News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Reprise! Act 1!

Started by Carthrat, September 16, 2003, 12:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rezantis

"No, really.  That's actually how you spell it's name.  The letters are in high enochian, and they change in pronounciation depending on the time of day, and the time of year."
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Carthrat

Carthrat levels a flat stare at Relm. "What kind of stupid language is that?"
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Rezantis

"High enochian," Relm smoothly continues the phrase in a language you don't recognize.

Carthrat

"How long did it take you to learn?"

Rezantis

"Well, see, that's the trick.  You need to use a spell to learn the language, really, but you need to know the language before you can incant the spell properly."

Carthrat

Carthrat pauses. "So, what? You use some other spell that lets you speak any language and use it to let you learn the spell or something?"

Rezantis

"Ah, but you see, the language itself is magical, and can only be learned to fluency within a mortal lifetime by a spell that incants using it.  It's all very tricky"

Carthrat

"Explain. You've intrigued me," replies Carthrat.

It should be noted that Relm really has to crane her neck to see Carthrat's face, given her present situation (which she doesn't seem to have noticed).

Rezantis

"Hell no.  See, it's a barrier, of sorts.  You need to know enochian to learn higher forms of magic and understand the higher tiers of magical theory, but you can't learn it unless you already know it.  The general reasoning is that if you can't work out how to learn the language you wouldn't be able to get your head around the theory anyway."

Carthrat

"Oh. Ok. That makes no sense, but anyway," replies Carthrat, shrugging.

"Hey, Ginn, is she right?"

Ginnezumusha

"Errr, um, well... yeah.  I mean, technically, I can cast a spell with any properties I wanted to, all I have to do is pronounce it correctly.  It's like magical linguistics.  That way, it eliminates the need to memorize spells and such, as the magical alphabet is all you need to know to construct spells.  It took me about a year and a half, but thats because I'm kinda dyslexic."

Carthrat

"Don't spells require components and magical hand-waving and stuff, though?" replies Carthrat, blinking.

Ginnezumusha

"Some, but their main function is just a simplification of the spell, more like, and usually has regards to the nature of the spell.  Like, fireball, you throw the little knot of herbs and spices, and all you have to do is recite some short little command phrase.  A lot of ritualistic spells will have more components, as opposed to the quick and dirty spells, which might require only a few components or none at all."

Carthrat

Some time later..

"We're here!" says Carthrat, happily. "Um, what's the city called today?"

The forest has come to an end, and the travellers walk out from it's green depths to see the spires, towers, cloud-castles, and japanese gardens of Kurokulucar (for that was it's name at the 12th hour of a Friday) glistening in the noontime sun.

The city had no walls, for it was guarded by Magi, who are testy and prone to blowing things up that displease them. Walls just got in the way.

Rezantis

"Kelusk.  Now stop gawking, we're not there yet."

Relm picked her way over a rock and started walking quickly towards the city proper.