News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Questioning the Notion

Started by Brian, February 26, 2008, 07:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Governer Fawkes is, to Phil's casual mindscan (which can only brush the surface of this slightly more willful mind), tired, old, and firmly convinced that his colleage has somehow screwed everything up.  He also seems confident he can make the deal that will save him and some trusted friends.

The maid(?) also fetches a large basket of bread and cheese for everyone outside while Phil, Nathan, Bjorn, and Tim go in.  Tom shifts his shoulders uncomfortably, but says nothing, just staying with the other thralls and trying not to glare hatefully at Fawkes and his aide.  Once inside, Fawkes slowly leads the way around a corner, down a hall, and to a large drawing room with plush chairs.  He laboriously heaves himself into a larger chair, and inclines his head to Nathan.  The house seems eerily deserted; other than the maid outside, no one else seems to be nearby.

"Now," he says, squinting at the toady.  "What seems to be troubling you, Master Massif?"
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Rezantis

"Several things, Governor," Nathan says, his tone flat, "But first of all, I would like you to tell me of the recent . . . 'incident' . . . at one of your training camps, and what you've done to get the situation under control."
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Brian

Fawkes grunts in reply and waves one hand, as though it were inconsequential.  "We're both allies to the same cause, Master Massif.  We both have reasons to be wary of the Church ... and the Church has reason to be wary of us.  We strive to be cautious, but at the end of the day, only so much can be done.  We don't have machines for ourselves to move people between the Spheres without the Church noticing, and this is ... for now ... their land.

"The Church is heading the investigation, of course, so our information is second hand," Phil reads: 'few spies', "but it appears it was mere happenstance.  A Church heretic decided to abscond with some of our fine product and use them for our own means.  I can't imagine it as a setback so much as a convenient diversion.  With their attention devoted to one of their own fallen, production has gone up by nearly double."

He shrugs.  "Beyond that, control lies in the hands of the Church ... hence the importance of relocating operations to your promised safe haven in Anabara."

~exploding tag~

Rezantis

"Indeed," Nathan says calmly, "But I'm still concerned as to, first, how a heretic managed to abscond with your product in the first place, and secondly, as to where he is now, and what will happen once the church tracks him down and decides to investigate where he got his troops?"

Brian

"You're perfectly welcome to ask the Church yourself," Fawkes drawls.  "But none have investigated us; all of the blame is on the Church.  Since the house and all records were burned, there's nothing remaining to link us to him ... and since knowledge of the Gates is required to make our product, then logically blame will go to the heretic.  And if he's captured and questioned, he knows nothing of us, so I don't believe there's anything for him to say."

The 'maid' enters the room and mumbles something inaudible, setting down a tea service.  Fawkes pours tea for everyone, putting a twist of lemon in his own.  Once she's gone, he nods again.  "To the remaining question, the soldiers had not yet been impressed with who was to command them.  They're easily controlled until we install that final safeguard ... upon purchase."

~exploding tag~

Rezantis

"Alright then," Nathan nods, looking somewhat mollified, "I can understand your logic in this instance, then.  You said that production had gone up nearly double; where are we at currently?"

Brian

"We have three thousand prepared, with another eight hundred to be completed by the end of this week," Fawkes replies, smiling slightly.  "At another seven hundred a week, or so, we could have slightly more than seven thousand of your originally planned five thousand ready."

He shakes his head, "But I am getting ahead of myself.  The contract was for five thousand, so that is what we shall have -- three weeks early, no less."

~exploding tag~

Dracos

"That is more than acceptable.  Alright, a change of plans in light of the previous sabotage and the accelerated production.  We will take the readied three thousand now to ensure that no accidents occur with the readied stock.  In two and a half weeks we will return and collect both the remainder and yourselves to bring back to Anabara."
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Fawkes squints at Phil, then shakes his head and turns to Nathan.  "However, I believe we could increase production significantly if we could relocate our operations to Anabara sooner; if the candidates you wrote me about are ready to undergo training, and given the ease of accessing the Gates in your sphere as compared to our own....  If you need more soldiers faster, then it's best handled in the safety of Anabara."

~exploding tag~

Rezantis

Nathan nods.

"They very nearly are.  How much notice would you require to move your operations?"

Brian

"We have eagerly anticipated the day; we could be finished in significantly less than a week, at the cost of additional training and conditioning time for the soldiers, or a fortnight to leave production undisturbed when we arrive," Fawkes says nodding as he sips his tea again.  "Compromises between these absolutes are entirely possible, of course; I leave that decision to you, since it is your transport we will be requiring."

~exploding tag~

Rezantis

"Hmm," Nathan says, rubbing his chin thoughtfully, "I'll make some final preparations.  This is good news, but will require some changes to our schedule - but as long as proper secrecy from the Church can be maintained, I would prefer the the fortnight.  At this point I would prefer seamless, and leave production undisturbed."