News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

The Duty a Soldier Carries

Started by Iron Dragoon, July 21, 2010, 10:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

Tristen gallops hard into the gates of the city, slowing only to report in with the City Watch before continuing on to the Regimental Headquarters. He takes the time given to him by the crowd, which slows his progress significantly. On his arrival at the Headquarters, he slips out of his saddle for the first time in what seems days.

He is approached by one of the rank-and-file soldiers in the area, who greets him with, "You the scout from 3rd Regiment?"

<Tristen> stretching from his long ride Tristen nods and mutters a "Yeah, I am."
The soldier nods and motions Tristen to follow him inside the station house. "The Commander's been waiting for you, but I figure we can stop and get you something to eat before you talk to him, if you want."

<Tristen> "It's probably best to attend to the commander as soon as I can." Tristen replied with a small frown.

The soldier nods and leads Tristen past the arms room and to a door, knocking before announcing, "Sir, the scout from 3rd Regiment has arrived." He's answered by a mild voice, "Send him in, then, and send a messenger to the castle to inform them he's arrived."

* Tristen steps into the room, stopping a few paces from the Commander's desk and coming to attention. "Corporal Dawnstrider reporting as ordered, sir." He says with a sharp salute.

The commander, a short but stout man who's jaw and nose look to have been broken multiple times, locks eyes with Tristen and returns the salute, "At ease, Corporal." He motions to a pitch of water and a couple of glasses, "If you've not had any yet, feel free to have some. Give me an over-view of your report."

<Tristen> "Aye, sir" Tristen says as he stands at ease. "My scount company encountered little in our patrol of the Westfold. We sighted trackes of humoniod creatures which shambled throughout the area. I have a strong suspicion that it is the undead, sir, but I did not find any direct confirmation of this. We met up with another scouting party which had come to the same conclusions as us."

The commander nods and rifles over his desk before pulling out a map and weighing it down. "Mark the area, Corporal."

* Tristen moves to the desk and studies the map for a moment before marking out his assigned patrol route including the location of the undead tracks.

<Tristen> "It is difficult to tell where they have gone next, sir. The tracks were too muddled."

The commander nods and pulls out another map, this one having similar markings on it and studies the two.

"Hmm.. This fits in.. Alright Corporal, take a seat. I'll send one of my men to grab you a meal while we wait for the King's advisor."

<Tristen> "Yes, sir." Tristae says as he takes a nearby seat and sits quietly"

He calls in one of his soldiers and issues orders for the meal and various other things. Tristen over hears issues about everything from logistics to training to morale before the officer finishes and turns back to him. "I apologize about the lack of formalities. Things have been in a rush around here lately. I'm Captain Peter Kuznetsov. The advisor that will coming is Nathaniel Hamoh."

<Tristen> "Of course, Sir. I understand."

Captain Kuznetsov nods and goes back to the maps, comparing and making notes and writing out orders, barely noticing when Tristen's meal is delivered and finished, only looking up when a solid knock sounds on his door. "Sir, the guest from the castle is here."

"Send him in, soldier." The door swings in and Tristen gets his first view of Nathaniel, a reedy fellow that seems the consummate clerk, excepting that his back is unusually straight instead of hunched and he meets the Captain's eyes with easy confidence.

* Tristen stands as Nathaniel enters the room.

"Mr. Hamoh, this here is Corporal Dawnstrider. He's--" Captain Kuznetsov is smoothly cut off, but seemingly takes no offense, "Corporal Tristen Dawnstrider, winner of the Solstace archery competition four years running, enlisted into the archer corps of His Majesty's Military, and fourth top scout in Wolf Company, of the 3rd Regiment."

<Tristen> Tristen stays at ease and doesn't react further.

Nathaniel nods, slightly amused, and motions for Tristen to approach the map. "Corporal, if you would? I need your report to be detailed as possible."

<Tristen> Tristen moves over to the map and begins to retell his report to the advisor.

"Hmm.. Well, you're right Captain, it does fit.. It's a good thing you met up with the other scout team, Corporal. Their report is three days late, but you gave us what we needed.. It seems
the Prince made them pay a price.. It looks like whatever was controlling them was put down along with him.. Looks like they're scrambling to collect whatever undead wandered after their controller was killed."

"This gives us a small window.. I need to talk to the King, but I think you should prepare your unit for movement, Captain.. In fact, get one of your companies ready for rapid deployment. We need a stronger force there to act as a screening force and run raiding strikes to give the rest of your Regiment time--"

<Tristen> "Excuse me, sir." Tristen says addressing Nathaniel for the first time "You make it sound as if the Crown Prince has fallen."

Captain Kuznetsov and Nathaniel look caught off guard for the barest of moments and then turn to Tristen with blank looks.

They exchange brief looks before Kuznetsov defers to Nathaniel with a motion. "Ah, yes.." Nathaniel grimaces for a moment. "Corporal.. It is, apparently, my unfortunate duty to inform you that His Highness, Prince Arturo has fallen in battle. The undead your team was tracking is likely part of the force that over came his own." Nathaniel wryly glances at the Captain. "At least this verifies that what we've done to keep it quiet is working."

<Tristen> "I see." Tristen responds his face blanking after a moment of silence.

"As I was saying, Captain, send one of your companies out ahead of your Regiment. We need to reinforce the western front is seems. It looks like they haven't collected up their stragglers there yet, so whatever force they encounter should be under-strength."

Kuznetsov nods thoughtfully.. "I know just which company to send.. I'll send our heavy foot, they're already supplied and geared up for movement. I'll send the orders." Nathaniel nods and gives the Captain a short bow, "Thank you, Captain. I'll have to take my leave now. Corporal, follow me."

* Tristen shoots a look at the Captain and holds his position.

Kuznetsov chuckles and motions for Tristen to go, "He outranks me by a fair bit, Corporal. Go with him."

Nathaniel heads for the door and waits for Tristen to fall into place before heading out of the station house and towards the castle.

<Tristen> "Sir." Tristen salutes and follows the advisor.

"Your discipline serves you well, Corporal. You've been marked out in the service for some time. What you heard about the Prince is to be kept private, I'm sure you realize."

<Tristen> "Yes, sir." Tristen replies.

Nathaniel shrugs, "Either way, you'll not have the chance to spread it around. I'm reassigning you to a small team. I have a task you'll fit well for. Tonight is the Prince's wake, and as such, I have things to do. I expect you to present yourself to me at the castle tomorrow afternoon."

<Tristen> "Understood, sir."

Nathaniel gives him a nod to dismiss him and continues on to the castle.
------
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.