News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Session 9.c: Dealing with Devils!

Started by Carthrat, April 25, 2006, 01:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthrat

[13:18] <@Kotono> -----
[13:20] <@Kotono> The temple of Waukeen bustles with activity. Now that the rains have finally slackened, traders and affliated sorts head in and out. It's not hard to find who orwhat you want, especially if one has good coin to spend. OOC - Go ahead and state what you're here for and all that jolly rot.
[13:21] * @Saul looks for Chimar, being the churchman who tends to have the largest stock of unconventional, yet necessary goods. Not that he really wishes to speak with the man.. but, some things just have to be done in the name of magecraft.
[13:23] <@Kotono> This is not a difficult task. He wanders a paved veranda, talking to another, meek little man. Waving about grandly in short, sweeping motions, "Aaah. Here we have Brother Saul! Another...fine example of our church. But I suspect this will be a profitable and distracting matter, so if we can talk another time?"
[13:23] <@Kotono> The smaller man - really short, perhaps having dwarven blood in him - stocky and red headed, only nods quietly. As if saving his words are gold, he goes off silently.
[13:26] <@Saul> "Your compliments touch me to the heart, as always," replies Saul, bowing slightly. "I don't want to keep you long, though, so I'll be brief- I've prepared a list of herbs and incences and the like that I require. Would it be possible for you to arrange their delivery for me?" He holds a short length of parchment in one hand, proferring it to the younger, yet, relatively older cleric.
[13:26] <@Kotono> roll 1d20
[13:26] * +Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for Kotono : [ 1d20=14 ]{14}
[13:28] <@Kotono> Peering over the list and humming to himself, "Clarisage..a.nd...oh...and...mmm." Reading it with selective comments before turning his sharp eyes to Saul, "I can - with one small difficulty. Clarisage...recently my entire stock was purchased. I don't have any in stock again yet, and it is a pervading matter in Paxburg. Well...not entirely pervading."
[13:29] <@Saul> "Clarisage is a rather vital component," replies Saul, frowning. "Where does this loss not stretch?"
[13:31] <@Kotono> "An assoiciate I do business with was indispoed during the time the stock was purchased. He still holds a fair quantity - but he is...difficult. To be frank, I only deal with him by neccessity."
[13:31] <@Kotono> OOC - Gah.
[13:31] <@Saul> OOC - There's more?
[13:31] <@Kotono> "An assoiciate I do business with was indispoed during the time the stock was purchased. He still holds a fair quantity - but he is...difficult. To be frank, I only deal with him by neccessity." Now Chimar frowns, ruminating on this. "His trades are often..awkward to execute."
[13:31] <@Kotono> OOC - <_<
[13:32] <@Saul> "It's absolutely necessary that I procure all these materials shortly," replies Saul, frowning. "Could you refer him to me?"
[13:34] <@Kotono> "I can act as an intermediary. This man or woman values privacy for reasons that are best left to Waukeen to know." Now Chimar's voice becomes delicate and quiet, seeming to lure Saul's attention in. "I can inquire to what he wishes to trade - it will not be long if you can wait an hour's time."
[13:35] <@Saul> "As needs be done. I'll stay here in the meanwhile." Saul rubs a hand through his hair. "His proposition sounds like it will be interesting, if not viable."
[13:36] * Sailor_Jupiter is now known as Makoto
[13:37] <@Kotono> "Then...wait by the fountain. I shall return in time." Chimar doesn't bother with a vow, but he does leave straightaway, at least.
[13:37] <@Saul> Saul takes a seat near the fountain, paging through a book on familairs and their potential breeds and powers. Interesting stuff!
[13:39] <@Kotono> roll 1d20
[13:39] * +Serith bats the dice around, getting a roll for Kotono : [ 1d20=3 ]{3}
[13:40] <@Kotono> This hour passes without incident. Chimar is back in just under an hour. His face bears a lingeringly amused smirk, rubbing his hands together as he approaches. "Aaah! Saul! I have talked to your potential benefactor!"
[13:40] <@Saul> "Your tone fills me with hope."
[13:42] <@Kotono> "Perhaps. Now...he wishes a service of you." Pausing to sit at the edge of the fountain and looking at it's reflective depths; Chimar throws a small silver coin in and bows his head. "Are you willing to preform a potentially difficult service in return for the clarisage?"
[13:43] <@Saul> "Possibly," replies Saul, shrugging. "I seem to be courting trouble, of late."
[13:46] <@Kotono> "Then here." Withdrawing a scroll of parchment from his robe, "Read if you are so interested, and may Waukeen keep an extra close eye on you."
[13:47] * @Saul takes the parchment and opens it, eyes quickly scanning the page. "I'm sure it can't be that bad."
[13:48] <@Kotono> OOC - Reading fully or just scanning?
[13:49] <@Saul> OOC - Does this actually matter? I scan stuff and then read it in real life. >_>
[13:49] <@Kotono> OOC - Well, descriptive wise, but we'll assume you're reading.
[13:50] <@Saul> OOC - Am I going to get blown up?
[13:50] <@Saul> OOC - *hate*
[13:50] <@Kotono> OOC - No. Shush.
[13:51] <@Kotono> "There is a man staying in an inn - the Broken Bow. He has something I need; a vial of a fizzy red potion. It hisses when uncorked and smells like sulphur. Bring this to Chimar and you'll ge tyour clarisage."
[13:54] <@Saul> "I'll be back momentarily," replies Saul, trying to stifle his laughter. "How much for the stuff I requested?"
[13:54] <@Kotono> "We'll discuss terms later - if you can resolve your current...problem first." Waving his hand away, "Good luck, Saul." OOC - We'll jus troll Chimar's price into the main price. Do you have the price I quoted for the familiar herbs handy? I don't have my notes on me.
[13:55] <@Saul> OOC - 500gp.
[13:55] <@Saul> "I don't think I'll need it," mumbles Saul, quickly heading back to the broken bow to pick up that red potion he found, all that time ago.
[13:55] <@Kotono> OOC - Okay. This'll chop 150 GP off the cost if you can get the clarisage this way.
[13:56] <@Saul> OOC - I can't fail!
[13:56] <@Kotono> OOC - So you're going to return with the potion you got that long ago?
[13:56] <@Saul> OOC - I'm going to take a sniff of it first, to make sure it's all brimstone-like.
[13:57] <@Kotono> OOC - It smells...fuck. Hold on, I really need my notes for thims. Sec.
[14:00] <@Kotono> Saul finds it smells vaguely sweet and foresty.
[14:01] * @Saul frowns, kind of annoyed as he re=plugs the potion, and returns to the common room, looking for Elaine's mother.
[14:03] <@Kotono> Elaine's mother is found in the back - she's cooking a stew and staying off her feet at the moment. As she rests her tired soles on a stool and stirs a pot, "Hm? Saul?"
[14:04] <@Saul> "Afternoon," says Saul, cheerily. "I need a little help."
[14:06] <@Kotono> "Ask away...but what sort of help is it?" Elaine's mother leans towards you just a little, "Be honest, now."
[14:06] <@Saul> "I want to know about the people staying in your inn at the moment," replies Saul, winking. "I'm on business, y'see, and I'm looking for a client."
[14:08] <@Kotono> "Mmmm." Elaine's mother considers this for a few seconds before she nods. "Oh. In that case..mmm. Anyone in particular?"
[14:09] <@Saul> "No, but I'm sure I'll know him when you mention him," replies Saul, considering. "I wasn't told much about him, beyond that he's here."
[14:10] <@Kotono> "Mmmm. There is one - strange fellow. Baggy clothes, carries several packs. Smells like a cave...bats, actually." A disquited, dispirited frown there, ruining her good mood. Waving her spoon up from the stew, "Upstairs, second room on the right. If he's not a wizard, he's surely some other breed of oddity."
[14:11] <@Saul> "I like to think others of my profession keep themselves presentable, but it seems I am foiled once more," considers Saul. "Thanks!" At that, he heads upstairs, going to knock on the door of this man!
[14:13] <@Kotono> So knocking, you get the following back. "Aye, whaddaya want?" is called back, a thickly scarred voice replying in kind.
[14:14] <@Saul> "I've got a proposition for you," replies Saul, smoothly. "You've got something I need."
[14:15] <@Kotono> "Keep goin'" You hear a loud grunt through the door, "Keep it goin'."
[14:15] <@Saul> "A potion. Smells like brimstone, red in pigmentation," continues Saul. "How much is it worth to you?"
[14:16] <@Kotono> Now there is a pause. It stretches, before, "Go 'way. Ain't interested in sellin' it! Tell that buzzard to go to hell!"
[14:19] <@Saul> "Reconsider your options carefully," replies Saul, thinking fast, silver tounge trying to work. "He wants it pretty badly, and I don't know what he'll stop at to get it."
[14:19] <@Kotono> "You wanna bet on that, boy?" An angrier tone sounds, the clatter of something heavy hitting the ground. "You want it...come right on in."
[14:22] <@Saul> "Don't get upset with me! I'm just the intermeditary," replies Saul, trying not to sound disdainful. "Besides, if I ruined her inn, Ms. Silverwind's daughter would ruin *me*." A short pause before he continues speaking again, timed for maximum effectiveness- "You know, though. He never told me what it was. Just a red, fizzy potion, smells like sulphur." (More.)
[14:23] <@Saul> A long, excessive sigh. "I'm no herbalist, so I don't know what'd act like that. But, say, any potion that fit those criteria.. would fit the deal."
[14:28] <@Kotono> "...mhp." Another loud grunt, "Yer talkin' but I'm not hearing what I want to hear, almost. You saying what I think you're saying?"
[14:29] <@Saul> "I'm just letting you know of the terms," replies Saul, rolling his eyes. "What can I say to you that you would want to hear, beyond 'farewell?'"
[14:31] <@Kotono> "...mph." Considering again, "It ain't my head on the chopping block." There is a tinkling sound of glass on glass, before the door cracks open. A blood red potion is thrust out in the tiny gap, a vial for Saul to take.
[14:32] <@Saul> "I beg to differ," replies Saul, after taking the potion. "I'm sure that my client will be equally displeased with both of us, in the end. But, I have fulfilled the deal to the letter."
[14:34] <@Kotono> "Orial watch over ya." Is all the reply you get back, door slammed thereafter.
[14:34] <@Saul> "He never has before," mutters Saul, starting the walk back to his church.
[14:35] <@Kotono> This trip is without incident. Chimar waits - nay, paces. On seeing you from his pacing perch just inside the temple, he rubs his hands togeter and approaches. "Aaah! Brother Saul, how did it go?"
[14:37] <@Saul> "I have a potion that fits the description given," replies Saul, handing the vial to Chimar. "Though, the man in question was quite cagey.. hmph. I cannot vouch for it's potency."
[14:38] <@Kotono> "Hmph. I see, I see." Uncorking it half a moment and sniffing, Chimar makes a disgusted face and recorks it in record time. "We'll see what he says - if you don't mind waiting a little while longer?"
[14:39] <@Saul> "I will do so," replies Saul, nodding.
[14:41] <@Kotono> This time Chimar returns in about a half hour. He looks shaken - but he holds a small cloth wrapped bundle. "...here." Thrusting it at Saul, "Go and take it." His tone is snippish and short, rather disturbed.
[14:43] <@Saul> "Just a moment," replies Saul, casting a quick magical detection spell.
[14:44] <@Kotono> No magic is detected on the pouch. However, you do note that Chimar wears a gold ring that radiates reasonably strong magic.
[14:45] * @Saul isn't interested in Chimar's belongings, though. "Thanks, then," he replies, taking the bundle. "Shall we discuss terms for the other things I need now?"
[14:52] <@Kotono> "Yes, if you wish..." Chimar nods, the haggling over terms starting. OOC - Want to cut this here?
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up