News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Recent posts

Balmuria Mini Games / Re: Loot (Skaya)
Last post by Corwin - May 11, 2024, 02:42:13 PM
OOC: 100 gold each for the job, post it in loot.
Mini Game Logs / The Man in the Red Mask and Ro...
Last post by Corwin - May 09, 2024, 11:13:45 AM
19:15 <•Anastasia> ----
19:15 <•Anastasia> OOC: Just a quick question before I begin - did you two have something particular in mind when you talked about going to do something somewhere, or wastossing things around?
19:15 <Skaya> OOC: Let's chat with Milla and see what's up, first
19:18 <•Anastasia> roll 1d100
19:18 <Kobot> Anastasia rolled 1d100 --> [ 1d100=74 ]{74}
19:21 <•Anastasia> It takes some effort to find Milla the next day. Something about chasing someone down, but you only get vague details before catching up to her. She's at the western gate out of the city, nearby and just past the guard station there. She rests in the shade of tree, eyes half closed as she watches merchants and travels come and go in both directions. "Kellym's nice this time of year," Milla
19:21 <•Anastasia> greets the both of you, the summery heat out in full blast today. "Thinking about going visiting?"
19:22 <Skaya> "Keeping my options open," Skaya responds with a shrug. "What would you recommend?"
19:23 <•Anastasia> Milla opens her eyes and gives the two of you a curious look, "Wait until late summer so you miss the worst of the heat," she says instead. "I don't have a lot of time, so what is it?"
19:25 <Skaya> "Part of it was just that, asking for some advice in case it was best for all if Rina and I laid low for a while," Skaya tells her. "Part of it is that we paused before completing our commission so I was wondering if we're gonna follow up, or just get paid for the part we did do."
19:32 <•Anastasia> "You never got paid for what you did?" Milla frowns, "Get that cleared up. I ended up sending the last task off with what happened, being up all night meant you were no good for today. As for advice, you want out of Mellanics for awhile?"
19:33 <Skaya> "I don't want to reflect badly on you or your father or the guild," Skaya says openly, since there's no need to hide her motives from Milla. "If that is best served by leaving for some extended time, it is something I can handle easily."
19:39 <•Anastasia> Now giving both of you her full attention, "Do you feel you need to leave?" Milla asks back, "I doubt father cares that much, or he'd say something himself."
19:39 <Skaya> "If it's like that, just tell me one thing. Off the record. Is the Crown investigating what's under the lake, or was the visit unrelated to that?"
19:41 <•Anastasia> OOC: Give me a charisma check, +2 bonus in that case.
19:42 <Skaya> roll 1d20+3+2
19:42 <Kobot> Skaya rolled 1d20+3+2 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{22}
19:44 <•Anastasia> It's not Skaya who gets an answer. Instead Milla turns to Devar, "Do you feel the same way and have the same question?"
19:45 <Devar> "I have the same question." He says. "I don't think we necessarily need to stay out of Bergan's way or anything, but I have a feeling he's not just throwing his weight around for no ultimate goal."
19:52 <•Anastasia> "Of course the Crown's investigating what's under the lake," Is Milla's answer, voice lowered, "Though as far as I know, what happened to Rina had nothing to do with that. Bergen's petty cruelty, nothing more."
19:54 <Skaya> "Okay. Coincidences do happen! In that case, got some job lined up that we could do together?" Skaya asks Milla curiously. "I couldn't help but think you were evaluating us for some task by letting us lead and fight the other day."
19:56 <Devar> Devar gestures slightly to Skaya with a 'See?' expressio at Milia.
20:00 <•Anastasia> Devar gets a flat look back before, "Alright. I need a team of four or five to head north along the border to Welland, and be willing to go into Welland itself. Trying to track down someone strange, someone who's been making trouble. A man in a red mask and robes. I don't have anything specific on him, but he keeps turning up where there's trouble. Someone's making trouble in our kingdom with
20:00 <•Anastasia> him, and it needs to stop."
20:04 <Devar> "You'd really think people wouldn't wear something that defining if they want to not be found." Devar says. "I guess it prevents divinations if you don't know their name, but still..."
20:06 <•Anastasia> "That or it's powerfully enchanted," Milla points out, "As well as practical against some divinations."
20:08 <Skaya> "Ah! That guy!"
20:10 <•Anastasia> "That-" Milla's expression turns annoyed, "You know him?"
20:12 <Skaya> "That's strange, I was sure you knew about it. Remember what got us Devar sent as reinforcements? I kept on sending reports back to the Guild Master, one about what we found at the caves and another about what happened along the way. We dealt with an unreasonably strong group of bandits en route, and that red masked weird mage guy was part of them.
20:12 <Skaya> He was the only one to disappear out of a locked room, so I assumed he's a mage, anyway."
20:16 <•Anastasia> "He must be, then," Milla says, "And no, but that means you at least know who I'm talking about. More reason for you to take it, because you know he's out there, making trouble like that.
20:16 <•Anastasia> "
20:16 <Skaya> "Mmm. I don't have confidence taking him down myself, but a team of four supporting me? Yes, I'm willing to give it a shot."
20:20 <•Anastasia> "Then form a team and go. You'll get 2,000 each gold for his capture or death, alon gwith any treasure on the way."
20:22 <Skaya> "Can it be half paid up front?" Skaya decides to check. "At least one of the girls I want to bring on would be onboard with that."
20:28 <•Anastasia> "Anne?" Milla cold-guesses at that, "So you can give her that and avoid being guilt tripped to help the orphans the entire time?"
20:28 <Skaya> "Yeah, though it'd make things an easy sell to the others too."
20:31 <•Anastasia> "Fine," Milla says after a few moments of thought, "But if you fail, you'll need to pay it back."
20:31 <Skaya> "That's fair."
20:33 <•Anastasia> "Then go gather your term and report back," Milla says, "Good luck."
20:33 — Skaya glances over at Devar to make sure he's fine with all this.
20:35 <Devar> A simple nod is Skaya's answer!
20:35 <Skaya> "I'll get going right away, then1"
20:38 <•Anastasia> With that choice made, one question is obvious: Who are you going to go ask?
20:39 — Skaya is going to invite Sanda, Anne, Rina and Regis. It'd make for a decent team of six to chase down a weird maybe-mage with no good leads!
20:42 <•Anastasia> OOC: Okay, Devar, anything to add onto that or discussion to be had?
20:43 <Devar> OOC: No sir
20:47 <•Anastasia> OOC: Okay then, how do you want to do this and wrangle theim into it?
20:48 <Skaya> OOC: Let's all meet for lunch at an inn and have a chat!
20:55 <•Anastasia> It's a late lunch, but it's lunch. A quiet inn in central Mellanics, cooler than outside and shaded. Over lunch the group listens, Rina quiet and Regis tense. It's Sanda who speaks first as Anne works on her stew, "So we go search, get paid for it and hope to find a provocateur?"
20:56 <•Anastasia> "Our success will be in the hands of higher forces than us," Anne says right away, "That sort of mission demands faith in our victory, and acceptance of what happens regardless."
20:56 <•Anastasia> Regis scowls, "Getting Rina out of here's good sense regardless, and if it goes more northernly and into Welland, we might even reach the sea coast eventually."
20:58 <Skaya> "Plus the order's a bit off. We get paid, convert that to better gear before heading out and ensure our survival, then the rest of it."
21:00 <•Anastasia> "Count us in," Regis says right away, and Rina nods quietly afterwards.
21:01 <•Anastasia> "The money's good," Sanda muses aloud, "So very good, and better if we find treasure. Logically speaking, we'll find treasure, so it's excellent money."
21:01 <•Anastasia> "
21:01 <Skaya> "Glad to have you onboard!" Skaya says cheerfully, before turning towards Sanda. "That other mission didn't end up taking the many months we planned for, so I figure you're good for an extended leave? And we're definitely getting decent treasure, that trashy guy is clearly working with bandits which means free money."
21:01 <•Anastasia> "I'm loathe to leave on a long trip again so soon," Anne reflects, "But the money could do so much good."
21:04 <Skaya> "Ah, speaking of that. Maybe you could make a change this time around?" Skaya muses. "There was this guy who heard your stories and wanted to be trained so he tried to tag along with me on a real job out of town. Maybe you can use some of the down payment to hire a few retired adventurers to train the teens that are looking for a job? Teach them the basics of survival and how to fight?"
21:07 <•Anastasia> "We already do that as we can for trades, but it's expensive and relies mostly on good will. We're disinclined to offer that sort of training generally," Anne goes on, "We can't offer enough, and going off half trained? No." Softer, "I already have gravestones to visit from that foolishness. The few with talent and the drive not to let go I quietly tutor in the basics, and have others help in
21:07 <•Anastasia> exchange for favors."
21:09 <Skaya> "Wow, that's new! I figured those old guys who took an arrow to the knee or something and long since retired would be bored and work for pennies."
21:11 <•Anastasia> "Statistically speaking, that wouldn't be finantically viable for them," Sanda points out.
21:11 <Skaya> "Not everything's about the money. Some people just like to recapture the glory of their heyday."
21:11 <•Anastasia> "Everyone wants money," Regis agrees, resting his head on his hand, lunch pushed away.
21:19 <•Anastasia> "Still..." Anne says after a moment, "I'll accept, it's too good a chance ot pass up."
21:20 <Skaya> "Mmm. You know, Sanda, Anne, I'm really hoping your magic will grow quickly. That'll open all sorts of fast travel options!"
21:21 <Devar> "There's definitely a lot of spells that make that easy, I hear." Devar agrees.
21:22 <•Anastasia> "So there are," Anne says, "I'll investigate a few simple ones, and se eif they're granted. But the truly good ones are well away and out of reach."
21:22 <•Anastasia> "Any basic wizard or sorcerer knows a spell for the basics," Sanda disagrees, "Logically speaking, isn that not superior, Skaya?"
21:23 <•Anastasia> "Spells aren't my thing, but what spells, Devar?" Regis asks.
21:24 <Devar> "Well, there's stuff like teleport, but that's pretty advanced. I have to wonder if our masked friend used it to escape... but if he's got spells like that then we'll have to be very careful on how to try and apprehend them." He says. "It may be safer to not assume he has that."
21:24 <Skaya> "Hmm. I was really talking about Teleport or Plane Shift, which are... well, I guess they're a bit off from our grasp for the near future? But I'm optimistic! And speaking of optimism, I'll check the Guild for a guard mission for any caravans heading our way. Getting our own wagon is not happening again since it's clearly cursed, so let's get paid while traveling with someone else's wagon."
21:31 <•Anastasia> "Sensible," Anne agrees with that.
21:31 <•Anastasia> "Teleport, is it? Things like that," Regis murmurs, "The stories of going across the country in a sneeze's moment."
21:32 <•Anastasia> "When will we leave?" Sanda speaks up at that, "How soon?"
21:32 <Skaya> "The stories of the wonderful mishaps with the spell!"
21:32 <Skaya> At Sanda's question, she coughs into her fist. "Like I said, let me find a decent guard mission. Let's be ready to leave within a few days if nothing comes up?"
21:36 <•Anastasia> Nods all around at that as...OOC: Okay then, prep before y'all leave?
21:36 <Skaya> OOC: How much are we getting paid for Milla's unfinished quest string?
21:37 <Skaya> OOC: I'll see from there if I have enough to check about an item or not
21:40 <•Anastasia> OOC: She never said before this?
21:40 <Skaya> OOC: I believe she said it was a thousand, but that was for completing all three.
21:42 <Devar> OOC: I unfortunately don't have logs for back then so I am of no help here
21:43 <•Anastasia> OOC: Okay, she'll give you 670 for two.
21:43 <Skaya> OOC: 1,000 split three ways, plus any treasure we get
21:43 <Skaya> OOC: Okay, thanks
21:46 <Devar> OOC: So just short on a +1 weapon or ring of deflection for me, so no purchases
21:48 <•Anastasia> OOC: Okay, cool. Post the gain in loot real quick Skaya. Any purchases for you? You'll have time to think since I need to go over NPC upgrades'n'stuff.
21:51 <Skaya> OOC: I presume Eyes of the Eagle would give +5 to perception, and Boots of Elvenkind and Cloak of Elvenkind each give +5 to stealth?
21:52 <•Anastasia> OOC: Boots and cloak would be an either/or since they're both the same bonus type, I believe. So just go with whichever you prefer, but yeah. What are the eyes in?
21:53 <Skaya> OOC: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#eyesoftheEagle
21:53 <•Anastasia> OOC: Yeah, that'sf ine.
21:54 <•Anastasia> OOC: Anyway, go ahea dand get all of your ducks in order, do any loot posts you need to and we'll hit the gorund running on this next time, typos and all.
Mini Game Logs / Re: Home at Last 05
Last post by Corwin - May 09, 2024, 11:12:36 AM
21:10 <Skaya> "It seemed that way but I didn't ask in depth, since I was supposedly representing him," Skaya responds with a shrug. "Still, if this ends here I'm also not retaliating. This is petty but no lines have been crossed. And yeah, Rina's a close friend. I'll keep an eye out, especially if she's too exhausted by the morning and needs help. Devar, want to keep watch with me?"
21:12 <Devar> "Sure, you can never be too cautious." He agrees.
21:15 <•Anastasia> "Good luck," Picke says, as...OOC: What's your plan here?
21:17 <Skaya> OOC: Let's just keep an eye out from a good distance so we don't look suspicious. If there's an inn or a bar open we can go there. I'll also be disguised to no longer look like my guard self, and Devar will be Devar.
21:19 <•Anastasia> OOC: Sure. More.
21:19 <•Anastasia> roll 1d100
21:19 <Kobot> Anastasia rolled 1d100 --> [ 1d100=80 ]{80}
21:20 <•Anastasia> It's not a short evening, but time passes by. Come dawn your watch is rewarded. You see Rina stumbling out, into the first rays of sunshine.
21:21 <Skaya> "Let's go pick her up," Skaya tells Devar, intending to use him for cover all the same.
21:21 <Devar> He nods and will dutifully follow after!
21:28 <•Anastasia> Rina's slowly walking down the street, a bit shaky. She sees Devar and stumbles towards him, "Oh, I hate everything," she whispers to him, then shudders, "Outside's good. Fresh air, no walls, outside. Lots of space."
21:28 — Skaya hands Rina a bottle filled with cool water.
21:30 <Devar> "Did they hurt you at all?" He asks, placing a hand gently on her to hopefully help. OOC: Lay on hands for 5 just to help what's likely a lot of soreness and other basic injuries.
21:31 <•Anastasia> The bottle's taken and drained in several gulps. "Thanks. Ugh. I'm fine." Yet her body visibly relaxes on that healing. "My legs hurt and I kept scraping myself against the walls when I dozed, but I'm fine"
21:32 <Skaya> "How did all this even happen?"
21:33 <•Anastasia> A shake of her head, "Talk over breakfast," Rina insists, "I want to sit down."
21:33 <Skaya> "Sure. It's Devar's treat!"
21:33 <•Anastasia> Devar promptly gets a strong, clinging hug. "Thank you! I'm so hungry but I'm fine, let's go get some food."
21:34 <Devar> "Haha, it's no big deal. We're owed a bit for the monster exterminations anyway." He says.
21:34 — Skaya leads the way to a nice restaurant where they can also get some privacy to avoid another incident in public.
21:37 <•Anastasia> It's a nice little place with a quiet, set aside table. Rina orders a full breakfast platter and eats heartily, tucking in. After a few minutes of satisfying her needs, "What did everyone at the guild tell you?"
21:38 <Skaya> "That he showed up and picked a fight or was offensive somehow, and you reciprocated so you got arrested," Skaya summarizes things up. "Guild Master refused to tell what sort of matter this envoy was at the guild for."
21:44 <•Anastasia> "He ran his mouth at me, I didn't take it and next thing I know I'm arrested." Rina's expression is dark. "I don't know either, but he had an attitude and couldn't take any back!" Her expression is even darker now, "I didn't even start it, I just happened to be nearby and he took exception to something I said."
21:44 <Skaya> "You should really learn from me. I mouthed off to him and I didn't get arrested."
21:47 <•Anastasia> After tearing up more food, "Lucky you," Rina says, a sour note. "Thanks for dropping in last night, Skaya, and thanks for breakfast, Devar. That was-" she shakes her head, "Nevermind, I'm fine."
21:48 <Skaya> "If you'd been in a truly bad situation, I would've broken you out," Skaya tells her. "But you're not claustrophobic, so I figured we shouldn't let Guild Master and Devar's efforts at diplomacy go to waste. Ah, Milla was also onboard with the whole break you out thing."
21:49 <•Anastasia> "H-hah, it wasn't any big deal. I'm fine now," Waving it off, "Just never want to do that again."
21:50 <Skaya> "At least Regis didn't make things worse. So there's that! Would've been a tight squeeze otherwise."
22:00 <•Anastasia> "Hah, hah." A long look, "Still...thank you. I owe both of you for this."
22:01 <Skaya> "I wonder if this hadn't been another hint to hit the road," Skaya muses. "You know, that time in the ruins? I actually thought it would be a neat adventure. If it weren't for Regis and Marken being in danger due to our sudden disappearance...."
22:04 <•Anastasia> "Yeah," Rina murmurs, more to herself, "Maybe some of us should get together and go do something, get out of here after that? Make a difference somewhere."
22:05 <Skaya> "Talk it over with your brother? I'll see what Anne and Sanda think. They've got decent ties here, but if it's a few months it might be doable. Ah, and how about you, Devar?"
22:14 <Devar> "Hey, I feel like I've been the sixth or seventh wheel to what you all have been doing." He says with a smile. "But if you ask me, I'd ask Millia. I have a sinking suspicion that one has some plans of her own that might cooincide with what you're talking about."
22:15 <Skaya> "Yeah, I'll keep Milla in the loop. Either way, it's not going to happen right away, so we'll have a chance to complete our commission at the very least."
22:17 <Devar> "Whatever you all end up doing I'm happy to be a part of." He adds. "I'll help out however I can."
Last post by Corwin - May 09, 2024, 11:12:22 AM
19:19 <•Anastasia> You get a thoughtful hum as a reply. "Killing and violence comes naturally, it's like walking upstream against the current. It's either a fool or a great man who is willing to do that."
19:23 → Kobot joined (~dunefar@lunarnet-82C188CE.hr.hr.cox.net)
19:24 <Devar> "Trust me, I was plenty violent when I was part of the army." Devar says with a bit of a sad smile. "I don't expect to ever be some great paragon of justice that dives into the deepest Hells to smite devils forevermore - that just isn't what I think Eldath has called me to. But what I can do is protect people who need protecting - who can't defend themselves from that easy-to-come violence
19:24 <Devar> you mentioned."
19:30 <•Anastasia> "There's always victims," Milla's quieter at that, "And protectors react instead of acting." It gets her to go silent altogether, "What made you commit to Eldath?"
19:32 <Devar> "There was... an incident." He says, with a frown. "Well, I say an incident,but it was... a lot of small things, a lot of hay into a haystack. I just... got tired of all the violence, I got tired of the fighting. Who was benefitting from it? The royalty? Are they benefitting the regular people?" He shakes his head. "I guess you can say it was a crisis of conscience."
19:41 <•Anastasia> Milla makes a soft noise at that, contemplatively silent afterwards. A long silence stretches out until, "Dad taught me how to throw a punch when I was two years old, it's the oldest memory I have." Milla says. "He's a great teacher when he wants to be. I remember him guiding my pudgy arm, helping me try and swing."
19:42 <Devar> "You certainly took well to it." Devar says with a smile. "You and Skaya both seem to have an aptitude for it"
19:46 <•Anastasia> "Father thinks so," Milla agrees with that, "Father drilled it into me as much as he could."
19:52 <Devar> "What's the real reason you sought us out?" Devar asks. "I doubt this was really just to test our abilities."
19:59 <•Anastasia> You don't get an answer. Instead Milla smiles just a little bit. "Oh really?"
20:02 <Devar> "You strike me as the 'several steps ahead' type." Devar says with a bit of a smile. "That person who always has several different contingencies going on to make sure you're not blindsided by anything. So I have to wonder what it is you think we can help you accomplish or prevent from happening." A bit more of a grin. "Of course, maybe I'm just totally wrong."
20:08 <•Anastasia> "Maybe you are wrong," Milla leans forward a little, "Maybe you're seeing something where there's nothing."
20:09 <Devar> "Maybe I am." He says with a smile. "I suppose we'll see what happens."
20:20 <•Anastasia> "I suppose we will," Milla's amused a little more, "Just one more thing."
20:21 <Devar> "I'm an open book." He replies.
20:28 <•Anastasia> "What do you think the so called real reason was?" Milla asks.
20:31 <Devar> "To test us for something a lot more important to the safety of the citizens." He says with a smile.
20:36 <•Anastasia> "A hero through and through," Milla says, "Seeing great quests adn chances for glory ahead of him."
20:37 <Devar> "Hah." He holds his hands up defensively. "Not exactly, but I guess we'll see, won't we?"
20:44 <•Anastasia> Milla settles in and...OOC: Do you have anythin gels eto chat with her about as you wait?
20:45 <Devar> OOC: She seems like she keeps things close to her chest so he wouldn't press on anything for right now
20:57 <•Anastasia> OOC: Okay, let's wait for Cor to finish upt hten.
21:01 <•Anastasia> OOC: Merging you into #dunes.
Last post by Corwin - May 09, 2024, 11:11:59 AM
21:20 <Anastasia> ---
21:20 <Anastasia> Once Picke leaves with Skaya, Milla turns to you, "Eldath, right?"
21:21 <Devar> "Yes, that's correct." He nods to Millia.
21:32 <Anastasia> "How is that?" Is the question you get, "PEace and pacifism, yet violence and heroics."
21:34 <Devar> "Heh, I don't blame you for asking." He says. "It's a mindset for me - that violence isn't the first answer to every problem."
21:40 ⇐ Iddy quit (uid408070@lunarnet-1BB5E9E.uxbridge.irccloud.com) Quit: Connection closed for inactivity
21:41 <Anastasia> Milla reflects on that a little time before, "Does it work well for you?"
21:48 <Devar> "Well, I can't say I feel like I've added a whole lot to Skaya and the others." He admits with a bit of a smile. "But I think I'm finding my way with that sort of attitude."
Last post by Corwin - May 09, 2024, 11:11:50 AM
19:08 <•Anastasia> "I can rustle something up," Picke says after a few moment's thought.
19:08 <Skaya> "As soon as I have it, I'll make my move," Skaya promises.
19:11 ⇐ Devar_ quit (~igloo@lunarnet-8642DF90.sub-174-218-250.myvzw.com) Ping timeout: 180 seconds
19:12 <•Anastasia> It's a quick duck in for Picke to return with a uniform. He presents it to Skaya, "Good luck."
19:16 <Skaya> Luck is right. How long has it been since she had a chance to sneak around like this? But then again, it's not like she doesn't have any experience. After ducking into an unoccupied room Skaya puts on most of the uniform, deciding to carry the top in her haversack. With a cloak covering her figure and a hood to disguise her identity, at least at a casual glance, she shouldn't be spotted as she heads out in the direction of the garrison.
19:19 <•Anastasia> OOC: Give me a disguise check, +2 bonus.
19:20 <Skaya> OOC: Give me a bot, please
19:22 <•Anastasia> OOC: Oh. Oh. Yeah, that would help. M oment.
19:23 → Kobot joined (~dunefar@lunarnet-82C188CE.hr.hr.cox.net)
19:23 <Skaya> roll 1d20+10+2
19:23 <Kobot> Skaya rolled 1d20+10+2 --> [ 1d20=12 ]{24}
19:28 <•Anastasia> It's a guard outpost. A pair of guards are outside, who eyes Skaya as she approaches, but make no move to stop her. It's two stories and fairly large, at the corner of a four way intersection. They have spears and light armor, but are otherwise simply standing guard.
19:32 <Skaya> Having finished changing once close enough, Skaya should look like a proper guard herself. Of course, with her skills she doesn't immediately look like her usual self to those who might've seen her in passing. Simple is best when disguising, unless truly aiming to replace someone. She walks towards the outpost confidently, since acting confidently as if one belongs is the first step in fooling others!
19:36 <•Anastasia> No one stops you from going in. Inside you see it looks like a front desk where guards report, two doing so right now. Otherwise various doors lead deeper in. A bench on the side has chains and manacles attached, two men currently locked up there. One's snoring loudly, red faced and old. The other's badly beaten, face a bloody mess and slumped over.
19:38 — Skaya lines up after the pair who are reporting, listening in casually. If there is any sort of protocol, however relaxed, she should be able to clue into it this way. And it would give her time to take stock of the interior that she can see.
19:42 <•Anastasia> "...and reported it to Street Watch Sorsen." One of them concludes.
19:43 <•Anastasia> The man at the desk grunts, older and clean shaven, a nasty scar on his face, one eye gone and a patch over it. "Idiot had it coming when he swung at Richards. Throw him in a cell and have him dragged out to answer for himself in the morning."
19:44 <•Anastasia> "Sir," Both salute lightly and turn, going back to the bloodied man. Then the man at the desk looks your way, "Yes?"
19:46 — Skaya nods in agreement at the decision, only fools pick a fight they can't win. Since it's now her turn, she not quite conceals a sigh as she says, "Lord Bergen had me sent over. Something about a special prisoner?"
19:49 <•Anastasia> "She's in the narrow cell," he answers, "She's a feisty one."
19:51 <Skaya> "Sounded that way," Skaya agrees. "What is it with idiots today?" It didn't seem to be a large garrison from the outside, but going blindly would still be bad. But she'd lived in this town for a while now, and along with what she can see from here perhaps she'll infer where the cell would be?
19:52 <Skaya> OOC: I think Knowledge:Local could work here, which would be 27 if I take 10.
19:52 <Skaya> OOC: I also have Knowledge:Engineering, with the result of 26 for taking 10.
19:58 <•Anastasia> "Summer makes them act up," The older man says it like he knows it's true as the sky is blue. Drawing on your knowledge, you suspect the narrow cell is the farthest down the left side hall. It's infamous. Narrow enough all you can do is stand or lie down on the stone floor in one direction. One of the dirty little secrets of the guard, where they put someone who's done something really dumb or
19:58 <•Anastasia> angered someone powerful. Usually people who seriously injure a guardsman get it (if they survive being arrested, which isn't great odds). It's miserably uncomfortable and claustrophobic.
19:59 <Skaya> "Sir," she says at the agreement, following the actions of the guards before her as she salutes him. It sounded like a dismissal, so Skaya proceeds towards the left side hall.
20:01 <•Anastasia> That you do. It's rows of cells with wood doors, heavy ones. There's a single guard at a little desk at the front, who nods your way. Otherwise, the only guards are at the end, where the narrow cell should be. You notice it has a narrow door, barely big enough for someone to squeeze in, and even then they'd feel the doorframe on their shoulders. Two guards stand at that door.
20:04 — Skaya returns the nod, it's only polite, but doesn't dawdle. Before long, she arrives before the pair of guards and gives them a nod as well, asking, "How's the prisoner?"
20:09 <•Anastasia> "Quiet, finally," One says, "Mouthy for awhile, but she shut up once she realized how deep she was in."
20:10 <•Anastasia> "Musta pissed off someone big," The other guard says, "But the fight's been out of her since I got here."
20:13 <Skaya> "That usually how it goes," Skaya agrees. Being assigned such a cell is clearly abuse, but at least it's not the other kind of abuse. In fact, wouldn't it be impossible to beat or torture Rina in a narrow space like that? "You guys haven't heard? It was the special envoy of the Queen!" she says, as if enjoying a chance to gossip a bit. And in the meantime, tries to listen in to see whether Rina is actually alright inside.
20:13 <Skaya> OOC: My perception would be 25 for taking 10.
20:21 <•Anastasia> A whistle, "Wow, she's dumb!"
20:21 <Skaya> "Yeah, most people just go behind his back. Takes a special kind of... courage... to just go off in his face like that."
20:21 <•Anastasia> "Well, people swing at the guard even after they see what happens." The other says, "There's a lot of dumb people."
20:21 <•Anastasia> "Still dumb," the first says.
20:23 <Skaya> Yes, yes. She's dumb. But ask a planar frog and they'll call it the right course of action!
20:23 <Skaya> OOC: Can I hear anything from the cell or Rina?
20:29 <•Anastasia> OOC: No.
20:29 <•Anastasia> "Still dumb," the second echos. "So...you here for her or something?"
20:30 <Skaya> "Just to check up on her. She needs to be nice and presentable for the morning."
20:36 <•Anastasia> The guards step aside, "Do what you want."
20:38 <Skaya> It's a narrow space, so Skaya moves to grab hold of the door handle and tries to open it. If the door is locked, she'll need to try some swift sleight of hand to have a shot here, but given the guards just waved her through she's probably overthinking this?
20:43 <•Anastasia> It opens outward, no handle on the inside door. It's narrow in here, narrow enough to stand facing the wall and have your back just touch the other wall. Rina turns her head, expression pained and hopeful, looking right at you. She's standing, still and half resting against a rough stone wall.
20:47 <Skaya> "Stupid of you, to mouth off to an important envoy like that," Skaya scoffs. Between her attitude and her appearance, Rina should be clued in that she's snuck in and not blow her cover. "But at least Lord Bergen is merciful. After a devoted of Eldath pleaded on your behalf, you'll be released in the morning. Use this time well to reflect on your actions."
20:53 <•Anastasia> You get a hopeful look and then a nod, "A-alright," she manages, "Thank you."
20:55 <Skaya> That should be enough for her. She knows that Devar was involved, and what to expect. Of course, Skaya is prepared in case this is all some stupid trick, but that's not something Rina needs to worry about. She closes the door and smiles at the guards. "All done. It's been a pleasure, and have a quiet shift."
20:57 <•Anastasia> A nod, "Thanks, you too."
20:57 <Skaya> Reassured, she walks back out calmly.
20:58 <•Anastasia> No one stops you. What's your plan now?
20:59 <Skaya> Once she is far enough from the guard post, she'll stop by an alley to once more disguise the guard clothing she still has on while replacing the top, and then make her way back to Picke.
21:01 <•Anastasia> Soon enough the party's regathered, everyone waitin gon Skaya's words...OOC: Go ahead.
21:04 <Skaya> "The good news is that I got to see Rina, and she's alive and reasonably well," Skaya reports. "I didn't even break any laws that I'm aware of, just perhaps twisted the truth a bit while talking to the guards. Rina's being held in this narrow cell that only allows her to stand, so there's no sleep or rest going on, but I told her to hang on until morning and I think she's good for it.
21:04 <Skaya> Now I'm thinking of returning to observe the post from somewhere nearby and see if she's being released or not come morning. What do you think, Guild Master?"
21:09 <•Anastasia> "That one?" Picke scowls, "Petty. That's for attempted murderers who piss off the guard, not that. I'm going to have more words with Bergen if that was his idea."
21:09 <•Anastasia> "Go on if you want, but I don't think Bergen will double cross. Rina should be out." He says after a moment's thought.
21:10 <Skaya> "It seemed that way but I didn't ask in depth, since I was supposedly representing him," Skaya responds with a shrug. "Still, if this ends here I'm also not retaliating. This is petty but no lines have been crossed. And yeah, Rina's a close friend. I'll keep an eye out, especially if she's too exhausted by the morning and needs help. Devar, want to keep watch with me?"
Last post by Corwin - May 09, 2024, 11:11:05 AM
21:19 <Anastasia> Picke leads Skaya out into the night. "I'm trusting you can handle this. Here are directions to where Rina should be held," A slip of paper is passed toyou, "If in doubt and it all goes worng, get out so we only lose one instead of two."
21:20 <Skaya> "Got it," Skaya says, studying the directions to see if she knows the place and what's around it. "Can you please get Regis and keep him safe? If there's lever for Rina, it'd be him, so we can't let someone grab him."
21:32 <Anastasia> "I sent someone to tell him and calm him down already," Picke says, "I think he was off seeing a lady friend." That amused look is back, "And was throughly occupied while Rina did her own business."
21:35 <Skaya> "Wao~" Shaking her head, Skaya returns her attention to the directions.
21:40 ⇐ Iddy quit (uid408070@lunarnet-1BB5E9E.uxbridge.irccloud.com) Quit: Connection closed for inactivity
21:49 <Anastasia> It's apparently a small guard garrison on the opposite side of town, according to this. Fairly straight forward to reach.
21:52 <Skaya> "Oh. Any chance you can have a uniform you could let me borrow, Guild Master?" Skaya asks Picke. "It'd open more options, if so."
Last post by Corwin - May 09, 2024, 11:10:58 AM
20:54 <Anastasia> A deep snort at that image, "Pound a kobold." Picke says, mulling on it as you return and soon enough the two of you return and mee tup with Milla and Skaya. After a short bit of catching them up, "...and kobolds aside," A slight chuckle, "I'd like someone to lay eyes on Rina, just in case there's something to this beyond pissy merchant throwing authority around."
20:54 <Skaya> "I can definitely give it a try," Skaya muses. "But question becomes, what if things aren't on the level? What would you like me to do?"
20:59 <Anastasia> "That's the big question," Picke says, "Get Rina out safe and sound, and get back here. I can handle the consequences."
21:03 <Skaya> "Okay. Anyone else coming with?"
21:04 <Devar> "I'll help however I can, but I'm not the sort of person who can do much sneaking around." He admits.
21:04 <Anastasia> Milla shakes her head, "Adding more people to a sneak mission ends poorly, and you need a reserve if this goes wrong."
21:05 <Skaya> "Sure thing! I'll be off, then."
21:08 <Anastasia> OOC: Are you going along, Devar, first of all?
21:09 <Devar> OOD: I can't really sneak, so I'll stay with the other non-sneaky people.
21:19 <Anastasia> OOC: Okay, that's fair. Cor in here, Neph in #evil.
Last post by Corwin - May 09, 2024, 11:10:45 AM
19:16 <Anastasia> "Still though, there's strength in those stories," Milla reflects, "But a good story is a strength of its own."
19:19 <Skaya> "Any fortunate encounters that you benefitted from in your own past?" Skaya asks Milla curiously.
19:29 <Anastasia> At that Milla hums, "Not since I was a child, and I only remember that foggily. I was ill at the time," Milla relates, "I had wanted to wield magic, but I lack the gift for it. Studious magic doesn't suit me, and my blood is too normal for sorcerous magic. Still, I had pursued it for some time, until I grew ill."
19:31 — Skaya notes that divine magic wasn't mentioned, but just files it away as she nods to indicate she's listening.
19:42 <Anastasia> "I got extremely sick, and father brought in a healer. It didn't work, and I laid in bed after sick," Milla explains, "Then I remember having a conversation with a handsome man, and then awakening and feeling much better." Her expression is a little distant, "He had a strange way of talking without talking, and seemed to know so much of everything."
19:44 <Skaya> "Never had that experience, to my regret," Skaya voices. "That's how you were set on your path? Which is amazing, by the way."
19:52 <Anastasia> "I took to my fighting lessons better after that," Milla agrees, "I don't even remember his name or his face, just him seeming to be gone in between the moments I dozed."
19:55 <Skaya> "Did you try going through the pantheons, seeing if something jogs your memory?"
19:57 <Anastasia> "A little, but father always said not to worry about it," Milla's expression is thoughtful as she hms, "Just to focus on my training and improve. He kept me busy enough I forgot about it for some time."
19:59 <Skaya> "Oh, that's true enough. It would've driven me crazy not to know, but I'm me." She nods to herself slowly, asking Milla, "That's the past, but what's the future like for you? Where are you aiming? Something to achieve in this kingdom? On this world? Somewhere out there, amidst the outer planes?"
20:03 <Anastasia> "In truth, I don't know. Father's strong but older, he's settled down." Milla says, "I've heard stories, of madness and power, of glory, danger and wealth for those who push beyond. Yet..." Her voice has a longing note, and she slowly licks her lips, "I'm not sure."
20:05 <Skaya> "I am!" Skaya tells her, eyes bright. "If I don't find my end here, I'm going to explore. This world, other worlds, then other planes of existence. There's just so much out there to discover, so many sights that even in this ancient multiverse no one had seen before! So many relics forgotten by all that await rediscovery, along with the wisdom of the ages. It's all out there, if only we reach out for it!"
20:15 <Anastasia> "If only we reach out for it," Milla echos you at that, "Hmph, you dream big."
20:16 <Skaya> "Nothing wrong with that!"
20:31 <Anastasia> "Nothing at all," Milla reflects now, "And now to wonder what's taking them so long. I hope he isn't going to have to fight his way out of there."
20:34 <Skaya> "I'm sure it's fine. And if we need to lead a rescue mission, early morning is the best time. Guards are less alert and all that."
20:42 <Anastasia> A little laugh at that, as...OOC: Let me momentarily pause you and catch Devar up, since next thing is going to depend on that.
20:53 <Anastasia> OOC: #dunes in the next line.
Last post by Corwin - May 09, 2024, 11:10:35 AM
20:35 <•Anastasia> ----------
20:36 <•Anastasia> Whispers spread once Picke and Devar are gone. Milla can't help but smile, "You're insane," she says, "Entertaining, but completely insane."
20:36 <Skaya> "That's fair."
20:47 <•Anastasia> "I could get away with it, but do you have anyone who would save you if you ranw rong of him?" Milla asks now,  "That sort of petty man causes problems."
20:48 <Skaya> "Maybe?" Skaya muses, tapping her chin. "It depends on who he is, I never really paid attention to guys like that. But worst case, can't I just leave? You and Guild Master won't be implicated, then."
20:54 <•Anastasia> "Worst case, he arrests you and hangs you," Milla points out, "Or you escape and you're declared an enemy of the crown." Her smile's dropping a little, "Which would be such a waste."
20:56 <Skaya> "You're right. But sometimes, don't you feel like doing something less than optimal? Maybe stand up to petty tyranny while you're at it? That's how it was for me."
21:02 <•Anastasia> Milla just smiles at that and leads you back, as your fellow receptionists start to calm and wind things down. Back in Picke's office, where Milla shamelessly claims his chair for her own. Once nestled in, "All we really have to do is wait for a message or for father to return. Still though, I do, but throwing your life away on pointless defiance is a wate. You deal with fools like that by
21:02 <•Anastasia> undercutting them. Let them have the petty words they crave, and let them sink under the weight of their own arrogance."
21:05 — Skaya leans against the desk, shaking her head. "I still can't believe it's not Sanda. We all thought her mouth would get her in trouble one day, but then reality had to make a mess of that prediction."
21:08 <•Anastasia> "I'd have thought if anyone of your new little band did it it, it would've been Anne on some principled stand," Milla disagrees, closing her eyes and breathing slowly. "She's going to end up dead for her beliefs one day."
21:08 <Skaya> "Not if I can help it~"
21:21 <•Anastasia> "Not if you can help it," Milla counters, "That confident in your potential?"
21:23 <Skaya> "If I don't die to stupid merchants with royal remits, you mean?" Skaya voices with a lopsided grin. "I think I've done alright for myself. Leading a team worked out well, too. I learned a lot from it, plenty to lead to a breakthrough. I guess I'm not a teenage girl teleporting all over casually, but we can't all be that. I've got plenty of time to become a household name if that's in the cards."
21:24 → Iddy joined (uid408070@lunarnet-1BB5E9E.uxbridge.irccloud.com)
21:31 <•Anastasia> "A teenage girl teleporting casually. Tell me more," Milla's own smile is there, "What story birthed that image?"
21:35 — Skaya gives her a deadpan look. "Of course it's Seira. Just how many famous teenage wizard girls do you know of? Seriously, who starts training in magic that early? She's clearly nuts. Crazier than I am!"
21:35 <Skaya> She snorts, adding, "Ah, but those legends of teleporting all over are the best! Like in the middle of a kraken summit or above an active volcano or missing the target so badly she ended up in a whole other Prime one day!"
21:41 <•Anastasia> "Oh, the Godsrush," Milla chats right back,  "Of course. I heard stories of all of them as I grew up. I always liked the Wizard-Queen Alyssa and," A snap of her fingers, "That reminds me! That's who you remind me of! I remmeber the story of Lady Sylvie and her inspirations."
21:43 <Skaya> "Ah, gods might be a bit of a steep target," Skaya voices, before pursing her lips. "Then again, I already have Seira beat by accidentally teleporting beyond space and time and living to tell the tale. Maybe I'll come up with something more inspiring than what Celestia's selling one day!"