News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Prologue: The Commission

Started by Halbarad, June 10, 2004, 06:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthrat

"You wouldn't happen to have any idea of the original location of the colonies, would you?" asks Arkian, musing. "After however many years, the shifting surfaces of Mercury will almost certainly have covered up many of the entrances to an underground facility, if not damaged or ruined them entirely.

A rough idea of where to begin searching would be extremely helpful in this sort of work."
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

thepanda

Chris ponders for a few moments, waiting for the good doctor to answer the first two questions before raising his own. “Should we find the Mercurian colonies, and should they be intact, I assume we’re to bring back some of it for further study here on the moon, correct? What kind of equipment will we have to make sure that nothing happens from handling the alien artifacts? I’d heard stories about old Lunarian tech that people have found that had some unfortunate consequences on those who’d handled it, and, well…”

Ebiris

Hearing Chris' remark about 'unfortunate consequences' Rowan can't help but snort slightly and glance at Michael.

No kidding...

Halbarad

Dr. Mizuno takes the questions in the order they were asked, turning to Rowan first.

"As far as the atmosphere and temperature goes, we're not sure. We know the main problem as far as protection goes - the extreme heat on the day side - won't be a problem underground. It may be a bit on the cold side, but that may be able to be solved by restarting the climate control equipment, depending on what shape it's in. Much of the old machinery from before the Restoration here on the Moon was still operable, it simply needed power. If you CAN restore power, go ahead and do so; if not, simply make a note of what you believe it needs to restore them and we'll send a more specific team before we start recolonization."

Arkian's query is next. "As far as the original colony entrances go, we know of a few. Meteorite activity is the only thing you should have to worry about; Merury, like the Moon, has a solid core - there's no tectonic or volcanic activity to worry about changing the surface. You may have to clear debris from the entrances themselves, but the underground portions of the colonies - those not structurally supported by magic, at least - should still be intact."

Chris's question is the final one to be answered. "We have what are known as null magic boxes. They dampen any magical external magical fields, and seal in any inside the container. Those should be sufficient to keep any artifacts you find contained until you can get back to the Moon."
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Ebiris

Rowan nods, happy with Sailor Mercury's answers so far, and content to remain silent and let the other woman go on with her lecture for now.

Halbarad

"There are two main objectives on Mercury: Find and clear one or more of the entrances to the underground colonies, and try to get an idea of how much of the underground is still intact. Your secondary objective was touched on by Rowan's question - if you find yourselves capable of doing any simple restoration of power or anything else that might be useful, you are to do so. You don't need to take any unnecessary risks, but that will be up to your judgement once you get a better understanding of the situation.

Your secondary objective, as it will be for all the other planets, is to try to gain as much information about the former Silver Millenium colony that existed there. Keep your eyes open for artifacts, writings, possibly even computer systems on Mercury. Again, we don't know what you'll find, so use your best judgement on what's valuable and what isn't."

She considers for a moment. "The only other thing that I can think of at the moment is surface conditions. The portable atmospheric generator you'll be taking with you for your base camp will compensate for the subzero temperatures of the night side, but it won't do anything to protect you on the day side - and it will probably be damaged if it's left out on the day side. The ship itself is shielded against the heat, so that's of less concern. But if you delay too long in the interior, you'll have to wait again for the ship to enter the dark side - I seriously doubt any of you have any capabilities that will let you survive in that sort of heat. Something for you to bear in mind, as well."

She pauses again, for any further questions.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Ebiris

Rowan thinks for a moment before speaking up, "Do the underground colonies form a continuous network, or are they seperate and self contained?"

Halbarad

"They did at one time," Ami replies. "During the Silver Millenium, the colonies - basically independent cities - were linked by an underground network of highways. Most of those were bored by magic - traditional methods would have taken too long. That being the case, I don't expect you'll find many of them still intact. It IS an outside possibility, but I don't find it particularly likely."
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Jon

Michael raises his hand. "Uh, one question; given what you've said so far,  do you think there's a chance any life may have survived, in the tunnels? Say, former colonists' pets or such, adapted to the conditions after the fall?"

Halbarad

"Almost none. By our best estimates, it's been well over ten thousand years since the fall of the Silver Millenium. While a species surviving for that period of time wouldn't be at all unlikely on Earth, most ot the food production on Mercury - and there was never much - was entirely dependent on magical means. Any sort of plant or animal life would be required to adapt to a near total lack of food or water." She smiles a bit at that. "So I doubt you'll find anything living while you're there."
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Halbarad

Seeing that there are no further questions, Ami nods, taking four sheets of paper off of her desk. "If that's all, here are your schedules for the rest of the week. Each of you will be going through training for the next week, mostly on the use of the equipment and familiarizing you with the ship. As far as environmental protection goes, we have two options for you. The first is a belt containing a magical device that will maintain pressure for you, along with an air tank that you'll wear on your back. The second is a more traditional space suit." She pauses for a moment, considering. "Other than that, I believe we're more or less done, since you have no other questions."

She gives the group a smile. "The first of your training sessions are due to begin later this afternoon - that should give you all time to get moved into your quarters here at the palace. If you think of any questions later, feel free to contact me on the palace comm system - if I'm not available, I should be able to get back with you within a few minutes. Thank you all for your time." She gives you all a slight bow.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Ebiris

"Likewise, Sa-, I mean, Dr Mizuno," Rowan replies, correcting herself as she recalls how the Sailor Senshi chose to introduce herself earlier.

Standing up to return the other woman's bow, she then picks up her schedule to give it a quick look over.

Halbarad

The only things slated for today are a new employee orientation, at 2 pm, followed by a tour of the palace complex at 3. That's scheduled to take nearly two hours, then you're finished for the day.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Ebiris

Assuming no one stops her, Rowan proceeds to go get settled in her guest rooms here at the palace, intending to pass the time reading until it's time for her orientation.

Carthrat

Arkian picks up his timetable and retreats to his quarters, musing.

All I *really* need is an air source, but there's no point taking silly chances..
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up