News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

The Ranma Game!

Started by Carthrat, July 10, 2005, 12:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthrat

I'm actually kinda surprised, now that I think about it, that one hasn't been run yet. Oh well.

I've been dragooned into running a Ranma game! You feeble mortals shall assume the role of a butt-kicking, face-punching, all around badass teenage martial artist!

Or Nabiki.

I'm more inclined to hash out details once I have a list of players, but here are some COLD HARD FACTS.

1) I hate Tristat, and all of it's incarnations. This includes BESM. Don't even ask.

2) I'm looking for around 4-6 players to assume the role of a Ranma characters. I'd highly appreciate it if the characters can be considered 'regulars', too. I've decided to actually allow 'Ranma Saotome' as a character (though I was sorely tempted not to).

3) I could be persuaded to let a character from some other series in. Maybe.

4) The game will start.. at the start, when Ranma shows up at the Tendo's. Things will naturally diverge from there on in. I'd like you, when picking your characters, to come up with a couple of deviations from the canon character; we're not rehashing the series, here.

Post if you're interested, chat with me for more details. I mean, what do I need to give? It's, like, Ranma, dudes!
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Kaji Onizuka

I'm up for joining in, just tell me when and where
FO,
Great Fighter Onizuka

RyderHakubi

Drac's gonna hate me for sayin' I'm in...

Oh, and irony: the Ranma Soulriders banner saying there's no Ranma RPG is the one I'm looking at while posting for a Ranma RPG.
What sort of madness will I create today?"

Merc

I'm in. And why's Drac gonna hate you, Ryder? ^_^
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Sunhawk

I'm in.  And dibs on being Happosai ^_^

EDIT: Since someone's a spoilsport (sticks out tongue), I'll take Doc Tofu.

Bean Bandit

Tentatively in. I'd like to know quite a bit more before I say for certain.

IRC? Perhaps a dumb question, but I dunno. What system? (When you decide) What schedule?

Oh, and dibs on Nabiki. *Flees before being pelted with stuff*
---
I love the games I've played here.

Carthrat

IRC, most likely. Schedule? The beauty of this sort of game is that I generally won't need *every character present*, so I'll likely try and emulate what works, and copy Dune; frequent sessions that only require a couple of people, while occasionally holding larger sessions on weekends.

As of system? I really havn't decided. I've managed to create several arguments in my head for many systems, and they're still playing themselves out. :D

Sunhawk

Do you think you could handle a freeform game?  Those are usually a lot more fun, if everyone has the maturity to handle 'em.

Brian

Quote from: "Carthrat"3) I could be persuaded to let a character from some other series in. Maybe.

Trap set, I spring:

Mitsurugi Ryouko, a kendoka from Real Bout high-school (I would ask for Ukyou, but I haven't even read past this post to see if she's been taken; I'm sure she is :p).  The premise is that somewhat different from her own backstory: during the K-fight between Saotome Iwao (one of her teachers), and Kusanagi Ryo (her main rival), after Saotome goes down, she challenges Ryo to an immediate match, instead of deciding to challenge him later.  Principal Toda allows the challenge to bypass standard scheduling, because Ryo is eager to accept.

Ryo is somewhat wounded from fighting Iwao, and once the bout begins, he realizes that he's going to have to gamble on survival; this means a sacrifice blow that ends up knocking Ryoko clear out of the ring.  While Ryoko's counter-blow did actually K.O. Ryo, he remained standing (he's a Ryouga-like).  Ryouko was stunned, but not knocked out.  By the time she gets back to the ring, Ryo's recovered (a little), and says that she's been defeated already, then turns his back on her, realizing that he needs to buy some time to regain his strength.

Ryouko hesitates to attack, not wanting to strike him from behind, especially with the entire school watching, and after a minute of her just standing there, Emcee Fujishima Natsume asks the crowd if Ryo's right, and Ryouko's lost.  The crowd is arguing about it when Toda realizes how dangerous a fight could be for Ryo or Ryouko right then, and announces that it's over.  The crowd assumes that this means Toda declares that Ryo is the winner .  Toda wants to schedule a rematch, but can't explain that until after Ryouko's draged Iwao to nurse Shizuma.  Iwao is revived, and without Toda to talk him down, begins furiously plotting his revenge, offering to try and work with Ryouko to take Ryo down.

Ryouko isn't keen on doing anything underhanded like double-teaming Ryo.  And after Shizuma calms Iwao down, she runs off to find Toda.  Iwao suggests something different, this time.  His brother-in-law, Saotome Genma is a traveling martial-arts sensei, and he's sent Iwao a postcard recently saying (GM's discretion) A: He's going to soon be arriving at the Tendo Dojo, or B: He's already there, and is just saying hello to Iwao.  Saotome then explains that Genma is an incredibly revered and powerful teacher, and has a son who just traveled to China to win some relatively difficult martial arts tournament.  Ryouko's confidence is shaken, because Ryo did land a power blow on her, and she still thinks she was declared the loser of the fight.  So when Iwao offers to let her attend school via correspondence, to train under this Genma (Iwao assumes that Genma teaches; Genma's postcard was ... brief), Ryouko accepts.

In terms of power-levels, I would suggest something along the lines of Shampoo or Kodachi, but would generally expect her to be slightly superior to Kuno, given that she does have _some_ actual unarmed combat skills (and would also going to be training under Genma (this should be fun. :D)).

She's 175 cm tall, sixteen years old, and that's all I can remember off the top of my head.  Here's some images of her from the anime http://www.animegalleries.net/album/265/img/126 and the manga version (with ridiculously overpowered 'suggested' character stats in HERO): http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsanime/ryokomitsurugi.html

Yarr.

Quote from: "Carthrat"Post if you're interested, chat with me for more details. I mean, what do I need to give? It's, like, Ranma, dudes!
Assuming your last post isn't saying 'it's closed' ... and it isn't!  Yay!
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Carthrat

Ok, that's that! 6 players in two days. Yeah. I knew this was popular.

Hang around in #soulriders if you need to catch me, though the actual OOC room will likely be #rollingroom (my private room! Whee!) I'd like to discuss the game with all participants so we can round out characters, scheduling, and system. (I'm somewhat leery of freeform here; this game seems prone to PC vs PC battles, which could use adjudication. We'll see.)

AIM = Carthrat (shouldn't it say that somewhere?) so do try and find me. :D

Jeram

If this is still happening...

I WANT IN!

It'd be nice to use my ridiculous knowledge of the series.

-J
t takes a mighty pen to write fanfiction.

-Jeram

Carthrat

>_>

Eh, entry kinda closed at 6 players. Sorry. :/

Brian

You have no AIM set up.  Also, Rat tells me that I will be playing Ukyou (my plan has succeeded).
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Jeram

Dang it!

You are all insensitive meanies!

::Sobs incoherently::

Wait... what's this about instant messenger?

-J
t takes a mighty pen to write fanfiction.

-Jeram

Carthrat

Bean dropped out, so you're able to play, Jeram. Try to catch me on AIM or IRC within the next few days.