News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Adventure 8.1: Gavin versus Paxburg

Started by Dracos, March 24, 2006, 08:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

[01:44] <@Anastasia> The Mage's guild seems to slightly repel sunlight. It's an idle observation of the building, it's well kept gates opening automatically. FEll magery in a simple form, Anitoch looking about the grounds. "I have never been here...hm. Is all of this place as so?"
[01:45] <@Saul> "I've only been a few times, but I'd say that you should be prepared for anything whilst inside," notes Saul, cheerfully walking towards the entrance.
[01:51] * @SirGavin frowns a bit at that but heads on in with Saul, looking for a receptionist or some fellow that looks like they're responsible for dealing with folks heading in.
[01:52] <@Anastasia> Indeed there is. The front room is to the point - a simple desk with a long faced, pale man. His hair is long and black, writing at a tome at the large desk. There's a lot of space for things behind it, too. "Aaah. A visitor...and knights? How unusual here. Are you thinking of putting aside your brutish arms and metal for refined magic?"
[01:54] * @Saul frowns a little. "Thanks to these knights, we have recovered something that may be of value to this guild," he says, striding forward. "My name is Saul- I repaid my dues just yesterday, and have a few accounts to settle, here."
[02:00] <@Anastasia> "We are here on business, thank you," Anitoch replies with oblique cortesy, nodding to the clerk.
[02:08] <@Anastasia> "Aaaah." Flipping in his book with practiced ease and running a finger down the page, "Yes, I see. Cleric of Waukeen as well,a s well as one that owes a debt."
[02:10] * ChanServ sets mode: +o SirGavin
[02:10] <@Saul> "And here it is," replies Saul, dropping a bag of coins on the table. "Count it later, please, for I have something else." He places the box with the mage-guild insignia on the counter. "Would you happen to know who this belongs to?"
[02:11] <@Anastasia> Putting the pouch aside and peering at the box, "Where did you get this?" His interest rises, looking at the knights before calming a moment. "...ah. I see. This has been recovered by some means?"
[02:11] <@SirGavin> "That is correct, sir." Gavin answered.
[02:13] <@Anastasia> "Yes. Recent events have lead to a just demise for a band of thieves, and this was in the recovered plunder." Anitoch nods in time, still perfectly polite.
[02:15] <@Anastasia> "Very well of you. There has been a reward posted for these - shall I instruct the payment to be made to the knights?" HE starts to scribble further in his book, quick and deft.
[02:16] <@SirGavin> "Ah recently stolen materials." He waited a moment, letting his commander answer on that for ease.
[02:16] <@Saul> Saul glances briefly at Anitoch and Gavin, at that.
[02:18] <@Saul> "Half to both me and the knights," he says, shrugging. "There was a cooperative effort."
[02:19] <@Anastasia> "That is correct." Anitoch answers after a beat, a slight nod forward.
[02:20] <@Anastasia> "Mmm. That is a difficulty. The reward is not in monetary units. Instead..." Flipping through his large tome to antoher page, "It is in the sum of minor magical potions, I believe. If the identifications are correct...two potions of healing, a potion of purity, a draught of courage, an oil of dexterity, and a greenleaf dew."
[02:21] <@Saul> "I've not heard of greenleaf dew," notes Saul, raising an eyebrow. "May I enquire?"
[02:21] <@SirGavin> "Well, Saul, could you carry them for now?"
[02:22] <@Anastasia> "Definitions are available on request, with a tiny fee, of course." Smiling, "5 griffons and we'll gladly provide scrolls explaining the effect of each potion."
[02:23] <@Saul> roll 1d20 spellcraft
[02:23] * Saul sets mode: +o Serith
[02:23] <@Saul> roll 1d20+3 spellcraft
[02:23] * @Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for Saul : [ 1d20=19 ]{22}
[02:25] <@Saul> "It seems a waste when there is only one I cannot identify," notes Saul, glancing at Anitoch, shrugging. "Perhaps you could make use of such definitions? I'm honestly not sure which potions you would prefer."
[02:26] <@SirGavin> Gavin shrugged. "More importantly.  We believe a mage may have been aiding them.  Would you be able to assist us in the matter of investigating whom it was?  We have a slight description of him."
[02:26] <@Anastasia> "If we are splitting the reward, then we should split the cost." Proposing as such and fishing into a little pouch kept on him, "2 gold and 5 tankards on behalf of the knights."
[02:26] <@Saul> "Fair enough," replies Saul, proffering up the other half.
[02:41] <@Anastasia> Taking it and putting it away behind his desk, "Ah yes. I'll retreive those in a moment, then field your other question." He scurries off through doors to the back, leaving you alone. It smells a little strange here - like old plants and roses, really.
[02:43] * @Saul sighs, shaking his head. "Tsk."
[02:46] <@Anastasia> "Strange sort," Anitoch observes with thes ame neutral cast as before.
[02:47] * @SirGavin silently waits.
[02:48] <@Anastasia> Returning after a few moments with a small  wooden holding box, he presents it to Saul. Inside are several potions - a pair of soft green-white brews, a shining golden exilir, a reddish draught, a small metal vial of an uknown liquid, and a softly glowing green tube for the last. Besides them are a few fresh and rolled scrolls.
[02:49] * @Saul reads through the scrolls, checking on what the potions do, and passing them to Anitoch when he's done.
[02:50] * @SirGavin waits patiently for the man to be ready.
[02:58] <@Anastasia> "I do hope you enjoy," So offering as he begins to count the loot Saul handed over, "Is that all?"
[02:59] <@Saul> "Actually, we're hoping for help in chasing down a fugitive," says Saul, glancing at Gavin, so he can continue.
[03:01] <@SirGavin> "Yes, would you be able to aid in recognizing a mage by description?"
[03:02] <@Anastasia> "I can attempt so, within reason." Pausing to consider carefully, tapping his long fingers against his chin, "Tell me of him and I shall see."
[03:05] <@SirGavin> "The description received was that he was short, kind of dingy with big old dirty black hair.  Smelled of cabbage and plants.  May be known to have a brother."
[03:08] <@Anastasia> "Hm. I..mmm." Standing up and closing his book, "Excuse me a few moments." Not lingering for a reply, he heads back and through the rear doors again.
[03:08] * @SirGavin waits a bit, not wanting to be directly rude.
[03:09] * @Saul frowns. "That was abrupt," he notes. "I wonder..."
[03:09] <@SirGavin> "We must hope.  Assuming the worst will inevitably cause more trouble."
[03:10] <@Saul> "Hmm? Yes, of course," says Saul.
[03:10] <@Anastasia> "It may be something he is not allowed to discuss," Anitoch ventures as he waits, minutes peeling by and away.
[03:12] <@Saul> "Hmm," mutters Saul, thinking about the layout of the guild, and where that man might have gone.
[03:13] <@Anastasia> From what Saul knows, the back area leads to the guild proper - labs, magical rooms, bedrooms, all sorts of myriad things. He could have gone anywhere.
[03:13] <@Anastasia> Ten minutes pass, still no sign of him. Anitoch idly scratches at his face, arms crossed. "He is not being hasty at all."
[03:14] <@Saul> "Hold on a moment," says Saul, frowning, and walking inside the back room after him, looking out for other mages who would have seen him go.
[03:16] * @SirGavin nods appreciatively at Saul.
[03:22] <@Anastasia> Just as Saul heads back, your contact return. Thin lipped and cautious, "Aaah. I apologise for the delay. I'm sorry, but we don't have any information on this matter."
[03:24] <@Saul> "Mmm. I apologize for my haste," replies Saul, giving the man a once-over. "What can you tell us about who owns this case, or how it was stolen? Perhaps that will give us some leads."
[03:26] <@Anastasia> "Aaah. It is the property of one Mortimer Fieire. Beyond that, he has paid well for a reward for it, and it is for some of our use as well." After firmly closing the door behind him, he goes back to his seat. "If that will be all?"
[03:26] * Saul is now known as Carthrat-Sleep
[03:26] <@SirGavin> "Mmm, could you tell us where Mr. Fieire lives?  We do have to hunt down the remaining thieves responsible, and a few questions may help."
[03:47] <@Anastasia> "Aah. He has requested to remain secluded. I can pass on a message if you want." Discreet and quiet, "He values his privacy greatly. This matter vexes him, but his interest is absolved now that his scrolls are safe."
[13:23] <Anastasia> Saul nods, finishing his business. Taking the potions out, "I can hold these for the moment, and we'll sort them later"
[13:28] <Anastasia> "Fine enough. If you are done, we can begin our own investigation. I wish you well, mage." So Anitoch turns to Gavin, "If you are ready?"
[13:28] <SirGavin> "Fair enough.  Please let him know that the knights would be very appreciative of any information he could offer regarding the robbery of those scrolls.  We are hoping to finish eliminating the guild so that such events don't happen in the future."
[13:29] <SirGavin> "Thank you.  And yes.  Let's." Gavin waited a step to see if the mage had a response before leaving.
[13:31] <Anastasia> You get a terse nod back, the clerk going back to scribbling in his grand book. Saul goes off for his own business, Anitoch glancing at the sun. "Past 3 PM now. We need to begin our search."
[13:32] <SirGavin> "Indeed.  I have one more thought, if you would.  We have a mage in town who sort of owes a bit of respect to us.  He might know something of that mage, as I don't entirely trust what we were told there.  If not, we can check on this 'pinot'?"
[13:35] <Anastasia> "Then by all means. We can start there." Anitoch begins to walk, "Where in town does he live?"
[13:36] * SirGavin tells Anitoch what he learned from Demetrious' brother while leading the way.
[13:38] <Anastasia> "1st fairgarden?" Softly whistling as Anitoch shakes his head, "That's in the Platinum streets - you know a noble that's a mage, or a mage retainer?"
[13:41] <SirGavin> "Probably the former.  He was on work for the Grand Dutchess."
[13:41] <SirGavin> "I believe I mentioned him before>"
[13:43] <Anastasia> "...aaah yes, him." A sharp nod as the streets are traversed, "Then let us go, Gavin. Knowing the nobility, we may be waiting there."
[13:50] * Seryf is now known as Hotaru-chan
[13:51] <Anastasia> Platinum gates indeed. There are gates and private guards here, albiet ones that do not stop two knights from going in. Clean cobbled streets are here, trees lining the way and great estates on the sea cliffs. It's a very pleasant and warm place - birdsong echos are well gowned women walk with debonair men, armed guards discreetly about. Benches are here and there, fountains and statues. It's idyllic, removed from Paxburg's normal bustle.
[13:55] * SirGavin looks about for Demetrious' home.
[13:57] <Anastasia> "Every time I've been  here...such luxury." Sir Anitoch takes it all in, as you walk through scented, perfect sea adn flower air. "1st Fairstreet is a ways down, but by Orial, it is a pleasant walk."
[14:00] <SirGavin> "Indeed.  They certainly know how to maintain a very pleasant neighborhood."
[14:03] <Anastasia> As you pass by frumped up nobles that have no concept of work, you soon come to a great estate. A vast lawn is here, a vineyard and several gardens. At back is ag rand manner house, at the edge of the cliff at the sea. It is a palace for all intents, beautiful and guilded. The number of Griffons that went into this would support the entire Giant's underfoot, perhaps! At the gate is a single man - no armor but he has a short sword tied to h
[14:06] <Anastasia> no armor but he has a short sword tied to his belt, a bored young guardsman. "Knights? State your business."
[14:07] <SirGavin> "Greetings sir.  Is this residence of the mage, Demetrious?"
[14:22] <Anastasia> "Sir Demetrius is here. Who is calling on him?" The reply is smart and sharp, the doorman coming to attention.
[14:25] <SirGavin> "Sir Gavin.  We met during his recent work and I was hoping he could perhaps advise on a matter of tracking down a certain local mage."
[14:36] <Anastasia> "Gavin? That's one of the names allowed." Nodding his head and using a gilded golden key to open the gates, "Folllw on."
[14:36] * SirGavin nods and follows.
[14:41] <Anastasia> So the two knights head in. Splendidly kept lawns and leisurely gardens surround you. You are lead to a little side garden, where delicate iron wrought chairs await, shade giving respite from the sun. A few flowers bushes provide fragrance, as the guardsman bows. "Sir Demetrius will be alone momentarily."
[14:41] <SirGavin> "Thank you."
[14:43] <Anastasia> Settling into wait and sniffing the air, "Very high up friends indeed, Gavin." Anitoch puts aside his gauntlets, waiting.
[14:44] <SirGavin> Gavin shrugged a touch nervously at that and nodded.
[14:46] <Anastasia> After amoment of this, a quiet and meek serving girl approaches. BLonde haired and keeping her braided head and hair down as she carries a serving tray with a bottle of some sort of wine and glasses, "Master Demetrius apologies, but he will be delayed. In the mean time, he bids that you rest and wait."
[14:47] <SirGavin> "That is no problem.  We apologize for disturbing him such and appreciate his hospitality."
[14:50] <Anastasia> Pouring two amber glasses of wine and bowing before she leaves, "...aye. Nobility indeed," Anitoch observes quietly. "I feel more a prince than a knight."
[14:56] * SirGavin nods to Anitoch as he sits to wait.
[15:21] <Anastasia> Twenty or so minutes pass until your host returns. Demetrius wears casual white linens - they look nicely made, stitched with gold thread. "Aaah. Late but here at last." Coming to sit with you, "I had expected you earlier, and with the others."
[15:26] <SirGavin> "They will come soon, but there is another matter that has my attention for the moment that I was hoping you could perhaps assist with.  Recently a large thieves guild has managed a bit of a hook in the city, and we're working to drive them out but they've gotten some magical assistance.  We checked with the local mage guild but were given something of the run around and I was hoping perhaps you might have knowledge of the mages in the area."
[15:30] <Anastasia> "I admit I have no particular knowledge of such matters. My training was not entirely in Paxburg, but no matter." Eyeing both knights with a distant curiosity, "Do go on. I'll hear you out.'
[15:35] <SirGavin> "We're hunting Jeras Ironforge and a mage who's been referred to as 'his brother', who we have no name for but was described as a short man with big old dirty black hair.  Kind of a dingy fellow who smelled of cabbage and plants."
[15:42] <Anastasia> Sniffling as if it offends him merely by description, "That sounds like one I would not associate with, nor is it a name that rings familiar." Having sat, Demetrius shakes his head negative. "The name Ironforge is not familiar to me at all."
[15:45] <SirGavin> "A pity."  He nodded.  "Thank you regardless and I am sorry to have bothered you in this regard.  I apologize for the haste, but I must continue before the trail grows too cold.  My friends though, I believe, may currently be free to assist you in your quest before I am able to.  Is there anything you would like passed on?"
[15:51] <Anastasia> "For now...no." Considerings this only a moment, "Do tell them I would prefer them to come sooner than later. Wasted time is terribly unseemly, yes?"
[15:51] <SirGavin> "I understand."  He nodded and stood. "Thank you for your time."  Gavin waited a moment for Anitoch to join him before heading out.
[16:04] <Anastasia> On leaving him behind, "Back to square one," Anitoch opines thoughtfully, "To the hard investigation now?"
[16:06] <SirGavin> "Shall we bother trying Pinot before scouting out one of the inns?" Gavin asked.
[12:14] <Anastasia> "This may be prudent...but hmmm. Our presence as knights will tip our hand largely - there is no discreet way to have two armored champions of the Solamnic Order to interrogate an inn."
[12:16] <SirGavin> "Hmmm...  Maybe then it'd be better to let the elves do that.  Let's go then and empty out one of their hidey holes."
[12:21] <Anastasia> "That may be wise. Hmm, Gavin." As you head out of this marvelous estate and back tothe only slightly less lush Platinum streets, "What do you think of this and your honor?"
[12:22] <SirGavin> "Hmm?" Gavin queried, caught slightly off guard by the question.
[12:24] <Anastasia> "Ruminating, Gavin. Does the concept of using your friends and allies slink around for you bother you at all?" Anitoch slowly walks in, bearing the weight of good steel. "I suppose...mmm. You are not a Holy Champion or a Paladin, we are not. But yet..mmm."
[12:29] <SirGavin> Gavin thought on this.  "You are right.  I thought simply to minimize strife.  We are all working as a team to see these thieves disbanded permanently, and I felt the notion of not starting a fight when we seek answers and giving further warning to our foes to be preferrable.  It is not precisely our way though, and would it be successful, I would like nothing more than to simply charge forth and crush them by force of arm, face to face witho(cont)
[12:31] <SirGavin> ut such questioning, skulking, and investigating.  They are thieves though, and to be less than thorough and cautious is to endanger others...  Let us go after one of their strongholds and see what truths that brings of what we face.  Perhaps we're too paranoid?"
[12:34] <Anastasia> Stopping his walk as Gavin elaborates, Sir Anitoch grins to those words. "You speak well, Gavin. You struggle with the concept of honor versus the well being of your friends and others. It is a difficult path - the Measure is not for all to walk, but can you accept that perhaps you may find that the Measure is not for all? Can you hold up your own honor in such a world?"
[12:36] <SirGavin> "Is that not one of the goals of our knighthood?  To bear the burden that not all will.  To stand as stone support, unshakable against the twisting world?  Bending as needs to ensure the good of all, but remaining stalwart in these things of most importance?  I think I can, but living life is the only testament to such."
[12:38] <Anastasia> Reaching out to clasp Gavin's shoulder, "Spoken like a Knight of the Crown, Sword and Rose, Gavin. Spoken very well indeed." His grin is almost boyish, brimming over with energy.
[12:39] <SirGavin> Gavin laughed as they walked.  "You do me honor, Sir Anitoch."
[12:41] <Anastasia> "You do yourself honor, Gavin. You do yourself more than enough honor." Leading Gavin out of this scented paradise and back to the normal side of Paxburg, "Let us go. We have more stops to make this evening."
[12:42] <SirGavin> Gavin glanced up to check the time, nodding and checking his blade to be loose in its sheath as well as they made way towards the first of the hideouts. "Indeed we do."
[12:43] <Anastasia> The sun is starting to head down in the sky. You have a few hours of sunlight, how much so is difficult to say on a casual glance. (You can get more info if you have Weather Sense or any related profs.) (Also, move along?)
[12:45] <SirGavin> (I don't have weather sense.  And yup, move along)
[12:58] <Anastasia> A half hour later...
[13:01] <Anastasia> The Green Goblin is a surprisingly nice place. On Black Abbey Way, a main trading throughfare. It's even well kept - mostly. But you do notice slight things - working men and a little worse, passing around in the crowd nearby. A greater congregation of them or dumb luck? It's hard to say, as many people pay attention to the sterling knights passing by. The door is closed, however, but a sign hanging on it proclaims for 'one and all' to ent
[13:04] <Anastasia> 'one and all' to enter.
[13:06] * SirGavin heads to the door and opens it, figuring little point in hiding where they're going as they'll be enough chaos soon enough.
[13:11] <Anastasia> Entering in, you find a mix - there ar esome decently dressed folks and merchants imbibing in the table pit. A sunken part of the floor plan, a few broad stairs leading down. It's rather pleasant - except fo ra few nastier, burlier sorts scatterd about - and a single towns guardsman in red, feet up and drinking from a mug of ale. This is what you see on entering.
[13:14] * SirGavin glancing at Anitoch, Gavin whispered. "They did mention they used fake guardsman. Shall we probe to see on this front?"
[13:15] <Anastasia> "Aye. Talk to the barkeep. I'll mingle - if word's gotten out, we may be in a trap or simply a mostly abandoned shell. Caution."
[13:26] <SirGavin> "Okay.  You too."  Gavin made his way over to the bar, keeping an eye out for the barkeep and waving him over.
[13:29] <Anastasia> A bearded man, wearing a clean and tight white tunic. He polishes a mug as he comes over, looking you over. "...knight, eh?" Raising an eyebrow as he speaks in an easy, soothing monotone, "What can I get one of our finest?"
[13:31] <SirGavin> "Something light.  Still a bit early and all." Gavin explained.  "A good day for business, though, it seems." Gavin glanced at the relatively full seeming inn.
[13:33] <Anastasia> "Wine?" Asking as he ponders am oment, nodding back as he bends over to get a winebottle. "We do good business here, sir."
[13:33] <Anastasia> It is indeed full - a lot of people enjoying a break and drink.
[13:36] <SirGavin> Gavin nodded.  "Indeed.  Just scouting out the area, keeping things safe.  No problems around these streets I suppose?  Peaceful enough?"
[13:38] <Anastasia> "Very peaceful, aye." Filling up a wineglass and presenting it to Gavin, "One silver tankard. But yes, quite peaceful." You can note ANitoch milling about for a table, asking a few people seeming pleasantries.
[13:40] * SirGavin places the coin down. "Good to hear. There'd been some rumors of trouble around here of late."
[13:42] <Anastasia> OOC - Log note that Gavinicus spend 1 SP. Fear. Noted since SR is down.
[13:45] * Hotaru-chan is now known as Seryf
[13:46] <Anastasia> "No, nothing that I know of." Blandly smilling as his gaze darts over - in the direction of the guardsman, whom gets up rather quickly. "We've had a peaceful time of it thanks to your efforts."
[13:48] * SirGavin follows his gaze and nods. "I should congratulate him on his excellent work." Gavin said, heading over to the guardsman obviously.
[13:49] <Anastasia> As the guard makes to exit out the front door, "Aaah, sir knight!" The barkeep calls, al ittle louder. "There's something else!"
[13:51] <SirGavin> The knight appeared not to hear, patting the guardsman on the shoulder. "Good sir, come, join me for a drink."
[13:54] <Anastasia> OOC - You two are far enough and he's going to start running, Gavin. I'm going to require running checks for both of you. (I'm going to rule a +2 to mod to yours due to heavy armor. Im' ruling him Con 10 for the sake of easiness.)
[13:55] <SirGavin> roll 1d20+2
[13:55] * Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for SirGavin : [ 1d20=6 ]{8}
[13:55] <Anastasia> roll 1d20
[13:55] * Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for Anastasia : [ 1d20=14 ]{14}
[13:55] <Anastasia> OOC - He failed; Gavin passed by a good number.
[13:56] <Anastasia> As Gavin approachse, the guardsman breaks to run! But Gavin is quicker, getting to him as he opens the door! A quick movement has him held and clasped onto!
[13:57] <SirGavin> "Come now, there's no rush." Gavin had a heavy hand on his shoulder, none too gently pulling him back inside.  "It is important to see such a dedicated worker rewarded properly."
[13:59] <Anastasia> "Guh!" Grunting out as his escape is cut off, you can see him panicking! His brown eyes are wild as he views Sir Gavin, brown hair poking out from a capping helm. His hand strays to his short sword's hilt, even as he's starting to move.
[14:01] * SirGavin claps down on his hand as he pulls him in. "There's no need for such, is there?" Gavin twisted him around.
[11:20] <Anastasia> roll 1d20
[11:20] * Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for Anastasia : [ 1d20=6 ]{6}
[11:21] <Anastasia> Grunting at this, you see panic in his eyes - before he nods. "...damn it!"
[11:22] * SirGavin squeezes a bit painfully and pulls him inside, heading towards the bar and keeping an eye out for anyone making a run.
[11:23] <Anastasia> Yanking him back, you see the bar's eyes are on you! Most of the merchants only look surprised, but a few of the scruffier elements are starting to jostle and move.
[11:25] <SirGavin> "So, my good man." Gavin walked with him towards the bar. "You're the one who keeps this area so peaceful?"
[11:26] <Anastasia> As Anitoch casually finishes his walk about near the exit, he finds reason to linger. Inspecting the door, perhaps, making sure it stays good and closed.
[11:26] <Anastasia> "...aye." A short, wiggling nod, looking away.
[11:29] <SirGavin> "Excellent.  Don't be so bashful." Gavin patted him hard on the back.  "It's a good thing.  Who's  your commanding officer by the way?  I'll make sure to let him know."
[11:30] <Anastasia> "Sir Miller!" Blurting this out super quick as he staggers forward, banging against the bar, "Miller!"
[11:32] * Usagi is now known as Sailor_Moon
[11:32] <SirGavin> "Ah...I've not heard of him....  New in the force?"  He sat down next to the man. "Barkeep, come here.  No reason to be so frightened of a local hero, no? he deserves a drink!"  gavin again pressed down on a shoulder with a hand.
[11:35] <Anastasia> The barkeep comes over slowly, a mug placed in front of Gavin. Your captive guardsman slinks down onto a rough stool on the push, looking about. "Aaah...yeah, new," Gulping, "I think I'm about due to go on patrol now..."
[11:37] <SirGavin> "But guardsman don't change shift for some hours yet...you should know that."
[11:44] <Anastasia> "Aaah..." Fumbling around further, "New regulations! Right?" Looking to the barkeep hopefully, "Tighter security!"
[11:45] <SirGavin> "Ah, important important." Gavin pretended to agree.  "Barkeep, you must back him up on this right?"
[11:59] <Anastasia> "Aaah...no. I'm afraid not." Clearing his throat, "Unless patrolling the bottom of an ale mug counts."
[12:38] <SirGavin> "But you've been commenting on it being so peaceful here...  and you were being chummy with him earlier...so why not drop the facade?  It can go easier if you come clean."
[12:42] <Anastasia> "Ugh..." As the guardsman pales considerably at Gavin's words, the barkeep smiles blandly. "I don't know what you're talking about. He's a friend, but I won't break the law for him. By all means, cart him off."
[12:46] <SirGavin> "Conspiracy is enough to bring you in for questioning as well.  I'm trying to be easy, but even if you're not involved that can take days." Gavin kept a hand on each of their arms.  "And what about your friends?  Consider, it might be better to be a live thief who bit off too much too many times than a dead one."
[12:49] <Anastasia> "...that's right!" The guardsman nods, "He's in on it too! All of them are!" Waving wildly out at various people in the crowd, "If I'm going down, it ain't alone!"
[12:52] <SirGavin> "Good lad.  Now, the lot of ye, care to put down your weapons and come peacefully?  I repeat the same thing...  better to be alive."  He mentally marked those who were pointed at.
[12:53] <Anastasia> Six in total - all burly sorts, mostly out of place here. But one pointed at is a fat merchant - wealthy and relaxed, eyes bugging out at that point!
[12:53] <Anastasia> "Attention. That is correct. In the name of the Crown of Almekia, you are all under arrest. Lay down your arms and do not struggle. We will be just and fair."
[12:53] <Anastasia> Anitoch speaks up, one hand resting heavily on the hilt of his heavy sword.
[12:54] * SirGavin didn't entirely shift his attention, making sure that those right next to him couldn't move to the attack with his grip.
[12:55] <Anastasia> As the barkeep curses quietly, most of the thugs think it over, before slowly rising. They raise their hands up good and wide, not making any sudden movements.
[12:56] <SirGavin> "Come around quietly barkeep." Gavin's eyes narrowed at him. "Don't make this harder than it needs to be."
[12:57] <Anastasia> The barkeep pauses a moment, before...
[12:59] <Anastasia> Struggling in vain, the barkeep slumps, unable to do much about Gavin's grip.
[13:01] <SirGavin> Gavin frowned and yanked his arm none too gently. "I said come around peacefully.  you can be brought in unconscious just as easily as conscious."
[13:02] <Anastasia> "...damn!" Ceasing his struggle, the barkeep is restrained. Meanwhile Anitoch goes about, checking over the goons that have surrendered, tossing aside a few daggers carefully. Looking to one of the shellshocked merchants, not pointed at, "Sir, if you would, call the town guard for us?"
[13:04] * SirGavin keeps these two bound since they're the most likely to run, waiting for the town guard before interrogations proper.
[13:04] <Anastasia> There is some mild grumbling during this, but the town guard is swift. Anitoch talks to them briefly, good Paxburg garrison men taking those accused.
[13:06] <SirGavin> "Now, I've heard you've got a stockpile under the inn?  Where is it?"  He questioned the barkeep as the garrison supported and started getting the goons out)
[13:08] <Anastasia> As he's bound with ropes and ready to be lead off, "....what do I get if I tell you," he asks back plainly.
[13:10] <SirGavin> "The guards here will be witness to you going peacefully and helpfully.  That  may help with a lighter sentence."
[13:11] <Anastasia> roll 1d20
[13:11] * Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for Anastasia : [ 1d20=3 ]{3}
[13:12] <Anastasia> "Go to hell," is all that he says, looking up. "Take me along now. Got nothing more to say."
[13:13] <SirGavin> "As you wish.  Anyone else care to try and lighten their load?" He looked at the other thieves.
[13:13] <Anastasia> roll 1d20
[13:13] * Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for Anastasia : [ 1d20=14 ]{14}
[13:13] * Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for Anastasia : [ 1d20=3 ]{3}
[13:13] * Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for Anastasia : [ 1d20=11 ]{11}
[13:13] * Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for Anastasia : [ 1d20=4 ]{4}
[13:14] <Anastasia> While af ew are quiet, a couple call out. "Under da casks!" "Yeah! One of the ale casks is hollow!"
[13:17] * SirGavin nods and turns to the guards. "Keep note that those two were cooperative. As well as the one dressed as a guard." Gavin checks the casks.
[13:18] <Anastasia> This requires Gavin going into the back. A few minutes of searching finds one that isn't full of ale. It's set into the wall,b ut a bit of pushing gets a jangling of coint to be hear. It's set into the wall at eye level, some wallspace below it as well. It's dark and quiet here, not much of note.
[13:20] * SirGavin nodding, he came back in front and waved to Sir Anitoch. "We've found it."
[13:22] <Anastasia> As the last of them are dragged off, mostly merchants remaining and watching on, "Good." Turning to a lingering guardsman, "We'll need a few carriers, probably. There's a good concentration of stolen cash and goods here, from what we know."
[13:23] <SirGavin> "Though stay towards the back for the immediate.  Who knows if they have more of them down there.  Let us clean the way out in front."
[13:26] * SirGavin turns and leads the way in, being extra cautious and slow in case of traps.
[13:30] * Quits: Hotaru-chan (dragomirst@225-52-77-204.sptc.mnscu.edu) (I fleeeeeeeeeeeeeee.)
[13:32] <Anastasia> The storage rooms is quiet. The same cask you found awaits, Gods only know what is inside or past it. "This is it?" Anitoch inquires, sniffing the slightly musty air.
[13:33] <SirGavin> "Yes."  He moved the cask he'd checked earlier.
[13:34] <Anastasia> It's set into the wall firmly. It won't be easy to move, but you do notice the barrel front is rather loose.
[13:36] * SirGavin pulls at the barrel front.
[22:36] <Dungeon_Kotono> OOC- Strength check.
[22:36] <SirGavin> roll 1d20
[22:36] * Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for SirGavin : [ 1d20=15 ]{15}
[22:37] <SirGavin> OOC: Pass by 1
[22:39] <Dungeon_Kotono> With a mighty rip Gavin yanks the fake barrel front out!  The barrel is deep and seated into the wall - and inside, flickering in the dim light - coins! SEveral hundred coppery, silvery and golden trinkets! "A thieves haul," Anitoch observes, "Let the guardsman deal with this for now.
[22:41] * SirGavin nods. "Mmm, seems this is just a small time hold. Leaves three remaining and Pinot then as leads." He turned, leaving things to the guards as he started to lead out.
[22:44] <Dungeon_Kotono> "Let's go after Pinot next," Anitoch opines after curt instructions to the town guard. Stepping out into the afternoon's heavy but lessing sunlight, "Mayhap we should go with a name we know instead of more fishing."
[22:46] <SirGavin> OOC: Time of day?
[22:46] <SirGavin> OOC: STill enough time to go?
[22:47] <Dungeon_Kotono> OOC: It's starting to get on in the day. Roughly, it's 3-4-5ish PM, more likely the latter. You've been busy.
[22:47] <Dungeon_Kotono> OOC: You'r ealso starting to get hungry, by the by.
[22:48] <SirGavin> "Fair enough.  We can grab something to eat while scoping out his place."  Gavin headed in search of Pinot's inn.
[22:51] <Dungeon_Kotono> This is a fairly long walk - over a half hour. Pinot's place is in Giant's Underfoot, a surprisngly well kept door keeping the door shut. A few lowlifes linger around the entrance of the single story dive, lots of eyes on t he two nights. You can hear murmurs - not what, but they don't sound friendly.
[22:54] * SirGavin opens the door, checking inside and careful not to appear weak given it's likely lowlifes.
[22:56] <Dungeon_Kotono> Inside is a decently well kept place. A long bar gets your attention - there's an old man there behind it, drinking a mug of ale and looking out at nothing and particular. Looks distracted, as a burly man in plate man strides forward. "No trouble, ya hear," he growls, looking you over before grunting. "Knight. Hey, boss! Knights!" There is some attention at the bar at this, the old man looking up at both of you.
[22:59] <SirGavin> "Sure sure.  We'll bring no trouble in."
[23:01] <Dungeon_Kotono> "We only go about our business, citizen." Anitoch is pointedly polite, "Tell us. Is an older fellow named Pinot around?"
[23:02] <Dungeon_Kotono> The old man is looking your way, a flicker of curiousity and annoyance jousting on his face. It makes him look nothing other than cagey and annoyed, then hidden as he drains his mug dry.
[23:08] * SirGavin notes the old man. "Any chance you're still serving food around this hour of the day?"
[23:11] <Dungeon_Kotono> As the knights approach, "Can if you need some. Got some roasting pig if you want it. Some potates that should still be fresh, too." Surveying the knights curiously, "Looking for something? I can count the number of knights I've seen here on my dick and still have some to spare."
[23:17] <SirGavin> "Sure.  How much." Gavin sat down near the old man.
[23:23] <Dungeon_Kotono> "2 silver each." Replying curtly as he eyes the both of the garbed knights, "Speak yer minds already. Even if your hear on a lark, you're gonna scare off my business for a week."
[23:24] <SirGavin> "Fine." Gavin paid.  "Hear tell you might know something about Jeras."
[23:28] <Dungeon_Kotono> Stopping just as he reaches for his mug, "...bloody hell. Ol' boy got himself into a bale of trouble?" Considering both of you a few long moments as he scoops up the four silver coins presented, "Fine." Speaking in a whisper, "He has a brother right past the Mage's Guild. Now I'm gonna get your food, you're gonna eat and then get the hell out of here." Filling Gavin in with directions, "Like breathing, you hear?"
[23:29] * Shuckle-SoC is now known as Shuckle
[23:30] <SirGavin> "fair enough." Gavin nodded.
[23:32] <Dungeon_Kotono> The food is brought within a moment. It's edible - the pork's good, but the potatoes missed being tasty by a few days, you reckon. As you eat, "Mmm. Easy, surprisingly so," Anitoch observes.
[23:33] <SirGavin> "Agreed, but we did say we wouldn't bring trouble, and I suspect outside of knocking heads, we won't get a better answer."
[23:35] <Dungeon_Kotono> "Or it's a trap," Anitoch deadpans as he eats, casting his eyes about on occasion. Most of the bar flies don't look thrilled wit hyou, but aren't doing anything bu tlooking.
[23:39] * SirGavin finishes his meal and nods, heading out. "We'll only know when we get there. Keeping our eyes open is wise as always though. We know where this place is, if they did lead us wrong, the next time won't go easily."
[23:45] <Dungeon_Kotono> Glancing up at the sun as it slowly heads down in the western sky, "Yes. But...our time elapses, Gavin. Do you wish to hold council with your allies first?"
[23:46] <SirGavin> "Mmm...  Let's catch the mage first.  I'd rather get there sooner and find him there than get there later and find him warned by one of the folks there.  We can bring him back with us and we'll be better informed all around for such a thing."
[23:52] <Dungeon_Kotono> "Mmmm." Anitoch stops and considers, thinking. "If this is magery afoot, I would prefer to not rush in again. Mere steel and skill took a heavy price from us yesterday, and I seek not to risk further against the arcane arts."
[00:01] <SirGavin> "Mmm...  With the traps  of last time, going without Saul's aid would be foolish.  You're right, Sir Anitoch.   Let's go, share what we've learned."
[00:02] <Dungeon_Kotono> "Yes. We will rest and be ready this nightfall." With that resolved, Anitoch and Gavin head back to the Broken Bow.
Well, Goodbye.