News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

The Great Debate!

Started by Carthrat, October 08, 2002, 03:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpjam

Quote from: Rezantis on October 09, 2002, 06:55:14 PM
You haven't asked a question.

*smiles inscrutably*

*coughs*

He did mention something about timing...

also, there are quite a few things that should be clarified, like how post will work, time-limits for answers, are answers given by a spokesperson for the team or is at round-robin type alternate answer... I'm sure I've missed some.
he secret of tomb has been revealed, do nothing!

Carthrat

* Carthrat thought he answered it, but it seems he didn't.

Erm. Three days? Not a problem, though I'd rather keep it down.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Rezantis

*kicks Rat*  Answer the rest.

KP:  Yeah, but he didn't ask anything, technically...  ^^
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Dracos

Pushes his glasses up.

"I thought you knew how to read between the lines and notice an obvious question of order."

Smirks at rez.

Fearless Leader
Has no mercy
Well, Goodbye.

Rezantis

Of course I can, but I don't see any need to unnecessarily complicate the issue - as you are wont to do.  State your questions plainly, and you'll receive plain answers in return.

^_^

Dracos

*laughs*

Instead you would prefer chaos when we attempt this?  A disorganized team attempt on both sides as neither know what is going on, what is valid and what isn't?

Fearless leader
Well, Goodbye.

Rezantis

Ah, Dracos, you would sow the seeds of confusion... interested as I am, this is not my idea.

It's the idea of Carthrat... so while I answer what I am able, the call on that which I am not entirely sure on must - by courtesy - go to him.  :)

I think I have to turn your question back at you, Dracos... perhaps you should be phrasing your questions in plain language, making it far simpler for everyone involved?

Carthrat

Well, Drac, if that's what the people want.

Is that what you want, people? A stupid, chaotic, and quite entertaining debate? Or an intelligent and ordered, yet still quite entertaining debate?

Dracos

Rezantis: Ah but my friend KP already did such, and given it is the third such statement of the question, the necessity of specifically stating it all for everyone isn't there.  Verily though, thy dodge amuses me.  All that is necessary in your post is a "It's Rat's Decision."

Carthrat: Well....we have this nifty thing called a Poll on our forum.  Last I looked, it was still there.  Maybe if you actually don't want this thread getting spammed beyond recognition...or not getting much feedback at all, you should start an easy poll.  Either way...
You've already started down a path claiming 'rules', with limits on the days, participants, etc.

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.

Carthrat

There's a poll option? News to me o_O

I'm still waiting on another participant, and it *will* be an orderly debate, anyway.

Of course, once we're done, people can feel free to argue the point as much as they like. ^_^

Rezantis

Dracos, my esteemed colleague, I'm gratified by your amusement... but I think, perhaps, you need to reread the thread; at the time when you stated that your question had not been answered, KP had not yet done anything of the sort.

Also, you need to do your research better; the poll option is currently only available to administrators - something that could have been apparent with a slightly less cursory examination on your part.

Ahem.

Rat, get off your ass and lay down the rules already, or nobody is going to take you seriously.  ^_^

Carthrat

Rules! In greater detail!

Two sides of three people each. You organize your debators into First Speaker, Second Speaker, and Third Speaker. Or Writer. Whatever.

The sides are, naturally, Affirmitive and Negative. Affirmitive goes first, then negative, then affirmitive, etc. In speaker order.

You 'speak' by submitting a 1000-1500 word essay on the topic which supports your argument, and hopefully demolishes your opponents.

The first speaker for the affirmitive kicks off the debate, and the next speaker has three days to respond. We take it from there.

The Judging shall be done at the End of the Debate by the Forum Itself. I'm sure Drac will have rectified the Polling Problem by then.

Rezantis

Won't be rectified, this being deliberate and not a mistake in the configuration.  Ask an admin to post a poll for you.  :)

Carthrat

Okies, Kwok volunteered! Not that great, but it's better than nothing ^^;

Teams to be decided tomorrow, and one additional rule.

You *can't* confer with your accosiates about the debate after it starts. We have to work of the honor basis for this, but since we're all such swell people, I'm sure it'll work just fine.

Beforehand, though, talk all you want.

Dracos

*Sweatdrops*

No, it isn't better then nothing, really.

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.