News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

The Dark Tower Series *Spoilers*

Started by Anastasia, November 15, 2003, 10:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

I know at least Huitzil reads this series here, and I was wondering if anyone else does as well. So, what did you think of book 5?

Personally, I thought it was pretty good, but it did annoy me in a few ways. The main issue I have is that it didn't feel that they got a speck closer to the Dark Tower. Even compared to Book 4's flashbacking and minimal time spent in the current timeline, it fell short. Yay, they stand around and defend a town from the Wolves.  Maybe for a hundred pages, but for the entire damn novel? It gives it a feeling of spinning in a rut.

Besides that, I noticed he seemed to be going out of his way to make Roland seem human. The dry twists, a few of the little things he added(The bit in the outhouse with the picture leaps to mind), the dancing scene. I don't really object to making him seem human and not the force of nature he felt like in Book 1, but the dry twists bit just sat poorly with me. No real reason for it. *shrugs*
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?