News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

04. That... could have gone a lot better.

Started by Corwin, July 18, 2010, 09:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

<--->

[17:09] <Kallen> A bit more consultation reveals a supposed method to extract the Fyrbloats from the hedge. The location, roughly, is known to the Autumn Court- it's always a bit different every time, but a set of fairly specific directions is attained-
[17:09] <Kallen> "There's a gateway at the V.C.U," Phi's contact reports, referring to the city's university. "It's behind the gym, near the sports fields- this pair of ancient trees form an archway, and if you activate it you'll get to the Planation, this great big field of fruits.
[17:09] <Kallen> Don't touch them! They bite! The Fyrbloats aren't there, anyway. Head to the edge and there should be a river. They're usually somewhere on the bank, or not far off it- you might need to hunt around.
[17:09] <Kallen> But whatever you do, don't let the stadium lights out of sight! You might want to turn them on first or something... anyway, if you lose them, find 'em, or you'll get lost. Getting lost in the Hedge is such a drag. I'm not coming to get you.
[17:09] <Kallen> And I never told you this, it's not fruit-gathering season and I'll be in a world of shit if anyone finds out, Phi. Even if it's for the Winterwatch."
[17:11] <Phi> "...For the record, fruit-gathering wasn't my idea, okay? We could've just waited for the Court to stock up, but no, apparently we have to be heroes and break every law the freehold has..."
[17:12] <Kallen> "It's not strictly a 'law', and more a 'suggestion'."
[17:12] * Phi is clearly unkeen on this adventure, squirming a little in his seat.
[17:13] <Phi> "This isn't what they pay me for. I'm here to fix PCs, not go on some magical gardening errand..."
[17:14] <Kallen> "Dude, do you have any idea how badass it makes you look?"
[17:15] * Charlie does his best to appear as reassuring as a dollman can. "Fine by me, it's my idea anyhow. And still a damn sight better than 'Hey let's walk up to a fucking fetch and expect him to cooperate!'"
[17:16] * Phi takes the glasses off the instant he reads the word 'badass'. "Well, if you put it that way..."
[17:16] <Ivy> "That was not the best of plans," Ivy agrees, "even if they can bleed and die just like any of us."
[17:18] <Kallen> "Yeah, there's the bright side. Good luck!" A message pops up, informing Phi that his contact- Bunnyhunter- is now away.
[17:21] <Phi> "...Man. Bunnyhunter? That's almost as gay as Cherrypicker."
[17:21] <Ivy> "Which one do you use?" Ivy politely inquires.
[17:22] <Phi> "Ha, ha, very funny. You're not still mad about the whole car incident, are you?"
[17:23] <Ivy> "Would you like me to lie and say no?"
[17:24] <Charlie> "I prefer to call it an automotive adventure."
[17:25] <Phi> "Anyway. How do we get to the gym? My ride is busted for, well, reasons I shouldn't need to repeat."
[17:26] <Ivy> "Charlie has graciously offered to drive this time around," Ivy remind Phi. "I believe we'll have no problems on that front."
[17:27] <Charlie> "Teleportation, I learned this spell yesterday - oh yeah, car's probably better.  I'll drive then."
[17:29] <Phi> "Eh, sure. Just hope that the old man can afford a ride big enough for the three of us."
[17:31] <Charlie> "If only I owned a successful business!" Charlie laughs, then waves everyone out.  "Shall we go?"
[17:31] * Phi follows the old man, strolling leisurely.
[17:32] <Kallen> Few people are out this late at night, and getting from the library to the university is a mere fifteen-minute drive. Charlie's car, unlike Phi's, seems quite servicable (if not spacious.)
[17:32] <Kallen> A few lights are on around the campus, but no night-owl students are out and about in this weather. A map of the campus is evident when the motley heads through an open gate- a red circle has been painted around the gym, evidently quite recently.
[17:32] <Kallen> The towering lights of the fields are easily recognizable (and operational), just above one of the buildings on campus before them.
[17:33] <Phi> "Okay, that's twice in a row. I think we're brushing past coincidence now."
[17:35] <Ivy> "You really thought it could have been coincidence last time?" Ivy wonders out loud, glancing at Phi.
[17:36] <Charlie> Charlie's face clouds over, and he licks his thumb and attempts to rub the paint off momentarily.
[17:36] <Phi> "Not that someone's marked the gateways, the fact that we're never the first ones here. Do the Black Dogs have that much territory, or what?"
[17:36] <Kallen> A bit of it scrapes off his nail. He could probably clean it up if he put some effort into it. It seems like regular paint.
[17:37] * Charlie stops and puts some effort into it, then! "I won't be a moment, just don't want any company this time."
[17:37] <Ivy> "You could always ask your girlfriend?" Ivy suggests brightly.
[17:38] * Phi looks away, silent. "I thought about that, but after last night...I'm not sure. She could be one of them by now."
[17:39] <Kallen> The billboard's plastic surface doesn't have the paint adhere to it as much as it would to wood or metal, but it still takes Charlie about fifteen minutes to scrape it off. Nobody passes by during this time.
[17:42] <Charlie> "Right then, let's go."
[17:43] <Ivy> roll 6d10
[17:43] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 6d10 and gets 37." [6d10=2, 8, 4, 5, 8, 10]
[17:43] <Ivy> roll 1d10
[17:43] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 1d10 and gets 9." [1d10=9]
[17:44] <Ivy> Having had more than ample time to study the map, now that Charlie is done she can easily proceed towards the gym!
[17:44] <Kallen> The motley approaches the rear of the gymnasium- just on the other side is the large sporting field, illuminating the greenery below and the stands surrounding it.
[17:44] <Kallen> Locating the trees in question is easily done; they aren't much to look at, but their limp branches do appear to have mingled together, greating a veriable doorway just behind the stands. A small plaque sits just out the front-
[17:44] <Kallen> Planted in Respect
[17:44] <Kallen> Dr. Archibald Slate
[17:44] <Kallen> Lest We Forget.
[17:44] <Kallen> A cold wind blows, ruffling the branches.
[17:45] <Ivy> roll 3d10 sure why not
[17:45] <Phi> "Well, that was easier than last time. Don't mind me."
[17:45] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 3d10 sure why not and gets 18." [3d10=3, 6, 9]
[17:47] <Phi> "Hm? What're you thinking about?"
[17:48] <Charlie> "Probably because it isn't a trap this time," Charlie muses.  "Handspan's off his rocker, all signs point to trouble in the court... either of you heard anything else juicy there lately?"
[17:49] <Ivy> "Just reminiscing," Ivy distractedly responds, engaged by the plaque.
[17:52] <Phi> roll 6d10 for backing Ivy up
[17:52] * Hatbot --> "Phi rolls 6d10 for backing Ivy up and gets 32." [6d10=7, 4, 1, 7, 4, 9]
[17:52] <Ivy> "Something juicy?" Ivy repeats, shaking herself out of her stupor. "It appears the Spinegott is on the loose. Would that qualify?"
[17:52] <Kallen> OOC: Occult+int rolls to know what she's talking about, to the curious
[17:53] <Phi> roll 3d10 for don't leave me in the dark
[17:53] * Hatbot --> "Phi rolls 3d10 for don't leave me in the dark and gets 13." [3d10=5, 5, 3]
[17:53] <Phi> "Spinegott? Is that German or something?"
[17:53] * Phi looks at Ivy, bewildered.
[17:54] <Charlie> 5d10
[17:55] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls 5d10 and gets 22." [5d10=7, 3, 2, 8, 2]
[17:55] <Ivy> "A vicious creature of death," Ivy responds with an amused smile. "It may well be German."
[17:55] <Charlie> "That's... bad, eh?  Hm."
[17:56] <Phi> "Well. Can't be much worse than the hounds from last night, right?"
[17:57] * Ivy gives Phi a slightly incredulous look. "If it bears specific mention, you can bet it is much worse. Consider it a threat equal to a True Fae."
[17:57] <Phi> "...Ah."
[17:57] * Phi works on opening up the gateway, suddenly looking a lot more keen to find this fruit and get out.
[17:58] <Phi> "Did he tell us how to activate it? There isn't some sort of complex rule we have to follow, is there?"
[18:00] * Phi taps his glamour, willing the gateway to open.
[18:01] <Kallen> The branches seem to momentarily gain strength, twisting and wrapping into each other to great a more solid archway! The air within shimmers- row after row of tall, thorny-looking plants, arranged in neat lines lie beyond.
[18:02] <Phi> "Right. Killer fruit. Surely that can't be anything worth worrying about?" Phi steps into the gateway...
[18:03] * Charlie merrily follows!
[18:03] <Ivy> If Ivy won't try to eat the fruit, the fruit won't try to eat Ivy. It's a simple enough informal contract she decides to abide by while venturing into the Hedge this time.
[18:04] <Kallen> Once inside, Phi finds the air a little fresher- at least inside the hedge, the smog of the outside world never gets in! Glancing up, he can see a few tiny clouds floating above the plantation, about the size of a pillow. They're quite thick and fluffy; with an brief pulse, one of them lets out a burst of lightning just behind another row of plants!
[18:05] <Kallen> A tiny voice squeaks out-  "Ow! No! I'm working hard, I'm working hard!"
[18:05] * Charlie pointedly ignores this, directing the others (especially Phi) to the river. Easy in, easy out, hopefully.
[18:07] * Phi winces at the sight of the cloud. Too familiar. Despite Charlie's efforts he can't help but look towards it...
[18:08] <Kallen> It's a happy cloud- Phi can easily imagine it with a smiley face, just like in those cartoonish platformers. It floats along merrily, paying no attention to him.
[18:09] <Kallen> The rows of plants, however, hem in oppressively- well, everything seems oppressive in the hedge. A few of them curl up and seem to snap briefly at Charlie and Phi as they shove their way through the field- with so many, getting a few nicks and scratches is unavoidable- but Ivy swears they're almost purring at her as she passes by. Some of them seem to open up, revealing rows of pointy teeth.
[18:09] <Phi> "...Huh. Maybe I'm thinking too hard." Phi shakes himself, following Charlie eventually.
[18:09] <Phi> "...You have to wonder who the hell would eat fruit like this."
[18:10] <Charlie> "I prefer not to, actually!"
[18:11] * Ivy smiles at the fruits as she passes by them, humming to herself.
[18:12] <Kallen> After about five minutes of trudging through the plantation- thankfully, it's not too hard to keep the giant stadium lights in sight, as they tower over even the plants, albeit fuzzily- the motley hears a splashing sound.
[18:12] <Kallen> The plants part before them, revealing- a water mill? A stony edifice sits half within a flowing river, and a great wheel turns away to the river's rushing flow. A chimney pokes out the top; as the motley watches, a puff of cloud pops out, and begins to float back into the plantation.
[18:15] <Phi> "I'd be tempted to do something to that mill, if I wasn't unsure that the creatures the clouds zapped were any more friendly."
[18:16] * Phi simply settles for walking alongside the river, looking for fruit that might not eat him.
[18:16] <Ivy> "It's not what we're here for," Ivy responds, shaking her head. Watching the lights in the corner of her eye, she follows Phi to the riverbed.
[18:17] <Charlie> "Easy in, easy out," Charlie repeats out loud this time.  "Just move along."
[18:18] <Kallen> The motley begins to trudge alongside the river; the planation gives way to a thicky wooded forest a short distance away. The lights of the stadium grow distant, but still shine clearly, lighting the path back home. Quite a few different fruits seem in evidence, though none have the characteristic red tinge of the Fyrbloats. A headless body has lodged itself in some reeds by the river-
[18:18] <Kallen> -clad in jeans and a clingy white T-shirt.
[18:19] * Phi suddenly feels violently ill...
[18:19] <Phi> "...The fuck is that?"
[18:19] * Ivy observes the body calmly, asking, "Is that the first time you've seen a dead person?"
[18:20] <Charlie> "Either hedge tricks, or an unlucky Black Dog.  Either way, no sense staring."
[18:20] <Phi> "Not just that. It looks like...fuck."
[18:20] * Phi looks down at himself...
[18:20] <Kallen> The body appears quite muscular.
[18:22] <Ivy> "That appears to be wishful thinking," Ivy states doubtfully.
[18:22] <Phi> The resemblance is still enough to unnerve him, but he eventually recovers and shakes it off. He reaches down to dislodge the body, unwilling to look at it for any longer than he has to.
[18:22] <Charlie> "Hey, whoa, don't touch that!"
[18:23] <Phi> "What? It's not like it's gonna bite my hand off."
[18:23] <Kallen> The body is shoved out from within the sticky vines- a few catch Phi's hands, but he's able to rip himself away from their clinginess with ease. It soon floats down the river.
[18:23] * Phi sighs with relief as it drifts into the distance. "'Kay. Where were we?"
[18:23] <Charlie> "Actually it could've done just that.  You never know in here.  Keep your eyes on the lights and your mind on what we came for."
[18:25] <Phi> "Yeah, yeah. Sorry." Phi gets back to hunting.
[18:25] <Kallen> The river curves around a bend just a short distance away- only one of the stadium lights is visible now. From just out of sight around this corner, a deep-yet-nasal voice can just be heard. "Working hard... or hardly working? Ha! Ha! Ha!" It's followed by a 'cht, cht, cht' sound, like something's being cut.
[18:26] <Kallen> Just before the curve, the motley can spy the branch of a tree hanging over the river. Bulging red fruits hang just beneath it, looking like they can barely hold on before falling with a splat.
[18:26] <Kallen> *before falling, they haven't fallen. >_>
[18:27] * Ivy doesn't stop, proceeding towars the tree and the fruits they've come here to collect with as much stealth as she can muster. Keeping an eye on the stadium lights is no longer necessary, not as long one of the others does, and she keeps an eye on him.
[18:28] * Charlie pauses, keeping his eyes firmly on the sole remaining light, and nods to Ivy. "Fruits like you, I'll stay here and watch the gate."
[18:28] <Kallen> OOC: Make yon stealth+dex check?
[18:28] <Phi> "I'll stay back here to keep the old man company, then."
[18:28] <Ivy> roll 4d10 willpower!
[18:29] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 4d10 willpower! and gets 35." [4d10=8, 8, 10, 9]
[18:29] <Ivy> roll 1d10
[18:29] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 1d10 and gets 6." [1d10=6]
[18:30] <Kallen> The grass itself seems to muffle Ivy's footsteps at her passing, and the vines nearby bend and twist to keep her out of sight! Reaching the tree is a simple task. The fruits are a bit high for her to reach, but there's no shortage of sticks around, nor does the tree seem hard to climb.
[18:30] <Kallen> roll 3d10
[18:30] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 3d10 and gets 25." [3d10=8, 7, 10]
[18:30] <Kallen> roll 4d10
[18:30] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 4d10 and gets 24." [4d10=8, 2, 6, 8]
[18:31] <Kallen> roll 1d10
[18:31] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 1d10 and gets 9." [1d10=9]
[18:31] <Phi> "...OK. Anyone else hear that?"
[18:32] <Charlie> "I heard it."  Charlie doesn't budge.
[18:32] * Ivy decides to first try knocking one of the fruits off the tree and catching it, since that would keep her firmly on the ground should anything happen, unlike while climbing the tree.
[18:33] <Kallen> roll 1d10
[18:33] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 1d10 and gets 4." [1d10=4]
[18:35] <Kallen> Poke.. poke.. off it comes! It lands in Ivy's hands; a bit of it breaks apart, leaking runny red fluid between her fingers. It seems to have stayed mostly whole, however- but it's obviously quite fragile. An elongated shadow looms over the grass before her, owned by something just out of sight.
[18:36] <Phi> "Nice catch...but maybe you oughta get back here. Now."
[18:36] <Ivy> Close enough, Ivy decides, returning.
[18:39] * Charlie looks slightly disappointed that Ivy's only gotten one of the fragile fruits, but gives her a thumbs up anyhow. "Back out, same way, let's go?"
[18:40] <Kallen> Just behind Ivy, a monstrous figure appears; he stands twice the height of any normal man, with an elongated face (about the length of a football, and about as wide); clad in only a dirty white wrap around his torso. A massive sack rests on his shoulders, and he holds a great sickle in another hand, dripping with redness. He squints dimly towards Charlie and Phi-
[18:40] <Kallen> -the trees still shadow Ivy's passing. "New workers?" he grunts, peering at them.
[18:41] <Kallen> A dog brays somewhere in the distance.
[18:43] * Ivy stills, to see how the others handle it.
[18:43] * Charlie thinks furiously and decides the best option is to... simply ignore the man and try to act as though we know what we're doing, placing a firm hand on Phi's shoulder and appearing to guide him back towards the plantation (and the way home)
[18:44] <Phi> "Uh...yeah, sure. We're just gonna head back to the plantation now, so don't bother following us. C'mon, Ivy, let's go get fruit-picking!"
[18:44] * Phi beckons to Ivy, trying his best to keep a straight face
[18:46] * Charlie desperately tries to communicate to Phi to shut up and don't give Ivy away through the sheer power of thought, but says nothing and keeps trying to turn him around.
[18:46] <Kallen> The creature follows Phi's gaze, tracking it towards Ivy; his eyes bulge in surprise, and he looks accusingly at the fruit in her hands. "That.. is not for picking!" he declares, pointing towards her. "Ha ha ha! Perhaps you should be picked, little flower!" he declares, brandishing his sickle!
[18:47] <Ivy> "I hate you so much right now," Ivy declares, seeing no option but to bolt for the plantation!
[18:47] <Kallen> OOC: Make yon athletics+dexterity checkings, Ivy
[18:48] <Ivy> roll 3d10 I guess this is why I have willpower
[18:48] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 3d10 I guess this is why I have willpower and gets 15." [3d10=6, 5, 4]
[18:50] <Kallen> Twice as tall as Ivy is and with equivalently longer legs, the creature still has trouble catching up with her immediately. She has a start, though, as long as she can avoid dropping the damned Fyrbloat! OOC: This is a chase, it is chasing Ivy, whoever accumulates 5 successes on ath+dex rolls first wins barring unusual actions or interference!
[18:53] <Charlie> The instant he sees the creature start to chase Ivy, Charlie unholsters his handgun and prepares to contribute unusual action and interference of a bullety nature.
[18:55] <Kallen> OOC: I don't care for init rolls here. Fire yon trusty handgun, it is dex+firearms+3-1(range) and the number of successes you get equals the damage he takes.
[18:56] <Charlie> OOC: Also spending 1 Glamour to activate Nimble for the scene
[18:56] <Kallen> OOC: Remind me on effect?
[18:56] <Charlie> OOC: Gives me 9 again on Dex rolls for the scene, and adds my Wyrd dots to Dodge
[18:57] <Kallen> OOC: Okies
[18:57] <Phi> "Aw, shit. What've I managed to do now?!" Phi regrets speaking up and quickly charges at the creature, looking to grab Ivy and run while Charlie distracts it!
[18:57] <Charlie> 5d10
[18:57] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls 5d10 and gets 24." [5d10=2, 1, 8, 3, 10]
[18:57] <Charlie> d10
[18:57] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls d10 and gets 10." [d10=10]
[18:58] <Kallen> OOC: you may continue exploding
[18:58] <Charlie> d10
[18:58] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls d10 and gets 5." [d10=5]
[18:58] <Phi> OOC: Activating Velocity of the Zephyr, 1 Glamour to add Wyrd to Speed for rest of scene
[18:59] <Kallen> A heavy bullet flies towards the strange-looking creature, blowing a hole through it's shoulder! It can be hurt, after all- the sack drops, and a blackish, oily liquid mingles with the red fluid that seeps out of the bag! OOC: Phi, command?
[19:00] * Phi charges at the creature, hoping to knock it down with the momentum after Charlie's surprise success!
[19:01] <Kallen> OOC: Erm, make yon brawl+strength check!
[19:01] <Phi> OOC: Speed doesn't even get a mention? D: Well, too late to change now.
[19:01] <Phi> roll 2d10 for at least I die instead of Ivy now
[19:01] * Hatbot --> "Phi rolls 2d10 for at least I die instead of Ivy now and gets 10." [2d10=9, 1]
[19:04] <Kallen> Phi isn't sure he managed to actually injure the creature at all with his clumsy rush, but he shoved it back a couple of steps, giving Ivy room to spring to safety, behind Charlie! "Thieves! Vagrants!" bawls the spindly figure, heaving up his sack and dumping a thick red liquid all over himself! It clings to his body-
[19:04] <Kallen> -coating it, seeping into his mouth and nose! He raises a bloody sickle high-
[19:04] <Phi> "Aw, shit!" Phi makes to run back the way he came!
[19:05] <Kallen> roll 4d10 TOO LATE your defence is 3 right
[19:05] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 4d10 TOO LATE your defence is 3 right and gets 19." [4d10=5, 2, 8, 4]
[19:05] <Kallen> It slices into Phi's back, leaving a grazing wound that smarts like anything! OOC: 1 lethal so far.
[19:06] <Kallen> OOC: Ivy, command?!
[19:06] <Phi> "SHIT, that stings!" Phi grits his teeth, running like a man possessed!
[19:07] <Ivy> "I'm heading back!" Ivy calls over her shoulder, now able to see the beckoning lights of the stadium and making her way towards them as quickly as she can while keeping the fruit in her arms secure! The plants will let her pass, she's sure of that, and then all three of them would be out and safe!
[19:07] <Kallen> Dogs bray in the darkness. Several of them, this time. Ivy begins her dash back to the plantation...
[19:09] <Charlie> Charlie's keeping his mouth shut this time, retreating with the others and snapping off another shot at the harvester if possible?
[19:09] <Kallen> OOC: Yeaah Phi's kinda making that hard, check as before except at -3. Don't botch!
[19:10] <Charlie> Well... dude doused himself with Fyrward, so if Charlie can't help, Phi's probably dead anyway!  Goin for it.
[19:12] <Charlie> 2d10
[19:12] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls 2d10 and gets 15." [2d10=9, 6]
[19:12] <Charlie> 1d10
[19:12] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls 1d10 and gets 1." [1d10=1]
[19:13] <Kallen> The bullet slams into the creature, but it barely seems to notice this time around, chasing after Phi and lashing out once again with his cruel device- aiming to scoop up Phi's leg!
[19:13] <Kallen> roll 4d10
[19:13] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 4d10 and gets 22." [4d10=8, 4, 9, 1]
[19:13] <Kallen> OOC: Phi, make yon strength check?
[19:14] <Phi> roll 2d10 for I thought this would involve more dex checks
[19:14] * Hatbot --> "Phi rolls 2d10 for I thought this would involve more dex checks and gets 4." [2d10=3, 1]
[19:14] <Kallen> OOC: No, this is a str check which you botched
[19:15] <Kallen> The sickle catches Phi inside the kneecap! A terrible gash is slashed, and the young changeling topples up with a searing pain blossoming from his leg!
[19:16] <Phi> "Shiiiiiiiiiit!"
[19:16] <Kallen> OOC: Command, Phi?
[19:17] <Phi> OOC: Can I get up?
[19:17] <Kallen> OOC: You're gonna be limping around.
[19:18] * Phi winces, but forces himself to charge with everything he has left in spite of the pain. (OOC: Run like shit, spend Willpower, cry deeply when I fail regardless.)
[19:20] <Charlie> Much as part of him would like to just ditch the bumbling youngster, Charlie subscribes to No Changeling Left Behind, so he stops, aims more carefully, and takes more measured shots.
[19:21] <Kallen> OOC: Fire yon gun. He fell over so there's no -3 penalty this time.
[19:21] <Charlie> 5d10
[19:21] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls 5d10 and gets 27." [5d10=8, 9, 7, 1, 2]
[19:21] <Charlie> d10
[19:21] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls d10 and gets 9." [d10=9]
[19:22] <Charlie> d10
[19:22] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls d10 and gets 1." [d10=1]
[19:23] <Kallen> Another bullet slams into the creature, but something of it's vast size- and fae nature- can clearly take a bit more than Charlie's dishing out! He's sure he's hitting- little splats of blood from his red-encrusted body make certain of that, but it has eyes only for the changeling in front of him...
[19:23] <Kallen> roll 3d10 willpower-spending go
[19:23] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 3d10 willpower-spending go and gets 18." [3d10=7, 7, 4]
[19:25] <Kallen> This time, though, the blade lands on the earth next to Phi's limping body, giving him time to make it a few steps away! Two spots of white- his eyes- are the only thing that isn't crimson about him!
[19:26] <Kallen> Meanwhile, Ivy manages to catch up to the watermill after putting on a burst of speed- no, it's jammed up. Something's gotten clogged in the wheel, and it's ground to a halt. She can practically taste a buildup of raw power in the air...
[19:28] <Kallen> OOC: Phi's put a bit of distance between himself and the beastly thing, but it's still fixated on him and he's going nowhere fast. Commands?
[19:28] * Ivy cringes, but what could she possibly do but try to get out as fast as possible? She's already carrying a fragile fruit, and losing it may well mean terrible things to Alan. Going back without any weapons to use against the crazy gardener isn't much of an option, either.
[19:29] * Phi puts two and two together and jumps into the river! The creature can't follow without washing away the Fyrbloat, can it?
[19:30] * Charlie stands his ground and keeps plinking away at the thing as long as it seems Phi's in danger
[19:31] <Kallen> Phi manages to flounder his way in the water! The creature, possessed, dives in after him... and howls in pain a moment later! The two of them can barely swim- the waters are unexpectedly deep- and the current is faster than it looked at a glance! They begin to float away... OOC: str+aths to swim properly, firearms as usual charlie. No range penalty this time.
[19:31] <Phi> roll 5d10 for MORE willpower
[19:31] * Hatbot --> "Phi rolls 5d10 for MORE willpower and gets 27." [5d10=5, 5, 2, 5, 10]
[19:31] <Phi> roll d10
[19:32] * Hatbot --> "Phi rolls d10 and gets 2." [d10=2]
[19:32] <Kallen> It's not much, but Phi's able to keep his head up and somehow stay close to the bank! He catches a hand on the mill as he passes by it, but- god, the pain in his leg, and this river doesn't feel all that clean, either...
[19:32] <Charlie> 6d10 for shootings
[19:32] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls 6d10 for shootings and gets 32." [6d10=5, 2, 8, 10, 4, 3]
[19:32] <Charlie> 1d10
[19:32] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls 1d10 and gets 8." [1d10=8]
[19:33] <Phi> "I should've thought that one through a little longer...fuck, that hurts..." Phi tries to pull himself up.
[19:33] <Kallen> Another blast catches the only visible part of the fae- in the head! It bubbles for a moment, but soon sinks beneath the surface of the water...
[19:33] <Kallen> It's not too hard-
[19:33] <Kallen> OOC: Make an occult+stamina roll, Phi?
[19:35] <Phi> 1d10 for I'm screwed.
[19:35] * Hatbot --> "Phi rolls 1d10 for I'm screwed. and gets 9." [1d10=9]
[19:35] <Kallen> A surge of power catches Phi unaware- he sees the mill has gotten clogged up! It sticks to him, as though trying to suck him in- but somehow, he manages to tear his body away from it, and flings himself to the ground!
[19:36] <Phi> "Hah...hah...the things I'll do for the court sometimes..."
[19:37] <Phi> Phi loses the adrenaline rush that had kept him going before, and now the wounds he'd received are really starting to hurt. He gets to his feet, limping over to Charlie. "That...could have gone a lot better."
[19:38] <Kallen> As Ivy tears through the planation with her precious cargo, the sound of dogs baying becomes ever-more oppressive- and close- that's not all. She can hear breaths- human breaths, echoing nearby. At her frenzied pace, she reaches the gateway quickly- but that's not all she finds there! A man has fallen to the ground, straining to reach the portal himself-
[19:39] <Kallen> -a huge, vicious black hound chews at his leg whilst he struggles, yanking him back a step! A heavy-looking backpack lies just on the other side of the portal, as though thrown there in haste!
[19:43] <Phi> "Well, it was a little iffy at some points, but it looks like Stormbringer saved the day again. Come on, old man, let's go home and give the handyman his little prize." Phi is too self-absorbed/recovering from the ordeal to pay attention to the commotion...
[19:45] * Ivy makes a split-second decision, and her original goal comes first. She dashes the rest of the way to the portal and deposits her precious cargo on the ground where it wouldn't get pointlessly mashed by anyone fleeing the Hedge on her heels.
[19:45] <Ivy> Only then, with the satisfaction of having done her job quite well, does Ivy return to the Hedge once more for the human she saw on the other end of the portal. A terrifying hound may be attacking him, but she is not about to let that stop her from kicking it in the side!
[19:45] <Kallen> It takes Ivy a few moments to set it down. That the gateway is still open, at least, is quite a blessing. By the time she returns...
[19:45] <Kallen> roll 5d10
[19:45] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 5d10 and gets 18." [5d10=2, 5, 2, 3, 6]
[19:46] <Kallen> The human still isn't free from the grip- though the dog hasn't been able to drag him further inside the vines, which nip and pick at him! OOC: Make yon brawl+strength check, Ivy?
[19:46] <Ivy> roll 2d10
[19:46] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 2d10 and gets 9." [2d10=5, 4]
[19:47] <Kallen> It's not enough. The dog continuse thrashing away, ignoring Ivy's assault as though it couldn't feel it!
[19:47] <Kallen> roll 5d10
[19:47] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 5d10 and gets 26." [5d10=2, 9, 3, 6, 6]
[19:48] <Kallen> The teeth bite deep, and the man screams in pain. "Aaaaaaaaaaaah!" Not far away, Charlie and Phi can hear his painful cry, but the vines seem to curve about, making it hard to see up ahead!
[19:48] <Phi> "Aw, fuck. Someone else needs my help now?"
[19:50] <Ivy> "I said... get the hell away from him!" Ivy declares, rearing back to kick the dog once more even as the vines about them shudder in shared agitation!
[19:50] <Ivy> roll 3d10 willpower
[19:50] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 3d10 willpower and gets 21." [3d10=4, 9, 8]
[19:51] * Charlie grits his teeth and says absolutely nothing, since Phi's evidently fine.
[19:51] <Ivy> That dog. That dog! She wishes it gone!
[19:52] <Kallen> The vines curl up around the dogs legs and yank it away as Ivy delivers her vicious kicks! The teeth tear free from the man's leg, leaving jagged marks and prompting another yelp! Soon enough, the weeds of the planation bend between herself and the canine. For his part, the man wastes no time in rolling to the other side of the gateway, where he lies, panting in exhaustion...
[19:53] * Ivy wastes precious seconds looking in pride at her accomplishment, before she follows him out past the gateway.
[19:54] <Kallen> "Thanks," he grunts, peering up at Ivy. "Uhhh..." It occurs to her that here, he can certainly see her as she truly is. Phi and Charlie catch up shortly...
[19:54] <Phi> "You're this jealous, Ivy? Seriously, one little car crash and you're running to some other guy just to get away from me."
[19:55] <Ivy> "Hello," she greets him. "Who might you be?" She doesn't forget to check the shadow, cast from one of the field's lights.
[19:55] <Ivy> It also has the added benefit of utterly ignoring Phi.
[19:56] <Kallen> It looks quite human, to her. "Me? Kyle Marina," he replies, clutching at his leg. "Oh, god, that fucking son of a bitch... I thought I was gone back in to that crazy place. Uh, no offense."
[19:57] <Ivy> "None taken. It's not my crazy place, after all." She gives a decent simile of looking concerned. "Can you stand?"
[19:58] <Kallen> "Uh.. probably. Just a sec, I..." He glances worriedly at Ivy for a moment. "You got some bandages or anything? My leg, it's.." 'Pretty fucked up' describes it well- savage gashes are torn into it, not so different from Phi's wounds. They'll take some serious bandaging, and the two will be limping around for a while.
[19:58] <Kallen> OOC: Phi, make a stamina check
[19:59] <Ivy> "Not on me, but it shouldn't be that difficult to get on campus," she muses. "So how did you cross the threshold? Ah, a better question would be why, I suppose."
[20:00] <Phi> 1d10 for owwie owwie owwie
[20:00] * Hatbot --> "Phi rolls 1d10 for owwie owwie owwie and gets 1." [1d10=1]
[20:00] <Kallen> "That's, uh..." The gateway seems to be closing. "Woah! You're normal? No way..."
[20:00] <Phi> "Guh...uggh." Phi feels like he's about to be sick...
[20:00] <Phi> Seriously, this time.
[20:01] <Ivy> "Reasonably so," Ivy agrees. "You're a student here?"
[20:01] <Charlie> "Car," Charlie snaps, as commanding as he can.  "This way.  Phi, guy, can you walk?  Ivy, did you get it?"
[20:02] <Kallen> "Y- yeah, I am. Yeah. just.. give me a hand," he replies, reaching to shoulder his bag.
[20:02] <Phi> "Of course I can. What makes you think I'd have trouble with-" Phi's remark is cut short as he gags.
[20:02] * Ivy gingerly picks up the fragile fruit. "Of course, what did you think? We should get a good container for it, though, since you know how cars are."
[20:03] <Phi> "J-Just come on...let's get outta here. The Hedge is a fucked up place."
[20:03] <Kallen> "If I can just get back to my dorm," he says, glancing briefly at Charlie. "I think we've got stuff there."
[20:04] <Ivy> "Let's take this small diversion?" Ivy proposes. "I would really not like to repeat this experience any time soon, should anything happen to it while in transit."
[20:05] * Charlie glances back at the man, pointedly at his leg. "Son, we need to get you to a hospital... if you say so, though."
[20:05] <Kallen> "Did I look really strange as well? Like.. like, was I made of fire or anything like that?" the man- barely out of boyhood, really- asks, looking hopeful.
[20:06] <Kallen> "Shit, ah.. yeah, we've got first aid stuff there, though. It's not far, I gotta bandage this first..."
[20:06] <Ivy> "Sorry." Ivy shakes her head apologetically.
[20:06] <Phi> "I'll be fine. This is just a flesh wou-gah..."
[20:06] <Kallen> As the boy rises to his feet, he drops his bag- it makes a 'squelch'.
[20:08] <Phi> "That's not meant to do that, is it..."
[20:08] <Ivy> "Depends on what's in it."
[20:08] <Charlie> "Why don't I carry that for you."  It isn't a question, and Charlie slings the bag over his shoulder before helping Phi stand.
[20:09] <Kallen> It's pretty heavy; some bulky object shifts inside it a bit as Charlie picks it up.
[20:11] <Phi> "Urgh..." The squelching noises don't help Phi's nausea in the slightest.

<--->
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake