was telegraphed and build up to. She'd spend a week-ish training and had surprise, so I can see her pulling that off. I think she came off as too together for the amount of training she had, but whatever, no big deal.

Then Sophia comes and they fight. Without getting too spoilery, she holds her own against Sophia before spoilers happen and she runs. That strains my SoD a fair bit, since Sophia's a trained fighter who's seen a good deal of action, plus she's in better shape than Taylor. It's not absolutely impossible, but an out of shape girl beating three opponents (one trained) after a week's training strains my SoD.

Okay fine, whatever. Bludgeon-y but maybe the author couldn't think of a better way to get there. A bit later Taylor's ran away from home (long story) and is patrolling. The Undersiders/Lung thing happens and she goes to help. Cue fanon Armsmaster hard - tries to arrest her after helping (and killing Lung in self defense), tries to confiscate one of the heroes gear after she uses it to restore Lung to life and is altogether a massive tool that's the punchline of a joke for another hero to paralyze him and make sure a video of that goes all over PHO.

It's like it went form a decent fic to fanon bashing in the blink of an eye. I'm not sure what happened. There was also some stuff about a hero clowning Dragon and Saint in hacking and solving that mess on PHO, but I only skimmed since I'd lost interest in the fic.

Odd, since I felt the start until then was strong stuff. It felt like it got a sudden case of wanting to push Overwatch stuff as so cool at the expense of Worm. Go figure.
[/quote]
I was really disappointed, since the first few chapters really didn't suck. [spoiler]Then it turned into a bash fic as written by an anti-authority high-schooler. Very sad and confusing.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

A Dead World updated again, this time dealing with
Pacer's treachery in the Kings, the lurking deathclaw problem in Quarry Junction, and the growing foothold that the NCR is establishing.

Cain seems to be pretty gung-ho on achieving the independent ending. She's a charisma-based character, so she might be able to pull it off. Maybe. 
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Monster updated.

The Nine are having a very bad day, and Our Anti-Heroes have no idea they killed the Siberian by sort of accident. They keep waiting for her to show up, it's so great.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

And Dead World got a third update out last week?  Yuth, you are bringing delights :)
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ziz-worm-altpower-simurgh-taylor.512524/ another attempt.  I dunno, tastes a lot like trying a less-flippant Thoughts light as a feather.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on April 09, 2017, 08:31:08 PM
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/ziz-worm-altpower-simurgh-taylor.512524/ another attempt.  I dunno, tastes a lot like trying a less-flippant Thoughts light as a feather.

It does and it's pretty solid so far. I enjoyed it quite a bit, more's coming this week from what I see.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 09, 2017, 11:59:40 PM
Quote from: Dracos on April 09, 2017, 08:31:08 PM

It does and it's pretty solid so far. I enjoyed it quite a bit, more's coming this week from what I see.
We'll see. Feels like the author's going in a different direction.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on April 09, 2017, 08:30:43 PM
And Dead World got a third update out last week?  Yuth, you are bringing delights :)
Every time Laluzi updates, it makes my day. The next chapter should be awesome.

Anastasia

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/worm-more-than-meets-the-eye-worm-transformers.317017/page-698#post-33929713

More than Meets the Eye updated.

[spoiler]Meh chapter overall. The slower update rate has really killed this story's momentum, plus the entire bit with Rune felt forced. Terrifically and terribly so, with that new cape feeling off in a way I can't adequately describe.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

I kinda lost my way with More than Meets the Eye at some point.  It felt like they were working hard to get villainous robots in at some point and it just felt weird trying to drive toward it.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/a-cloudy-path-worm-supreme-commander.301286/ updated.  A slow move toward the war against the fallen.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.