News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Question for players regarding Kagome

Started by Merc, July 22, 2005, 06:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

No one picked Kagome, so I was considering retconning her and doing an AU story, but this apparently makes Ra-chan cry.

So, the question...do the other players prefer having Kagome around as well? Options I've got so far:

1) I keep and NPC Kagome. I'd start off immediately after Kikyo is reborn as a golem and Kagome regains most of her soul. (Alternatively, Ra-chan can play Kagome and I NPC Inuyasha instead.)

2) Retcon Kagome from the story completely. In this situation, Kikyo:
a) survives the attack by Naraku, but injured heavily. Takes the Shikon no Tama with her and seals herself in a healing trance which isolates her and the jewel. Wakes up 50 years later, and game starts.
b) dies and rather than being cremated, is buried. She gets the shard inbedded in her, and wakes up a zombie, ala Kohaku and the shichinin-tai. Game starts 50 years later as well.
c) survives and is not injured too badly. Heals on her own and the game starts here instead. Edward would instead have to play Miroku's grandfather (who's supposed to be a similar sort of perverted houshi anyhow and was the first to get a kazaana).

Thoughts:

Both options are doable for me, really, but I prefer the second. While I like Kagome more than Kikyo, I also recognize that Kikyo functions similarly if both characters are on a team together, and I would prefer not to have Kikyo split off on her own like in canon. I worry a bit that I might downplay Kagome severely as an NPC.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Liddo-kun

The way I see the dual existence of Kagome and Kikyo is that it's simply an instrument to amp up the drama and cause Inuyasha grief.  Sure it has some good usage, but I find myself expecting Inuyasha to don a Kuno garb and make proclamations about needing to have them both.

<_<

>_>

My two cents is that having to go with an AU might be fun.  The players won't really know what's coming and how the characters fit into the new story and what schemes await.  The nifty "surprise" factor is appealing.

To comment on your ideas in order:

1) I keep and NPC Kagome. I'd start off immediately after Kikyo is reborn as a golem and Kagome regains most of her soul. (Alternatively, Ra-chan can play Kagome and I NPC Inuyasha instead.)

It's going to be difficult with a key player in an NPC position.  Better the focus just be shifted to Kikyo who is being played by an actual PC who other players can interact with.

2) Retcon Kagome from the story completely. In this situation, Kikyo:

I like this option better.  For the subpoints though....

a) survives the attack by Naraku, but injured heavily. Takes the Shikon no Tama with her and seals herself in a healing trance which isolates her and the jewel. Wakes up 50 years later, and game starts.

Rip Van Miko seems odd, but it could work.  Where in the original storyline, you had a situation where Kikyo forcibly puts Inuyasha to sleep, you could have a situation where Kikyo is put to sleep by Naraku and his recently acquired dark powers.

Inuyasha then meeting Miroku or his father, depending on timeline, for some way to waken her could introduce those two characters, and so forth.  Perhaps Inuyasha made some time of bargain in order to break the curse on Kikyo and the adventure is about how he has to fix his situation.

*shrug*

Up to you.

b) dies and rather than being cremated, is buried. She gets the shard inbedded in her, and wakes up a zombie, ala Kohaku and the shichinin-tai. Game starts 50 years later as well.

Kikyo getting a 'shard' embedded on her makes it sound as if the shikon no tama shattered and scattered when she was grievously injured by Naraku's attack.  She would then wonder why she hasn't died then figures out that ths shard is keeping her alive even though she's technically 'dead'.

Though then what would the objective be, I wonder.  To keep her alive because the shard she has in her can only do so much for her?  Could be fun.

c) survives and is not injured too badly. Heals on her own and the game starts here instead. Edward would instead have to play Miroku's grandfather (who's supposed to be a similar sort of perverted houshi anyhow and was the first to get a kazaana).

Aside from the change Ed would have to go through, I'd wonder where the story is going to go with that setup.  Interesting....

Anywho, that's all I've got on the subject at the moment.
Liddo-kun: Bjorn is the rain gutter in which all the dirty thoughts of humanity flow into?
Bjorn: I prefer, instead, to think of myself as the crap that blocks the rain gutters, causing the dirty thoughts of humanity to back up, fill the streets, and flood your basements.

Sunhawk

The last option I definitely don't like, as Shippou wouldn't be born yet ^^

I kinda prefer having Kagome around, though.

Edward

Quote from: "MercForHire"Options I've got so far:

It would be difficult to have that central of a character be an NPC and doubly so if Kagome is also a PC.

Quote from: "MercForHire"2) Retcon Kagome from the story completely.

While I like Kagome, this is probably the better choice.

Quote from: "MercForHire"In this situation, Kikyo:

This works for me.

Quote from: "MercForHire"b) dies and rather than being cremated, is buried. She gets the shard inbedded in her, and wakes up a zombie, ala Kohaku and the shichinin-tai. Game starts 50 years later as well.

I don't like this as well.  And, of course, there needs to be a reason for the shard being shattered early.

Quote from: "MercForHire"c) survives and is not injured too badly. Heals on her own and the game starts here instead. Edward would instead have to play Miroku's grandfather (who's supposed to be a similar sort of perverted houshi anyhow and was the first to get a kazaana).

Miroku's grandfather?   But how am I supposed to fondle Sango's butt, I mean win her heart?  ;)

This could work, if we can figure a way to bring Shippo in.
If you see Vampire Hikaru Shidou, it is Fox.  No one else does that.  You need no other evidence." - Dracos

"Huh? Which rant?" - Gary

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Servitor of the Outer Gods with your ineffective Thompson Submachine Gun." - grimjack

Bean Bandit

I'm not so certain about the 50 years earlier bit. Everything changes tenor. I can work with it, I suppose. Ayame isn't central enough to be tied fully to the Era, and can be re-written earlier. Whatever the others decide is fine with me, I guess.

As for the others, well, I can work pretty well with any of them. Even an NPC Inuyasha.

So, Uh...I guess What I'm trying to say is, as far as I'm concerned, it's all good. >_>
---
I love the games I've played here.

Edward

I take it Ayame is an anime-only character.
If you see Vampire Hikaru Shidou, it is Fox.  No one else does that.  You need no other evidence." - Dracos

"Huh? Which rant?" - Gary

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Servitor of the Outer Gods with your ineffective Thompson Submachine Gun." - grimjack

Merc

Yes. Ayame is the fiancee of Kouga.

*waits for Rin and Ra-chan to toss in their thoughts*
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

yukatado

Quote from: "MercForHire"No one picked Kagome, so I was considering retconning her and doing an AU story, but this apparently makes Ra-chan cry.

So, the question...do the other players prefer having Kagome around as well? Options I've got so far:

Hmm . . . I thought someone asked for it . . . oh well . . .

Quote from: "MercForHire"1) I keep and NPC Kagome. I'd start off immediately after Kikyo is reborn as a golem and Kagome regains most of her soul. (Alternatively, Ra-chan can play Kagome and I NPC Inuyasha instead.)

You COULD NPC her, but I have a feeling you'd probably dislike running the game and a major character after a bit, I don't know.

Quote from: "MercForHire"2) Retcon Kagome from the story completely. In this situation, Kikyo:

I like this best. It allows for a not-dead Kikyo, and sufficiently AU Universe, without the tama being broken before it should have been broken.

Quote from: "MercForHire"b) dies and rather than being cremated, is buried. She gets the shard inbedded in her, and wakes up a zombie, ala Kohaku and the shichinin-tai. Game starts 50 years later as well.
Quote from: "MercForHire"c) survives and is not injured too badly. Heals on her own and the game starts here instead. Edward would instead have to play Miroku's grandfather (who's supposed to be a similar sort of perverted houshi anyhow and was the first to get a kazaana).

Quote from: "MercForHire"Thoughts:

Both options are doable for me, really, but I prefer the second. While I like Kagome more than Kikyo, I also recognize that Kikyo functions similarly if both characters are on a team together, and I would prefer not to have Kikyo split off on her own like in canon. I worry a bit that I might downplay Kagome severely as an NPC.