News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

Logs: Arc I: Dreams of Heroism

Started by Bjorn, August 12, 2006, 07:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjorn

[Session of Aug 12, 2006]

Bjorn: You distinctly remember that your body vanished before the world did, and it seems unfair to you that your body reappears to you before the world does.  Maybe if it had gone the other way, it wouldn't have hurt quite so much.

[19:40] Halbarad decides to go for eloquent. "DAMN, that hurts!"
[19:40] Bjorn: The first sensation you experience is the impact of hitting the ground.  Not hard, because you didn't fall far -- your legs just collapsed from the disorientation.  It also didn't hurt because you fell on somebody else.

[19:40] Bjorn: You think you might be stuck now.

[19:40] Brian: "...elcome," Brian wheezes out, sinking to his knees and doing a check on the last things he remembered taking.  No, he's been clean and sober for a month now, and this ... is totally new and unreal.

[19:43] Halbarad: "Whose foot is this?" Tim grumbles, attempting to push it out of his face.

[19:43] Rez just voices a loud profanity.

[19:43] Brian: "Glasses," Brian mutters, groping around for them before he even opens his eyes.

[19:44] Rez tries to roll out of the pile of bodies, first things first.

[19:44] Bjorn: It takes you just a minute or so to sort yourself out... three of you in a heap, just ordinary-looking guys, though none of you immediately recognize each other.

[19:44] Bjorn: But then it hits you that there are other people in the clearing.  And they're not so ordinary.

[19:45] Halbarad groans, rubbing his ribs as he collects his senses, taking a moment to get a better idea of his surroundings.

[19:45] Rez . . . picks himself up, and looks at the Not So Ordinary People.

[19:45] Bjorn: The three of you are in the middle of what seems to have been a three-way stand-off.  One guy is tall, about six foot, lean and well-muscled.  He's not wearing anything but a loose pair of pants, and that lets you see the elabourate black tattoos covering, apparently, his whole body.

[19:46] Brian elects to remain silent for the moment, trying to figure out what's going on, but glances over the two who landed on him briefly.

[19:46] Bjorn: The other guy is older, blonde, bearded.  He might be big, or it just might be his armour -- he's wearing a massive suit of plate mail, and he's got a broadsword pointed at you.

[19:48] Bjorn: The last... isn't human.  Not at a closer glance.  He moves like there's no bones in his body, and the bright green eyes in his narrow, pointed face flick without blinking from you to the other two humans and back again, regular as clockwork.  There's no expression on his small, almost lipless mouth, as he shifts from foot to foot, but his long pointed ears twitch through his close-cropped brown hair.

[19:49] Halbarad is an almost painfully thin man, just shy of six feet tall. A battered gray fedora sits askew on top of his head, and small rectangular glasses rest on his nose - apparently not dislodged by the sudden landing. He's dressed in a pair of slacks and a Hawaiian shirt, and is currently looking at the People of Unusualness rather warily.

[19:53] Brian is still sitting on the ground, but would probably be about six feet tall. He's heavy, and looks slow; he also rather resembles a pirate on an off day. A scraggly beard covers the lower half of his face, running straight back to a pair of silver earrings.

[19:53] Brian: A bracelet of some kind flashes on his left wrist when he reaches up to adjust his rounded glasses.  Hair running to his waist in a braid is flicked back behind his shoulder, from where it was previously concealing the shirt bearing the man's apparent alma matter: Starfleet Academy.  He also wears a nametag with a batsymbol on it, and a name of 'Brian'.

[19:55] Rez is thin and bony, just under six feet tall himself. He's got unkempt brown hair and is clean shaven - aside from that, he's wearing black sneakers, blue jeans and a black shirt, with a thin black jacket over the top. He's on one knee at the moment, and is eying the man with the broadsword warily.

[19:57] Bjorn: The... elf?  has a bow, though for whatever reason he (?) hasn't drawn it -- instead he's got a knife out, held low and threatening.

[19:58] Bjorn: The first to break the standoff is Mr. Shirtless. who takes a step closer to you (while still keeping a wary eye on the elf, you note), and barks something that sounds intimidating in a language you don't recognize at all.

[19:58] Halbarad doesn't move, aside from having already regained his feet. He slowly spreads his arms out to either side, showing that he's clearly unarmed and not planning on trying anything.

[19:59] Bjorn: He says something again.  It's a different language, you're pretty sure -- harsher, with more consonants than the first time, but it still means nothing to you.

[20:00] Brian remains still, though in his mind he's sure that whatever he's in, he's not alone; these two skinny guys are part of it, somehow. Fear combats an urge to make a witty comment, resulting in further silence.

[20:00] Rez shrugs slowly, holding his palms outwards. "Do any of you understand english?"

[20:00] Halbarad: "I do, at least, although no clue on them," Tim replies, still trying to be as nonthreatening as he can.

[20:01] Bjorn: The Viking-knight-guy says something to Mr. Shirtless in the harsher language.

[20:01] Rez: "I figured that."

[20:02] Bjorn: Mr. Shirtless' response, you get the feeling, is something along the lines of, "I know, I know!"  With one last distrustful look at the elf, he slowly extends his right arm out towards you.

[20:02] Brian: "So," Brian tries, sotto voco, keeping an eye on the green-eyed knife, "does anyone else get that ... sinking feeling?"

[20:03] Halbarad: "This wasn't at all what I had in mind for an interview," Tim replies, slowly extending one of his own hands towards Shirtless.

[20:04] Rez slowly stands up. "I just volunteered for something, didn't I?"

[20:19] Halbarad: "Sure looks that way, doesn't it?"

[20:20] Bjorn: OOC: Hal, roll EGO at -3.
[20:20] Halbarad: roll 3d6-3
[20:20] Hatbot: --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6-3 and gets 10." [3d6=6, 6, 1]
[20:21] Bjorn: Uh, sorry.  I meant at +3.
[20:21] Bjorn: So you rolled 16.

[20:23] Bjorn: As your hand touches Mr. Shirtless', it's like a voice starts screaming in your head.  You can make out everything it's saying, about words and training and hours of suffering under a burning iron and blood and fear and... but it's too much, too fast, and you're driven to your knees, insensate.

[20:24] Bjorn: To all others, when Tim and Mr. Shirtless touch hands, they both stiffen, and then collapse.  Tim is twitching.  Mr. Shirtless is not.

[20:25] Bjorn: There's an awful, dreadful moment of silence.

[20:25] Brian: "I don't think I like where this is going," Brian murmurs, eyeing sword-dude speculatively.

[20:25] Rez drops back to one knee next to hat-man, before realizing he doesn't actually have any idea What To Do.

[20:31] Brian: "If he's having a seizure, make sure he doesn't hurt himself, but it's not good to move him," Brian warns, still keeping an eye on sword-guy ... though knife-guy is still a possible issue.

[20:32] Bjorn: Sir Viking was frozen in shock, apparently, but Brian's remark seems to shake him out of it.  With a roar, he charges in.  Not to be left out, the knife darts in at the same time.

[20:33] Bjorn: Combat time. :D

[20:36] Bjorn: Okay.  segment 4.  The elf with the knife goes.

[20:36] Bjorn: roll 1d6 to pick a target

[20:41] Bjorn: Forgoing his knife, the elf lunges out to try and grab Brian.

[20:41] Brian: Mweep!  Abort to dodge!

[20:41] Bjorn: Okay.  This gives Brian a DCV of 5.

[20:42] Bjorn: roll 3d6

[20:42] Hatbot: --> "Bjorn rolls 3d6 and gets 9." [3d6=1, 6, 2]

[20:43] Bjorn: Nimble as Brian is, from his knees he's just not fast enough.  The elf's hand locks fast around Brian's upper arm, and then...

[20:43] Bjorn: OOC: Brian, roll 3d6 with a penalty of 3 against EGO.

[20:44] Brian: roll 3d6+3

[20:44] Hatbot: --> "Brian rolls 3d6+3 and gets 13." [3d6=2, 3, 5]

[20:44] Brian: Fail by 2.

[20:46] Bjorn: There's a voice howling in your head, screaming about... gates and locks and missions and the wind and more things that you can't even understand because everything is so far from human that it's just too much.

[20:47] Bjorn: Just as with Tim and the shirtless man, Brian and the elf collapse to the ground, but the elf... melts.

[20:47] Bjorn: Segment 6.  Nathan and Sir Viking.  Nathan goes first.

[20:50] Rez: ". . . you have got to be kidding me."

[20:50] Rez: I hold my action.

[20:51] Bjorn: Sir Viking's eyes widen, but his charge is going full speed, and it doesn't seem like he's going to be able to stop.

[20:52] Bjorn: He, too, is going to try to Grab Rez.

[20:53] Rez: Right.  I think the grabbing isn't going to be anything lethal, but that much armour is going to hurt like hell when he hits me.  I abort to dive for cover!

[20:54] Bjorn: How could I guess?

[20:55] Rez: I think you must be psychic.

[20:55] Bjorn: Okay.  You're going to need to cover one hex.

[20:56] Bjorn: That's a DEX check at -1 penalty.

[20:56] Rez: I don't even care if he successfully grabs me, I just don't want to get hit with a half ton of metal.

[20:56] Bjorn: So you need to roll 9 or less.

[20:56] Rez: roll 3d6-1

[20:56] Hatbot: --> "Rez rolls 3d6-1 and gets 14." [3d6=5, 5, 5]

[20:56] Rez: Ow.

[20:56] Bjorn: And, you didn't.

[20:57] Bjorn: Sir Viking grabs a solid hold on Nathan's throat, trusting that his armour will keep him in safe if Nathan has the same death touch.

[20:57] Bjorn: But it doesn't.

[20:57] Bjorn: Roll EGO at +3.

[20:57] Rez: roll 3d6+3

[20:57] Hatbot: --> "Rez rolls 3d6+3 and gets 12." [3d6=3, 4, 2]

[20:57] Bjorn: That's a pass!

[20:58] Bjorn: There is a voice in your head, yammering about mountains and iron and armour and bonding and a pledge to serve and the salvation of mankind.  For a second, it threatens to overwhelm you, but, just barely, you manage to hold it together.

[20:59] Bjorn: Sir Viking, however, is not so lucky, and collapses.

[21:01] Rez: just . . . stands still for a few seconds, fingering his throat. This is a little bizarre.

[21:01] Rez: So, has Hat-guy stopped twitching yet?

[21:01] Bjorn: Not quite, though it's getting less.

[21:03] Rez: I kneel down and check Sir Viking's pulse.

[21:03] Bjorn: There is none.

[21:05] Rez: I go and check Mr Shirtless' pulse.

[21:06] Bjorn: The blood leaking from nose and ears gives you the answer before you can touch his throat -- he's dead.

[21:06] Bjorn: And it's not even worth checking the elf guy, given that the steaming... mess that he used to be is spreading out.  It'll be all over the guy with the beard, shortly.

[21:08] Rez: Get dead elf all over my shoes, move the guy who said not to move people who were having seizures, or sit down and wait until the other two wake up.

[21:08] Rez: Not a choice at all really.  Has that voice shut up?

[21:11] Bjorn: Yes and no.  It's subsided, to the point where you can completely ignore it.  But when you look at something, like the body of Mr. Shirtless, it whispers to you, and tells you that he was an Adept named Anyin ibn Temuyin.

[21:13] Rez: I look at Sir Viking, hoping it'll tell me a little more about him.

[21:13] Bjorn: Roll Amnesiac Memory.

[21:13] Rez: roll 3d6

[21:13] Hatbot: --> "Rez rolls 3d6 and gets 15." [3d6=6, 5, 4]

[21:15] Bjorn: ... Nothing.  You know that he was a Crafter, you know the
meanings of the runes engraved on his armour, you even know how to make yourself a new suit of armour if need be.  But nothing about the man himself.

[21:15] Rez: I look at the goop.

[21:16] Bjorn: Amnesiac memory again.

[21:17] Bjorn: Tim, you're starting to wake up again around now.

[21:17] Rez: roll 3d6

[21:17] Halbarad groans, putting a hand to the side of his head - and promptly searching for his hat, as it seems to have finally detached itself from his head in his most recent collapse.

[21:17] Hatbot: --> "Rez rolls 3d6 and gets 12." [3d6=1, 6, 5]

[21:19] Bjorn: The voice is hesitant for a second, but... it's a Fae.  They seduced men from beyond the veil, offered them power and magic and then came to conquer all of humanity.  The Fae War has been going on for centuries.  They don't normally melt.

[21:21] Halbarad finally locates his hat, and then catches sight of the steaming sludge that used to be an elf. "What the hell happened?"

[21:22] Bjorn: This is also Brian's cue to being to wake.

[21:22] Rez: "All three of them are dead."

[21:23] Brian: "Nyaa...."  Brian sits up very slowly, trying to sort out the jumble in his head.

[21:23] Rez: "When they grabbed us, they died."

[21:23] Brian: Wincing slightly, Brian offers, "For what it's worth, better them than us.  I'm pretty sure they weren't trying to make friendly, you know."

[21:25] Brian: Scooting away from the elf-sludge, Brian then rises to his feet and looks around.  Not seeing anyone else other than the two nameless strangers, he says, "So ... I'm Brian.  Who are you, and, uh, how did we get here?"

[21:26] Halbarad: "Tim," Tim offers. "As to the other question, damned if I know. I was at a career counseling deal down at UT, then next thing I know I'm here."

[21:28] Rez: "Nathan.  I'm as clueless as the rest of you, I was talking to some lady about games and . . . well, I'd say she sent me here."

[21:30] Brian: "Lady?" Brian says speculatively.  "I saw one of those.  Was just talking to her and then -- bam!  Straight out of California and on to...."  He glances around.  "Wherever.  What is this, Yosemite?  Where's 'UT', anyway?"

[21:31] Halbarad: "University of Texas, in Austin." Tim looks around, trying to get some kind of idea where he is.

[21:31] Rez: "Well, it ain't Yosemite, unless you people have elves now."

[21:31] Brian: "Texas," Brian muses, with a frown.  "And I don't see any elf."

[21:31] Rez: "He melted."

[21:32] Rez: waves a hand at the goop. "After he grabbed you."

[21:32] Brian eyes the pile of goop.

[21:32] Brian: "Oh."

[21:32] Brian: "Um.  Okay.  SO....  I work at a bookstore.  You guys?"

[21:33] Halbarad: "Call center for me. I was thinking of taking a vacation soon, but this isn't exactly what I had in mind."

[21:33] Bjorn: At first glance, you seem to be in some sort of rocky clearing.  It takes a few seconds of staring at a particularly regular rock formation, however, before you realize you're in the ruins of some city.  It must have been abandoned for ages, though -- trees and vines run rampant, and most of the buildings within sight, never more than a story tall, half half-collapsed.

[21:34] Rez: "Contract programmer."

[21:34] Halbarad mutters a bit at that.

[21:34] Bjorn: You're in what was likely a market or park at an intersection -- a fairly large clear area, but the buildings block your view more than a hundred feet away.

[21:34] Rez: "What?"

[21:35] Brian: "I used to work in a call center," Brian muses.  "And -- hey, I know some guys in Austin, actually.  Do you know a David Fields?  Or an Alloni Kramer?"

[21:36] Rez: hasn't said where he comes from, but the Australian accent will make it obvious to anyone able to recognize one.

[21:36] Halbarad: "Been wanting to get into programming for a while," Tim replies. "And sorry, never met either of them. That I know of, anyway."

[21:38] Brian: "Well, Austin's a big place," Brian says absently.  "So, uh....  You guys don't know why we're here either, I take it?"

[21:38] Halbarad: "Not a clue. Just that the advisor was going on and on about what I wanted to do when I grew up and whether I liked to travel."

[21:39] Brian: "Yeah....  I was talking about books.  Heroes and stuff."

[21:40] Rez is kneeling down next to the crafter, inspecting his armour curiously (and trying to ignore the dead body thing). "I was advising some lady on games, she asked a lot of questions about heroism. Just before I ended up here, I asked her name and she said she was 'an opportunity'."

[21:40] Rez: "I guess she wasn't kidding."

[21:40] Brian scratches his head. "Would she have been, oh, yeah high?" he asks, holding up a hand. "Red hair, kinda cute? Very direct in her line of questioning?"

[21:41] Halbarad: "Sounds like the advisor I was talking to, yeah." Tim frowns a bit. "Kept warning me that it wasn't a job interview."

[21:41] Rez: "That would be her."

[21:42] Brian grunts and pulls his badge off, wrapping the cord around it and shoving it into a pocket.

[21:42] Rez: "Wait."'

[21:43] Rez: "What date is it?  And about what time?"

[21:43] Halbarad plants his hat back on his head firmly. "Uh... was... hmm. Tuesday the 15th for me, just after 10:30. Before I got here, anyway."

[21:43] Brian: "Uh....  Well, it was closing shift, so probably around nine o'clock, tuesday.  We just got paid, so it's the fifteenth."

[21:44] Rez: "Hm.  13th where I was."

[21:45] Rez looks around the city, hoping the voice will tell him where the hell they are.

[21:45] Brian: "Well.  Time zones and all that stuff."

[21:45] Brian spends a minute taking a stick and poking through the goop to see if there's anything ... well ... recognizable in all of it.

[21:45] Bjorn: Rez: Roll Amnesiac Memory.

[21:46] Rez: roll 3d6

[21:46] Hatbot: --> "Rez rolls 3d6 and gets 11." [3d6=1, 5, 5]

[21:46] Halbarad: "I'd just like to know what the hell is going on. I just got this huge... rush of images, and then blacked out."

[21:46] Bjorn: Brian: it was very clearly once a living being.  Though it's getting to be... less so.  You can sort of imagine this is what would happen if you took something and let  it sit in the hot sun for days on end,  but happening over the course of minutes instead.

[21:47] Bjorn: Rez: The voice tells you that this is Primhaem.  This is where humans settled when they first came to this world, the greatest and glorious city until the Fae levelled it.

[21:48] Brian: After a moment, Brian starts looking for something to dig with; remains should be buried, ideally, and ones that are going this quickly especially so.  Though....

[21:49] Rez sighs, and starts checking over the viking to see if he's carrying anything useful. Sword, noted. Map would be good; food would be better. Also, what were the three doing here?

[21:50] Halbarad takes a closer look at the remains of Shirtless as well, trying to make out anything about the man who did this to him (?)

[21:50] Bjorn: There are two packs of sorts over at the other end of the clearing, behind where the humans were when  you first arrived.  Nothing by the elf, though, but the knife, his bow and arrows, as well as some now really disgusting clothes.

[21:51] Bjorn: Rez: The man seems to be stripped down for combat -- nothing on him at the moment but armour and sword.

[21:51] Brian: "Pragmatism," Brian says, hoping his newfound ... friends? ... don't look at him too askance for robbing the dead.  He moves the fae's equipment over near a tree, excepting the clothes.  (The elf can keep those.)

[21:51] Bjorn: Halbarad: Roll Amnesiac Memory.

[21:52] Halbarad: roll 3d6

[21:52] Hatbot: --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 and gets 9." [3d6=2, 6, 1]

[21:53] Bjorn: Mr. Shirtless was Anyin ibn Temuyin.  He'd just undergone the Trial by Iron last month, and he'd come to Primhaem to... prove himself?  Not with permission, the voice tells you.

[21:54] Bjorn: He's got even less on him than the Crafter did -- just a pair of pants.  He's not even bothering with shoes.  He does have a pendant, though, a square tablet of bone suspended on a leather cord.

[21:54] Halbarad removes the pendant, figuring it's possibly useful - certainly more so than the pants would be, anyway.

[21:56] Rez: roll 3d6+5 or So, What Were They Doing Here?

[21:56] Hatbot: --> "Rez rolls 3d6+5 or So, What Were They Doing Here? and gets 18." [3d6=6, 3, 4]

[21:56] Bjorn: Absolutely nothing.

[21:56] Rez: goes to check the packs!

[21:57] Bjorn: Both packs are pretty much the same.  Lots of dried meat and dried fruit, flint and steel, what you're guessing is wire for snares, a few changes of clothes, and... bags of iron filings?

[21:58] Bjorn: Other than the latter, it seems to be pretty much standard medieval travel fare, or so you'd guess.  No maps, though.

[21:58] Brian: Brian takes a seat against the tree where he left the elf's stuff, not finding anything worthwhile to dig with.  While they're busy, he studies the knife, trusting his hearing to alert him to anyone approaching.  

[21:58] Halbarad: tries to see if this mysterious voice can tell him anything about this Trial by Iron, or why Anyin would have been here without permission.

[21:59] Rez: Do I remember anything about the iron filings?

[22:00] Bjorn: Brian: The knife is bronze, embedded in a bone handle.  It doesn't seem very well made; functional rather than artistic.  It was made to work, no more and no less.

[22:00] Bjorn: Halbarad: Two separate AM checks, the latter at +5.

[22:00] Bjorn: Rez: AM check.

[22:01] Rez: roll 3d6 for Iron Filings?  WTF would I be carrying those for?

[22:01] Hatbot: --> "Rez rolls 3d6 for Iron Filings? WTF would I be carrying those for? and gets 11." [3d6=3, 2, 6]

[22:01] Halbarad: roll 3d6 for what the hell is a Trial by Iron

[22:01] Hatbot: --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 for what the hell is a Trial by Iron and gets 14." [3d6=5, 3, 6]

[22:02] Brian: After a moment of study, Brian sticks the knife through his belt.  "So, anyway," he says, unnerved by the stillness -- and how well he can hear things suddenly -- "I see the both of you have already met my good friend and lifelong companion, Akward Silence."

[22:02] Halbarad: roll 3d6+5 for why am I here?

[22:02] Hatbot: --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6+5 for why am I here? and gets 18." [3d6=6, 3, 4]

[22:02] Bjorn: Rez: The Fae hate iron.  The touch alone can do them harm.  Any human traveller carries a bag or two of iron filings, to drive Fae away, or to set up impromptu barriers.

[22:02] Rez: "Don't mind me, I'm just listening to the voices in my head . . ."

[22:03] Brian: "Reassuring.  What are they saying?"

[22:03] Halbarad: "Sorry, just trying to figure out what's going on," Tim replies absently. "And I LIKE quiet, honestly. Beats having people shouting questions at me all day. Nothing personal."

[22:03] Bjorn: Halbarad: The last stage of Adept training is to prove there is no taint of the Fae in the magic you've learned.  In the Trial by Iron, iron filings are heated and then carefully inserted below the skin.  If you survive, well, no Fae in you.  Those are the tattoos covering Anyin's body.

[22:03] Brian: "Yeah, well....  I like quiet, too, but I don't especially like ending up in a new world where I melt someone just 'cause they touch me.  Sorry."

[22:03] Bjorn: And you've got nothing on why Anyin was here.

[22:04] Rez points at the viking. "I can remember a fair bit of what . . . I think . . . he knows. Knew. Trying to piece it together."

[22:04] Rez: "I don't think that was you."'

[22:04] Rez: "For what it's worth."

[22:04] Halbarad: "Yeah, same here," Tim nods to Nathan. "And I can't blame you - this whole thing smells funny, but I have no idea what the hell to do about it right now other than try to stay alive."

[22:04] Brian: "That's reassuring, I guess.  So ... um ... that lady who it seems sent us here.  I can only guess she had a reason for it.  I mean, she mentioned heroics to both of you, right?"

[22:06] Halbarad: "Not specifically, but she was hinting at it - talking about astronauts, firefighters, policemen, that kind of thing. Modern-day heroes, I guess."

[22:06] Brian: "Well....  She asked me about heroes.  And books and stuff, but I figured it was the heroic part.  Anyway, she asked me about being dragged into it, and going for it voluntarily.  I'm thinking that was a not so sublte hint."

[22:07] Rez: "Mm, she was talking to me about the exact same thing."'

[22:07] Brian: "Though, that doesn't explain where the hell we are, or why."

[22:07] Rez: "We are in Primhaem, first and greatest city of humans on this world, until the fae levelled it!"

[22:08] Halbarad: "Sounds different from me. She made a big deal over whether I'd want to be taking orders or giving them, or working by myself."

[22:08] Brian: "I guess that makes you the party leader.  Well, okay.  I guess we might as well get this over with.  I think we'd best stick together, if only because ... well ... hell.  Anyway....  I'll stick with you guys, if you don't have a problem with it."

[22:09] Halbarad: "Not at all," Tim replies, giving Brian a small smile. "We're in this together anyway, looks like, so best to stick together."

[22:09] Brian fidgets with the knife for a moment. "I'm kind of hearing things, too. Can you guys, uh, do anything like this?"

[22:10] Rez looks over to Brian curiously. "Like what?"

[22:10] Brian: Standing, Brian gestures with both hands and mumbled something in a tongue that feels alien to him; in response, a whirlwind scoots across the clearing, gathering the loose forest debris and scattering it across the goopy body.

[22:10] Halbarad: "Um... no, definitely nothing like that," Tim says, slightly wide-eyed.

[22:11] Brian: "Yeah.  'Cause, I couldn't do it yesterday, and believe me, it's not for lack of trying."

[22:11] Rez: "I can't do anything like that, no . . ."

[22:11] Rez: "Suggestion."

[22:11] Brian: "It better not be touching; I get the feeling that's a bad idea."

[22:12] Rez shrugs. ". . . seriously, I'm pretty sure that wasn't you."

[22:13] Brian shrugs back.

[22:13] Rez: "Anyway.  Humans are at war with the fae.  I . . . am . . . going to guess that was fae magic.  Don't use it where people might see.  It might be bad."'

[22:14] Brian: "Yeah," Brian agrees.  "That's fine.  Um.  Now, help me out with this part, because right now we're all speaking English.  I mean, we are, aren't we?"

[22:14] Halbarad: "If that's the case? Yeah, definitely keep it under wraps. I remember something about... Anyin," he indicates the dead Shirtless, "going through a ritual to prove that his magic wasn't fae magic."

[22:15] Rez: "Yes . . . we are.  I'm pretty sure we are."

[22:15] Halbarad: "*I* am, anyway."

[22:15] Brian: "So ... that language I was using there was, I think the fae language.  So it'll really stand out if I did anything."

[22:15] Halbarad thinks back to their arrival, and tries to see if he can remember what the others said - and whether it makes any more sense now.

[22:17] Brian: "I think I know it, but....  This is a bit weird."  With concentration, Brian managed to spout out what's probably utter gibberish to everyone who doesn't speak Fae: "I'm speaking a language I shouldn't know."

[22:17] Rez: Not a clue what you just said!

[22:17] Bjorn: Halbarad: If you could remember the stuff they said, you might have a chance, but... though you are sure now that Anyin said, "I know, I know!"

[22:18] Rez: "Not a clue what you just said.  Do you know any other languages?"

[22:18] Brian: "Well, okay," Brian says in English.  "That's going to make us stand out anyway."  He looks down at his shirt.  "Though, that will too, I think."

[22:18] Brian: "Um, I think so.  Hang on...."

[22:19] Halbarad: "Hmm..." Tim also tries a language he should not know! "Does this make sense to either of you guys?" he says in Yagish.

[22:19] Brian: tries a phrase in Garnian and Yagish: "There is a rhinocerous in my apartment."

[22:20] Brian: Then, for good measure, he spits it out in Russian, even though it's the only Russian phrase he knows.

[22:20] Halbarad: "Got the first two, the last one's Greek to me. And how the hell do you feed it?"

[22:20] Rez: "I got the first two."

[22:20] Bjorn: Halbarad, Rez: make AM checks.

[22:21] Brian: "That was Russian."  Brian frowns.  "My accent could have been off, though.  Well, that's great.  We don't know if they're trade languages or what, though."

[22:21] Halbarad: roll 3d6

[22:21] Hatbot: --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 and gets 6." [3d6=3, 2, 1]

[22:21] Rez: roll 3d6

[22:21] Hatbot: --> "Rez rolls 3d6 and gets 10." [3d6=2, 2, 6]

[22:21] Halbarad: "Best we stay quiet until we hear others talk, would be my suggestion."

[22:22] Bjorn: Garnian is the language of the humans who live in the western mountains, the children of Garn.  This is where the Crafters come from.  The Yagish is spoken by the steppes tribes of the east.  Yrisian, which Brian didn't say anything in, is spoken by the children of Yris, who are few in number but are the ruling family, and is the de facto trade language.

[22:23] Brian: "I'll agree.  So....  You guys can shake if you want, but more complete introductions, or something?  So, what should we know about eachother?  Obviously we've got some things in common; we talked to that woman, we all speak English, we all got ... here ... at roughly the same time...."

[22:25] Halbarad: "I guess about each other first," Tim says after a moment of thought. "Might as well find out who we're traveling with."

[22:26] Rez blinks at Tim. "Each other first? Huh?"

[22:26] Brian: "Well, uh ... okay.  What do you want to know?"

[22:28] Halbarad: "Well, I guess I'll go first. Name's Tim Maus, been working in a tech support center for about two years now. Was trying to get back to college, though, which is what got me in this mess in the first place."

[22:28] Halbarad: "Although I express no sorrow at the fact that I'm not going to make it into work on my day off." He smirks at that.

[22:29] Brian: "Sounds familiar," Brian murmurs.  "Well, kinda the same story for me.  So, I'm Brian Randall.  I work in a bookstore in California -- sunny Mountain View, just south of the bay.  I'm trying to get through college, too."

[22:29] Rez: "Fun.  Nathan Shuker, I'm Australian, I do a bunch of contract programming, and was thinking of going off and studying teaching.  I also do a lot of gaming, which is where I met that lady."

[22:29] Brian blinks and stares at Nathan.

[22:29] Rez blinks. Twice. "Oh you have got to be kidding me."

[22:29] Brian: "Rez?"

[22:30] Halbarad stares at Brian. "You're kidding, right?"

[22:30] Rez: ". . . that would be me."

[22:30] Halbarad glances over at Rez as well.

[22:31] Brian: "N...no.  Wait.  Oh, this is unreal."  Brian nervously fidgets with his bracelet.  "Wow.  Uh.  Nice to meet you guys."

[22:32] Halbarad: "Uh... yeah," Tim says, scratching the back of his head. "Man, it's weird enough meeting people off the net in the real world, this is just..."

[22:32] Brian: "...like that game I ran?"

[22:32] Rez points at Brian, trying not to laugh. "So if you're here, who's GMing this debacle?"

[22:32] Brian: "People melting on contact?  I'm going to say Dracos with a capital 'D'."

[22:34] Rez: "Ha."

[22:35] Brian sobers quickly. "Though ... if you think about it ... since anyone could have read our game, if there was anyone like in our game in the real world, they might have thought we were just perfectly obedient sheep lining ourselves up for a project or something. Hell, we pretend this all the time, so we should be able to ... uh ... _do_ it when the time comes, right?"

[22:36] Rez: "Well.  No."

[22:37] Brian: "Was worth a shot," Brian comments wryly.

[22:39] Rez: "Mmm,"  Rez frowns, "Well.  Not coincidental."

[22:40] Brian nods thoughtfully.

[22:40] Halbarad: "Doesn't look that way, no," Tim agrees. "Why us, though?"

[22:41] Brian: "Is it completely insane to suggest that someone on the Soulriders web-board probably picked us, for some reason?"

[22:41] Rez: "No more insaner than us being here, nope."

[22:41] Rez: "Did I just say 'no more insaner'?"

[22:41] Halbarad: "You did."

[22:42] Brian: "In Yrisian, no less."

[22:42] Halbarad: "Look on the bright side, it wasn't 'slimey lizard' at least."

[22:43] Rez: snickers.

[22:43] Rez: "So.  What's the plan?"

[22:43] Brian: "Huh."  Shaking his head, Brian tries to reach out with his senses, checking to see if there's anyone within the range he can reach on the wind.

[22:44] Brian: roll 3d6-2 to sense things

[22:44] Hatbot: --> "Brian rolls 3d6-2 to sense things and gets 11." [3d6=4, 5, 4]

[22:45] Halbarad: "Food, water, and a place to sleep would be my suggestion."

[22:46] Bjorn: There's nothing that you can hear, at least alive.  You can hear running water in all directions, however.

[22:47] Rez: "Food we have."

[22:47] Brian: "Water's all around," Brian says, shrugging.  "In any direction.  I think we'd be most shielded from the wind this way, if we're sticking around."  He points.

[22:48] Halbarad: "Sounds good to me." Tim grabs one of the packs and starts off in the direction indicated.

[22:49] Bjorn: The most shielded direction is westwards, into what was likely the heart of Primhaem.  Brian can also tell that the running water in that direction is the largest of the bodies.

[22:49] Brian pauses to collect the bow and arrows. "You don't suppose these are too obviously Fae, do you?"

[22:50] Bjorn: For all the decay and vegetation, it's pretty easy going.  The roads were packed dirt, not paved, but they're still pretty easy going.

[22:51] Bjorn: As you get closer to the heart, the building start getting taller, and also less damaged.  They don't seem very sophisticated in construction, though mostly stonework.

[22:51] Rez takes the Viking's broadsword - and sheath, if he has one - and grabs the other pack.

[22:51] Halbarad: "Fae or not, I wouldn't leave them behind - if you know how to use them, anyway."

[22:51] Brian: "I, uh ... well, I used a bow in scouts, but that was years ago.  At the same time, they'll do more help with me then stuck here."

[22:53] Bjorn: Brian: the bow is, well, a bow, you guess.  Simple oak shaft, twisted gut string.  The arrows are similarly standard construction, though the arrowheads are a mixture of bone and bronze, not iron.

[22:53] Rez: "Mm, but the fae would have known."

[22:54] Brian: "Well, I'm not a crack shot, but I'm sure if I had to I could hunt."

[22:54] Halbarad: "Guess that just leaves shelter." Tim starts to look around for anything that might serve - buildings that aren't too ruined, hopefully.

[22:55] Rez: "Mm."

[22:55] Rez sighs.

[22:56] Rez: "I'm going to need that armour," he drops the pack on the ground roughly, not having moved yet, and stares at the viking on the ground.

[22:57] Brian: "So," Brian says, moving to try and help Rez with the difficult manuevering of full-plate-and-dead-guy, "I don't really remember a bunch in the way of facts or anything.  Do either of you know about the history of this place?"

[22:59] Bjorn: Brian, Rez: please roll DEX.

[22:59] Rez: roll 3d6

[22:59] Hatbot: --> "Rez rolls 3d6 and gets 11." [3d6=4, 4, 3]

[22:59] Brian: roll 3d6 for dex

[22:59] Hatbot: --> "Brian rolls 3d6 for dex and gets 8." [3d6=3, 2, 3]

[22:59] Brian: Pass by two.

[23:00] Bjorn: Nathan fails by one.

[23:01] Bjorn: Yanking at one of the buckles, it suddenly comes free.  This sends him sprawling, right into Brian.

[23:02] Bjorn: Despite the sudden contact between Brian and Nathan, nobody dies, goes into seizures, or acquires new voices in their head.

[23:03] Rez: "Gaaah!  Sorry!"

[23:04] Brian: "Yeah, yeah...."  Brian heaves a sigh of relief that nothing happened.  Of course, everyone _did_ land on him, and nothing happened _then_, so....

[23:04] Brian: "You okay?"

[23:08] Rez: "Yeah, I'm fine.  Sorry."'

Halbarad

[11:12] <@Bjorn> The plan, as I understand it, was that you guys were going to move to the water-access statue, get some water to drink, etc, and then camp for the night.  During that time, Nathan was going to refit his armour to properly fit him.
[11:12] <@Bjorn> Am I correct in these various and sundry details?
[11:12] <@Halbarad> Sounds right to me.
[11:13] <@Brian> Agreed.
[11:14] <@Bjorn> Any desire to roleplay any aspect of all this?  Or shall we being with a "The next morning"?
[11:14] <@Halbarad> I'm good for the timeskippy.
[11:15] <@Brian> Next morning.
[11:15] <@Bjorn> The next morning, you're woken up as the sun breaks over the trees and stabs straight into your eyes.
[11:16] <@Brian> "Nnng."
[11:16] <@Bjorn> It's a bit eerie -- there's still no sound of animals.  No birdcalls, no insect rustles, nothing but the rush of water and wind in trees.
[11:16] * @Brian rolls over, shivering slightly.
[11:16] <@Bjorn> For which you should be grateful, as it's really bloody early.
[11:16] * @Halbarad mumbles something incoherent, stretching uncomfortably as the sun smacks him in the face like a baseball bat.
[11:17] <@Bjorn> Nathan, apparently, is undisturbed, sleeping on his face as he is.
[11:18] * @Halbarad sits up with a grimace, trying to get the knots out of his back - sleeping on lumpy ground is not his idea of a fun and orthopedic experience. He blinks several times as he tries to get his bearings, finally looking around to check out whether the other two are awake yet.
[11:18] <@Bjorn> You're a bit hungry, though not as much as you might have been -- being cold and sleeping on the ground seems to curb the appetite a little.
[11:19] <@Brian> "Well, that probably rules out the 'dream' theory."
[11:19] * @Brian eyes Nathan for a moment, but decides against waking him up. He stayed up late playing with his armor.
[11:21] <@Brian> "So," Brian says with a yawn, "what's the plan for today?"
[11:22] <@Halbarad> "Good question. While it looks peaceful enough around here, hanging around probably isn't going to do us much good either. Problem is I have no idea where else to go." Tim thinks for a moment, poking at that bundle of memories for anything about geography.
[11:22] <@Halbarad> 3d6 for the memories thing!
[11:23] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 for the memories thing! and gets 3." [3d6=1, 1, 1]
[11:23] <@Brian> While Halbarad looks busy trying to pull answers from his hat, Brian searches around for any climbable structures to survey the area, possibly to see if there's anything across the river.  Lake.  Whichever.
[11:24] <@Bjorn> The voice in your head reminds you that you're in the ruins of what was once Primhaem, the first home of man in this world.  Primhaem is built on a semi-island; there's a ford connecting to the mainland on the west wise of the city.
[11:25] <@Bjorn> Primhaem is... south of where mankind has fled, and now resides.
[11:25] <@Bjorn> If you follow the river north, you'll be at the Hold.
[11:25] <@Bjorn> And then you lose the voice again.
[11:26] <@Halbarad> "Well, I think I know how to get back to civilization from here. No idea how far, but we're on a sort of island here, and there are cities to the north once we get off the island."
[11:26] <@Bjorn> Hello
[11:29] <@Bjorn> There's a few buildings around, but they're not in very good shape, nor were they all that tall to begin with.  The tallest looks like it was perhaps three stories.
[11:29] <@Brian> "An island, eh?  I always had a plan to move from small, rainy island, to small, rainy island.  Problem is, no one in Scotland needs to learn English."
[11:29] <@Brian> "'Least, not to hear them say it."
[11:30] <@Bjorn> The buildings seem to be made of block-and-mortar construction, but the mortar is not holding up.
[11:30] <@Bjorn> Nothing is elaborate -- no architectural flair at all.  It reminds you somewhat of photos you've seen of ancient Mayan ruins -- just prototypical rock buildings.
[11:31] <@Halbarad> "Och, laddie, dinnae ye speak English yersel'?" Tim grins, making a passable imitation of a Scottish accent. "I was always more interested in heading to Japan myself, but oh well."
[11:31] <@Bjorn> The statue was probably the tallest and best-carved stonework in the city, but it's not much good for a vantage point nowadays.
[11:31] <@Bjorn> The trees are all willows and birches, too -- not enough to support your weight.
[11:31] <@Brian> "That was on my list.  Then again, I always wanted to see ruins up close.  Like maybe Angkor Wat.  This wasn't quite what I expected.  North, you say?  Do you suppose they've got any inns or....  Say, do we have any money?"
[11:32] * @Brian checks his pockets, but finds only seventy six cents, US, and eighty dollars in twenties.
[11:33] <@Halbarad> "Depends on what they use for money, or if they even DO use money. Could be all barter here or something." Tim shrugs. "But yeah. We'll need to head west to get off the island, then north to someplace called the Hold."
[11:33] <@Bjorn> It strikes both of you at this point that none of the languages you've just learned even have words for "money."
[11:35] * @Brian knocks on Nathan's armor.
[11:35] <@Rez> "Whaaaat."
[11:35] <@Brian> "Wakey-wakey."
[11:35] <@Rez> "I'm awake."
[11:36] * @Rez doesn't move.
[11:36] <@Bjorn> Everyone please make a PER check.  Not hearing or sight based.
[11:36] <@Brian> roll 3d6
[11:36] * +Hatbot --> "Brian rolls 3d6 and gets 17." [3d6=5, 6, 6]
[11:36] <@Halbarad> roll 3d6
[11:36] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 and gets 13." [3d6=2, 5, 6]
[11:39] <@Rez> roll 3d6
[11:39] * +Hatbot --> "Rez rolls 3d6 and gets 13." [3d6=5, 2, 6]
[11:40] <@Bjorn> Well, you all failed.
[11:40] <@Rez> We hate you too.
[11:40] <@Bjorn> No, wait.
[11:40] <@Bjorn> * Rez passed.  Barely.
[11:40] <@Rez> Friend. Buddy!  Pal.
[11:40] <@Bjorn> Nathan feels a tiny shudder.
[11:43] <@Brian> "So, why aren't you getting up?"
[11:44] <@Halbarad> "We can hunt for coffee beans this morning, if that'll help."
[11:45] <@Rez> "Ah . . . guys - quiet one second."
[11:45] <@Halbarad> "Hmm?" Tim raises an eyebrow.
[11:45] * @Brian blinks, raising an eyebrow at the still prone Nathan. He turns to Tim, and whispers, "Is he always this hard to wake up?"
[11:46] <@Halbarad> "Beats me, this my first time meeting him too." Tim whispers back.
[11:46] * @Rez picks himself up a bit, and puts his ear to the ground. "Please?"
[11:46] * @Brian shrugs and spreads his arms.
[11:47] * @Halbarad shakes his head, going to check on his pack.
[11:47] <@Bjorn> It's a good thing Brian does, as it makes it much easier to windmill his arms and catch his balance when the ground suddenly heaves, smashing Nathan right in the ear.
[11:48] <@Rez> "AAAAGH, GOD &#@%ING DAMMIT!"
[11:48] * @Rez doesn't appreciate this sort of thing when waking up.
[11:48] <@Bjorn> Not fifty feet away, in the heart of the ruins, the ground surges again, and then bubbles, paving stones cracking and dirt spouting out of the air.
[11:49] <@Halbarad> "What the hell?!" Tim says lurching forward in mid-step as the ground spasms.
[11:49] <@Brian> "Time to get up now," Brian says, trying to haul Nathan upright after he recovers his footing.  "Point the way out, Fearless Leader!"
[11:49] <@Bjorn> The bubble falls back, and something... like a massive bulldog crossed with a komodo dragon, made of stone stuck together with seething lava, slowly drags itself free of the ground.
[11:51] * @Halbarad glances around quickly, pointing the direction west as soon as he gets his bearings. "The way off the island is this way! Come on!" He waits for the others to get moving before taking off himself, though.
[11:51] <@Brian> "Yeah, this is really good," Brian mutters, keeping an eye on the ... thing.  
[11:51] <@Bjorn> West is through the... thing.
[11:52] <@Halbarad> "Well, that's helpful," Tim says, deflating a bit. "No idea how fast it is, either. Do we fight it or try to get around it?"
[11:52] <@Bjorn> Which is now almost free of the earth -- hind legs alone still trapped.  The heat blasts at you, feeling like blistering sunburn as it shakes his head savagely in effort.
[11:56] <@Bjorn> * feeling like a blowdryer
[11:57] <@Brian> "Run, run far away," Brian declares, turning to do just that, before realizing that Nathan will probably want help carrying his armor.
[11:58] * @Rez jumps forward to grab for his armour.
[11:58] <@Rez> "I need this stuff, li'l help!"
[11:59] <@Bjorn> Reminder of the physical scene.  To the east of you is the river, with a steep, probably slippery bank down it.  To the south is the path that you took last night, along the river bank -- as you remember, it's a bit treacherous.  The north is pretty much the same, from what you can see.
[11:59] <@Bjorn> To the west is the city ruins and the fiery rock thing.
[12:01] * @Halbarad grabs both Nathan's pack and his own. "Um... where?"
[12:02] <@Brian> Brian starts grabbing bunches of the armor, throwing one arm through his bow so it'll hang over a shoulder and he can hurryhurryhurry.  "There's a bridge, right?" he asks quickly.  "Let's go there!  Maybe it'll fall through or something."
[12:03] * @Rez grabs the sword and the rest of the armour, then looks at Hal. "If you know which way, move!"
[12:04] <@Halbarad> "This way, just be careful!" Tim starts off towards the south at a jog, keeping an eye back over his shoulder at the other two in case it looks like they need help with the armor.
[12:05] <@Bjorn> The hellhound, or whatever it is, finally manages to pull its long, whiplike tail free, rocks caught on the barns flying through the air as it jerks loose.
[12:05] * @Rez runs after Halbarad, moving as quickly as he can with the weight.
[12:06] <@Bjorn> It's not as big as you first thought... perhaps five foot tall at the shoulder.  But it's almost as wide, too, and it raizes its flat muzzle to the air to snuffle horribly.
[12:07] <@Bjorn> You can remember the path to the south, and so it's not bad going, even almost tripping over yourselves as you are.
[12:08] * @Rez supposes that this is why nobody bloody comes here.
[12:08] <@Bjorn> But it doesn't take Brian's sharp hearing to tell that the hellhound is moving after you.
[12:08] * @Halbarad looks for anything leading off to the west as they go, hoping that they can break past the mutt and hopefully get to the ford on the other side of the island.
[12:09] <@Bjorn> The crashing noises behind you suggest that it's not following the path, like you are -- it's simply bulldozing its way through the trees.   You think you might be gaining ground at the moment, though.
[12:10] <@Bjorn> Tim: in about two more minutes of running, you'll find the main thoroughfare that you followed down to the water's edge last night, if you recall correctly.
[12:10] * @Rez risks a look behind him.
[12:11] * @Brian can hear it perfectly fine, thanks..
[12:12] <@Bjorn> Willows are thin.  Even at this distance, you can see the flaming red of the creature's eyes, stabbing right through at you through the smoke pouring from its mouth.  Brian, now falling far behind Tim, has perhaps sixty feet on it.
[12:13] * @Halbarad keeps glancing back at the other two, slowing up a bit and letting Nathan pass him as he waits for Brian. "Main road, keep going!" he calls to Nathan as he passes.
[12:14] * @Rez is slowing down himself to not get far ahead of Brian, and doesn't answer.
[12:15] <@Brian> "Gah," Brian wheezes, trying to keep up.
[12:15] <@Bjorn> Each time, as the creature comes up to a tree in its way, it pauses to shoulder it hard, snapping it in half, as if it were a personal affront to the animal.
[12:15] * @Halbarad reaches out to Brian as he falls back to his position and starts to pace him. "Pass me the armor!"
[12:18] <@Brian> "Sure," Brian agrees, handing everything over.
[12:19] <@Brian> Once that's done, Brian gestures, muttering in that thick-sounding Fae tongue, sending a dust devil out to try and keep a blinding dust-cloud centered on the hellhound.
[12:21] <@Halbarad> As Brian does his magicky thing, Tim looks around for any thick sets of trees or other obstructions that they can put between themselves and the hound. If it takes its time to go through things rather than around them...
[12:21] <@Bjorn> It's hard to say exactly what that's accomplished; the beast makes no noise, and you can't see it very well through your own dust devil.  But it does seem to hesitate, as the crashing of trees seems to pause.
[12:23] <@Halbarad> "Least it slowed down!" Tim pants, still running along the path.
[12:23] <@Bjorn> Tim: You're just about at the thoroughfare, which is distressingly clear of obstructions.  There's the buildings -- they're stone, and the alleys between them are twisty at the best of times.  But conversely, those alleys are tight.
[12:24] * @Halbarad decides to take the main road, pulling ahead of the others a bit to lead the way. Better than getting lost in those alleys, at least unless they're forced to.
[12:26] <@Rez> "Down one of the alleys, I just need a moment with the armour!"
[12:27] * @Halbarad glances back to gauge how close the mutt's gotten since they started on the main thoroughfare before answering.
[12:28] <@Bjorn> Somehow it's started tracking you other than sight, you'd guess.  Rather than continuing down the path, it's cut off at an angle to come right towards y ou.
[12:29] <@Halbarad> "Do it, fast!" Tim calls back, trying to catch up a bit so he can deliver the rest of the armor. "Brian, think you can try slowing it down again if it gets too close?"
[12:29] <@Bjorn> This leads it straight into one of the largest buildings, which it promptly slams into.  You can hear the crumble and shatter of masonry, even though you can't see it through the dustclouds.
[12:29] <@Brian> "Yeah, why not?" Brian says in Fae, dropping his incantation.
[12:29] * @Brian lets the dust-devil vanish, since the creature is following anyway. Instead, on the chance that it's tracking by scent, he tries to create an updraft that carries their scene to the side of where they actually are.
[12:29] <@Bjorn> *scent
[12:29] * @Rez ducks a few yards into an alleyway, dropping the armour on the ground and trying to calm himself down. These buckles are complicated . . .
[12:30] <@Bjorn> roll 3d6 for per
[12:30] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 3d6 for per and gets 12." [3d6=4, 6, 2]
[12:30] * @Halbarad dumps the rest of the armor next to Nathan unceremoniously, then heads back out to help Brian if he needs it. Although he's not sure exactly what the hell he COULD do...
[12:30] <@Bjorn> The next wall to explode is off to the side a little.  It would appear it's fallen for Brian's ruse.
[12:31] <@Rez> roll 3d6 for Do Not Panic
[12:31] * +Hatbot --> "Rez rolls 3d6 for Do Not Panic and gets 9." [3d6=4, 1, 4]
[12:33] <@Bjorn> Nathan's mantra seems to work, and the buckles simply fly together.  You've just picked up your helmet as, with a howl of bone-grating frustration, the hellhound leaps into the air.
[12:34] <@Bjorn> It scrabbles at a half-collapsed wall, trying to keep itself at the top as its heads snaps from side to side, casting about for you.  The wall does finally give way, but not before it spots you again, flaming eyes slitted with hate.
[12:34] <@Rez> Nathan has a horrible mental blank as he realizes he's not really too sure how to do this, and hopes the voice is going to say something useful right about now.
[12:35] <@Bjorn> The crumble of the building on which it was precariously perched takes it away from your line of sight again, but you can hear it smashing through buildings in your direction.  It doesn't seem to be moving leisurely any more.
[12:35] * @Brian continues wearily plodding away, dropping the spell as it's too tiring to maintain while running.
[12:35] <@Bjorn> The voice says, "feel the iron."  And you're pretty sure you know what it means.
[12:38] * @Rez . . . feels the iron!
[12:39] <@Bjorn> The voice points out that this doesn't actually require that you grope your breastplate, it's more of a mental, metaphorical thing.
[12:40] <@Bjorn> But it's too late -- you can feel the armour shifting, and then pushing into you, going right down into your bones.  And at the same time, something comes to you as well, up through the earth.
[12:40] <@Bjorn> From the outside, it's as if Nathan turned into iron and swelled to be seven feet tall, the pavestones cracking under his feet.
[12:40] <@Halbarad> "Whoa..."
[12:42] <@Brian> Brian skids to a halt, finally catching up with everyone else.  Then he blinks and stares up at Rez.  And up.  And up.  "Damn."
[12:42] * @Rez tries to move, as quickly as he can, betweeen the other two and the hellhound.
[12:42] <@Bjorn> Another ear-splitting crash, and this one you can feel through the ground.  You've got perhaps a minute tops before the hellhound is on top of you.
[12:45] <@Brian> After recovering his breath, Brian moves to one side, so he'll have a clear shot.  Not that he expects one of his arrows to do more than bounce off of Nathan.  Then he reaches out with his hearing, trying to pinpoint the dogstrosity.
[12:45] * @Halbarad quickly digs through his pack for the knife he got from Brian last night, although how much good it's going to do him is anyone's guess.
[12:46] * @Rez readies his sword, it being the only thing he's still lugging with him!
[12:50] <@Bjorn> The hellhound breaks through the last wall between you and it just as Brian reaches out to find it with hearing.  It's about 20 feet away.
[12:50] <@Bjorn> Brian gets a shot of opportunity, and then we go to combat time. :D
[12:52] * @Brian fires!
[12:52] <@Brian> +1 to DC
[12:52] <@Brian> roll 3d6 to hit
[12:52] * +Hatbot --> "Brian rolls 3d6 to hit and gets 15." [3d6=6, 5, 4]
[12:57] <@Bjorn> The shock of the thing's reappearance threw Brian off, and the arrow goes wide, slicing past into the building beyond.
[12:59] <@Bjorn> And here we go into combat time.
[12:59] <@Bjorn> The first to go is Tim.
[12:59] <@Bjorn> Phase 3.
[13:02] <@Halbarad> Holding my action for now.
[13:02] <@Bjorn> Next up, phase 4 and the beastie.
[13:03] <@Bjorn> Which prompty does what it seems to do best, which is charge right towards you and slam into Nathan.
[13:03] <@Rez> Ow.
[13:03] <@Bjorn> Any actions taken?
[13:03] <@Rez> I abort to block.  Or try.
[13:04] <@Bjorn> Okay.
[13:05] <@Bjorn> Roll your block.
[13:05] <@Rez> roll 3d6 For Blockage!
[13:05] * +Hatbot --> "Rez rolls 3d6 For Blockage! and gets 11." [3d6=5, 1, 5]
[13:06] <@Bjorn> I will assume you put your CSL into OCV for this?
[13:06] <@Rez> Ah, yes.
[13:07] <@Bjorn> Too bad, it don't help none. :D
[13:07] <@Rez> Mm, relying on the PD already.
[13:07] <@Bjorn> Nathan's desperate attempt to get his sword between the hellhound and himself comes too little, too late, and the beast is already on top of him.
[13:07] <@Bjorn> roll 3d6 for attack
[13:07] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 3d6 for attack and gets 9." [3d6=3, 4, 2]
[13:07] <@Bjorn> roll 5d6
[13:07] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 5d6 and gets 15." [5d6=3, 1, 3, 4, 4]
[13:08] <@Bjorn> The beast doesn't bother with finesse or subtlety, simply ramming straight into Nathan's armoured chest.
[13:09] <@Bjorn> The impact staggers him, but isn't enough to move him.  Nathan takes 4 BODy and 15 STUN, before PD -- after PD, that works out to... 1 STUN.
[13:09] <@Rez> I could get used to this, I think.
[13:09] <@Bjorn> roll 2d6
[13:09] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 2d6 and gets 8." [2d6=4, 4]
[13:10] <@Bjorn> Even through the armour, Nathan can feel the burning heat of the magma, but it isn't enough to damage him.
[13:12] <@Bjorn> Halbarad: you want to use your held action?
[13:12] <@Halbarad> Yes.
[13:13] <@Bjorn> Feel free. :D
[13:13] * @Halbarad moves around Rez, attempting to stab the beast in the side after its assault on the Australian-turned-tin man.
[13:13] <@Halbarad> roll 3d6
[13:13] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 and gets 7." [3d6=1, 1, 5]
[13:14] <@Bjorn> That hits.  Roll for damage.
[13:17] <@Halbarad> roll 1d6+1
[13:17] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 1d6+1 and gets 2." [1d6=1]
[13:19] <@Bjorn> roll 1d6-1
[13:19] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 1d6-1 and gets 2." [1d6=3]
[13:20] <@Bjorn> Tim's swing goes wide, as the beast rolls to the far side after sliding off Nathan.
[13:21] <@Bjorn> Okay.  Phase 6.  Speeds 4 and 2.
[13:21] <@Bjorn> Hal gets to go first.
[13:26] * @Halbarad follows up, cursing slightly at his failure to even hit the dumb dog. "Hold still, dammit!"
[13:26] <@Halbarad> roll 3d6
[13:26] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 and gets 11." [3d6=5, 4, 2]
[13:27] <@Bjorn> A hit!
[13:27] <@Bjorn> Roll for damage.
[13:28] <@Halbarad> roll 1d6+1
[13:28] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 1d6+1 and gets 7." [1d6=6]
[13:28] <@Bjorn> roll 1d6-1
[13:28] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 1d6-1 and gets 0." [1d6=1]
[13:29] <@Bjorn> The knife flickers in below the shoulder of the beast.  It's not clear exactly what it does, but from the way its head whips around, it's not too happy about that.
[13:29] <@Bjorn> roll 2d6
[13:29] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 2d6 and gets 4." [2d6=2, 2]
[13:30] <@Bjorn> But having your hand that close to the beast *hurts.*  When you've pulled you back, your knuckles are scorched and blistered.  (Take 2 STUN).
[13:30] <@Bjorn> Next up would be Nathan, but he aborted his action to Block.
[13:31] <@Bjorn> Brian!
[13:31] <@Brian> Do I have a clear shot?
[13:32] <@Bjorn> Yes.  Unless you fumble really badly, in which case Nathan gets acupuncture.
[13:32] <@Brian> Not with his hide.  I'm firing!  Bone arrow, this time.
[13:32] <@Brian> +1 still to DC.
[13:32] <@Brian> roll 3d6 for hittitude
[13:32] * +Hatbot --> "Brian rolls 3d6 for hittitude and gets 12." [3d6=4, 3, 5]
[13:33] <@Bjorn> Just not your day -- your newly found skill with a longbow seems to be arguing with your old experiences with a composite.  Again, the arrow flies high and wide.
[13:33] <@Bjorn> Phase 8, Hellhound again.  
[13:34] <@Bjorn> Rearing onto its hind legs, it lunges, jaws gaping, at Rez.
[13:34] <@Bjorn> Rez, you going to try blocking again?
[13:35] <@Rez> Not going to bother, I'll just trust the armour and hopefully it won't hurt too much.
[13:35] <@Bjorn> roll 3d6
[13:35] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 3d6 and gets 12." [3d6=2, 6, 4]
[13:36] <@Bjorn> A hit!
[13:36] <@Bjorn> roll 2d6
[13:36] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 2d6 and gets 5." [2d6=2, 3]
[13:36] <@Bjorn> roll 1d6-1
[13:36] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 1d6-1 and gets 0." [1d6=1]
[13:37] <@Bjorn> It snaps at Nathan's throat, but twisting, he manages to divert it to his shoulder, and its teeth slide off with a hideous squeal.
[13:37] <@Bjorn> roll 2d6
[13:37] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 2d6 and gets 6." [2d6=3, 3]
[13:37] <@Bjorn> No heat damage, either.
[13:37] <@Rez> This is good.
[13:38] <@Rez> I think I like being invulnerable.
[13:38] <@Bjorn> Next up, phase 9.
[13:38] <@Bjorn> Hal!
[13:39] * @Halbarad moves in once more, trying for a slashing attack this time - hopefully he can get his hand out of the way before he gets burned, this time!
[13:39] <@Halbarad> roll 3d6
[13:39] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 and gets 12." [3d6=3, 3, 6]
[13:39] <@Bjorn> Another hit.
[13:40] <@Halbarad> roll 1d6+1
[13:41] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 1d6+1 and gets 2." [1d6=1]
[13:41] <@Bjorn> roll 1d6-1
[13:41] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 1d6-1 and gets 5." [1d6=6]
[13:41] <@Bjorn> Again, the knife skitters off the creature's hide.
[13:41] <@Bjorn> Round 12.
[13:42] <@Bjorn> Hal again. :D
[13:43] * @Halbarad grits his teeth, once again attempting to strike at the hellhound. Damn thing's practically made of rock...
[13:43] <@Halbarad> roll 3d6
[13:43] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 and gets 10." [3d6=6, 2, 2]
[13:43] <@Bjorn> A hit again.
[13:43] <@Halbarad> roll 1d6+1
[13:43] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 1d6+1 and gets 2." [1d6=1]
[13:43] <@Bjorn> Dude.
[13:43] * @Bjorn will not roll for stun multiplier, as it can't do anything.
[13:44] <@Bjorn> Next us is the hellhound, which again lunges, jaws gaping, at Nathan.
[13:44] <@Bjorn> Aborting, Rez?
[13:45] <@Rez> Nope.  I'll just soak it.
[13:45] <@Bjorn> roll 3d6
[13:45] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 3d6 and gets 10." [3d6=2, 6, 2]
[13:45] <@Bjorn> roll 2d6
[13:45] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 2d6 and gets 7." [2d6=2, 5]
[13:45] <@Bjorn> roll 1d6-1
[13:45] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 1d6-1 and gets 4." [1d6=5]
[13:46] <@Bjorn> This time the thing's jaws clamp about Nathan's face.  Once again, they slide off before he can take any real damage, but it's definitely disconcerting.  (Take 14 STUN).
[13:47] <@Bjorn> Now, Rez gets to counterattack.
[13:47] <@Bjorn> Well, just attack, but it looks like a counter. :P
[13:47] <@Rez> That freaking -hurt-.
[13:48] <@Rez> I put my +1 on OCV and try to hit it back.
[13:48] <@Rez> roll 3d6 for Die, evil fire-dog-thing!
[13:48] * +Hatbot --> "Rez rolls 3d6 for Die, evil fire-dog-thing! and gets 15." [3d6=6, 3, 6]
[13:49] <@Bjorn> Still staggering from the attack on his face, Nathan's attack is not much more than a poorly directed swipe, and it misses completely.
[13:49] <@Bjorn> Brian!
[13:50] <@Brian> I fire again!
[13:50] <@Brian> roll 3d6 for further hittitude
[13:50] * +Hatbot --> "Brian rolls 3d6 for further hittitude and gets 11." [3d6=1, 4, 6]
[13:51] <@Bjorn> Still aiming high, it looks like.
[13:51] <@Bjorn> Okay.  Everyone takes a recovery, and then onto the next round.
[13:51] <@Bjorn> And it's... Hal's turn again.
[13:53] <@Halbarad> Seeing that the knife isn't doing so well against the mutt, and that Nathan doesn't seem to be TOO terribly affected by the heat, he calls over to the tin man. "Nathan! Let me use that sword, and see if you can keep it tied up!"
[13:57] <@Halbarad> Holding my action for now.
[13:57] <@Bjorn> Next up is hellhound, which seems determined to chew up Rez.
[13:57] <@Bjorn> roll 3d6
[13:57] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 3d6 and gets 7." [3d6=1, 4, 2]
[13:57] <@Bjorn> roll 2d6
[13:57] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 2d6 and gets 5." [2d6=3, 2]
[13:57] <@Bjorn> roll 1d6-1
[13:57] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 1d6-1 and gets 4." [1d6=5]
[13:58] <@Bjorn> This time it's the beast's claws, raking at Nathan's chest.  Still, no permanent damage (6 STUN).
[13:58] <@Bjorn> Okay.  Round 6.
[13:58] <@Bjorn> Hal's turn, and thus he loses his held action.
[13:59] <@Halbarad> Still holding my action, waiting for Rez to do whatever he's gonna do.
[13:59] * @Bjorn nods.
[13:59] <@Bjorn> Rez?
[14:00] * @Rez waves his hand at Halbarad and shakes his head, and then tries hitting the hellhound again.
[14:02] <@Rez> roll 3d6 for Sword Hittage
[14:02] * +Hatbot --> "Rez rolls 3d6 for Sword Hittage and gets 8." [3d6=6, 1, 1]
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Halbarad

[11:11] <@Bjorn> Okay.
[11:12] <@Bjorn> I don't remember exactly where we were, though I do have the sheets listing how much damage you'd done. :D
[11:12] <@Rez> Did you bring the fire?
[11:12] <@Bjorn> So we'll start at the beginning of a new turn.
[11:12] <@Rez> I lost my notes on where my end and stun were at . . .
[11:12] <@Rez> Aww, but I'd -hit- the guy!  I just didn't get to roll damage! >:P
[11:13] <@Bjorn> You'd taken pretty much no damage, so you guys get END/STUN/BODy etc. healed for free. The Hellhound does not get this courtesy. :D
[11:13] <@Bjorn> And I remind you all that I'm rusty at the rules, so if you think I've forgotten something, don't hesitate to speak up.
[11:13] <@Bjorn> Okay!
[11:14] <@Bjorn> The Hellhound is face to face with Nathan, who is in his Crafter form.  Tim is a little off to one side, and Brian is to the other side and behind Nathan.
[11:14] <@Bjorn> Segment three: Tim's action!
[11:14] <@Halbarad> I'm looking for a rock. A big rock.
[11:15] <@Bjorn> You have your choice.  The Hellhound bursting through a wall generated lots of rubble.
[11:16] <@Halbarad> I shall take one about the size of my head, then, and throw it at yon firemutt. Assuming I can get all that in one action.
[11:16] <@Halbarad> If not, I'll just grab it now.
[11:16] <@Bjorn> You can do it all in one go.
[11:16] <@Bjorn> Roll your attack.
[11:17] <@Halbarad> roll 3d6 for attack?
[11:17] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 for attack? and gets 10." [3d6=1, 3, 6]
[11:20] <@Bjorn> Okay.  You hit!
[11:20] <@Bjorn> Roll for damage.
[11:20] <@Halbarad> roll 7d6 for damage
[11:20] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 7d6 for damage and gets 26." [7d6=6, 3, 2, 1, 6, 3, 5]
[11:21] <@Bjorn> The shot thumps solidly into the head of the hound, staggering it briefly.  It doesn't seem to have done any major damage, but it's definitely disoriented.
[11:22] <@Bjorn> Segment 4, Hellhound's turn.
[11:23] <@Bjorn> It shakes its head and lunges for Nathan's throat.
[11:23] <@Bjorn> roll 3d6 for attack
[11:23] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 3d6 for attack and gets 13." [3d6=6, 5, 2]
[11:23] <@Rez> Why me?
[11:23] <@Halbarad> You look like a chewtoy.
[11:24] <@Bjorn> roll 2d6
[11:24] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 2d6 and gets 7." [2d6=3, 4]
[11:25] <@Bjorn> roll 1d6-1 for stun multiplier
[11:25] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 1d6-1 for stun multiplier and gets 4." [1d6=5]
[11:26] <@Bjorn> The jaws slam shut on Nathan's throat.  The bite is not enough to actually break the iron hide, but it does work as a rather nasty headbutt.  Nathan takes 14 STUN.
[11:26] <@Bjorn> Next up: Segment 6!
[11:26] <@Bjorn> Hal gets the first attack.
[11:28] <@Halbarad> "Hey, back off!" Tim looks for a rather LARGER rock this time, something that he can hopefully use as a club - even if a really awkward one.
[11:29] <@Halbarad> Holding action once I've got my big-ass rock readied.
[11:30] <@Bjorn> One rock near your feet was probably a cobble-stone -- it's about the size of a dinner plate, and the same general shape.  You could probably use it as a nasty improvised axe.
[11:30] <@Bjorn> Okay.  Tim's action held, rock in hand!
[11:30] <@Bjorn> Next up is Nathan.
[11:30] <@Rez> I am going to bra^H^H^H try and hit it with my sword.  In the face!
[11:31] <@Bjorn> I assume this is generally descriptive, and not a called shot.
[11:31] <@Bjorn> Roll to attack!  You take a +2 hit penalty for the extreme close range -- no place to swing your sword.
[11:32] <@Rez> Generally descriptive.  I mean, the face is preferable, but I don't actually think I'm competent enough to actually get the sword anywhere near it . . .
[11:32] <@Rez> roll 3d6 with OCV 4
[11:32] * +Hatbot --> "Rez rolls 3d6 with OCV 4 and gets 14." [3d6=5, 3, 6]
[11:33] <@Bjorn> The lava dog is just too close, and you're still not comfortable with the whole "having a seething being of partially contained fiery magma in your face" thing.  At this range, all you manage to do is ineffectually slam the hilt of your sword into its ear.
[11:33] <@Bjorn> Brian's turn!
[11:33] <@Rez> I suppose that's better than hitting -myself-.
[11:34] <@Brian> I am already braced and set, so I will attempt to ... shoot!
[11:34] <@Brian> My +1 is to DC, currently, my OCV is ... 2.
[11:34] <@Brian> roll 3d6 for attackage
[11:34] * +Hatbot --> "Brian rolls 3d6 for attackage and gets 15." [3d6=6, 4, 5]
[11:35] <@Bjorn> The arrow shoots off over the Hellhound's head.
[11:36] <@Bjorn> Off to Round 8, where the Hellhound gets to attack again.
[11:37] <@Bjorn> And it does what it seems bent on doing -- taking out Nathan.
[11:37] <@Bjorn> roll 3d6
[11:37] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 3d6 and gets 8." [3d6=1, 5, 2]
[11:37] <@Bjorn> roll 2d6 for damage
[11:37] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 2d6 for damage and gets 6." [2d6=4, 2]
[11:37] <@Bjorn> roll 1d5-1 for multiplier
[11:37] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 1d5-1 for multiplier and gets 3." [1d5=4]
[11:38] <@Bjorn> With Nathan's hand still pressed into its ear, the beast instinctively whips its head around and tries to savage Nathan's wrist.  Between the angle and the iron skin, it isn't very effective -- Nathan takes only 1 STUN.
[11:39] <@Bjorn> Okay.  Segment 9, Tim's turn.
[11:39] <@Halbarad> I hit the stupid thing with my Large Rock(tm). Very, very hard. (Haymaker)
[11:40] <@Bjorn> Okay.  The Haymaker will take effect at the end of the next segment.
[11:41] <@Halbarad> Thought I could use my held action from the last segment to cover that? Or only if I declare it then?
[11:42] <@Bjorn> Not as far as I know. o.O
[11:42] <@Bjorn> Regardless, the next segment is 10, and no one else acts then, so away you go. :P
[11:42] <@Halbarad> Heh.
[11:42] <@Halbarad> roll 3d6 with OCV 8, -2 for unfamiliar weapon
[11:42] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 with OCV 8, -2 for unfamiliar weapon and gets 11." [3d6=3, 5, 3]
[11:43] <@Bjorn> That hits!
[11:43] <@Bjorn> You get to roll 11d6 for damage. o.O
[11:43] <@Halbarad> roll 11d6 for the stars, seeing of!
[11:43] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 11d6 for the stars, seeing of! and gets 35." [11d6=1, 2, 6, 2, 6, 2, 1, 6, 3, 1, 5]
[11:46] <@Bjorn> That was a nasty hit -- the rock actually sinks into through the hardened crust that forms the thing's skin.  It makes the first noise you've heard it express since the battle begin, a nasty vicious growl.
[11:46] <@Bjorn> roll 2d6 for burns!
[11:46] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 2d6 for burns! and gets 7." [2d6=4, 3]
[11:47] <@Bjorn> But the hit comes at a price -- the magma spills out, and covers your hands. You take 4 STUN.
[11:48] <@Bjorn> Okay, it spots your hands. >.<
[11:48] <@Bjorn> All right.  Segment 12.
[11:48] <@Bjorn> Tim has first action.
[11:48] <@Halbarad> Did my rock survive that?
[11:48] <@Bjorn> It split, unfortunately.
[11:48] <@Halbarad> I shall seek another, then! And hit the thing with it. Standard strike this time, though.
[11:49] <@Halbarad> roll 3d6 for OCV 8 -2 unfamiliar yadda yadda
[11:49] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 for OCV 8 -2 unfamiliar yadda yadda and gets 9." [3d6=2, 4, 3]
[11:49] <@Bjorn> That would be a hit.  7d6 for damage again.
[11:49] <@Halbarad> 7d6 for the making of ouch
[11:49] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 7d6 for the making of ouch and gets 28." [7d6=1, 6, 5, 5, 3, 2, 6]
[11:50] <@Bjorn> Again, you manage to thump it in the head -- not enough to crack the skin, this time, but definitely enough to aggravate it.
[11:50] <@Bjorn> roll 2d6 for burns
[11:50] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 2d6 for burns and gets 8." [2d6=3, 5]
[11:51] <@Bjorn> Five STUN for you -- the heat is still pouring out around the crack you put into its skin.
[11:51] <@Bjorn> Next up is the lava beast, and it has apparently decided to reprioritize.  It pushes itself off Nathan and makes a lunge for Tim.
[11:52] <@Halbarad> Joy.
[11:52] <@Bjorn> Nathan -- if you want, I'll give you a chance to abort to Grab.
[11:52] <@Rez> I will do that!
[11:52] <@Rez> Or try to.
[11:52] <@Rez> Damn my crappy OCV . . . do I get the bonus because Hal's already hit it?
[11:52] <@Bjorn> You do.
[11:52] <@Rez> That will help a little.
[11:53] <@Bjorn> You need to roll 11 or less.
[11:53] <@Rez> roll 3d6 for Yoink!
[11:53] * +Hatbot --> "Rez rolls 3d6 for Yoink! and gets 15." [3d6=4, 6, 5]
[11:53] <@Bjorn> Or *less*.
[11:53] <@Rez> Nope, I suck.
[11:54] <@Bjorn> roll 3d6 for attacking Hal.
[11:54] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 3d6 for attacking Hal. and gets 12." [3d6=5, 6, 1]
[11:55] <@Bjorn> The light at the end of the tunnel -- in this case, the volcano at the bottom of a demon's throat -- paralyzes Tim, but his newfound reflexes don't fail him.  Faster than either Brian or Nathan's eyes can follow, Tim manages to dart to one side, letting the hound zip by.
[11:56] <@Bjorn> Okay.  Nathan just burnt his action, so next up is Brian.
[11:57] <@Brian> Running out of other ideas, I will accempt to use my environmental control to use wind to blind/baffle the lavadog, centered somewhere it won't directly effect Hal or Rez.
[11:58] <@Bjorn> The way things are positioned such that the hell hound has his back to you -- for the first time since the fight began, you have a clear shot at it, and it can't see you at all.  You think.
[11:59] <@Brian> Hmm.  Too tempting not to take.
[11:59] <@Brian> I will attempt to use my energy blast to hit it.  Maybe I can drive it into the lake.
[11:59] <@Brian> roll 3d6 for ranged attack of OCV 2 +1
[11:59] * +Hatbot --> "Brian rolls 3d6 for ranged attack of OCV 2 +1 and gets 9." [3d6=5, 3, 1]
[11:59] <@Bjorn> Roll your damage!
[12:00] <@Brian> roll 4d6
[12:00] * +Hatbot --> "Brian rolls 4d6 and gets 15." [4d6=6, 6, 2, 1]
[12:02] <@Bjorn> Brian can't help but feel a bit strange, waving his hands and mumbling in a foreign language, but the air coils and surges around him, and them rushes outwards in a visible column, slamming into the hell hound.
[12:03] <@Brian> "That's never actually worked before," Brian mumbles, anxiously looking for cover, should short, wide, and fiery decide he'd make a good target next.
[12:04] <@Bjorn> The blow slams into the thing's back, staggering it.  But more dramatically, as the air rushes over the super-heated stone that makes up the thing's body, you see steam rising in the air -- and then, with a resounding crack, the suddenly cooled stone splits, covering the dog's body in a network of cracks.
[12:05] <@Bjorn> Okay.  That was the end of segment 12.  Everyone takes a recovery.
[12:05] <@Bjorn> Next round again.  Hal's turn.
[12:06] * @Halbarad pats himself to make sure he's all there. "Why the hell am I not charcoal?"
[12:08] <@Halbarad> Holding action until before my next segment - more haymaker-y stuff!
[12:09] <@Bjorn> Okay.  Next up is Segment 4, and the dog goes again.
[12:10] <@Bjorn> It looks over its shoulder at Brian, quickly, but again it lunges for Tim.
[12:10] <@Bjorn> roll 3d6 for attack
[12:10] * +Hatbot --> "Bjorn rolls 3d6 for attack and gets 13." [3d6=6, 1, 6]
[12:10] <@Halbarad> Don't eat me, you wouldn't like me at all! Too stringy!
[12:10] <@Bjorn> Still, however, Tim is too quick, managing to throw himself out of the way.
[12:11] <@Bjorn> Okay.  Tim held until Segment 5, which is now.
[12:11] <@Bjorn> I assume he loads up for a Haymaker.
[12:11] <@Halbarad> I does.
[12:12] <@Bjorn> Okay.  Then we have Segment 6.
[12:14] <@Bjorn> Tim would go first, but he's winding up.
[12:14] <@Bjorn> It is now Nathan's turn to shine!
[12:15] <@Halbarad> Keep that iron body rust-free!
[12:16] <@Rez> Well.
[12:16] <@Rez> I guess I'm gonna try hitting it with the sword again!
[12:16] <@Rez> roll 3d6 for Optimism!
[12:16] * +Hatbot --> "Rez rolls 3d6 for Optimism! and gets 8." [3d6=2, 1, 5]
[12:16] <@Rez> OCV 4 . . . holy crap I might have actually landed one.
[12:16] <@Bjorn> That actually hits.  Roll your damage.
[12:17] <@Rez> roll 2d6
[12:17] * +Hatbot --> "Rez rolls 2d6 and gets 6." [2d6=3, 3]
[12:17] <@Rez> roll 1d6-1
[12:17] * +Hatbot --> "Rez rolls 1d6-1 and gets 2." [1d6=3]
[12:19] <@Bjorn> With space to swing, it's much easier to get your broadsword to connect -- and when it does, it shears through the weakened stone like it wasn't there.  The cut digs into the hell dog's flank.
[12:19] <@Bjorn> Brian's turn!
[12:20] <@Brian> Emboldened by the fact that it seems time to unleash some Italian-style karate on a dangerous (magical) foe, Brian tries his luck for another shot with that piercing wind.
[12:20] <@Brian> roll 3d6 for magical muckamuckery
[12:20] * +Hatbot --> "Brian rolls 3d6 for magical muckamuckery and gets 14." [3d6=5, 4, 5]
[12:22] <@Bjorn> The wind comes as called, but Nathan's sudden sword swing introduces gusts that Brian hadn't expected, and wasn't able to compensate for.  The air-ram slams into the ground, just shy of the dog.
[12:22] <@Bjorn> Hal gets to go with his haymaker.
[12:22] * @Halbarad unloads a very large rock on a very brittle mutt at a very high speed.
[12:22] <@Halbarad> roll 3d6
[12:22] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 3d6 and gets 14." [3d6=6, 5, 3]
[12:22] <@Bjorn> A hit.
[12:23] <@Halbarad> roll 11d6 for Bad dog! No biscuit!
[12:23] * +Hatbot --> "Halbarad rolls 11d6 for Bad dog! No biscuit! and gets 41." [11d6=4, 2, 6, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3]
[12:24] <@Bjorn> This hit is as solid as the last one -- but the hound isn't.
[12:26] <@Bjorn> Where the last blow broke the rock shell, this one hits the network of cracks that Brian's magic left behind.  Only by jumping backwards violently is Tim able to save himself from the cascades of magma that come pouring out as hound crumbles.
[12:27] <@Brian> After a moment of staring stupidly, Brian whoops out a cheer and jumps into the air.  "We kick ass!"
[12:27] * @Halbarad just falls flat on his butt and stares at the slowly-widening pool of magma. "I did NOT just do that..."
[12:27] <@Brian> "Is everyone okay?  Nathan, are you, uh, stuck that way?"
[12:27] <@Bjorn> The magma cools unnaturally quickly.  In only seconds, there is no sign of lava -- just a statue of a demonic canine, split in half and raising its head in anguished rage.
[12:31] * @Rez shakes his head, but doesn't answer (and can't!)
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.