News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Background and Info Stuffage

Started by Iron Dragoon, July 03, 2010, 05:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

Okay, off the bat, this is a 3.5e game. I'm still in the planning stages, so this will get updated with more info on house rules and such as I consult with more experienced GMs.

All primary casters must multi-class into something else, at least a little. I'm aware that casters, in this case, tend to be a bit OP, so this will slow their progression a bit. And lend the more 'agent' air to the characters.

Players will start at level 4, and while I won't restrict anything, the common races in my original land will be Humans, Dwarves, with a small spattering of Halflings and Wood Elves.

Also, just a heads up. I plan on including the effect of things like terrain and survival. I won't be heavy handed about it, and most of the time as long as there's *someone* who has a decent score in it, I'll hand wave you guys foraging for food/water. But be aware that if by some weird twist of the game the group ends up in a place where it should logically be difficult to survive or find food, it *will* be difficult to.

That said, most of the terrain inside Anvarr is pretty hospitable; it's mostly forest with a small spattering of farmland and mountains. But if you, for some reason, have to climb to the top of a mountain, you need to be aware of and plan for survival in such an area.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Iron Dragoon

Your Mission, Should You Choose to Accept It...

The players are agents for the King Alric Kellhaus, ruler of Anvaar. The players are under the employ of the King's Spymaster, Nathaniel Hamoh. The Prince and Heir, Lord Arturo Kellhaus, has spent his life dedicated to the study of wisdom, leadership, and learning war as a follower of Torm. The Prince left the capital to lead a campaign against the reports of an undead threat in the northern mountains of the kingdom. Unfortunately, the Prince fell in his campaign, without ending the threat.

With the Heir dead, and the King's elderly state, it is unsure and unacceptable for him to try to produce another at this point. Fortunately for Anvaar, the King had numerous dalliances before he took the throne. As any cautious ruler, he naturally had his Spymaster keep a cautious eye on these bastard children, in case one of them discovered their parentage and demanded acknowledgment. This is paying off in an unforeseen way, however.

The most suitable of these bastard children to fill the role of Heir is one Victor Alger, son of a maid in the Barony of one Nikolai Glosam. Victor, being the son of a simple maid, enlisted into the military and rose through the ranks become an Officer. He is currently in charge of a unit of scouts, dispatched to the western flank of the expected lines of battle with the undead.

Though unhappy about diluting the Royal Bloodline, Nathaniel dispatches the players to secure the possible new Heir and present him to King Alric for personal evaluation. News of Prince Arturo's death has been contained, as much as possible, and the seat must be filled before rumors rage out of control. New that an aging king that lost his only heir must be thwarted before one of the king's many enemies moves to take advantage of it.

Though parentage of Victor has been tightly kept, knowledge of the king's dalliances is well known, and the road to Victor will not be a simple one to follow.

Anvarr, a quick look..

I'm not going to go into detailed construction of my own country/world for this, but I've got some basics in mind..

Anvarr is loosely based off of a mesh between the Cossaks and an Arturian court. They mostly resemble the Russians, but hold Duty and Honor as high tenets of their culture. A debt is always honored and paid, those who do not are shunned by society. The terrain is about what you'd expect, fairly thick forests in the North-East, East, and Southern ranges with a series of mountains in the North and North-West, and the West having sparse forests which have been clear cut to make room for farming.

Population is fairly low, 1-2 million, and everyone is used to hard living due to cool summers and biting winters. Staying inside with liquor and women tend to be the most common ways of passing time. The most common employment for people are as famers, soldiers, blacksmiths and masons. Architecture tends to be wide, single story stone houses with wooden beam roofs. Multiple generations tend to live together, and most houses have two large fireplaces on each end of the house, with a cooking fire in the center to spread heat.

Merc

Iddy's a putz and won't say what 'normal' is for him chargen-wise, so I just defaulted to the method usually used by Dune et al. (Using !rollchar twice on Serith, and picking best set of scores)

[19:27] <Serith> Merc's Scores: 17, 16, 16, 14, 11, 11
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Merc

<Serith> Robert's Scores: 18, 16, 13, 12, 12, 12
<Serith> Thaddaeus's Scores: 15, 14, 14, 13, 12, 11
<Serith> Karl's Scores: 18, 18, 16, 14, 13, 11

Vir

Yeah, I'm interested too. I'll go with the scores that were on IRC (Roberts)

Aziraphale

Yup, Thaddaeus reporting for duty. I be in dis shiznit.

Tehan

I was Karl, currently leaning towards a Rogue/Sorc halfling.

Tehan

So, when's first session happening exactly? All I know at the mo is Saturday/Sundayish.

Iron Dragoon

Translation of Iddy's time:

* 2pm-7pm PST / 5pm-10pm EST (any day, but it'll be previous day to Iddy's perspective)
    * 10am - 2am PST / 1pm-5am EST (saturday)

---

Sunday 4am-9am

* Sat 8pm - Sun 1am (central)
    * Tue 4pm - 9pm (central)
    * Thu 4pm - 9pm (central)
    * Fri 4pm - 9pm (central)

Everyone say, "Thank you Merc."

Merc

That translation is my schedule! =p

But timezones as I know them:
Saturday 8pm-midnight (Me/USA-CST)
Sunday 4am-8am (Iddy/Iraq)
Sunday 11am-3pm (Tehan/Aussie)

Vir

10pm - 2am AST (Vir/Atlantic Canada)

Dracos

Checking in: Things still progressing slow but sure here? :)
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

I dunno. I guess we're on break until Iddy finishes his vacation? We only really had one session.

Iron Dragoon

We're on break until my schedule clears, yeah. After being gone for 9 months, things keep popping up. People, too. I suddenly have a lot of people who want to hang out, and I just became an adopted uncle, too, so I gotta do the whole kid thing on occasion. Hopefully, it'll be clear again shortly.

I hope, at least. I'm tired of people =p

Also, new toy can only be used on weekends, soooo.. >.>

Anyway, hopefully in a week or two I'll be able to get another session in. Alternatively, we can shift times or something.

Iron Dragoon

Alright, I'm wanting to get this going again. It's been a while so I'm not sure if anyone's schedule has changed, so lets all reestablish a time/day.