News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

Rules Debate

Started by Ebiris, August 25, 2010, 02:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebiris

First of all, I'm killing Alignments. Any spells, abilities, or items that rely on alignment can be considered to not exist, although I may allow for replacements on a case by case basis (like if someone wants to play a paladin I might give them bonus feats, we'll see if it comes up). Damage Reduction is changed so that DR/Lawful or Chaotic becomes DR/Cold Iron, and DR/Good or Evil becomes DR/Silver.

Ability score boosting items are as prevalent as in 3.5, and most people hate them for being boring and mandatory. So do you guys want to wipe them out of existence in exchange for larger level up ability score increases and more common inherent bonuses?

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Carthrat

Yes.

(This is a robust debate, eh?)
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Carthrat

Actually maybe it is!

I think this game will have a lot of summoned shit in it, and most summoned animals gain an alignment-baesd template, which I believe come with things like smite and probably other alignment-specific abilities too. Any thoughts on what will happen to them? (PF summons, for the record, are nerfed from the original in that you generally need to be a step higher to get the same monster, e.g. bisons come at summon monster IV, not III.) Obviously I think they should gain something from what they lose, since being able to pick creatures to oppose the alignments whatever you're fighting is plenty useful.

Carthrat

Ok, I just actually read the template and smite is in fact the only really specific thing they get (the other stuff is DR and resistances, which is covered already.)

Smite is rather badass, though, since it's more a combat-long buff than a one-attack thing.

Ebiris

For smites I was planning to have them just work on everything.

As for the aligned animals, we can still keep the two seperate versions since they do have different energy resistances/damage reductions, and just because cosmic constant alignments don't exist doesn't mean you can't have  nice celestial bisons and asshole fiendish ones.

Merc

I don't mind either way on the stat boosting thing.

Since there's no alignments, do cleric/paladin auras even matter/exist in any form?
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Ebiris

The auras only matter for spells like Detect Evil, and since said spells don't exist... um, what noise does a tree make if it falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it?

Merc

It makes a big WOOSH noise! =p
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Carthrat

Oh, I take back what I said about summon monster being weaker. Should've actually looked at them bison stats. Wow!

Corwin

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Carthrat

Your contribution has been noted