News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Meta-gaming and you.

Started by Bjorn, July 10, 2005, 01:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjorn

Meta-gaming can mean one of two things.  The first, and probably most common meaning, is when a player uses OOC knowledge to inform IC decisions.  

This is bad, and makes Superbaby cry.

Another meaning is when players start dictating the actions and reactions of the world around their characters, rather than just their characters.  Normally, this is also a bad thing, but in this game, not so much so.  

Because I'm pompous, I really want this game to be more of an excercise in collaborative story-telling than your average RPG.  If you have a cool stunt, or hilarious joke, or an important piece of character development that hinges on an NPC reacting in a particular way, go ahead and act out the NPCs actions.  If I have problems with what you did, I'll let you know, and we'll talk it out, but my feelings won't be hurt.

However, and perhaps this doesn't need to be said, never ever metagame another PC.

If this game does keep going, then in the same vein, feel free to request particular arcs and storylines that you'd really like to do.