Session 3-5! See deal! See gossip! Go gossip, go!

Started by Anastasia, December 29, 2005, 12:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

<Saul> <Elaine> "Aether Spirits?" Elaine asks, not recognizing the term.
<Saul> > "Tiny living concentrations of magical energy - they can swarm around certain types of magic. Of no note in the singular, deadly and bothersom ein the plural. They have a bad habit of losing control of their energy when they attack a being taking the item the flock around - it is quite painful, or so I am told."
<Saul> > Turning back, "Spirits of magic, if you prefer."
* SirGavin turns to Saul, seeing if he has anything to add to this, with it being his area.
* Misukibot (~dunefar@ip24-253-133-211.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined #dunes
* ChanServ sets mode: +oq Misukibot Misukibot
* Saul certainly has his 'thinking face' on.
<Saul> roll 1d20
<Misukibot> Saul rolled 1d20 --> [ 1d20=6 ]{6}
<Saul> OOC: Mighty passing ho.
<Saul> "Mmm. Aether spirits, are they? They tend to explode," chimes in Saul. "Next to mindless, certainly. How did you plan to deal with them?"
<SirGavin> "What causes them to explode?  Is there a way we could safely trigger that from a distance?"
> "It is a simple task to encourage them to move on slowly, like contrary pack animals." OBserving Saul and seeming note him more than the others, "An excessive discharge of magical energy would be unfavorable. Moreso if random miscreants come poking in these ruins to be caught in the conflagration."
<Saul> "It would be a bad idea to detonate them," replies Saul. "They gather around potent magical items and places, you know, and could easily destroy whatever has drawn them. But.. to siphon them off that way? Wouldn't you need to provide a more potent source of magic? Or at least one that appears more potent?"
> "I have means in place to encourage them to abandon what they swarm, but it is time intensive." So allowing, Demetrius carries on with the magical lecture. "A single or twin Aether Spirit is nothing worse than an overly bothersome firefly in the night."
<Saul> "But like flies, they gather, and a swarm is quite the nuisance. Hmm. You mentioned employment. I assume it is related? Coin and magic interest me- er, us, as well, but I'm sure we could combine the three into a mutually beneficial package."
> "Yes, there is a minor matter I chanced on in my recent travels. A matter likely unrelated, but I lack the time to verify this." Demetrius continues on, "Should my suspcion be correct, it could be more rewarding for you to engage in."
<SirGavin> "Elaborate?" Gavin asked.
> "I shall if you accept - I mean this place no undue harm. I will give you this task, and in return you shall leave, assure this village that nothing is amiss, and I shall leave as soon as I have finished this matter."
> Taking a moment to slide his hand down his well polished staff, leaning on it, "I do believe it is a matter of magical items and elven history - one that seems to suit your caravan, does it not?"
* Seryf raises her eyebrows, some more interest showing in the dealings. "What of our history?" seh asks, calmly enough.
* Saul snorts, slightly, but doesn't speak.
* Darius toys with the hilts of his blades, an annoying grin spread over his face.
> "Affairs of the past and promises of use in the future," Glibly is the reply, "I will tell you of it on concluding our agreement, if your group is willing to agree."
<SirGavin> "I am willing, with the provision that nothing unlawful be about to be revealed."
<Saul> "Information isn't usually unlawful. I'm more worried about its merit," drawls Saul. "I'd rather have something more.. physical. But I suppose it is up to you."
> "As you wish. My words are sufficient. If I were so inclined to deal with you by underhanded means or force, it would have been done." Observing so, "I need not this distraction from my labor."
<SirGavin> "Well then, let us be quick in this measure.  Speak plainly of what you have found?"
> "As you wish. A three day travel into the deepest forest to the northeast will lead you to a sight long forgotten by all but historians and mages. You will find a great stone from the sky there, it's impact crater now a vast lake with only the tip of the meteorite visible. When you find this small lake, head northwest into the deepest forest there. There - an ancient elven village rests along with it's lore, forgotten by time and by humanity." PAusing at that point, Demetrius coolly observes the group, looking on at them.
> *axe vast. What the fuck?
>  forgotten by time and by humanity." PAusing at that point, Demetrius coolly observes the group, looking on at them.
* SirGavin glances at his compainions.
* Saul looks a little skeptical, but isn't venturing an opinion.
* Darius raises an eyebrow and shrugs at Gavin.
<Elaine> "Oooooh..." Elaine says, sounding impressed by the fancy sounding explanation. "A quest!" she says excitedly.
* Seryf taps her sword hilts in mild annoyance. "It's lore...? But what would a simple village of long past have that the current forest holds do not?" she asks pointedly."This holds no more weight currently than a simdple dismissal."
> "In this lost place there is a legend passed down. An easy one for certain, my daylong stay had it told to me twice by their silver tongued bards. There is a great tree in the center of town, older than the oldest elf. Hollow inside, the treasures of an local hero are stored - a blade and a glove. They are free for the taking, if your blood have elven roots and you are willing to challenge the ordeal inside."
<SirGavin> "Well...it might be worthwhile, if only to re-establish the town on the map?" Gavin pondered openly.
* Saul rolls his eyes. "If they've stayed hidden for this long, don't you think that they probably like it that way? More to the point- how will we find it? Do you have a map?"
> "I can provide a guiding map if you so desire, if directions are not enough." The slightest undercurrent of amusement there, but his voice does not stop it's tale. "I will not repeat the bardic songs directly, but a blade that can slice through the hardest mineral and a glove that can stop the strongest force - Corela's Hope and Corela's Hand."
<Saul> roll 1d20+4
<Misukibot> Saul rolled 1d20+4 --> [ 1d20=13 ]{17}
<Saul> OOC: haha exact pass
* Seryf frowns, tapping her swordhilts a touch faster. "The name is familiar...from somewhere..." Seryf pauses, trying to recall the name.
<Seryf> roll 1d20+4
<Misukibot> Seryf rolled 1d20+4 --> [ 1d20=3 ]{7}
* Darius scrunches up his face and concentrates..
<Darius> roll 1d20+4
<Misukibot> Darius rolled 1d20+4 --> [ 1d20=18 ]{22}
> WAtching on at the group, "Yes, I suppose it may. I am not well versed in the tales of the elves, though perhaps you are better than I."
<Seryf> "Corela the Oakhearted," Seryf notes, one finger snapping in recognition. "She stood guard over an isolated elven town and the holy ground it contained with items from her mate...and died sealing away trolls that attacked."
<SirGavin> "Well...worth investigating." Gavin shrugged at the intricacies of elven lore.
<Darius> "Sounds like a worthy life and death.. I'd be willing to go just to feel the spirit of the woods."
<Saul> "I suppose it may be worthwhile," says Saul, slowly. "I would prefer, though.. that we leave tomorrow, so I can be certain your wounds are properly tended. After all," he adds, glancing at the mage. "There is apparently no rush."
<SirGavin> "Regardless, we head back to town tonight to inform them of what is going on here.  We will ask them to leave you be, mage."
> "As you wish. Here." Pausing and reaching into one of his pouches, "Come, elven child." A silvery vial is withdrawn, bubbling silver, almost molten like. "Where there are trolls of the past, there may be trolls of the future. Acid is a boon from the gods when dealing with such uncouth monsters."
<Elaine> roll d100
<Misukibot> Elaine rolled d100 --> [ 1d100=82 ]{82}
<Elaine> roll d20
<Misukibot> Elaine rolled d20 --> [ 1d20=1 ]{1}
<Saul> "As is fire," notes Saul. "I wouldn't suppose you know any such spells?"
* Seryf smiles a little. "There are four children of elves, to which do you speak, Demetrius?" she asks, somewhat amused.
> "You will suffice, maiden." So observing, "This is a gesture of my goodwill. You may need it." So offering, "Perhaps so. If you succeed, perhaps I can spare a few scrolls as well as other matters."
<Darius> "Don't forget the bastard-children."
* SirGavin eyes Darius odded.
<Saul> "Or those raised by anachorisms."
<Darius> "Hey, I'm not stuck up enough to be a pure blood."
* Darius smirks at Seryf.
* Saul nods to the mage. "I would appreciate that, certainly."
<Seryf> "You're still our children," Seryf quips for all of elvendom at Darius and Saul, stepping forward to accept the vial. "You also don't have the brain to be a pure blood, Darius."
<Elaine> "Oooh, I just remembered something about Corela the Oak Hearted!" Elaine exclaimes as a memory hits her a little while after Seryf mentioned the name and a bit of the story. "Her lover's name was Halisays, he was the one who gave her the two magic items."
> Close to Demetrius, said mage whispers, "Perhaps they will even hope to finally find an heir there, another brave elven woman to carry on traditions."
<Darius> "Ah, brains are over-rated. I'd like to see a brain dig out a living on the frontier by its self. Don't forget, the places cities were built on were claimed by the weak of mind, but strong of arm."
<Seryf> "If it involves children, they're out of luck," Seryf muses in just as soft a voice.
<Saul> "No they weren't," replies Saul, taking an interest. "It was the mages and the gods. You think a bunch of ragtag warriors could actually take on the dragons and like without magical aid?"
> "Perhaps, or other matters," Demetrius observes with a quiet, tight smile. "Now, beyond a single crawling...pet of my own and this last bear, this keep is abandoned. Find a place to rest and proceed on. If you come across a moving hand, it is only a skittish old sentimental pet."
<Saul> "Oh. Um. We saw a hand like that! It was all mangled," says Saul, brightly. "I guess one of the bears got to it."
* Darius goes silent and glaces at the mage out of the corner of his eye and sweats a bit....
* SirGavin eyes Saul and shakes his head. "Anyhow, let's take our leave."
* SirGavin turns and leads out~
* Seryf says nothing as she goes back to her group, just shaking her head.
> Demetrius pauses, face clouding a moment in displeasure. "I see. Now leave and go forth as you wish."
* Saul starts to leave, but glances at the mage for a moment before he goes for good.
* Darius leaves out last, watching the mage the entire time.
> Off the group goes! Leaving the fortress behind, the late afternoon air and sunshine is a balm on your tired and weary flesh. While the wounds of Gavin and Seryf ache dully as they go, at least the others are only tired. It's nearly dinner time when they see the bustling, living town in their gaze, returning at last. Whew.
<Saul> "Have fun talking to the knights. I'm heading back to the tavern, though. I need to eat and rest if I'm to be prepared tomorrow."
* SirGavin heads to talk with the knights before resting.
<Darius> "I'll head there with you, Gavin."
<Elaine> "I wouldn't mind some food as well, I'm starving," Elaine concurs. She also wants to talk to Saul about the chance of learning a magic spell or two, possibly. Would be neat to be able to do that.
> Thus Gavin goes back to the knightly hall, accompanied by Darius and his tiger, the latter getting aw ide berth and quietly following.  Thus the pair goes, the doors open and the guard still there. "Hail," he annouces on seeing you. "How was your trip out...hm?" He observes Gavin, looking on. "Your face is pale, are you hurt, friend knight?"
<SirGavin> "A little..but I shall rest for a bit soon.  It is nothing serious." Gavin responded a bit tiredly.  "We have scouted out the castle and cleared out most of it.  It appears a single mage was working there and set up a few guardians so he wouldn't be disturbed.  He seems, beyond that not to wish the town any trouble and intends to leave shortly."
> A nod, "My captain is away, but I shall pass this report on.:
<Saul> "So. Planning on taking up that legacy, Seryf?" asks Saul over dinner. "'Fight some trolls and die.' Sounds swell."
* Darius wanders away from the Knight's Hall and back towards the tavern...
<Elaine> "She's missing a lover though!" Elaine pipes up after swallowing the food in her mouth. "It's not the same without a lover to give her magical gifts!" she exclaims before taking another bite out of the food in front of her.
* Darius looks at Serith for a few moments and then heads into the tavern.
<Seryf> "You're assuming that's what was meant," Seryf answers Saul, eyeing Elaine a long moment. "If it involves settling down, certainly not," she answers, shrugging, and trying to push down the slgihtly rosy tint in her cheeks Elaine's comment brought up.
* Darius walks over to the others and sits down.
<Darius> "Hey, got enough for me? Or do I have to order more?"
<Saul> "We ordered for you," says Saul. "Anyway, this ordeal thing should cover that."
<Saul> "Unless it's a unique kind of ordeal."
* Darius grabs some food and starts eating.
<Darius> "Cover what?"
* Elaine shrugs back at Seryf, grinning a bit as she catches the slight tint to the older (much, MUCH older) girl's cheeks. Turning to Saul, she asks her former teacher, "Oh, Saul, what are the chances you think of me learning some magic? I don't know how useful it'd be for me, but you know, take every advantage you can get, right?"
<Saul> "Learn magic? It's a long an arduous and painstaking path. You'll need to apprentice to me for years, and then force your brain into the right mindset, piece by horrible piece. Secrets of the cosmos will twist your intellect into a husk, and it's possible the flames of the very gods will sear you until nothing is left but the pearl diamond of cold, magical reason," replies Saul.
<Saul> "Alternately, you could read my spellbook and see if it makes any sense. I only learnt last year, really," he adds. "Quite by accident- some people just pick up a scroll and away they go. Of course, to actually get anywhere, you do need to study..."
* Darius pokes Elaine.
<Darius> "Magic? Why'd you want to learn magic? Use it with your stories to make pictures in the air?"
<Saul> roll 1d8+2
<Misukibot> Saul rolled 1d8+2 --> [ 1d8=7 ]{9}
<Elaine> "I think I'll go with the second option. I'd be surprised if I lived long enough to get something out of it with the first method," Elaine says sheepishly. Turning to Darius she says, "Well, yeah, why not? Plus if we ever get captured or something and my armor and weapons get taken from me, I won't be defenseless, right?"
<Saul> "Actually, you probably will be," notes Saul. "If they have any brains, they'll take your components and spellbook, too."
<Elaine> "Oh," Elaine deflates a bit. "Well, I'd still want to learn, I think. I mean, I bought a book to use as a spellbook already, anyhow."
<Darius> "That could be an interesting legacy to leave behind, Elaine.. Find out a way to put the magic into your story tomes so that when someone of your bloodline reads from them, the magic brings the pictures."
<Saul> "Mmhmm," says Saul. "I left the spellbook of that other mage in my room- try reading it. I'll help you if you need it, but.. well, if you're going to be able to cast without training, my help won't mean much right now."
* SirGavin is now known as Dracos
* Dracos is now known as SirGavin
* Elaine nods. "Okay, I'll look at it...after dinner anyway. No sense in learning until my stomach's full," Elaine replies cheerfully.
<Saul> "Mmm. Food is.. less of a concern," says Saul, quietly. "Knowing magic causes a kind of.. hunger in some. To know more."
* Darius continues to eat happily.
<Elaine> "Well, who doesn't like learning new stuff? It's why I'm thinking of learning magic in the first place, right?" Elaine comments as she stabs her fork into her food.
<Saul> "I can think of at least one person," says Saul, playfully.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?