News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

They're coming to take me away, ha-ha...

Started by Brian, January 13, 2004, 02:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

The girl seems oblivious to the outside world, just playing with her broken glass.

You manage to filter a few words out over the rushing of the water, though only one of the two is speaking.  The brute speaks in simple words, rarely using anything with more than one sylable, and slurs his words, making them difficult to understand.  But from what you can glean, he's talking to the older man about being afraid of the dark.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

This does not bode well.  Rising smoothly to his feet, Bjorn wanders over in the direction of the cafeteria, with the intention of peeking inside the door.

Brian

The cafeteria is almost as brightly lit as the common area.  From what you can see, it's very sterile, every surface either polished aluminum, or bleached white tile.  The ceiling in that room is raised, too, and the doors on the upper walkway suggest that the guards are probably patrolling there, too.  You can't tell what's being served, but someone in a light blue jumpsuit stands behind a counter and parcels out trays to the people shuffling in line.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Bjorn shrugs to himself and goes to get in line for some food.  You can tell quite a bit about people by the food they serve.

Brian

There's not too many people, so the line's all but gone once you get inside.  The speaker system is playing some low-key meandering tune.  From here, you can see a few cafeteria-style tables with built-in benches on either side of the door.

At the counter, you're greeted with a variety of foods to choose from, ranging from lasagne, to porridge.  The man behind the counter asks, "What would you like?" as you approach, preparing a tray.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

"Answers," Bjorn replies drily.   "Failing that...." After a few seconds of contemplation, he chooses whatever food has been processed the least.

Brian

"Talk to a doctor," the cafeteria worker advises you, piling some mixed vegetables and mystery meat on the plate before handing it to you.  "Drinks are to your right," he adds, turning to some of the residents who had trailed in behind you.  It's the trio of hand-signers, and they make vague gestures towards the stuff behind the sneeze-guard.

Apparently, it means something to the server, because he replies, "Try again tomorrow.  What do you want that we're actually serving?"

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Bjorn takes a seat at the unoccupied table closest to the food counter, and then takes a close look at his food.  That only lasts a second, before he converts to a more distant look and wrinkles his nose.  Bah.  Even if it isn't drugged -- and no way of knowing -- I'm not hungry enough to eat this shit.

Instead, he focusses on rearranging the food on his plate enough to make it looks like he's eaten.  Won't fool anyone who actually cares, but what the hell.

Brian

Most of the other people in the cafeteria are only poking at their food themselves.  You don't appear to be the only one uninterested in it.  It does remind you that a fair number of the people in the common area ignored the chime, and that they obviously knew what they were coming in for.

From your seat you can see the drink bar.  It appears to serve water, in both hot and cold varieties.  There are also small bottles of milk, and a couple packets of instant drink mix or tea.

You're not seated very long before you hear booted footsteps approaching from the commons.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Ignoring the bootsteps, Bjorn walks up to get some hot water and some tea.

Hot water and a cup.  Not the best weapons, but weapons nonetheless.   Now, to do something stupid or not?

Brian

"Hot" is a bit generous here.  "Very warm", and you doubt the styrofoam cup would do much damage.  Though, without pockets, you could slip your glass figurine into the cup.

Another two guards come in, accompanied by the same doctor that took Megan away.  He glances at you momentarily, but tucks his clipboard into his belt and makes handsigns at one of the three handsigners.  The man who's singled out makes some gestures back, and the doctor raises an eyebrow.

Another series of hand-signs follow from both the doctor and the man, though his companions have quietly slipped away, and are pointedly staring at the floor.  Finally, the doctor says, "Tranquilize him."  In the quiet, over the overly cheery music, you hear the cocking of a weapon from an overhead walkway.

The signer puts his hands up and shakes his head quickly.

"Glad for your cooperation," the doctor says dryly.  Turning to you, he adds, "Enjoy your drink -- we'll be seeing you next."

With that, he turns on one heel and wheels away, though the signer has to have each elbow taken by a guard before he follows, shooting accusatory glares at his silent friends.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Humming thoughtfully to himself, Bjorn makes a nice, strong cup of tea, as dark as he can arrange.  While it steeps, he heads back out into the play area, and from there back to his dormitory room, palming the figurine into the tea as he goes along.

Brian

You didn't notice it before, but now that you're in front of your room (rainbow corridor, #4), you see a placard with your name on it inset into the face.  It's the type with a slip of card-paper stuck between two panes of plexiglass.

Once you get inside, you see that someone has apparently cleaned your room.  They also dropped off a spare jumpsuit, which is neatly folded atop the bed, and a small set of drawers underneath the kitten poster.

~exploding tag~

Bjorn

Putting the cup of tea on top of the dresser, and the spare jumpsuit in a drawer, Bjorn lies down on the bed, arms crossed behind his head, to think and to await the apparent inevitable.

Brian

While lying on the bed, you notice that directly above the doorway, and opposite it (directly over the bed) there are two ventilation ducts.  This is not odd in and of itself, but light glints off of something in the one over the door.

~exploding tag~