News:

"Our arrogance is our power."

Main Menu

Designated Villains

Started by Adon, May 30, 2002, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alucard

I can't think of any other good examples in the anime I've seen but I use to read a lot of X-Men comics and fan fiction and Wolverine got raped as a designated villian. Arguably the most popular X-Man and hero it seems fans only want to see him go psycho and kill half of his fellow X-Men before they manage to kill him.

I even read one particulairly bad story in which Wolverine goes insane, kidnaps Professor X (whose powers are ineffective on Wolverine's now totally messed up mind), and forces the X-Men to kill Magento in return for Professor X's safety. Then he kills Professor X anyway and half of the X-Men before they can stop him.

And this was all based on Wolverine's one bad character trait as a hero!

Ebiris

"Same with her relationship with Goku.  It's an absurdity, not meant to be viewed in an incredibly serious light or exaberated further past funny into sadistic."

Heh. I'm reminded of a fic I read based on the part where Goku was arrested for spousal abuse after the incident where he accidentally knocked Chi Chi through the wall and into a tree...

Anastasia

Worrying about the safety of her son who could nuke half the world without breaking a sweat.  Same with her relationship with Goku.  

In fairness, they face opponents that are generally much stronger than them. *Shrugs*

And maybe I just didn't like Chi Chi, but I never found her to be funny. Bitchy at times, but never funny.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

I did not find her to be funny either, but it was clear what they were going for.  It's the same with a lot of dragon ball z humor for me.  It's pathetic, low brow, and less than amusing.

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.