News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Suggestion: RSS Feed

Started by Jon, January 16, 2005, 10:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

A simple google search on phpbb rss turns up useful pages on how to add RSS support to PHPbb. I think I am not the only one who would find such a feature useful, especially if you could selectively subscribe to individual boards.

metroid composite

There is also the post announcement bot which Hal made.  On the flip side, for people who already use RSS it'd probably be more convenient just to have one format.

Eh, couldn't hurt.
ats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. Based on these axioms, a cat with peanut butter toast strapped to its back will therefore hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Jon

Quote from: "metroid composite"There is also the post announcement bot which Hal made.

The post announcement bot does not notify me of posts that were made while I'm not on IRC; I can turn on my computer in the morning, fire up my newsreader, and it'll catch up on the night before. Also, if I'm ignoring #sr because there's, for example, a complicated ongoing debate about Utakata or something that I care nothing about, I'll also miss the Postbot announcements. RSS is made for this thing. I'm not saying Postbot isn't useful, but I don't think it's enough, either.

Edit:
It also seems to be turned off; when I first made this post, it wasn't announced in channel.

Halbarad

The post bot doesn't announce every post in every channel it's in, or it'd be complete chaos. It announces a specific forum's posts to a specific channel or channels, and this particular forum doesn't announce posts anywhere.

The main problem I have with setting up an RSS feed for the board is that it's a fairly large amount of work (most board mods have to be done manually at this point) for maybe one or two users. If we had a ton of people using RSS feeds and newsreaders I'd be more willing to look into this, but I'm disinclined to go to the effort for a small minority of users.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Jon

Put it to a vote to see the interest, maybe?

Dracos

A quick SR poll showed few folks knew who it was.

I wouldn't be adverse to it, but the work done for the handful that would use it is unnecessary.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Rezantis

. . . am I the only person who uses the 'view posts since last visit' button?
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Dracos

Yes.  Though you should've heard the noise when it vanished during the upgrades for a moment.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Jon

Quote from: "Rezantis". . . am I the only person who uses the 'view posts since last visit' button?

No, I use it as well. But frequently I forget to check it. The advantage of a RSS feed is that the computer remembers to check it for you.

metroid composite

Quote from: "Rezantis". . . am I the only person who uses the 'view posts since last visit' button?
There's a 'view posts since last visit' button?

Cool.
ats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. Based on these axioms, a cat with peanut butter toast strapped to its back will therefore hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Brian

Oh, this is late, but it's selfish, so I figure it's okay. ;)

I would like to second the RSS feed notion; now that google's been updated to accept RSS feeds as options to add to the frontpage, it would come in quite handy. ;)
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Mmm, it'd bear a re-examination, yes.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

kpjam

I'd find it useful, for what that's worth.

But I wouldn't be hurt or annoyed if it weren't implemented(I'm not programming it)
he secret of tomb has been revealed, do nothing!