News:

I have a dream that one day, men will be punched in the face not for the color of their skin, but for the awful content of their character.

Main Menu

05. That looks like it hurts.

Started by Corwin, July 24, 2010, 02:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

<--->

[17:12] <Kallen> The student's breath is ragged as he leads the group back to the dorms. Once or twice, he opens his mouth as though to start a conversation, but doesn't get much further than a sigh or a swallow until the dorms are reached. "That's one freaky place, huh," he manages, leaning against a pillar that frames the main entrance-
[17:12] <Kallen> -to a rectangular building, dimly lit by light filtered through a row of trees. "Thanks. I thought I was gone."
[17:14] <Ivy> "You never did explain what you were doing there," Ivy points out, leaning casually on the opposite pillar.
[17:14] <Phi> "Trust me, there's worse in there than the little doggies. Try running from a psychopathic fruit harvester with a scythe, and then you can talk about-jeez, my leg..."
[17:14] * Phi is cut off mid-boast by the usual aches and pains.
[17:16] * Ivy gives Phi a dark look at that.
[17:16] <Kallen> "Yeah... there was this rumour about the place," he replies, after a moment, eyes downcast. "It was... it started out as a dare, I guess, and then we got hooked."
[17:18] <Charlie> "We?" Charlie asks, as innocently as a brooding old man can.  He still holds the student's bag and does not offer to return it.
[17:23] <Kallen> "Some of the guys from the frat," he replies, glancing over his shoulder. "There's meant to be places like that all over the city that you can get in, if you know how... urgh." He gingerly extended a hand towards his knee. "I just... I dunno. I'm stopping, now. It's too fucked up in there."
[17:24] * Ivy nods. "Good call. Getting killed and floating down a river, headless, is the least that can happen by going there."
[17:25] <Phi> "Who the hell told you about that? This might be a bit of a revolution, but things like the Hedge aren't exactly public knowledge."
[17:29] <Kallen> He wipes away at his forehead. "It was a dumb rumour," he repeats. "I can't even remember when it started. We were just chilling by the stadium there one evening, you know? And there was this chick, she just walked up to it, read something off a bit of paper, and then she walked straight on in. It was pretty crazy. We kinda just stood around, until she came out."
[17:31] <Ivy> "How did she look, after coming out?" Ivy asks him curiously, as she doesn't believe in coincidence.
[17:36] <Kallen> "Normal. Pretty hot," he replies. "Not like you guys," he adds, peering up. "She said she was done in there, and told us how to get in. If we were, you know, curious." He swallows. "And that we couldn't tell anyone else, or we'd be cursed. I mean, we decided not to, but I always thought that part was bullshit, otherwise why would she tell us?
[17:36] <Kallen> "Anyway, we took turns going in pairs. There were these little fairy things flying around the first time, and they told us a lot of things. Like, how there were two countries, ruled by a lord and a lady, but they were always at war."
[17:40] <Ivy> "Since she didn't look any differernt, the curse part was probably bogus," Ivy agrees. "Let's get inside for now? You can fill us in on what's in the bag as we go."
[17:42] <Charlie> "Hm."  Charlie nods.
[17:43] <Kallen> "Yeah... my roommates out," he replies, hoarsely. "It was.. there were these fruits. The fairies showed us, and they were really nice- well, fuck it, they gave this awesome rush. But we couldn't take them outside," he says, opening the door and starting inside. "They'd just rot away. So we kept going back for more."
[17:44] <Phi> "They weren't red, were they? Sorta thing that'd keep you up for a week?"
[17:45] <Phi> "Guarded by some crazy guy with a scythe who really wants to cut you up into lots of little pieces?"
[17:45] <Ivy> "Hey, speaking of red, when we went past a map of campus," Ivy says, "the stadium was circled with a red marker. Was that you guys?"
[17:47] <Kallen> "We didn't try to get them while that guy was around. There were these orange ones that did just as well. Well, until they stopped being peaches and started being these.. biting.. things. It's like mario." He pauses before a room, and glances at Ivy. "No, that wasn't us. We didn't want other people finding out, right?"
[17:48] <Charlie> "Tell your friends not to have anything to do with stuff like this.  As if you need the reminder!"
[17:48] <Phi> "Hey, there's an idea. Maybe we should try jumping on those things next time."
[17:49] * Ivy rolls her eyes. "There are many of them and only one of you. You'll get dragged away just like that mutt."
[17:50] <Kallen> "They're one of the ones you can't jump on," he replies. The dorm is quite spacious and tidy, consisting of a bedroom, a lounge, a bathroom and a small kitchenette. A computer is present, as well as a large TV with associated consoles strewn about. A number of sporting pennants and awards are hanging from the wall, accompanied by a few trophies on a bookshelf. (More)
[17:51] <Kallen> They're awarded to two people- Patrick Hayes and Kerry Dublin. "It started of nice. But each time we went there, it was a bit worse.
[17:51] <Phi> "I'm guessing you know that from experience." Phi smiles smugly.
[17:52] <Kallen> "We couldn't stop ourselves. I dunno why. Those howls kept getting closer and closer. They're the wolves of one of those lords or ladies. Apparently they don't like poachers."
[17:54] <Ivy> "How about a container for this fruit?" Ivy reminds their host, glaancing down to the one she's still carryin around. "Afterwards, I could do what I can with first aid. You said you kept a kit, right?"
[17:55] <Kallen> "Uh, there's some plastic boxes in the cupboard," he replies, easing himself onto a sofa, and propping his leg up onto a chair. "Every room has one. It's under the sink."
[17:56] <Charlie> "Have you seen anyone else go into anyplace like that, besides your frat buddies and that lady?"
[17:56] * Ivy sets the fruit down carefully, busying herself with finding the right box.
[17:57] <Phi> "Don't mind me, I'll just keep bleeding over here. I appreciate the offer, Ivy."
[17:58] <Charlie> "Also, have you ever been asked if you were the Gatekeeper, the Keymaster, a god, or associated with Gozer the Gozerian?"
[17:58] <Kallen> "I wasn't, but maybe one of the others... oh. We were asked if we wanted to be gods," he replies staring at his knee.
[17:59] <Ivy> "Don't worry, I'm not so mad I would let you actually die. Horribly infected and wracked by pain? Certainly. But not death." With the proper container secured, Ivy moves on towards securing the first aid kit and taking a look at Kyle's leg.
[18:00] <Kallen> Ivy finds all manner of plastic boxes in all shapes and sizes, one easily fitting the fruit. OOC: Make yon med+intelligence check?
[18:00] <Charlie> Charlie's trace of levity evaporates again.  "Who asked, and how did you respond?"
[18:00] <Ivy> roll 3d10
[18:00] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 3d10 and gets 18." [3d10=3, 9, 6]
[18:07] <Kallen> Binding Kyle's injuries isn't too difficult, but they remain quite serious- he's going to be limping around, and in all likelyhood will require some proper stiches (and likely a crutch; he was hanging on the whole time.) "It was those fairies. They had this rhyme.. 'One and one makes two, love and war's their due, one dies one springs anew, when the bane falls, is it you?'" (More)
[18:08] <Phi> "Gotta appreciate how much fairy education is getting simplified if one plus one is such an achievement."
[18:09] <Kallen> "They kept saying it, but we didn't get it until one of the workers explained it to us. There's always been these lords, but whenever one dies, a new one is decided on. And they get to grow as much fruit as they want, and eat as much as they like. They're like the god of the land."
[18:09] <Ivy> "See an actual doctor first thing in the morning," Ivy instructs Kyle, finally moving to take a look at Phi. "Don't neglect it."
[18:10] <Ivy> roll 3d10
[18:10] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 3d10 and gets 10." [3d10=3, 4, 3]
[18:10] <Charlie> "And you were asked if you wanted to become gods there?"
[18:11] <Kallen> Ivy can't make as much headway with Phi, however. The bloodflow stops, but there's a fetid smell coming from the wound. Disinfectant is rapidly applied- oh, god, it burns!
[18:11] <Kallen> "It was kind of like that... were we even asked? Maybe they just told us what we had to do, and we decided to do it."
[18:12] <Ivy> "Even a real doctor would need more than what the kit's got," Ivy mutters with a dissatisfied frown.
[18:13] <Charlie> "And what did you have to do?" Charlie continues prompting.
[18:15] <Kallen> "We had to declare our intention to become the Lord," he replies. "Just inside the portal. Anywhere would do. Then you have to... make everyone else give up however you can. And if you do- give up-, you become a slave to the new lord." He raises his hands. "It's... I don't know why I did it. But in there, it seemed like the obvious thing to do."
[18:15] <Phi> "Aagh, goddammit! How the hell are you making this worse?!
[18:18] * Charlie chews this over, ignoring Phi's yelps. "Well, uh, don't. Don't go in there again, steer clear of all that stuff, and don't do drugs either."
[18:20] <Kallen> "I won't," he responds. "I'm through with that stuff. It's.. it's like when you're in there, you lose something important. And it only hits you when you come out." He shudders.
[18:22] <Ivy> Ivy's frown deepens, and she jabs Phi with a syringe containing a local anaesthetic.
[18:22] <Phi> "I'm guessing your friends aren't the upstanding citizens they used to b-HEY, watch it! That's gonna...oh. Actually, that's not so bad. Guess I can take the pain after all."
[18:22] <Charlie> "We're going to have to speak with your friends, too.  Can you give us their contact information?"
[18:23] <Ivy> "Those that survived," Ivy adds.
[18:24] <Kallen> "They're all okay," he replies, quickly. "I promised to be the lord, and that I'd give them all fruit. I can... well.. I'll talk to them, right? I'll get them to cut down one of those trees. Think that will stop anyone going in?"
[18:26] <Phi> "Should work, but there's always the risk of another gateway opening up nearby. Be careful 'bout that."
[18:27] * Charlie nods.
[18:37] <Kallen> "Hey.. are you taking that?" asks Kyle, as Charlie begins making to leave.
[18:38] <Charlie> "Yep.  You want the bag back?"
[18:39] <Kallen> "I kinda..."  He bites his lip. "I don't think you wanna open that."
[18:40] <Charlie> "Why not?"
[18:41] * Ivy expected as much from the start, picking up her plastic container and staying out of this.
[18:42] <Kallen> "Any means necessary," he repeats, reaching up to clamp a hand onto his forehead. "I guess that's my tro-" The bag suddenly begins to shudder, as if whatever inside is thrashing about!
[18:42] <Ivy> That, she didn't expect!
[18:43] <Phi> "OK, if you tell me that he brought something back from the Hedge, I swear...say what you will about the leg, but I can still punch him pretty damn hard."
[18:44] <Charlie> Charlie loses his composure for just a second, then produces his handgun again, drops the bag against the wall and fires into it twice.
[18:45] <Kallen> OOC: Make yon firearms+dex check?
[18:45] <Charlie> OOC: For shooting a stationaryish bag at point blank?  >_>
[18:46] <Kallen> OOC: Stationary bag, you say.
[18:46] <Charlie> 6d10
[18:46] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls 6d10 and gets 27." [6d10=3, 5, 3, 4, 9, 3]
[18:48] <Kallen> A bullet slams into the bag! The thrashing abruptly stops, and the container begins leaking something black; the other bullet smashes into one of the trophies, sending it toppling from the bookshelf. Kyle stares, eyes wide-
[18:48] <Kallen> roll 6d10
[18:48] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 6d10 and gets 22." [6d10=4, 4, 8, 3, 2, 1]
[18:48] <Ivy> Even though she's startled, Ivy instantly looks for a tv remote to cover the noise in some plausible way.
[18:48] <Kallen> OOC: Make a wits+composure roll, missy
[18:49] <Ivy> roll 6d10
[18:49] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 6d10 and gets 31." [6d10=10, 1, 2, 8, 2, 8]
[18:49] <Ivy> roll 1d10
[18:49] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 1d10 and gets 3." [1d10=3]
[18:50] <Kallen> After fiddling with the remote for a moment, Ivy's able to turn on the television. This doesn't quite stop her from hearing a muffled expletive from the next room, followed by someone pounding on the wall. "Hey!"
[18:51] <Phi> "Well. Uh. This our cue to run?"
[18:51] <Ivy> "Yell you're sorry for the noise," Ivy hisses to Kyle, lowering the volume.
[18:52] <Kallen> "I'm sorry about the noise!" blurts out Kyle- "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"
[18:53] <Kallen> A terrible screech sounds forth from the bag, as though it contained a wailing infant!
[18:55] <Phi> "SHUT UP, DAMMIT!" Phi kicks the bag in a desperate attempt to silence it
[18:55] <Ivy> That just serves to trigger laughter in Ivy.
[18:55] <Phi> "KYLE YOU ARE A HORRIBLE FATHER, YOU KNOW THAT!?" Phi attempts to create an excuse for why there's a baby crying in the room.
[18:56] <Charlie> Charlie shoves Phi out of the way and fires again!
[18:57] * Ivy almost doubles over, leaning on the back of Kyle's sofa to remain upright.
[18:57] <Charlie> 6d10 if you really need it
[18:57] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls 6d10 if you really need it and gets 45." [6d10=6, 9, 8, 7, 10, 5]
[18:57] <Charlie> d10 for good measure
[18:57] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls d10 for good measure and gets 1." [d10=1]
[18:57] <Kallen> The bag flies into the wall with a wet smack, leaking blood as it drops; the report of another bullet silences the infernal wailing. "What the fuck-" More than a few voices can be heard from elsewhere in the dorm, as well as footsteps.
[18:59] <Phi> "Okay, we aren't very good with this whole subtlety business."
[19:00] <Phi> Phi looks around for a window to jump out of - there'll probably be a little too much attention if they take the conventional way out now.
[19:00] * Ivy gets a hold on herself, rounding the sofa ask looking down at Kyle. "I help you get rid of those coming over, and you'll pay me back for the effort. Deal?"
[19:01] * Charlie waits a second, determining if whatever was inside the bag is really silent now, and if so picks it up again and prepares to leave... until Ivy springs into action?
[19:03] <Kallen> roll 4d10
[19:03] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 4d10 and gets 28." [4d10=8, 8, 9, 3]
[19:03] <Kallen> "Fuck! Alright, how?" he asks. There is a trail of blood staining the wooden floor from where the bag was dropped and kicked; smears of the stuff lie up against the wall. The bag is no longer moving. Nobody seems to be bursting into the room just yet.
[19:06] * Phi quickly hits the light switch, hoping to at least make things easier for Ivy when the time comes
[19:06] <Ivy> "Toss that thing into the bathroom," Ivy commands, hefting Kyle and slinging his arm over her shoulder before heading towards the door. "Toss some cushions over the blood and hide," she adds, and then they are at the door and she opens it to step outside with Kyle.
[19:07] * Charlie follows Ivy's instructions.
[19:08] <Phi> "Agh." The motion's enough to remind Phi about his leg, and he slumps back over to a nearby seat soon after.
[19:08] <Charlie> In fact Charlie will stay in the bathroom with the bag.
[19:08] <Charlie> Just in case.
[19:08] <Kallen> Several guys (and one girl in a nightie) are peering cautiously from their doors; when Kyle emerges, limping, they spring into action! "Kyle, are you alright?! We're calling the cops, there was a gun, right?" Some of the guys are clutching hockey sticks and other repurposes sporting implements.
[19:09] <Phi> "Oh, wait, I need to hide? C'mon, you're asking a lot of the guy who just got scythed in the leg..."
[19:09] <Kallen> The bathroom is spacious and nice. Charlie can certainly imagine taking a pleasant bath in here, at least if he didn't have a seeping bag of guts in tow.
[19:09] <Phi> Phi limps into the bathroom behind Charlie.
[19:11] <Kallen> The bathroom suddenly feels much more cramped.
[19:16] <Ivy> "Sorry, sorry," Ivy says, wobbling, a vapid smile on her lips. Kyle almost slips before she pulls him back up, tilting over dangerously. "Oopsie!" She seems to notice the crowd, giggling. "Poor trophies. Down and down, they fell." Giving Kyle a worried look, she pouts, asking, "They weren't important to you, were they, Kyle?"
[19:16] <Ivy> roll 4d10 mask of superiority +wp
[19:16] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 4d10 mask of superiority +wp and gets 18." [4d10=4, 2, 10, 2]
[19:16] <Ivy> roll 1d10
[19:16] <Kallen> OOC: +WP means you roll +3 dice
[19:16] <Ivy> OOC: doesn't mean autosuccess? k
[19:16] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 1d10 and gets 10." [1d10=10]
[19:16] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 1d10 and gets 10." [1d10=10]
[19:16] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 1d10 and gets 9." [1d10=9]
[19:16] <Ivy> roll 3d10
[19:16] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 3d10 and gets 10." [3d10=5, 2, 3]
[19:19] <Kallen> "It's alright- ow, fuck me," he replies, limping and clinging to Ivy's shoulder. The crowd outside looks quite dubious. "What the hell happened in there? I was sure I heard a gun," says one of the guys, clutching his bat.
[19:23] <Ivy> "If we tell, you promise to keep a secret? Pretty please?" Ivy begs, bringing her palms together and looking up pleadingly at the crowd. "We don't want to get in trouble! We were just playing!"
[19:23] <Ivy> roll 5d10
[19:23] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 5d10 and gets 36." [5d10=10, 8, 9, 2, 7]
[19:23] <Ivy> roll 1d10
[19:23] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 1d10 and gets 5." [1d10=5]
[19:24] <Kallen> roll 6d10 collective disbelief
[19:24] * Hatbot --> "Kallen rolls 6d10 collective disbelief and gets 48." [6d10=10, 8, 7, 10, 3, 10]
[19:27] <Kallen> "Playing? That's one fucking violent game. Did you shoot yourself in the foot for real, or something?" asks one of the guys, glancing dubiously at Kyle's knee. "And you've got a baby in there or something? The hell?" Kyle starts to shake his head.
[19:32] <Ivy> "No, that was a dog!" Ivy insists suddenly, reaching down and gripping Kyle's leg which is bound to induce a cry. "This vicious dog suddenly tried to attack me, but Kyle chased it off! See! There's the bite right there!" She looks contrite once more. "He needed something for the pain, that's all. And it was so real I needed something too, maybe. For the nerves!
[19:32] <Ivy> I didn't mean to drop Kerry's trophies on Kyle's leg, honest!"
[19:37] <Ivy> roll 8d10 seductive fragrance+wp I hate you all
[19:37] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 8d10 seductive fragrance+wp I hate you all and gets 36." [8d10=7, 2, 1, 6, 4, 5, 9, 2]
[19:37] <Ivy> roll 1d10
[19:37] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 1d10 and gets 9." [1d10=9]
[19:37] <Ivy> roll 1d10
[19:37] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 1d10 and gets 2." [1d10=2]
[19:38] <Ivy> roll 3d10
[19:38] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 3d10 and gets 15." [3d10=2, 3, 10]
[19:38] <Ivy> roll 1d10
[19:38] * Hatbot --> "Ivy rolls 1d10 and gets 4." [1d10=4]
[19:39] <Kallen> "A dog?" "Pets aren't allowed, you know." "So, what, did you shoot the dog, Kyle?" One of the guys shakes his head. "I didn't see a dog run out or anything, but look, let's go to the lounge. That looks like it hurts," he adds.
[19:42] * Ivy occupies herself with looking horrified at the pain she had inadvertantly caused Kyle.
[19:44] <Kallen> "Look, uh, it's not that bad," replies Kyle, shaking his head. "The mongrel came in the fucking window, and we kicked it out the same way, so-" "Uh-huuuh. Let's just get you lying down first," one of the guys replies. Obligingly, Kyle begins to limp in that direction- though he pulls his door shut as he exits.
[19:45] <Phi> "Is the coast clear?" Phi mutters as he hears the door close.
[19:47] <Ivy> "You really shouldn't be on your feet!" Ivy agrees, worried now, and tags along at Kyle's side.
[19:49] <Phi> Phi stumbles out, taking a few tissues and doing what he can to clean up the mess.
[19:49] <Kallen> OOC: Camera focus on Phi/Charlie for a moment, actions?
[19:50] <Phi> Clean up Charlie's mess.
[19:50] <Charlie> Charlie also tries to keep the bag as non-drippy as possible, helps clean up the wall quickly, and then we'll be discretely departing?
[19:51] <Kallen> OOC: Make a wits+larceny check, both of you?
[19:51] <Charlie> 5d10
[19:51] * Hatbot --> "Charlie rolls 5d10 and gets 30." [5d10=8, 4, 9, 4, 5]
[19:51] <Phi> 4d10
[19:52] * Hatbot --> "Phi rolls 4d10 and gets 29." [4d10=9, 9, 7, 4]
[19:52] <Charlie> Cleaning up like this is no big deal, Charlie's done it before a few times
[19:53] <Kallen> The mess is dealt with as ably as the changelings can handle; rubber gloves are used to prevent fingerprints, the remants of a bullet is picked up from the floor, blood is cleaned off the carpet as best as they can handle. Only the dent in one of the trophies caused by a stray shot might be cause for concern, but surely it could've got that by falling off the shelf, right?
[19:55] <Phi> "What the hell was that thing, anyway?"
[19:56] <Kallen> OOC: Departing through the window in the dorm, or the front door?
[19:56] <Charlie> Front door.
[19:57] <Charlie> More attention, but hopefully less suspicion.
[20:00] <Kallen> Phi and Charlie manage to make it to the front door of the dorms; it seems most have gone back to their rooms or joined Ivy and Kyle in the lounge. However, a couple of guys are hanging out in the lobby, apparently watching the road outside- "Hey, who're you, old man?" one of them asks, glancing towards Charlie.
[20:02] <Charlie> "Delivery," Charlie sighs.  "You kids and your pranks."
[20:03] <Kallen> "Huh." The sound of a car comes from somewhere to the right of the dorm.
[20:10] <Phi> "C'mon, dad. This delivery took way longer than you said it would. I've got a WoW raid to get to tonight, so can we just go home?"
[20:11] * Charlie nods, rolls his eyes and (hopefully) walks out with Phi

<--->
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake